New fees for Thai visas from August 2003

On thaivisa.com, the following statement appeared after advising new visa fees.

"In a related action, the Immigration Bureau has approved a new regulation governing the requirements for qualifying for extensions of visas. However, at present it is planned to implement this regulation in July 2004. "

Does anyone know what this regulation states? I have seen no discussion of this in any forum, yet it may be more important than increase in fees.

For example, will the regulations prevent extensions beyond 60 days (except in exceptional circumstances)? Will it in any way prevent visa runs (or actually mean they are required more often)? Maybe it will eliminate the need for visa runs, if you are allowed to extend several times within Thailand.

Since the regulations have been approved, there must be information available.

Can anyone help?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Massein

From what I see in your post and private message, you are being ripped of. I made a one year visa purely on the fact that I am married and have a child, I had to prove the 200 000 in a Thai bank. I paid a one off fee of 500 Baht; it was all done in Chiang Mai office. My German Friend much the same, but he did his in MaeSai. Actually he will go and renew on the 6th so will let you know, I never heard of a payment from wife for interview. This my friend is pure BS, as far as I know they should'nt conduct official business outside the immigration office ???  :o

"In a related action, the Immigration Bureau has approved a new regulation governing the requirements for qualifying for extensions of visas. However, at present it is planned to implement this regulation in July 2004. "

Does anyone know what this regulation states? I have seen no discussion of this in any forum, yet it may be more important than increase in fees.

The money requirement for a year extension besed on marriage to Thai citizen will be raised from 200,000 Baht to 400,000 Baht from July, 2004.

*Unconfirmed* info speaks about raising the money requirement for a one year extension based on retirement from 800,000 Baht to 1,500,000 Baht.

This took place during the investigative interview, they were susposed to come to my villege and see the house i lived in and talk to the neighbors , which is in Doi Tao about 160 k from Chiang Mai. I had been told in the office when I made application that I would be expected to reinverse officers for gas expensive. I had ask a friend that lives in my villege how much, and he had paid 2000b. for 2 officers, But they called and ask me to come to Chiang Mai and there was 4 officers. Point was they didn't come to villege I came to them. Now I see that this new deposit requirement will not kick in until july 2004 if that is so I will be alright because i renew in January.

This issue seem to be chaining bye the min. I think the government is counting their eggs before they are laid. I can live with the rules just be consistent. I had brought up the fact of my income , but they were unimpressed but did require proof

Just a couple of "off the cuff" thoughts here:

1) With regards to the 200k/400k bhat rule, is it not possible to take out a short term loan, show the bank statement to the officials, and then repay the money immediately? Technically, you have done nothing wrong?

2) Will the hike in visa fees not simply lead to an increase in those working without the correct visa (a problem the authorities are supposedly trying to stamp out)?

Massein, old bean, sorry to inform you but those nice immigration officers must have seen you coming a mile off and will carry on squeezing your juice until you either complain to their superior (assuming he's not in on the deal, which is quite likely), or find another friend in a high place to pressure them to lay off. Your officers get 2,000 B in their mitts and a free KFC to boot, Chuwit's guys get > 80,000 B/month and some free massages. Same story, different place. TiT.

Contrary to Dr pat Pong's rather smug comments, berating people for having the audacity to complain about the institutionalised racism and bad deals as foreigners people experience in LOS, and saying the visa jumps are justified as they haven't been raised since 86 or sometime way back, I'd just like to add a few words in the moaners defence. One, is that this is part of the idea of a board like this i.e. to let off a bit of steam to a wider forum than over some beers down the bar, which is fine as long as you don't insult anyone (too much). Secondly, is that jumps of 400 % are very steep at one go and will hurt people like myself, with a Thai wife and kid to support, and make us question whether this is the place we want to live. Tourists are fickle creatures anyway, and it won't be the visa fees that keep them away, but other factors like Sars, terrorist threats and the experience / service they receive when in a country. If Thailand can still offer a good deal, the grockles will still come. But the people with family and ties here are slightly different. I could live in UK or I could live here, renting a house, spending my small income in the local economy and hopefully creating a positive impression of "farang" with the people I meet (who mostly have a fairly warped one at present). I can't meet the requirements for a one year multiple-entry O visa right now, so I'll have to continue leaving Thailand for VTE, every 3 months, to get a wee stamp in my passport that will now cost 4 times more for the same lousy service and hassle. This is not the way to keep people in your country, although admittedly the high-end earners and people with residence books already (Dr PP I suspect) are unimpacted and laughing and can afford to be smug. But don't be surprised if you see less of the rest of us around in future.

Much longer than I intended this to be.

I can't meet the requirements for a one year multiple-entry O visa right now

The only requirement is a marriage/birth certificate AFAIK.  If you can not get in Vientiane try Penang.  The bank money/employment becomes an issue if you want to extend your stay.

I can't meet the requirements for a one year multiple-entry O visa right now

The only requirement is a marriage/birth certificate AFAIK.  If you can not get in Vientiane try Penang.  The bank money/employment becomes an issue if you want to extend your stay.

Me Too, twice now in Pennang no problem. Copies only required, Marriage, Wifes ID, Birth certificate of Children. Very easy and quick service, arrive at night. Thai embassy next morning early 9am, make application. Next day after lunch pickup 12 month multiple non O. You must spend 2 nights at least, but many cheap places to stay. I always stay a little longer and enjoy the place, polite people and good entertainment. Different place than Thailand mind, but very pleasant trip.  :cool:

1) With regards to the 200k/400k bhat rule, is it not possible to take out a short term loan, show the bank statement to the officials, and then repay the money immediately? Technically, you have done nothing wrong?

I don’t think that can work, firstly you need a bank guarantee. This letter stating how long you have had the account and how many figures, secondly you need to prove the money was transferred from outside of the country. I guess you could get a loan from foreign bank or just put the cash over from a credit card??? :o

I don’t think that can work, firstly you need a bank guarantee. This letter stating how long you have had the account and how many figures, secondly you need to prove the money was transferred from outside of the country. I guess you could get a loan from foreign bank or just put the cash over from a credit card??? :o

You obtain this visa on the basis that you are providing support in the amount in your account each year.  They will check your bank book and do want to see money in and out on a regular basis.  I don't doubt that some can get away with something like you suggest but I suspect there is a hidden cost and that it may not last.

Pschef & lopburi3,

Cheers for the advice guys and i might just go down to Penang next time for a year's visa, rather than the single O they give at VTE. The only trouble is, it's a dog of a journey down from Isaan by coach/train, while Laos is just up the road. Do you know if Khota Baru also offers the 12 month multi-entry O's, as well as Penang? It's also a nice place and same distance. Still, I'd save on 4 x $30 visas for Laos, I guess, which would ease the pain of the journey some....

'Fraid you don't Doc. You, like most people, offer your own personal views and biases, which you're perfectly entitled to do, but you should recognise them as such and respect other people have a right to their views, rather than getting on your high horse and telling people to pee off if they don't like being the victim of scams or institutionalised racism, like one "Paper" described earleir on in this thread.

Do you know if Khota Baru also offers the 12 month multi-entry O's, as well as Penang?

Last trip tale I read was that they did not and person traveled over to Penang and obtained.  Penang seems to be the preferred place in Asia for this type of visa if you are not doing it in your home country.

Plachon,

It seems that Thai visa. com are currently advertising Khota Baru, I personally have no idea. What I can say is, the trip up & down to Penang costs about 12.000 Thai airways. That is from Chiang Mai. Your cost for stay and visa are pre posted, all depends on your pocket. I think we all agree paying under the table in KFC is not the way to go???

As Lopburi said Penang seems to be the preferred place of visa in Asia that means for Thailand. They seem to have some kind of agreement, country to country. Give and take lets say. I know one of my friends in Saudi, quite a high officer in Thai embassy. He couldn’t give me the same visa, even if he wanted too. Apparently you can get that kind of visa in Paris, over to you Le Thai? I think almost any where in Europe :o

ok if i go to penangi can get the O visa but i have to go over the border every 3 months, not bad. gives time for a little unsupervise play time. but who do i need a birth certificate for me or my wife. we have no children together. so cani still get the 1 year visa without child. and does this still count towards a residents book. Also how many ppl on this board has really gotten a resident book, Ive heard that the odds or small. and the 100,000 wanted by the thai government is just the tip of the iceberg. only 100 given per each country ea year and with this governemnts obsession with getting only rich pple here. Who knows. also heard that speaking relative good thai is a must

Gang, its me DaveYo.  I am at Bumrungrad hospital, my soon to be wife has taken seriously ill.  If you can Dr. Pat Pong, or George, contact me at room 651 here.  Need to speak to you if possible.  Bumrungrad is a great hospital, but I have been here for the last two days.  Got information from the USA Embassy, they are charging Baht rates up the sky, whereas the bank side is low.  Anyway, working on getting married, but hard to do here with wife to be in hospital.   Would appreciate it if any of you can call me at that room.  Hope to hear from you.  Might have to delay my return due to her condition.    :blues: ???

but who do i need a birth certificate for me or my wife. we have no children together.

That would be if the visa were for visit to see child.  For wife you need copy of marriage certificate and perhaps her id card.  I would make first trip with wife so if any question she can confirm your continued relationship (although this is probably overkill).  After first trip they will have records on file.

That would be if the visa were for visit to see child.  For wife you need copy of marriage certificate and perhaps her id card.  I would make first trip with wife so if any question she can confirm your continued relationship.

This quote is mostly correct, but you will need ID copy only and Marriage certificate again copy only. Taking your wife is most surely overkill???  :o

Taking your wife is most surely overkill???  

Not if you want to continue the marriage. :o

FYI:  I never had to give anything other than copy of marriage certificate; but have not done for a few years.

Just to add a little bit on this subject, my friend (German) He went to Maesai and extended his retirement visa today, no hassle. He asked about the hikes, the officer was quite unaware of the new rules ???  :o

I wonder when he will be informed? as we say different strokes for??????? No house visit or KFC lunch :D

apparently there is a miscomunication on my pat to the board.. My understanding is that retirement visa is just to ensure you have enough cas, not to become a burden to the Thai government and are able to spend a lot of money in thailand (they like the spending part) But the marriage visa allows me not to have to go out of the country every 3 months. Just report my address. They come to your house just to ensure that the marriage is real not a set up to get a long term visa. Unit I posted to this board everone I talked to that was married and went to Chiang Mai imm. were shook down for a bribe to insure the papers don't get lost, But for my friends that went to Bkk it was a strightforward transaction. I had to wait 3 months to get the second marriage visa just like the first one and there was not need for investigation and no bribe given. But i'm informed that if i go to Bkk with the same paper work I will get the visa the same day :o

I have lived here for 9 years on marraige visas and Chiang Mai Imm are always up for a bribe so I took my application elsewhere.  No problems now.

I have never heard about a house visit before, I suspect it is just another obstacle put in your way to encourage a bribe.

I have never heard about a house visit before,
This is a requirement but in Bangkok photos of you together are often accepted.
But i'm informed that if i go to Bkk with the same paper work I will get the visa the same day

If you have 800k instead of the required 2-250k (or have done a number of times) perhaps but normal procedure is a 40-45 day extension first for a marriage based extension AFAIK.

Wow! 147 posts and 13,000 + hits on this thread, which has gone skidding around all over the place, but has kind of lost the plot as far as visa cost increases go. Is it time to wind it up, or is there somebody else out there wishing to add their 2 cents worth? And has the reality finally sunk in and we're all ready to accept whatever the powers that be throw at us? I suspect that as usual, we have absolutely zero choice in the matter, and by the time that visa applications do go down, that cause and effect will have been forgotten by those who dreamed up these crazy jumps. And remember, I'm not talking about the tourists who come for less than 30 days and will be unimpacted, but the long termers, who watch their bucks carefully and can decide which country they want to retire / settle down in out of a fair few. Still, maybe, Thailand can live without them, but I reckon it'll be the thin edge of the wedge now for a whole load of other price jumps. (If the govt. thinks it s OK to put up prices 4 times for farang to live here, then why don't we?). Trouble is, one never sees the stats on no. of visa applics or overseas residents living in Thailand, bar wooly figures on illegal immigrants, like an estimated 2 million Burmese (poor sods).  ???

So, new post or carry-on on the original topic?