Computer Question

john b good

I have created a second account on my PC which my girl has access to. (i.e. a "guest" account)

My computer has two hard drives, "C" is essentially for the operating sustem and "D" is where I keep all my stuff such as banking details, and personal stuff that I would rather she not have access to, to browse at will.

When I have logged on to 'her' account I find that both "C" & "D" drives are accessible.

How do I set it up so that she cannot access the "D" drive.

Is this possible and if so how do I go about it.

Edited by Crow Boy
Moved to Computers

Hi. Not sure how to lock a drive but can suggest ways to lock individual files. If she is not computer savvy you can just change existing files into "hidden" files so they are not visible to her (but she could unhide them) if she knows what she is doing.

A better way is to use a simple freeware program called "EncryptOnClick" produced by 2brightsparks - you will find it via google or similar. Easy to download and easy to use - just don't forget your password!

- CB

For something as important as this I would use drive encryption.. I dont currently use it but securedrive PGPdrive etc are all available.

Dont encrypt your entire machine.. Just a small drive and put all your important stuff in that.. Or you could also look at getting a thumbdrive and encrypting that and put all files there.

Encrypt is probably the best long term answer but there could be some other things you could do. I have a Mac and it is easy to set some sharing preferences (limits on sharing) which keep each users data inaccessible to other users. Probably some easy way to do this with Windows.

You don't mention your OS, certainly some versions of Windoze (eg XP Home) have iffy inter-user security.

If you can't lock out the sensitive data try TrueCrypt http://www.truecrypt.org/ it's free and pretty secure, with a degree of plausible-deniability (not likely to be required in this case but useful in other 'don't want to release secret data' situations).

Or you could have a trained professional (me) work some magic... she won't even know it's there let alone that she can't access it...

Maybe as a trained professional you could tell us what this magic is apart from running a 3rd party app..which isnt so trained

The way this normally works is to just set the permissions on the stuff you don't want others to see. She doesn't have an admin account, so there is no way she can access things that belong to you and are not visible to all.

On Macs, this is the way it works by default. You can't see anybody else's files.

Kind of surprising Windows wouldn't do that? Are you sure you can browse YOUR My documents folder from her account? E.g. Documents and Settings/Username/My Documents...

If you use your computer for online banking and have sensitive data on it, I would recommend a Mac anyway. Simplest way to be safe from viruses and malware. Macs also come with a built-in encryption of private data if you so desire (FileVault). I don't keep any sensitive data on my Windows machine. When I need it on Windows, I have a USB dongle.

Your files on D which you want to protect are probably visible to the guest account because they are not located in your "My Documents" folder. When you create a new user account in Windows, there is an option to "keep your files private" and if selected all files stored in your My Documents folder will be inaccessible to other users.

The easiest solution would be to first create a new user with administrator rights via your control panel and ensure that it is set to keep your files private. This will ensure that your main user account has the correct permissions. Following on from that, your My Documents folder is by default set to be stored on your C drive. You can change the store location by right clicking on the My Documents folder on your desktop and changing the store path to your D drive. Once you have accomplished this, just move all of your files from your D drive into your protected My Documents folder, and finally, delete your old user account (which may not have the correct permissions on it). In the end you will be left with two accounts, your main account plus the guest account which will not have access to your protected files. And remember to set a password on your main user account.

You can achieve all of this without any third party software add-on which is unnecessary if you configure Windows as outlined. Hope this helps.

Your files on D which you want to protect are probably visible to the guest account because they are not located in your "My Documents" folder. When you create a new user account in Windows, there is an option to "keep your files private" and if selected all files stored in your My Documents folder will be inaccessible to other users.

The easiest solution would be to first create a new user with administrator rights via your control panel and ensure that it is set to keep your files private. This will ensure that your main user account has the correct permissions. Following on from that, your My Documents folder is by default set to be stored on your C drive. You can change the store location by right clicking on the My Documents folder on your desktop and changing the store path to your D drive. Once you have accomplished this, just move all of your files from your D drive into your protected My Documents folder, and finally, delete your old user account (which may not have the correct permissions on it). In the end you will be left with two accounts, your main account plus the guest account which will not have access to your protected files. And remember to set a password on your main user account.

You can achieve all of this without any third party software add-on which is unnecessary if you configure Windows as outlined. Hope this helps.

Why would he want to delete his own user account, i would assume he is the admin of the pc...its just a simple permissions on the d drive..very easy

If the steps are followed as I outlined, the old user account would need to be deleted to prevent having two accounts. If the original poster is a novice computer user, creating a new account will probably be easier. Otherwise, of course, the same can be achieved by changing the permissions on the existing user. There are different ways to achieve the same result.

While I havent used it (have no need).. Do all versions of vista have BitLocker or only the higher ones.

As far as I know only Vista Ultimate has the bitlocker facility wich you download with Windows updater. But, I could be wrong.

I'd think changing the permissions is easier, no? Right click on the folder, advanced, change permissions... Creating a new user could have unforeseen consequences. Such as that all settings would be lost, etc.

One thing I don't know: Do Windows permissions work on a FAT32 volume? If not user would have to check if they have NTFS, as, for example, all Acers used to ship with Fat32 prior to Vista.

Edited by nikster

I'd think changing the permissions is easier, no? Right click on the folder, advanced, change permissions... Creating a new user could have unforeseen consequences. Such as that all settings would be lost, etc.

One thing I don't know: Do Windows permissions work on a FAT32 volume? If not user would have to check if they have NTFS, as, for example, all Acers used to ship with Fat32 prior to Vista.

No permissions is NTFS only..but convert easy enough convert d:\fs:ntfs

Or you could have a trained professional (me) work some magic... she won't even know it's there let alone that she can't access it...

Maybe as a trained professional you could tell us what this magic is apart from running a 3rd party app..which isnt so trained

:o ? Have you got anything usefull to say? I don't count snide rhetorical questions or half articulated suggestions about converting the file system, which, based on the nature of the OPs question, are probably not within his realm of expertise.

Guessing the OP lives in Chiang Mai (based on some of his other posts) I'm offering to do it for him, quicker, and safer (for his data and his privacy) than incomplete instructions to perform radical changes to his file system... I wish you luck in your tech support career

John, even if you don't live in CM, I can still do this for you by remote.

:o ? Have you got anything usefull to say? I don't count snide rhetorical questions or half articulated suggestions about converting the file system, which, based on the nature of the OPs question, are probably not within his realm of expertise.

Guessing the OP lives in Chiang Mai (based on some of his other posts) I'm offering to do it for him, quicker, and safer (for his data and his privacy) than incomplete instructions to perform radical changes to his file system... I wish you luck in your tech support career

My tech support career is already 8 years and 2 MCSE's old thank you...

Like i said maybe you could tell us how you plan on weaving your so called magic..

Changing the file system on a separate drive is not radical at all..what are you taking about..it is the only way to apply permissions and thus locking out another user..

As far as the OP's expertise goes..if he can type a post then he can type the command that i posted as it doesnt really need much expertise to do that...

So yet again maybe you could post how a 'trained professional' would solve the OP's problem therefore letting others who might read this thread and have the same problem no the anwser...

I await the mecca

Can people please read the posts....

The OP doesnt want his girl to access the d drive...therefore he puts permissions on the drive itself..easy..

Why people keep posting stuff that is irrelevant ill never know...

he doesnt need to re-create another user..he needs to set permissions..

he doesnt need to encrypt with a 3rd party app..he needs to set permissions...

and he doesnt need any other false misleading infomation..he needs to set permissions..

vey easy even for the trained professional to crasp!!

Can people please read the posts....

The OP doesnt want his girl to access the d drive...therefore he puts permissions on the drive itself..easy..

Why people keep posting stuff that is irrelevant ill never know...

he doesnt need to re-create another user..he needs to set permissions..

he doesnt need to encrypt with a 3rd party app..he needs to set permissions...

and he doesnt need any other false misleading infomation..he needs to set permissions..

vey easy even for the trained professional to crasp!!

He has it right but didn't tell you how.

Right click on D drive and select properties.

Click security tab.

Under groups or users names select Users.

Then under Users permissions uncheck all and she will not be able to access drive.

Don't forget to "unhide" the security tab first....

1. Launch Windows Explorer or My Computer.

2. Click on the Tools at the menu bar, then click on Folder Options.

3. Click on View tab.

4. In the Advanced Settings section at the bottom of the list, uncheck and unselect (clear the tick) on the “Use simple file sharing (Recommended)” check box.

5. Click OK.

Good Luck

I dunno. If a drive suddenly disappeared I'd be made MORE curious as to what was there.

I like the cheap computer of her own idea. It can be set to display in Thai, etc, and then you keep your own computer password-protected, as well as having the sensitive material encrypted just in case you leave it on for a large download and she gets in as you. In fact, I think permissions alone may not be enough because of the potential of her getting on your computer as you.