Info Regarding The Wife

Well the mrs has been here now a week and loves it, apart from the rain :o

She has settlement in realy good and better than what i expected.

Anyway, moving away from that and back to my post, i after some info regarding what my wife should doing regarding this course, test after 23 months.

What should she being doing? studying that life in uk test book? taking some kind of course? im a little lost and confused regarding this.

Obviously we would like to start now, doing a little at a time, and not rushing it towards the end of her sv.

Also with the wife being here she is not able to claim funds.

If for example she went to the doctors and was issued with a perscription, would she have to pay for the perscription? also applies for the dentist, would she have to pay for her treatment?

Thoughts and advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Scotty.........

YES, My wife has to pay for her prescriptions ,except birth control pills, She works, so pays for the dentist (i am pretty sure She would have to pay anyway).

OThers on the board are more qualified than me to tell you about the rest.

Nice to hear she is settling in scotty.

Anyway, moving away from that and back to my post, i after some info regarding what my wife should doing regarding this course, test after 23 months.

What should she being doing? studying that life in uk test book? taking some kind of course? im a little lost and confused regarding this.

Obviously we would like to start now, doing a little at a time, and not rushing it towards the end of her sv.

If for example she went to the doctors and was issued with a perscription, would she have to pay for the perscription? also applies for the dentist, would she have to pay for her treatment?

You have 2 options Scotty. You can either buy the book, study it and go and sit the test for about £35. Or she can attend a ESOL course that is accredited to the LITUK criteria. I don't know your'e area, so you will have to ring the college's and see what best suits your personal situation.

Unfortunately yes, you have to pay. She should recieve a letter from the NHS soon, asking her to make an appointment to go in and see them. She will then get an NHS number and be in the system. However, although going to see the Doc / Hospital is free, any prescriptions have to be paid for.

The NHS letter, how will they know she is here?

I can't remember exactly, i think it must have been when she first landed in the UK and went through immigration, the address is automatically passed on to the NHS. If you don't hear anything in a few weeks, give them a cal.

Also when could she start taking the £35 tests, which would you reccomend? course or studying the book?

Also, where can i purchase the book from?

Most good book shops should stock it Scotty. Have a look at these threads and search a few more, they tell you near enough everything you need to know. It all really depends how good your wife is at reading and writing as to which one you do.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162553

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162987

From our own personal experience, if I were in your shoes this is what I'd do:

Although you've got plenty of time I'd find out where the nearest local college is that does the ESOL Skills for Life / with Citizenship course. We did this last September and found one that was close to home. The course was FREE but however my wife had to finish the course after only a couple of lessons because of work. We thought that we'd just do the LIT UK test instead. I knew it was going to be difficult but after trying to study the book (which cost £10) we knew it was going to be a major uphill task.

Just out of interest I phoned the number on the LIT UK website, I thought the college courses wouldn't start until September but the guy said there was one in my area that was running now. Needless to say I phoned the college and was surprised to hear that the course is 40 hrs at £10 per hour and that would be enough for the wife to get the relavent certificates and letters. So I'd try and get your wife booked onto the free government college courses that start in September. That way she gets English lessons, doesn't have to take the LIT UK test and doesn't have to pay anything.

We've left it late and now we're having to pay out for it. Its lucky this course was available for us as my wifes visa runs out in June and if we had to go through that book I don't think we could have done it in time. My wifes on the course now and is doing really well, its at level thats appropriate for her. Its just a case of seeing this out now and hoping she passes, fingers crossed. Either way I'll update you guys and let you know whether it was worth the money.

Does my wife need to do an ESOL course even though she speeks perfect english??

Thanks

Scotty...

If she can read English and can swot up the 'Life in UK' syllabus she can simply take the test without doing a course. You can buy the book of the syllabus at WH Smiths or from Amazon on the internet.

Passing the test will give her the language requirement for ILR and British Citizenship.

Just looked on amazon at the life in uk test book and there are many different ones.

Which one should we purchase??

Cheers.

Scotty.............

It's the second edition. Test based on chapters 2-6. I ended up getting the info from the government site and ordering it from them because I was so paranoid we would still end up with the wrong one!! Was 9.99 through them in December.

Good luck with it :o

Just looked on amazon at the life in uk test book and there are many different ones.

This one published by the Home Office is the syllabus that she must know to be able to answer the questions

Any of the others may be useful to assist her study, there are also books with sample questions which may give her an idea of what to expect.

See also The life in the UK website

This one published by the Home Office is the syllabus that she must know to be able to answer the questions

Any of the others may be useful to assist her study, there are also books with sample questions which may give her an idea of what to expect.

See also The life in the UK website

If you click on the first link Mahout has provided and scroll downa bit there is an excelent review on the citizenship book!

• 2 weeks later...