B5 Biodiesel

Bruprince

Yep, unlike gasohol E10, B5 (or even B100) works just fine in unmodified engines.

Most reports indicate little change in performance or consumption. Some commentators actually say the stuff's better for your engine as well as the environment, keep on using I certainly use it when it's available :D

EDIT Beware if making your own bio-diesel though. Anyone see the TopGear where they raced a BMW 325Tdi using home made bio-diesel. Their stuff contained too much alcohol (bad manufacture) which knackered the fuel pump :o

Edited by Crossy

The problem with Bio diesel is that much of it is manufactured from crops that are either grown on cleared forest resulting in increased global warming or on farm land previously used for food production resulting in food shortages.

Sounds nice and green but not effective.

If you want to save the planet restrict population growth

The problem with Bio diesel is that much of it is manufactured from crops that are either grown on cleared forest resulting in increased global warming or on farm land previously used for food production resulting in food shortages.

Well, okay; I'm all for helping the environment. But about increasing the population... is it alright to practise? :o

I dont believe all this global warming tosh as there have been warm and cold periods for many centuries.

The difference to me and a lot of people around here in the central region is that we already grow cassava which is used for biodiesel.

Last year around this time we were getting around 1,000 baht a ton and this week it is still 2,200 baht a ton.

The drawback is that fertiliser cost have gone up a lot and we have to wait a while to get the return on the crops.

• 1 month later...

Biodiesel causes cooking oil endless price rise. It may be cheaper to run on biodiesel for motorist but every household is paying heavily for cooking oil thus expensive food. I voted NGV for environmental friendly and the concern for global food recession.

I have read that vegetable oil has very good detergent properties. Using it regularly will keep your fuel system clean. I will have no qualms using it when it becomes available.

As far as negative affects on food prices and cooking oil prices, it is my opinion that is a bunch of crap. When/if farmers can profit by raising more, you will see more land utilized for growing food crops. I'd estimate that 30 percent of the tillable land where I live is NOT being utilized. When you see the USA quit paying farmers for NOT growing anything, that when there may be something to that theory.

Farmers are already concerned that there will be a surplus of cassava because it now is profitable to grow it. New growers jumping in will cause a glut of the product.

I dont believe all this global warming tosh as there have been warm and cold periods for many centuries.

I have to put my input on this, so called global warminmg, been last 2yrs now working in ANTARTICA, with the ship, just this year Brittish geological monitorin station there, told us that last winter was one of the coldest and they had more snow than many other years,, so where is this global warming???

It was cold and windy there whole time and only 2-3 warm totally sunny days...

I put some in the tank today.. But at 29,70 Baht it's not really cheap in my opinion and so i dont really see the advantages.

Depends how you look at it. Are there any disadvantages? Possibly one advantage is the cleaning action.

Depends how you look at it. Are there any disadvantages? Possibly one advantage is the cleaning action.

Maybe there a more advantages than just cleaning the engines, let's say it could even replace diesel but will it cater enough for motorist and still be able to set aside for edible oil and margarine. It depends on weather, labor, fertilizer and large amount of land to achieve and whenever there is a shortage it will affect not only fuel supply but all commodity products affiliated to palm oil. Even non motorists are made to pay for the expense at the supermarket.

Hi :o

In Germany they are offering 100% Bio-"Diesel" (pure vegetable oil) since many years and it works just as good as actual Diesel fuel (the petroleum variant).

But the only way to REALLY "drive green" is hydrogen. You need nothing but DC electricity to crack ordinary water into oxygen and hydrogen, store the hydrogen in tanks and release the oxygen into the athmosphere (healthy living around one such plant). Then use the hydrogen to power a car, as exhaust you'll get - clean water.

Oh and the DC electricity? Solar panels generate DC, and sun there's plenty in Thailand.

Downside? Will never catch on here - because you need Farangs to install the systems. Thais will use cable ties instead of hose clamps and scotch tape instead proper connectors, and hydrogen has some serious pressure behind it - after the 4th explosion the project would be abandoned and hydrogen deemed "too dangerous for us".

Best regards.....

THanh

I see that the garage in Pattaya Nua, Pattaya is selling Biodiesel ay 27.91B per litre, I put some in my Vigo and did not notice any difference in power.

Is this the new fuel that the new E20 engines (like on the new Vios) will be able to use?

Where in Nua is the petrol station?

Is this the new fuel that the new E20 engines (like on the new Vios) will be able to use?

Where in Nua is the petrol station?

NO, this is B5 DIESEL (5% vegetable oil), E20 is GASOHOL (20% ethanol), your Vios will choke and die if you feed it diesel :o

Edited by Crossy