Six Nations News

Mossfinn

Championship Winners  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Warren Gatland has already named his squad for Wales' game against Italy in 2 weeks' time. He's chosen an entire new front row and both halfbacks, plus a couple of other changes.

He is one shrewd cookie - keeping the others guessing all the time. England missed out big time and I think we're going to regret it for a long time to come.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, I don't know - it's always nice to listen to Stuart "I'm not bitter about being second-string to Rob Andrew for my entire career" Barnes :o

And as for Jonathan "I hate any side that's not Wales and really, really hate England" Davies - well, there's unbiased observation, isn't it?

I quite like Ian Robertson, but no-one has ever taken the place of the great Bill McLaren - in my view, the greatest rugby union commentator the world has ever seen. Incisive without being hyper-critical; could point out errors without being unpleasant; fulsome in praise without brown-nosing; and with a quite encyclopaedic knowledge of the game and its players. He was the best.

Oh, I don't know - it's always nice to listen to Stuart "I'm not bitter about being second-string to Rob Andrew for my entire career" Barnes :o

And as for Jonathan "I hate any side that's not Wales and really, really hate England" Davies - well, there's unbiased observation, isn't it?

I quite like Ian Robertson, but no-one has ever taken the place of the great Bill McLaren - in my view, the greatest rugby union commentator the world has ever seen. Incisive without being hyper-critical; could point out errors without being unpleasant; fulsome in praise without brown-nosing; and with a quite encyclopaedic knowledge of the game and its players. He was the best.

Agreed,Bill McLaren was THE master of his trade.I would add another of his qualities-his gentle humour.

Mmmm. I've just seen the French line-up and for the first time I quite fancy England's chances. France have selected a new half-back pairing and fiddled about with the pack, with the back row in particular being pretty vulnerable. I haven't yet seen the England starting XV, but I don't think there'll be too many changes, with the exception of people coming back from injury.

My own tuppenceworth is that if England can get real forward dominance and rack up a decent score in the first half, France will bring on their - more experienced - subs too late too save the game. Our forwards should (please note the italics!) overpower theirs in the tight five, giving a good platform for the back row to really squeeze and launch the backs. However, France have real talent at 11-15 and if we don't starve them of ball, we'll be made to pay. I hope Chuter plays instead of Regan, because Szarszevsky (sp?) is a handful.

Meanwhile, over here Warren Gatland has been criticised by Kingsley Jones (former Welsh 7 and captain, now head coach at Sale Sharks) for playing Rhys Thomas. Personally, I think it may be a risk but Gatland is such a shrewdie that I'd go with his view. Wales will, IMHO, struggle against Italy, but should just about win, if they keep their heads and can absorb the physicality - they have more skill than the Azurri, but the Italians are quite capable of a simple game plan of smashing down the front door, especially with Bortolami back from injury.

Scotland v Ireland - I'd be most surprised if there is anything to impress.

I've just seen the England line-up. Wigglesworth in for Gomarsall, the other backs unchanged, Sheridan, Regan and Vickery up front, Shaw and Borthwick at lock, Easter, Haskell and Lipman in the back row. Has the makings of a good side. Still not sure about Lipman, though.

Scotland v Ireland - I'd be most surprised if there is anything to impress.

Your reading of the games up to now has been spot on in my opinion, although I am having difficulty in getting to grips with the meaning, 'of the top two inches', however your reading of the

Ireland v Scotland game will be wrong in my opinion.

With

Murphy has that X-factor in attack.
and I have been waiting for the
inclusion of Bowe will add plenty of zip out wide, something that Ireland having lacked in recent outings. The in-form Bowe has the sheer pace to take advantage of any opportunity that comes his way

he is an in form player at the moment.

With Stringer on the bench and Ireland

also have the luxury of a big impact from the bench with the experienced Paul O'Connell, Rory Best, Simon Easterby and Shane Horgan all
I think they will really be able to take it to Scotland in the second half.

I am looking at a 25 point margin here, I hope.

Moss

Your reading of the games up to now has been spot on in my opinion, although I am having difficulty in getting to grips with the meaning, 'of the top two inches', however your reading of the

Ireland v Scotland game will be wrong in my opinion.

"The top two inches" is the top of the head = the brain. Sorry for being obscure, it's just an expression referring to thinking and clever play, rather than just being able to run around.

As for the Ireland v Scotland game, I really hope you're right. I shall be watching it on TV come what may, but I fear it will be error-strewn, panicky and stuttering.

I'm a bit baffled as to why Ireland can't fire on all cylinders. I know they lack strength in depth but they have world-class players and a very, very good coach, IMHO. Maybe they have some mental block after a poor RWC, but the players have been very good at provincial level.

My thoughts also have to be taken in the context of my RWC prediction: an Ireland v NZ final :o

"The top two inches" is the top of the head = the brain. Sorry for being obscure, it's just an expression referring to thinking and clever play, rather than just being able to run around.

Ahh, thanks for that, I searched the internet and found many quotes, but no explanation and obviously no solution from Brian Moore, who has no, 'top two inches', :D .

but I fear it will be error-strewn, panicky and stuttering.

It is going to be wet and windy, so you might not be far wrong.

I'm a bit baffled as to why Ireland can't fire on all cylinders. I know they lack strength in depth but they have world-class players and a very, very good coach, IMHO. Maybe they have some mental block after a poor RWC, but the players have been very good at provincial level.

Join the club.

My thoughts also have to be taken in the context of my RWC prediction: an Ireland v NZ final :o

Yup, lost my bet too,

Moss

Well, today I went for an Italian Victory and An Irish win by 20 points, but I only put money on the Ireland game :o

Trimble, Bowe and Murphy, the pick of the bunch, should be an interesting game against the Welsh coming up.

Moss

Yeah Ireland were alot better today, but it still took them half an hour to start flowing, which will cost them dear against the Welsh. What was that footballesque emptying of the bench with 10 mins to go all about - <deleted> game after that.

So Mossfinn, you are obviously on a winning streak, what do you reckon France v England? I am ever the optimist, but based on their last 2 performances I don't think I would bet on an England win, but would guess there will only be a few points in it.

Predictions only valid before 3am :D

Well Moss, I'm very pleased to say that I was wrong and you were right about the Ireland game. However, without wishing to appear mealy-mouthed about it, Ireland may only have sparked because they were allowed to. Don't misunderstand me, there was some beautiful play in the backs (the forwards weren't great, though), but they were up against a Scottish side who were, I'm afraid, devoid of ideas, conviction, intelligence and continuity of play. I know they miss White, Sean Lamont et al, but that's not good enough. They were dreadful. The good news is that if Ireland can get their gander up and regain their confidence, we may see what they're really capable of. (I still think they miss Flannery, though).

The England game went as I'd hoped, with forward domination releasing the backs against a really poorly-selected French side. Lievremont has to take full responsibility for that one: he read the runes totally and obviously wrong. IMHO, he coaches as he played - an honest grafter, but a journeyman and totally out of his depth against quality opposition at the highest level. England have got some work to do; one swallow and all that. We gave away far too many penalties, but it's going in the right direction. And for heaven's sake - WHEN will Ashton ditch Balshaw?

In the other game, I think the score flattered Wales, to be honest: they only put a load of points on the board once Italy had to chase the game - of which they are notoriously incapable. While they were still in sight, Italy were always a threat. I was very interested to see that Gatland's selection of Rhys Thomas was proved right. In 2 years' time, Wales could be a very, very good side indeed.

And I'd like to set myself up to be shot at here, by expanding on my prediction that Wales would win but without a Grand Slam. I think that the final order of the table will be:

Wales

France

England/Ireland

Ireland/England

Italy

Scotland

(Still can't make my mind up about the Ireland/England placings).

(I still think they miss Flannery, though).

I am beginning to agree with you, Jackman just isn't up to it.

Match Report

Bernard Jackman – When you are the hooker your primary role is to hit your jumpers at the line-out and he struggled. He saw an early line-out throw picked off, was not straight after 32 minutes and was picked off again before the break, negating his good work in the loose. 5

Moss

Six Nations table

23 February 2008 21:42

Team P W D L F A PTS

1 Wales 3 3 0 0 103 42 6

2 Ireland 3 2 0 1 71 50 4

3 France 3 2 0 1 66 51 4

4 England 3 2 0 1 66 58 4

5 Italy 3 0 0 3 38 86 0

6 Scotland 3 0 0 3 34 91 0

Predictions

Ireland 33 Wales 25

Scotland 9 England 20

France 36 Italy 10

Italy 10 Scotland 9

Wales 21 France 25

Ireland 37 England 18

Ireland win championship and Triple Crown :o

Moss

Hmmm... I could be mistaken Moss, but I just get the feeling that you are an Ireland supporter :o

Ok, I'll bite and set myself up to look really stupid (no change there, then). My predictions are:

Ireland 18 Wales 25 (sorry)

Scotland 15 England 30

France 40 Italy 12

Italy 15 Scotland 12

Wales 19 France 27

Ireland 22 England 17

I have absolutely no confidence in the scores and everything is subject to change in the light of injuries or strange selections. The value of your shares may go down as well as up. The management accept no responsibility for any articles left here. No parking.

Hmmm... I could be mistaken Moss, but I just get the feeling that you are an Ireland supporter :o

With your knowledge on the great game Sadders, I thought you would have heard of the Irish Wing Three-Quarter and Munster Centre and Captain Moss Finn, a hero of mine, since as long as I can remember.

post-28619-1204059451_thumb.jpg

Moss

Aha! I KNEW I recognised the name, although - to my shame - I don't remember much about the man. I've just googled him and I still don't really remember much except the name. Sorry - please blame the onset of age and the ravages of alcohol :o

I've just seen that Mauro Bergomasco pleaded guilty to gouging Lee Byrne, and has been handed a 13-week ban. Good. For me, gouging is the worst offence going.

Marc Lievremont has made wholesale changes - and needed to. He's gone for a more conservative selection for the Italy game, but I don't know whether that's part of a deliberate strategy or because he doesn't know what to do after his first master plan failed so spectacularly. I rather suspect the latter.

Dallaglio (sticking in his twopennyworth, as usual) is calling for Cipriani to play instead of Balshaw and, I have to admit, it could be a good shout against Scotland - although not against Ireland, who'd just love to keep him under the high ball all afternoon.

Moss - is Paul O'Connell carrying an injury or is he jaded, or something like that? For my money he was the finest lock forward in the world in the year coming up to RWC and then he went off the boil.

Moss - is Paul O'Connell carrying an injury or is he jaded, or something like that? For my money he was the finest lock forward in the world in the year coming up to RWC and then he went off the boil.

Yes he is carrying a long term back injury agravated during the WC, but I also think he is a little jaded, he is not the player who was nominated for the World Player of the year 2006 or a possible lions Captain during the ill fated O'Driscoll captaincy.

Moss

Ireland v Wales

However, with doubts over Geordan Murphy and Girvan Dempsey, a vacancy has been left at full-back.

The injury problem could see O'Sullivan revert to Plan C if both players are ruled out, with Rob Kearney moving to his preferred full-back berth and Horgan coming in on the right wing and Bowe switching to the left.

Possible problem at Full Back?

Moss

If Ireland do have a problem at 15, it might be a big one - Stephen Jones will give whoever plays there a torrid time. I would anticipate lots of high balls with the excellent Welsh back row and the centres smashing into him. Also, who will be there to cover tackle Shane Williams?

For me, this could be a good game - always assuming Ireland keep their self-belief. I think the set pieces will be equally scrappy but back rows running off 10, plus centre/wings moves could be very good indeed. Where Wales can dominate, IMHO, is the fullback hitting the line at pace and giving the extra man in attack. But Ireland have BOD.

And Brian Ashton has answered my prayers - Balshaw has been dropped! Danny Cipriani comes in at fullback - I think this is a really sensible move, because it's less exposed than 10 and introduces him to international play against - no disrespect intended - a very poor side. Regan goes, replaced by Lee Mears (Chuter is on the bench - I think I might have reversed the roles).

If England keep their heads and stop giving away stupid penalties - Chris Paterson has a formidable boot - we could smash Scotland. However, if we're not disciplined or patient, we could find a huge tartan banana skin waiting for us.

Aha - spoke too soon! Danny Cipriani was seen coming out of a nightclub after midnight last night/this morning and has been dropped, so guess what? You've guessed it - BALSHAW IS BACK IN! NOOOOOOOOO!

Also, Simon Taylor returns at 8 in place of Kelly Brown and Jason White is fit again. The back row battle should be awesome. England to win, though, by 15 (I hope).

Aha - spoke too soon! Danny Cipriani was seen coming out of a nightclub after midnight last night/this morning and has been dropped, so guess what? You've guessed it - BALSHAW IS BACK IN! NOOOOOOOOO!

Also, Simon Taylor returns at 8 in place of Kelly Brown and Jason White is fit again. The back row battle should be awesome. England to win, though, by 15 (I hope).

I note Wasps have come out and publicly slated what they feel is the England camp's over-reaction to DC's indiscretion - and they're likely to pick him against Quins this weekend. D'uh - I'm sure Scotland (rightly) feel that their chances of getting a result have increased in the last 24 hours...

Given that the nightclub manager has gone on the record saying that DC stayed for the briefest of times and wasn't imbibing, I feel Yoda has made one goof too many this time (and does Iain Balshaw have photos of him naked with a donkey or something?!?!)

BA is a gifted assistant coach but lacks the gravitas and objectivity to be a head coach - as shown by events at RWC 07. There are now just too many episodes of poor man/squad management ... his frankly inexplicable cold shouldering of an in-form Josh Lewsey (difficult individual though he is rumoured to be), repeated mishandling of James Simpson-Daniel (Why o why disrupt the lad by calling him to the national squad only not to pick him???) and this farcical episode with Cipriani.

In my opinion the RFU must remove BA straight after the 6N, regardless of England's remaining results, and replace him with a proven head coach, Jake White being the obvious candidate...

CC

Given that the nightclub manager has gone on the record saying that DC stayed for the briefest of times and wasn't imbibing, I feel Yoda has made one goof too many this time (and does Iain Balshaw have photos of him naked with a donkey or something?!?!)

BA is a gifted assistant coach but lacks the gravitas and objectivity to be a head coach - as shown by events at RWC 07. There are now just too many episodes of poor man/squad management ... his frankly inexplicable cold shouldering of an in-form Josh Lewsey (difficult individual though he is rumoured to be), repeated mishandling of James Simpson-Daniel (Why o why disrupt the lad by calling him to the national squad only not to pick him???) and this farcical episode with Cipriani.

In my opinion the RFU must remove BA straight after the 6N, regardless of England's remaining results, and replace him with a proven head coach, Jake White being the obvious candidate...

CC

I'm with much of what you say, CC. Cipriani was actually at a school reunion and indeed wasn't drinking or misbehaving. However, there is a long-standing rule against it and I think it's right to drop him for what was a deliberate infringement. Whether or not the rule is right is a different matter, but everyone has to abide by the same rules.

Lewsey, I am given to understand, is difficult only if he's given too much leash. He needs to be kept in line and he's ok. I fully agree with the general comments about Ashton. He was the only real option after the RFU had let the Robinson thing go on far too long, but I was hoping they'd bring in Gatland after the RWC. But oh no! True to form, they fudged it and lost him, as they did with John Mitchell.

As a former player and now a coach, my view is that players need to be directed positively and to follow a game plan. This doesn't mean a dictatorial style - with international players I would imagine that they can devise their own game plan - but it's not sensible to just give players their head and say "ok lads, pop out and score some tries, make some tackles and see how we get on", which seems to be the Ashton school.

If Ireland do have a problem at 15, it might be a big one - Stephen Jones will give whoever plays there a torrid time.

Kearney at Fullback

The last time Ireland started a competitive fixture without either Dempsey or Murphy at 15 was the Six Nations opener against England back in 2000.

The full-back job falls to winger Kearney and he can expect to be tested early on by the kicking of Wales fly-half Stephen Jones, who holds onto the 10 shirt ahead of James Hook.

You don't write these reports for the BBC do you Sadman? :o

Moss