Breakfast Sukhumvit Bangkok

loytoy

hi Dave , i had the same problem , so i brought my own sausage machine with me to Thailand , with the skins and flavorings

now i live here , but if we do go to a hotel , i take my own sausages for them to cook for me :o

You're not the first person I heard of making their own sausages, but you are the first I've heard of bringing them to a restaurant.

I once went to a small restaurant near Central Latprao where a western guy had the largest collection of sausage making books I've ever seen. He claimed to sell them to some restaurants, but I don't think he was into breakfast sausages. I asked him if he could make scrapple for me. He knew what it was, but declined.

Dave.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Obviously you've never had good down home country Biscuts and Gravy with Pork Patty Sausage on the side.

Kind of a southern U.S. or a country farm type thing, I admit.

The Biscuts have to be done a featherly light texture...not overcooked or too heavy.

The Gravy, by the way, is usually a flour/milk cream type gravy...not a gravy made with meat drippings or a lot of fat in it...if that's what you think of as a gravy.

I used to have neighbors who had a farm with about 60 milk cows. They were up at 4 A.M. every morning feeding the cows, milking them, and then cleaning the barn. About 6 or 6:30 they cleaned up and came in for a breakfast of ham, pancakes with syrup, biscuts and gravy, and pork sausage.

The kind of breakfast that is gaurenteed to clog up your arteries. But note that by the time the had breakfast they had already been working hard for two hours at least.

:o

Now you're talking!!!!!!!

One of the nicest buffet breakfast that I ever had anywhere in the world was at the J.W. Marriott--huge selection of everything and anything you could every want in a breakfast/brunch--fresh, hot, cold. The quality of the foods were top notch. I don't know what the walk in price would be (expensive, but worth it) as the price was included in the room price.

The smoked salmon was fabulous, and the bagels were better than many available in North America. There were just too many items to try for one occassion--and the service was impeccible as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back next time I want an elaborate breakfast when I am in Bangkok.

Anybody know breakfast in BKK that has BISCUITS N GRAVY???????? I cant find anywhere in Thailand :o

Was drinking in a bar last night that was advertising Biscuits and Gravy on its menu board, it was called The Silver Dollar, behind the Dubliner and to the left near the Cabaret place, tucked right up in the corner.

Anybody know breakfast in BKK that has BISCUITS N GRAVY???????? I cant find anywhere in Thailand :o

Was drinking in a bar last night that was advertising Biscuits and Gravy on its menu board, it was called The Silver Dollar, behind the Dubliner and to the left near the Cabaret place, tucked right up in the corner.

The Siver Dollar ??????? Went in there a couple of months ago around nine thirty for breakfast , took almost half an hour to have the food on the table (only one there when i arrived ) had to leave half because of greasy , half cooked . An American came in and plonked himself on a seat way out in the aisle , surrounded by the staff , all drinking shots and beer , Yank had his hand up inside blouses whilst he LOUDLY proclaimed having spent 11,000 Baht the previous evening having just got off the plane .

Yeah sure , i would recommend the place to any-one , if i disliked them enough !!!!!

Another issue that comes up frequently is trying to get a egg properly fried "over medium". The standard fried egg seems to be sunny-side up. And if you ask them to cook both sides, they simply take a sunny-side-up egg and flip it, thus over cooking the entire thing. My wife has taught me to say "Kai kow suk, kai dang, mai suk". Which kind of works, but still doesn't leave enough yoke for two slices of browned (not white!) toast to soak up.

dont you think that you are being just a little too fussy ??

..... and the best breakfast on sukhumvit ?? after 10 laps of the benjasiri park circuit , half a dozen pathongoe and a cup of black thai coffee from the carts outside the park , about 30b , whilst watching the office girls as they go up the steps to the skytrain. pure joy.

Edited by taxexile

Another issue that comes up frequently is trying to get a egg properly fried "over medium". The standard fried egg seems to be sunny-side up. And if you ask them to cook both sides, they simply take a sunny-side-up egg and flip it, thus over cooking the entire thing. My wife has taught me to say "Kai kow suk, kai dang, mai suk". Which kind of works, but still doesn't leave enough yoke for two slices of browned (not white!) toast to soak up.

dont you think that you are being just a little too fussy ??

..... and the best breakfast on sukhumvit ?? after 10 laps of the benjasiri park circuit , half a dozen pathongoe and a cup of black thai coffee from the carts outside the park , about 30b , whilst watching the office girls as they go up the steps to the skytrain. pure joy.

Are you not aware you can have food cooked the same style as any place in the world , if you cook it yourself , most places i have eaten in thailand offer the same sevice , that is if you are willing to accept it 'Thai-ised ' when it is presented at your table .

It is rather strange i find , even in the country of origin , the food you get is what you get , cooks vary from restaraunt to restaraunt and you get 'Their 'version of what you order from the menu . Having said that , on my way home from racing moto-cross in Canada , we ate at a restaraunt that advertised ' Home cooking as mother wished she could cook it ' . I rest my case !!!

• 1 month later...

Bringing the thread back to its topic a bit, stopped by the Landmark Hotel's terrace last week for a try at their breakfast, including some specials they're currently advertising, and came away with a very mixed experience. For the price and the location, they really ought to be doing a better job.

First the good... they're currently offering a very nice American breakfast special for 299++, which is priced on their regular menu at 415 baht... It includes bacon, choice of eggs, baked tomato, toast or pastries, a small plate of fresh fruit, your choice of fruit juice, and hot coffee or tea.

My lady had that item that morning, and everything arrived as promised, well prepared and tasty. See the photo below. No complaints, a little bit pricey...but considering all the things that are included, such as juice and hot beverage, it's not too bad....

post-53787-1232945188_thumb.jpg

Now for the bad: In browsing their breakfast menu, I spotted French Toast stuffed with bananas for 145 baht. Now, finding any French Toast around BKK isn't such an easy thing. But finding French Toast stuffed with bananas (which I love) is a really special thing. So I ordered that straight away, looking forward with relish...

Unfortunately, after a long long wait for both of our items, my french toast arrived as two cut slices cut into halves. I cut one bite from the corner, tasted it, and found very nice french toast, but nothing resembling any banana... Then cut into the middle, and still no bananas... And thru the whole dish... no bananas...inside or on the side... GGGRRR!!!!! How can they serve french toast stuffed with bananas and not put even a single banana slice anywhere in the dish.

post-53787-1232945533_thumb.jpg

So that struck a sour note, as did the french toast arriving with only two small plastic packages of honey, but nothing available or offered in the way of maple syrup.... And when I tried to ask to speak with the manager about the problem with the french toast, the answer from the waiter was, manager not arrive until after noon.... OK...so...nothing's going to happen there.

But more broadly, what really ticked me off besides the french toast fiasco was the utter lack of attentive service we found that morning, about 10:30 am on a weekday with only a few other tables occupied out on the terrace. On any number of occasions, we looked looked looked to try to find a waiter or waitress to take our order, refill hot water, bring the bill, etc etc... and usually none were to be found, although 2 or 3 staff popped in and out from time to time. And, keeping to that form, every time we managed to catch one of the wait staff, it was a different person.... So the staff who took our order was different from the one who delivered it was different from the one who brought our bill. So forget about any kind of consistent attention or service.

The specials are nice, and the setting is pleasant and interesting, in that it gives you a nice view of everything passing by on the road. And maybe it was just an off morning in terms of both food provided and service. But there have been a variety of other comments lately about the Landmark's declining food service that makes me think our experience was more characteristic than the exception.

post-53787-1232946531_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1232946544_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1232946563_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1232946586_thumb.jpg

I have never found good biscuits and gravy (they use the drippings and bits from frying the sausage to make the gravy), nor have I found grits. I do like like home fries too, as in potatoes fried up with onions and some paprika, but not the deep fried "french fry" kind of home fries. Hash browns are ok too, but not the McDs kind. One place that does have good home fries is the German restaurant in the Grand President on soi 11. The main building has a restaurant with a buffet type breakfast but they also have the building across the soi and the german restaurant is in there. The last time I was there was September I think and it was still 99baht for coffee, oj, toast, eggs, home fries and I think some bacon and a small bowl of corn flakes. For me it was worth it to go just for the home fries.

What a horrible thought - can't imaging anywhere in Bangkok (or anywhere else for that matter) would serve up such a rank menu item for breakfast.

Biscuits and gravy are delicious. If you want something really vile you should try lovely fried eggs, good bacon, and sausage, accompanied with: baked beans, tinned mushrooms, soda bread, and fried tomatoes. Vile indeed! Good way to ruin some decent bacon, eggs, and sausages.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

• 9 months later...

I was googling for a good Sukhumvit breakfast spot which brought up this thread. Unfortunately, some of the recommendations may have expired whilst others no longer open early for breakfast and at 10 a.m. I tend to be thinking about lunch.

So I wandered the bottom end of Sukhumvit and stumbled upon the Black Swan almost under the stairways for the Asok rapid transit. The place was suitably cool, dark and deserted but open (at 8 a.m.) and the lasses served me one of the best British fry ups I have ever had in Thailand; called the 'Full Monty' on the menu.

On the way back towards Soi 4 on the other side of Suk, I noted that the Noodle Noodle place was open and a sign on the door stated that breakfast was served from 6 a.m. Now That's more like it when I have to be in Thonburi for 8.

• 4 months later...

Well I have had the British breakfast there. In my opinion as bad as a "motorway burger van". Going up the spiral stairs and sitting on the "physical challenged" toilets are often difficult. The food is average but, located in an area that is easily accesable.

Looking for a nice, reasonably priced breakfast buffet in Bangkok. Have eaten at the Fortuna before but there must be a place that serves fluffy pancakes, a good omelet bar and nice bacon for a reasonable price(300 baht or less). :) Don't force me to go to the Nana Hotel or McDonald's...

Edited by mauiguy90

• 5 months later...

dubliner is very good black pudding aint the best tho but has to be the big fry not the small 1 toast would be nice too

the lone star just near the dubliner is good, hash browns great but take your own beans ask them to cook for you as they dont have them and the philli cheese steak lovely

and you can get sucked off while you are eating if that takes your fancy worth a try

cant wait to sell my bar in samui

so many things i miss about bkk

anyone want a bar in chaweng

Where can I get a good breakfast Sukhumvit area?

Unfortunately, you can't really get a good breakfast in Thailand. Well, at least you can't get a good breakfast at any place that calls miniature hot-dogs "pork sausages" or serves ham sandwich meat as grilled ham. If you know of a place with good breakfast sausages, I would love to know. Whenever I visit Thailand, it's the breakfast sausages that I miss most. This is very odd since I don't eat breakfast sausages here in the States very much at all.

My wife and I recently stayed at the Grande Sukhumvit by Sofitel on Soi 6. They had a nice breakfast, but over priced at 600 baht or so. Fortunately our booking included breakfast. Even this overpriced place had mini-hot dogs and ham sandwich meat and I had to tell the cooks at the omelet station not to simply take a pre-cooked sunny-side-up egg and re-cook the other side.

Years ago, I was quite surprised to discover that the Dynasty Inn on Soi 4 knew how to cook eggs "over medium". As I was describing how I wanted my eggs, when the waitress simply said "You want over medium?" So far that's the only place I've found that truly knew how to cook eggs over medium. But the rest of the breakfast was about the same as anywhere else.

Dave.

Dave I agree completely Dynasty knows how to cook your eggs. I lke mine over easy with the egg whites done. perfect every time at Dynasty

• 2 months later...

i am looking for cheap road side food e.g. the Thai noodle soup with duck, chicken and pig's body parts B)

those that goes at 30 Bahts a bowl and 30 Bahts for a cup of coffee.

OOPS forgotten to emphasize - I am hoping to find such food within the Sukhumvit Soi 19 area :rolleyes:

Getting sick with too much of rich bacon and egg from hotel .

thank you all :jap:

will some kind soul please advise me where is Black Swan? Which part of Asoke it is at? e.g. which Soi? Thanks a billion :)

It's not on a Soi - it opens directly onto the Sukhumvit sidewalk, just east of Sukhumvit Soi 14. It is basically under the Asoke BTS Station, opposite the Westin Hotel (which is next to Robinsons).