Golf Is Not Cheap In Thailand

mark lamai

returning from a game a fellow player said golf is cheap in Thailand,

prompted by this i did a quick relative costing.

around pattaya you pay 1000 baht average as a guest society member plus caddy tip min 200 baht.

in thai terms that is 6 times the daily wage of a construction worker for one round of golf.

in aus terms thats approx. $1200.

$1200 in aus on very good courses as a guest would buy you 24 rounds of golf!!

the establishment and running costs of a course in thailand are all thai prices, i.e cheap.

but the green fee is equivalent to an aus course with aus costs.

therefore,

the thai courses must be making a very big profit.

---------------------------------------------------------

also the courses i have played here around pattaya are pretty plain.

Emerald and Eastern Star are better.

playing parkland courses from front white tees,

too many short irons to par 4 greens, very boring.

not worth the money really.

i reckon a 250 baht green fee for most of them would be what they are really worth in thai terms.

and 160 baht for a large beer after the game is robbery,

at least the navy course have cheap drinks,

though the course is a good layout but in rough condition.

unfortunately am off to samui now,

where that wanke_r charges 5000 baht for for his wanky course.

thats a crime against golf, he should be bunkered for life eternal.

around pattaya you pay 1000 baht average as a guest society member plus caddy tip min 200 baht.

in thai terms that is 6 times the daily wage of a construction worker for one round of golf.

the establishment and running costs of a course in thailand are all thai prices, i.e cheap.

therefore,

i reckon a 250 baht green fee for most of them would be what they are really worth in thai terms.

Mark, I think the bus loads of Asians coming to play golf is a good indication that it is cheap when compared to some countries (SK, Japan and Taiwan come to mind).

Emerald and Eastern Star are 'around Pattaya', anything within 60 kms is on the regular playlist. Not sure where you have been playing, the closest are probably Pheonix and Pattaya Country Club, which both can have good or bad days.

If cost is your sole motivator try Century, a bit rough and ready but 500 baht with caddy. If you really want a challenge try St Andrews

I agree..as a general rule golf is cheap here...

When they were planning there clientele the average Thai construction worker probably wasn't at the top of their list...

Bear in mind golf is an expensive game and not for the average joe whether you live in Thailand, USA or UK

I agree..as a general rule golf is cheap here...

When they were planning there clientele the average Thai construction worker probably wasn't at the top of their list...

Bear in mind golf is an expensive game and not for the average joe whether you live in Thailand, USA or UK

Agreed but It is relatively more expensive here from the clothes and tools required to the transport and the various fees. Perhaps not too different at the top end but it just highlights how many in this country have so little that they could never contemplate having a game of golf whereas many in the west can afford it at some level.

In absolute terms it is cheap but I agree with the OP that it is relatively expensive.

Our local ...next door 5 *golf club is an absolutely marvel....smashing place to hand out with a couple of Big Heinees @100 bt each,great T food with Club sarnies to die for (makes a change)and the most amazing sunsets ...over the CMs Eagle and Elephant mountains..idylic...that you have ever seen. :D

The design of the joint is top notch with lux facilities....should see the toilets... :D

They are now building the usual spa,swimming pools and leasure centre and ...I cant wait to see wot else on next visit....

Also gather from speaking to the golfing laddies that the course is world class as well...might even give it a go one ...... :o ..and mai peng... :D ....................FOUR.......................

Mark, I think the bus loads of Asians coming to play golf is a good indication that it is cheap when compared to some countries (SK, Japan and Taiwan come to mind).

Abso-tively! Chew on this one. A long time ago when working in Japan, I was allowed on-demand playing privileges on a military base golf course. At my rates, I got 18 holes, buggy and rental clubs for under $30USD. Most (if not all) of the Japanese base workers were allowed playing privileges once a month, there was a long waiting list, and their fees were $125USD. And that was extremely inexpensive by Japanese standards, especially when there is no such thing as a "pay for play" public course. Now consider that they can play in LoS for less than 1/4 of that and you can start to appreciate just how inexpensive and accessible it is, compared to what most have "back home."

Personally, I really enjoy playing golf and would play every day if I had the time and money. But quite honestly, I don't typically put golf and Thailand in the same sentence for reasons like these. From what I can gather from reading a lot of posts here, unless one is playing at one of the more exclusive and expensive clubs, one's chances of having an enjoyable round versus a miserable one seems no better than a coin flip.

if you read the OP again, you may find out that he says that golf is RELATIVE expensive in Thailand, i.e. comparing average salaries with th costs for the green fee. In ABSOLUTE figures, it might be cheaper than in other countries.

if you read the OP again, you may find out that he says that golf is RELATIVE expensive in Thailand, i.e. comparing average salaries with th costs for the green fee. In ABSOLUTE figures, it might be cheaper than in other countries.

I can say from experience that golf around Hua Hin is more expensive in ABSOLUTE figures than in the U.S. I lived in both California and Florida and played lots of golf in both. I played municipal courses for $25 to $40 per round depending on the season and premier semi-private (country club style courses) for $40 to $100 per round depending on the season. Here in Hua Hin most courses range from a low of 2000 baht to a high of 4000 baht depending on the season, or currently, minimum 60 to 120 U.S. dollars (and that's just the green fee, there are mandatory caddy fees and electric cart rental is much higher here too). I know that Hua Hin is more expensive than a lot of other places in Thailand but the areas I lived in in the U.S. were popular coastal tourist areas also. I think golf here is a bargain compared to some other Asian countries as well as some European countries (Germany, for example) but not the U.S.

• 4 weeks later...

Well from my view point it's expensive. In the UK my wife and I belonged to a reasnably good club and we paid about £1500 a year in membership fees and could play as often as we liked with nothing else to pay.

Here I have purchased two membership shares for about £10K so to start with I have a loss of interest of about £12/week. On top of that we play about 5 times a week, no green fee but caddy fee and tip comes to 860 baht (230 fee and 200tip each)some times a little more. Add on the guy in the locker room..he doesn't get tipped every day. We are coming close to £70 a week for caddy...so something like £82 a week here compared with £30 in the UK.

But I agree one round in the UK costs £20-£30 depends where you play and around her 1000baht +460 caddy so not a lot of difference. These are weekday rates..Of course Hau Hin prices are a little more!

• 4 weeks later...

therefore,

Quite right, golfing can be quite expensive in Thailand.

I found this website which can be useful, it shows all the current discounts on Green Fees.

www.ThailandGolfDiscount.com

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
It is cheap compared to some of the courses I played on. :D

Golf is cheap here if arranged the right way i.e Pattaya Sports Club discount card,society memembership etc ,a lot cheaper than i pay in the UK.Mind you the amount of shots i take to get round,its worth every baht !! :o

Well from my view point it's expensive. In the UK my wife and I belonged to a reasnably good club and we paid about £1500 a year in membership fees and could play as often as we liked with nothing else to pay.

Here I have purchased two membership shares for about £10K so to start with I have a loss of interest of about £12/week. On top of that we play about 5 times a week, no green fee but caddy fee and tip comes to 860 baht (230 fee and 200tip each)some times a little more. Add on the guy in the locker room..he doesn't get tipped every day. We are coming close to £70 a week for caddy...so something like £82 a week here compared with £30 in the UK.

But I agree one round in the UK costs £20-£30 depends where you play and around her 1000baht +460 caddy so not a lot of difference. These are weekday rates..Of course Hau Hin prices are a little more!

And how much did you have to pay for the caddies at your "reasonably good club" in the UK ..... or did you have to do all the caddying for yourselves?

I'm just planning a 4 night golfing break, playing 4 courses, travelling about 1200km, 4 nights hotel accom, food, drink, golf (with caddies), night entertainment ......... and will probably still have change from B15,000, now tell me you could do that in the UK, ..... you wouldn't even get 4 nights in a hotel for that!!

And how much did you have to pay for the caddies at your "reasonably good club" in the UK ..... or did you have to do all the caddying for yourselves?

I'm just planning a 4 night golfing break, playing 4 courses, travelling about 1200km, 4 nights hotel accom, food, drink, golf (with caddies), night entertainment ......... and will probably still have change from B15,000, now tell me you could do that in the UK, ..... you wouldn't even get 4 nights in a hotel for that!!

I had a round at Natural Park Ram Indra in 1998 and met two Canadians who had come down from Tokyo for the weekend. They said that the cost of the airfares, Erawan Grand Hyatt for two nights, taxis and two rounds at Ram Indra plus meals and drinks for the weekend was cheaper than one round in Tokyo!! I guess I will never have the pleasure of a round of golf in Tokyo.

If you compare like for like, husband and wife membership, playing 4-5 times a week the overall cost in Thailand is more than the UK. Yes you have to caddy yourself, we eventually migrated to electric trolleys as many do, due to courses being hilly. But is it really like for like, as you have a caddy here! So maybe I am wrong.

May I suggest you include Uniland in your tour. We love that course and play it at least twice a month. Weekend rates 1400Baht and sports day (Tuesday) 600Baht. You can also stay at the best hotel in Nakhon Pathom for 600Baht, no breakfast.

We were in NZ a month or so ago and played Paraparaumu and Wairakei, now they are expensive.

I just don’t add up our spend on golf each month, including accomodation, but it’s much more than the monthly amount you need to maintain a retirement visa! But why worry, lifes for enjoying, only complaint from I get from my wife is that her legs go dark when she plays in a skirt.

Very easy thread this one and everybody seems to be singing from the same Hymn sheet :D

In comparison to general golf prices in the Developed world countries,it's of course very very

good value(indisputably goes without saying).

As to a relative comparison with Thai standard Blue Collar/white collar salary structures,

why are we even trying to do that folks :o ...any of us who have been in LOS for a

while know this isn't feasible and the working majority here are still firmly rooted in

developing ,3rd world salary structures.

My wife is a teacher,earns 10,155 baht/month.Her good friend "Oiy",works in the New Accounts

section of Kasikorn Bank,South Pattaya Road,earns in the same ballpark.....both degree holders +

seen by Thai people as earning a semi-respectable mid-range salary :D .

It's a whole new economic/sociology thread to delve further here,but alas,that's where we're at

in the LOS....the thought of highly qualified people like this having the money resources to ...

buy a new car,play golf,eat out once a week in a "nice" restaurant,go on a foreign holiday once

a year....it's just not evolved to Western Democratic achievable aspirations yet...nowhere near :D ...

outside of civil service-type jobs it's "relatively common" for Thai people to work 6 day weeks,like

all the staff at the 5-star Royal Cliff hotel,for example,so on their precious 2-4 days off/month

they're not gonna' spend their hard-earned money,or be arsed with golf,to be honest.

This is not a stereotypical,broadbrush stroke of all Thai people,but probably is overwhelmingly

representative of the vast majority of Thai's...especially outside the cities................

There is a fast growing middle class in Thailand, that makes enough money to play golf often. If you get away from the resort areas, you will find that the vast majority of golfers are Thai.

TH

Absolutely. I have seen many Thai golfers, even in the resort areas.

As to the original post. Also very true. In Australia I played 2-3 times per week at my local course at under $20 (540 THB) per game. The local private course (only a good tee shot away from the public course) has a membership of only $5000 (135,000 THB). Any of the courses here in Phuket has a membership of 1,000,000 THB and up, if you can buy one.

To play here, all the courses cost about 2500+ THB. I cannot justify spending this amount of money on a round of golf, no matter how much I enjoy the game. Maybe this is stating that Australia is very fortunate to have inexpensive courses, but Thailand has the inexpensive land and labour, water etc etc to be in the same situation.

I recently was given a "FREE" game of golf at Laguna course. Once I paid the Tax and the caddie fee the price was still over the rates at my old course in Oz.

I guess the clubs will re-gather the dust and spider webs under the stairs again.

Cheers everyone.