Repercussions Of Overstay

one year ago, police made a check in BKK and catch 12 foreigners for overstay. 3 or 4 people had only 1 day about, nevertheless the can´t go away, they must go in jail same people had more days overstay - police not make different.

1 hour overstay or 3days - there is the same :-(

yeah your right but as far as the OP goes he has a ticket home..so he will be okay for sure..

IJust for the record i dont think they are that bothered about the overstay if you get to the border or airport its just extra revenue..i have had multiple overtstay's ranging from 3 days up to 6 weeks when i was doing the VOA game, but since then with the same passport iv had tourist visa's, NON-B from the BOI and work permit..

I think its the same as everything else seems to be in Thailand no fixed postion..you can have 100 people posting on the same subject and get 100 different anwser's all of which will be right in there personal situation...and it always will be in a country where money talks more than the law..

silly question, but why not go to aiport the day before your plane (no overstay) and wait there your plane. Eventually explaining the situation to the imigration Police?

Will cost nothing

you are wrong buddy You still pay overstay! even if your plain is leaving at 01:00 in the morning and you go thru the immigration before midnight! the immigation calculates the overstay from the time when the plain is leavig, so it doesent matter when you go thru the immigration you still pay!

silly question, but why not go to aiport the day before your plane (no overstay) and wait there your plane. Eventually explaining the situation to the imigration Police?

Will cost nothing

you are wrong buddy You still pay overstay! even if your plain is leaving at 01:00 in the morning and you go thru the immigration before midnight! the immigation calculates the overstay from the time when the plain is leavig, so it doesent matter when you go thru the immigration you still pay!

If you're talking about a one day overstay, you're incorrect as well... A one day overstay cost you nothing!! First day of an overstay is zero baht.. second day is 1000 baht, and 500 baht for each day after..

Hi,

Due to a miscalculation, I will have to overstay for 1 day next month before taking my flight out to NZ. I spend a lot of time here, although I'm not retired or old enough, and have never overstayed before. So assuming I turn up to the airport (at Samui), apologise and pay my fine, will this affect any future touist visa/entry permits I might have?

A 1 day overstay does NOT get you an overstay stamp in your passport. What it DOES get you is a stamp (in thai) that says you were granted a 24 hour extension. NO fine is required to be paid at the aiport. This is not only written on the wall at the airport but been discussed frequently on this board. AFAIK, this only applies to thne airport. Don't think you get the free 1 day at a land border crossing but I'm not 100% on this.

Hope that clears things up.

I've also been on two separate one day overstays, on both of those occassions I was doing a border run to Cambodia, both times it cost me 500 baht, so it's not the same as departing from the airport.. I also received the extra stamp in my passport for the one day extension, or what ever it says in Thai... So, now I have 3 of these stamps in my passport and has not affected my returns to Thailand or my recently approved application for a 60 day tourist Visa..

I think it is advisable to keep your passport and visa history as clean as possible and thus, I would get an extension unless it was the first day and even then, I may not want that stamp in my passport. For people other than occasional tourists who need visas to remain here then no way would I have an overstay.

Will cost nothing

The poster was not stating that. He was advising the OP to go to the airport a day early in case he got stopped ON ROUTE.

If he arrives at the airport a day or two days early and his stamp is valid, he will have NO problems ON ROUTE. ( the next day )

If by waiting at the airport for 1 or 2 days he is then on overstay, its no problem. He pays the fine and he is on his way home. No drama.

Another poster on here was deriding the fact that if he got stopped on route ( on overstay ) he would ( possibly ) be arrested and locked up.

This is TRUE. There are numerous accounts of this happening. Don,t take this lightly.

Edited by stevemiddie

You still well be sent to the overstay desk at the aiport but like I said, no payment required, and the stamp they place in your passport says you were granted a 24 hour extension.

Can someone confirm that the stamp given for 1 day overstay actually says that it is a 24 hour extension, I don't have one to look at.

It's in Thai. I can scan it and post it somewhere next time I have my passport and a scanner in the same place. The one thing anyone can see is the number 24. They give you a 24 hour extension.

You still well be sent to the overstay desk at the aiport but like I said, no payment required, and the stamp they place in your passport says you were granted a 24 hour extension.

Can someone confirm that the stamp given for 1 day overstay actually says that it is a 24 hour extension, I don't have one to look at.

It's in Thai. I can scan it and post it somewhere next time I have my passport and a scanner in the same place. The one thing anyone can see is the number 24. They give you a 24 hour extension.

The annotation in Thai probably says that you overstayed less than 24 hours and were not fined.

--

Maestro

It would be useful to know exactly what it says so that if you're ever asked (by another countries embassy) you can accurately describe.

Yes other embassies do look at 'odd' stamps, I was asked by the Turkish embassy about a stamp in Korean (it was my work permit reference) when applying for a business visa, some years back now mind.

And where might i ask did you hear this complete load of crap....once you go through immigration thats it you are stamped out of Thailand, you could if you wanted to sit in the depature lounge for 3 days with no problem..thats why it is called no mans land...

1 day overstay is hardly worth worrying about. Just pay the fine. It's certainly not worth your time spending the whole night in an airport or whatever.

I overstayed every time when I was there and it was not a problem, it was only 200 baht a day back then though. One guy on the Cambodian boarder did get a bit annoyed with me…he said "why you overstay all the time, overstay overstay, overstay!". They have to fill out a shed load of paperwork and it takes ages compared to just being on time. I doubt though if anyone will take any real notice of overstays unless they are significant but of course it's always best to be on time if you can.

It clearly states that your visa must be valid when you depart Thaialnd, if you visa expires at midnight and your flight leaves at 01:00 the next day, that is classed as an overstay. You will be stopped at passport control.

Please explain how you would go through passport control 3 days before your flight without a boarding pass??? I'm not sure whose talking crap here!

To reply to the original question, and confirm what others have said, a one day overstay cost nothing at the airport. A 2nd day overstay costs 1,000 baht and 500 baht for each day after.

I did have an over stay of 3 days and was refused a tourist visa becuase of this (at HK embassy)

And where might i ask did you hear this complete load of crap....once you go through immigration thats it you are stamped out of Thailand, you could if you wanted to sit in the depature lounge for 3 days with no problem..thats why it is called no mans land...

1. Your visa does not have to be valid on exit. Visas are used for entry only. You must exit before your permitted to stay until date stamp expires. That is not a visa.

2. All overstay days are charged at 500 baht up to limit of 20k. Airport does not normally collect payment for one day only overstay but if more than one day will collect for it.