The Night Bazaar Is Dying If Not Dead!

cm-happy

Over the past 3 weeks have gone to the night bazaar a few times. The same bars I usually hang out at. I'm usually the ONLY customer!

Have 1 beer and leave for another bar. The same thing.

It's now a total waste of time. Just bar boys and employees asking to buy them a drink.

PS have noticed that The Peak climbing wall has burned.

Any one know what happened or did Lightning strike (arson for insurance)

I heard that one of those things that they send up on every holiday all over the place with flames and hot air fell on the Peak. :o

Did you just input a random set of words there, UG? :D

The bunch of bars that were in that hotel car park halfway down the Night Bazaar used to be a good place to cool off until they all got shoved out around 4-5 years ago.

I heard that one of those things that they send up on every holiday all over the place with flames and hot air fell on the Peak. :o

Those balloon thingies with fire and hot air. Are they called FIDS? :D

They should have kept the old Night Bazaar. At least it looked old fashioned and more interesting.

I heard that one of those things that they send up on every holiday all over the place with flames and hot air fell on the Peak. :D

Those balloon thingies with fire and hot air. Are they called FIDS? :D

They should have kept the old Night Bazaar. At least it looked old fashioned and more interesting.

"Flying Incendiary Devices" :o

In the last few years, we always had a good excuse why High Season wasn't so high: SARS, Bird Flu, The Flower Show. This year there are no good excuses. We have to face facts that tourism to Thailand is decreasing for some reason.

Is the Government capable of doing anything to lure them back?

In the last few years, we always had a good excuse why High Season wasn't so high: SARS, Bird Flu, The Flower Show. This year there are no good excuses. We have to face facts that tourism to Thailand is decreasing for some reason.

probably more likely to be a CM problem, as what I have heard Samui and Phuket are packed full at the moment.

The new look Anursan market seemed to be busy over the weekend.It is a much nicer enviroment for browsing the stalls rather than the night bazzar.Not many people eating in the beer square type thing

I seem to agree about Anusarn. It has more of a market atmosphere about it and no cars or motosi to dodge on the roads.

theres too many stalls selling the same goods to be of any interest to the torists

Im sure if someone started selling a unique product that no one else had, it wouldnt be long before many others started to sell the same stuff.

Theres just not enough tourists around.

probably more likely to be a CM problem, as what I have heard Samui and Phuket are packed full at the moment.

Pattaya seems to be in the same situation as Chiang Mai from what I've read on the forum.

May well be. Cha Am also busy, just had difficulty in getting a hotel room there for a few days.

Pattaya seems to be in the same situation as Chiang Mai from what I've read on the forum.

where have all the fat old balding men gone then? :o

The new look Anursan market seemed to be busy over the weekend.It is a much nicer enviroment for browsing the stalls rather than the night bazzar.Not many people eating in the beer square type thing

I seem to agree about Anusarn. It has more of a market atmosphere about it and no cars or motosi to dodge on the roads.

when its busy in the night bazzar you can barely move at times. More open areas such as Anusarn are much nicer.Why not close the road in the evenings to so people arent squashed onto the sidewalk? spread the stalls out a bit and make a nicer shopping enviroment

when its busy in the night bazzar you can barely move at times. More open areas such as Anusarn are much nicer.Why not close the road in the evenings to so people arent squashed onto the sidewalk? spread the stalls out a bit and make a nicer shopping enviroment

I agree with this, a year or so back they closed off the road and did some sort of food promotion thing in the night bazaar and it was a real pleasure to walk down.

I agree with this, a year or so back they closed off the road and did some sort of food promotion thing in the night bazaar and it was a real pleasure to walk down.

that was probably the mardi gras- they had it 2 or 3 years running in early-mid dec, i understand it will be held next month.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159539

edit; to include link

Edited by Donnyboy

that was probably the mardi gras- they had it 2 or 3 years running in early-mid dec, i understand it will be held next month.

yes that was it, I'll look forward to my annual trip to the night bazaar next month then :o

Last week, I noticed some more tourist goods shops south of Pantip Plaza, almost across from Bake and Bite. Have those stalls always been there? If not, are there even more merchants trying to sell the same souvenirs?

Kind of agreeing with CMSally about the gay bars in the soi behind ChangKlan. Lower customer volume, but not vacant.

Last week, I noticed some more tourist goods shops south of Pantip Plaza, almost across from Bake and Bite. Have those stalls always been there? If not, are there even more merchants trying to sell the same souvenirs?

Those stalls moved in a year or so ago after the petrol station was torn down.

Many years ago, they made the sidewalks (pavement) bigger in the Night bazaar so that you could walk on the outside of all the pushcarts and not have to walk in the street, but the Thais all went crazy because they wanted more room for cars and several days later they tore it all up.

Those stalls moved in a year or so ago after the petrol station was torn down.

theyre mostly empty now as I heard that the owners have said that there wont be any selling of copyright goods.

They might have to change their minds about that one, as many have moved out by the look of it.

BTW, is there a new shopping complex going in between that market and the Locoste store?

Many years ago, they made the sidewalks (pavement) bigger in the Night bazaar so that you could walk on the outside of all the pushcarts and not have to walk in the street, but the Thais all went crazy because they wanted more room for cars and several days later they tore it all up.

no surpises there :o