My Sincerest Apology To The Owner Of Tuskers

kharmabum

The owner of tuskers has contacted me, offered to refund my bill, and is handling the problem in a very profesional manner.

I fear I overreacted in a moment of anger when I wrote about what happened. In retrospect, I can't help but feel sorry for bringing any negative attention to his business. Obviously, it was not his fault and out of his hands what the hired help do. The comment I wrote about the food not being as good as other places mentioned was also petty and unfounded, as anyone who carefully read my original post would conlude, it was my first time there and have only tried one thing.

I also feel guilty about the possibility of this waitress getting fired. I wrote to the owner in a pm that after he talks with her, If he thinks it was just incompetence and not intentional to please not fire her. Of course, if he concludes it was intentional then he has to do what he feels is right for his business. But I can't help but feel guilty, even if the waitress knew what she was doing, was it worth me getting her fired over a lousy 40 baht. These poor girls only make about 4,000 baht a month. i couldn't even pay a months discounted rent in changmai on that little.

anyway, I hope the owner of tuskers accepts my apology, as I know now that he is an upstanding guy and genuinely concerned. As for the waitress, I'm also sorry if I caused you any problems because of my complaint, even if you DID know what you were doing. And as for the other poster who keeps complaining about the drink prices at tuskers... just accept that it's a class joint with ambviance, so of course they're going to charge a little more. The interbar is cheaper because it's a place that bukowski would've drank at. tuskers is more along the lines of sartre, sipping a glass of wine.

Tuskers is top notch place and the owners are brilliant. Staff is great too, I expect it was a one off. I went there 4 nights straight without any problems except for good food, cold lager, reasonable prices, and excellent service. Nought bad to say about the place..... cheers Chaz for intro me to Beer Lao - cant find the bugger anywhere. Major withdraw. :o

Thank you Kharmabum I very much appreciate your comments.

I am still investigating the complaint and will get back to you tomorrow with a full explanation. I doubt very much anyone will be getting fired we all make mistakes and when I talk to the member of staff involved am sure there will be a reasonable explanation.

You can be sure that it was a genuine mistake

People who don't make mistakes don't make anything at all

There is absolutley NO WAY this was done intentionally, and as Chas says he will investigate it right through to its conclusion.

On the previous thread there were some very negative things posted which is dissappointing, in all the time I have been visiting Tuskers I have had nothing but a good time :D

However well done to the OP for starting THIS thread :o

As one of the Mods in Chiang Mai to be honest if I had seen the original post in the other thread I would have closed it immediately and directed the OP to contact Chas by PM. In my opinion in these situations the best situation is to do the following:

1) if presented with a bill that you think is incorrect - ask for verification. This is easier in places where the bill is in English but if in Thai most staff will point to each item and say what it is in Thai.

2) check the prices for each item - sometimes at restaurants items are ordered but not served. The cashier will work off the order and many times not know that something is missing. This is a common complaint about Thai restaurants but in my experience it is much rarer than urban myth will suggest. In the three times in the last five years the item was immediately removed from the bill and an apology offered. I don't believe it was intentional but if I found out it was a consistent error then would exercise my right to not return.

3) if the cashier does not accept the error do NOT start an argument because you will simply lose face and make a fool of yourself in front of everyone. Ask to speak to the manager/owner. They have much more discretion and experience to sort out the problem and it is in their interest to do so. No owner wants unhappy customers or bad press about "being ripped off for 40 baht".

4) In most cases the situation will be resolved but if not then you probably will be better not to return to the place.

I really should apologise to Chas and Rachel of Tuskers, I know both of them well and are friends of mine plus they are active sponsors of the Chiang Mai forum. I cannot believe that this was a case of scamming or anything untoward by their staff. I am a fairly regular visitor to Tuskers and have always enjoyed the experience. They are neither the InterBar which offers Live Music albeit the same every night, nor Number 1 who use other attractions to increase their financials. Tusker is a developing bar/restaurant and they are trying out new things to make them attractive to the tourist and expat community without going down the girlie bar road which is easy but not something that in my opinion Chiang Mai needs. My partner dislikes bars but she is happy for me to visit Tuskers because she knows I only go there for the food, friendship and the odd beer or two.

I am happy that the OP has created this thread, every business needs accurate critique and no business will appeal to everyone. I am sure that those of us who know the place are all surprised by the events and perhaps some who haven't visited or did in the past will pop in.

cheers

CB

Well, that's really nice of you, kharmabum, making such an apology. :o

I know Chas and Rachel, the owners of Tuskers, not other than very kind people, who are ALWAYS ready to reach out a helping hand. And two people who working so very hard to make a living here. Also their staff i know not better than very kind people.

And sure enough, whereever you go, people make mistakes. Sometimes in someone's disadvantage and sometimes in one's advantage (really makes me wonder how many people will tell then the staff that they made a mistake).

It is admitting that one makes a mistake and is willing to apologize for this, what you just did, and the willingness to straighten out that mistake that make both you and Chas real gentlemen, IMO. Thank you! :D

Nienke

As one of the Mods in Chiang Mai to be honest if I had seen the original post in the other thread I would have closed it immediately and directed the OP to contact Chas by PM. In my opinion in these situations the best situation is to do the following:

1) if presented with a bill that you think is incorrect - ask for verification. This is easier in places where the bill is in English but if in Thai most staff will point to each item and say what it is in Thai.

2) check the prices for each item - sometimes at restaurants items are ordered but not served. The cashier will work off the order and many times not know that something is missing. This is a common complaint about Thai restaurants but in my experience it is much rarer than urban myth will suggest. In the three times in the last five years the item was immediately removed from the bill and an apology offered. I don't believe it was intentional but if I found out it was a consistent error then would exercise my right to not return.

3) if the cashier does not accept the error do NOT start an argument because you will simply lose face and make a fool of yourself in front of everyone. Ask to speak to the manager/owner. They have much more discretion and experience to sort out the problem and it is in their interest to do so. No owner wants unhappy customers or bad press about "being ripped off for 40 baht".

4) In most cases the situation will be resolved but if not then you probably will be better not to return to the place.

I really should apologise to Chas and Rachel of Tuskers, I know both of them well and are friends of mine plus they are active sponsors of the Chiang Mai forum. I cannot believe that this was a case of scamming or anything untoward by their staff. I am a fairly regular visitor to Tuskers and have always enjoyed the experience. They are neither the InterBar which offers Live Music albeit the same every night, nor Number 1 who use other attractions to increase their financials. Tusker is a developing bar/restaurant and they are trying out new things to make them attractive to the tourist and expat community without going down the girlie bar road which is easy but not something that in my opinion Chiang Mai needs. My partner dislikes bars but she is happy for me to visit Tuskers because she knows I only go there for the food, friendship and the odd beer or two.

I am happy that the OP has created this thread, every business needs accurate critique and no business will appeal to everyone. I am sure that those of us who know the place are all surprised by the events and perhaps some who haven't visited or did in the past will pop in.

cheers

CB

It seems to me that a very large number of posts on Thai Visa forums, and on many topics, are complaints about one thing or another, and this is the purpose of having an open 'forum'..? We all have experiences, good and bad, and the fact that this particular thread was about a sponsor of this Chiang Mai site, shouldn't matter..? A certain amount of criticism, if justified, can keep people on their toes, and improve the quaility of the service they are providing. I have no first-hand knowledge of Tuskers itself, but going on the predominatly 'positive' feedback I read, I would guess that it is an honest, and well run business. However, there are many in Chiang Mai, and elsewhere, that are not. The apologies from both the OP, and the owner of the establishment, are sufficient to tempt me to visit the place, next time I am in Chiang Mai.

Wow! The last time I heard an apology like this was in a Hollywood movie - a comedy, but I can't remember the name. Anyway: the man making the apology was being held by the ancles out a window on the 10th floor of a building. The apology had the same humble and complete quality as the one below.

I know this is not really relevant to the situation at Tuskers, but to me it was very funny... :o

-AG

The owner of tuskers has contacted me, offered to refund my bill, and is handling the problem in a very profesional manner.

I fear I overreacted in a moment of anger when I wrote about what happened. In retrospect, I can't help but feel sorry for bringing any negative attention to his business. Obviously, it was not his fault and out of his hands what the hired help do. The comment I wrote about the food not being as good as other places mentioned was also petty and unfounded, as anyone who carefully read my original post would conlude, it was my first time there and have only tried one thing.

I also feel guilty about the possibility of this waitress getting fired. I wrote to the owner in a pm that after he talks with her, If he thinks it was just incompetence and not intentional to please not fire her. Of course, if he concludes it was intentional then he has to do what he feels is right for his business. But I can't help but feel guilty, even if the waitress knew what she was doing, was it worth me getting her fired over a lousy 40 baht. These poor girls only make about 4,000 baht a month. i couldn't even pay a months discounted rent in changmai on that little.

anyway, I hope the owner of tuskers accepts my apology, as I know now that he is an upstanding guy and genuinely concerned. As for the waitress, I'm also sorry if I caused you any problems because of my complaint, even if you DID know what you were doing. And as for the other poster who keeps complaining about the drink prices at tuskers... just accept that it's a class joint with ambviance, so of course they're going to charge a little more. The interbar is cheaper because it's a place that bukowski would've drank at. tuskers is more along the lines of sartre, sipping a glass of wine.

Edited by AdultGolfer

I think too often people post in anger without considering two things, that there are two sides to every story and that there could very well be severe ramifications to airing what are petty grievances in a very public forum.

I'm sure Tuskers is a fine operation but surely this is wrong.

Would the thread have been left open if you weren't familiar with the establishment?

Or are negative reports about just not allowed on TV any more.

Cheers

Although my post in the initial thread was defending the establishment, I have to agree with Paulbrun on this one.

For Crowboy to state that he would have 'closed this thread immediately' raises several questions.

Can we not criticise any establishment known personally by one of the mods?

Can we not criticise any of our sponsors? (TAT sounds like a good target) :o

I have several more, but enjoy this forum and do not wish to be banned. Maybe I will be for criticising a mod? Who knows.

Kharmabum, well done. Nice apology. It takes a bigger man to admit they may have been wrong, than to just keep quiet.

By the way Chas, I visited your establishment once (mainly due to reading about it on this forum) on a recent trip ooop north, and my parents and I had an excellent meal and a very pleasant evening.

I think the initial complaint was over the top and very petty.

Many people throughout the forum feel greatly aggrieved, and rush to print, every time they are short changed or ripped off for a few cents. (although if the OP's idea of a big tip is 20 bht perhaps the amount is a major part of his budget) Many then join in the fray with their own minor whinges.

I was once given a bill for 15,000 bht in Patong after a drunken evening. After I let them know a few facts of life the revised bill was around 700. (I've never been that drunk) Didn't feel the need to whinge to the world.

It happens to everyone, everwhere at various times!

The apology was also over the top in an almost sickening way. You have to wonder, is the OP eating for free for the next year or hastily packing before the "Mafia" knock on his door. :o

I think the initial complaint was over the top and very petty.

Many people throughout the forum feel greatly aggrieved, and rush to print, every time they are short changed or ripped off for a few cents. (although if the OP's idea of a big tip is 20 bht perhaps the amount is a major part of his budget) Many then join in the fray with their own minor whinges.

I was once given a bill for 15,000 bht in Patong after a drunken evening. After I let them know a few facts of life the revised bill was around 700. (I've never been that drunk) Didn't feel the need to whinge to the world.

It happens to everyone, everwhere at various times!

The apology was also over the top in an almost sickening way. You have to wonder, is the OP eating for free for the next year or hastily packing before the "Mafia" knock on his door. :o

I think your post is over the top and very petty.

Who said that he was paying a big tip? 20 baht on a 140 bin sounds reasonable to me. Yes he posted hastily, probably thinking that he was doing his TV compatriots a favour. However on reflection, and after discussion with the owner of the establishment, he has realised the error and apologised.

Bitter and twisted doesn't really come close, just let him be. He fckd up and has now apologised, end of.

I think the initial complaint was over the top and very petty...

The apology was also over the top in an almost sickening way.

Are you pretending that you still have teeth or did you just miss your nap?

I know a crock when I see one... :o

I really should apologise to Chas and Rachel of Tuskers, I know both of them well and are friends of mine plus they are active sponsors of the Chiang Mai forum.

I don't see that you have any reason at all to apologize Chas and Rachel. Chas dealt with the situation in a manner that has only enhanced, I believe, his already high standing and reputation in the community as a straight-up, honest and considerate man and business owner. I further think that if you felt, in your own terms, that you had no reason to apologize to Chas and Rachel, you would in fact have done them a disservice.

I really should apologise to Chas and Rachel of Tuskers, I know both of them well and are friends of mine plus they are active sponsors of the Chiang Mai forum.

I don't see that you have any reason at all to apologize Chas and Rachel. Chas dealt with the situation in a manner that has only enhanced, I believe, his already high standing and reputation in the community as a straight-up, honest and considerate man and business owner. I further think that if you felt, in your own terms, that you had no reason to apologize to Chas and Rachel, you would in fact have done them a disservice.

Confused :o

Confused :o

First highlighted point: In my opinion, there was in fact no reason to apologize.

Second highlighted point: CB feels he owes an apology because he did not close the thread. If he had closed the thread (and thus in his terms had no reason to apologize), I think he would have done a disservice to Chas and Rachel, by making them appear that they needed to be protected from honest (if mistaken) criticism and taking away from them the chance to acquit themselves as they have done.

if I might call atention to the forum rules:

7) ... SNIP ... Our contracts with our advertisers prohibit comments with regard to advertisements which appear on our forums. Such comments should not be posted and will be removed.

and

5) Discussion of moderation issues, actions or moderation policies concerning individual cases are not allowed in the forums. Such comments should be directed to a moderator or administrator, and not discussed on the forum.

Rule number 7 has long been regarded as forbidding criticism of forum sponsors on the open forum. If you have problems with a sponsor, you should firstly take it up with the sponsor concerned. If you have no success, please contact Admin and/or the relevant legal authorities.

There has been sufficient criticism of moderators/moderation policy in this thread to qualify for action. I am therefore closing this thread as per Forum Rule 5, as I did the original as per Forum rule 7.

CLOSED