Thai Wives Can Retain Their Maiden Name After Marriage

prodriver

I seem to recall reading a fairly recent posting where it was mentioned that wives here in Thailand did not need to change their family name to that of their husbands any more when they get married. Is this new legislation?

I thought it best when I married my Thai wife 12 years ago that she kept her maiden name but when she last went to renew her ID card in June, 2006 it was discovered during conversation at the Amphur that she was married to a farang. She was told that she should change her name to my surname, which she did. So now her ID card and her tabien baan show her married name. However, her land papers and her firearm licence still show her maiden name. I hope that it doesn't present a problem in the future (it hasn't so far).

I have looked at the "Public Service Manual" under "Thai Gov. web sites" posted by "astral" but it doesn't address the subject. Any information you guys can provide would be appreciated.

It is not that new - about 10 years now if my time machine is on track (at any rate much earlier than 2006). But the amphur probably noticed her ID card said "Miss" rather than "Mrs" and that needs to be changed even if you do not change the last name. Most people do take husbands name so they have probably never made a marriage change without a name change.

Edit: I suspect 12 years ago she was required to take her husbands name so that may have been the reason they insisted on the change.

I seem to recall reading a fairly recent posting where it was mentioned that wives here in Thailand did not need to change their family name to that of their husbands any more when they get married. Is this new legislation?

I thought it best when I married my Thai wife 12 years ago that she kept her maiden name but when she last went to renew her ID card in June, 2006 it was discovered during conversation at the Amphur that she was married to a farang. She was told that she should change her name to my surname, which she did. So now her ID card and her tabien baan show her married name. However, her land papers and her firearm licence still show her maiden name. I hope that it doesn't present a problem in the future (it hasn't so far).

I have looked at the "Public Service Manual" under "Thai Gov. web sites" posted by "astral" but it doesn't address the subject. Any information you guys can provide would be appreciated.

My wife and I have been married for 33 years........our marriage certificate shows her with my last name, but her house registration was never changed (for some reason). We later went to the US where she obtained a US passport, drivers license, etc all showing my last name. Only when we came to live her some 10 years ago, and she applied for a Thai ID card, (she told the clerk that she lost her old one), and upon presenting her house paper, she was given a Thai ID card with her original last name. She's since obtained a Thai passport, again with her Thai last name. When we apply for our annual Thai visas (despite being "thai", she obtains a Thai visa along with me), she fills out the immigration forms showing my last name, but presents copies of her Thai ID card showing her original last name. We've been renewing visas for over 10 years, and never have the immigration folks raised an eyebrow. I guess she's got dual citizenship and dual identity! Only in Thailand!

We've been renewing visas for over 10 years, and never have the immigration folks raised an eyebrow. I guess she's got dual citizenship and dual identity! Only in Thailand!

Although, there is a route to give visas to thai citizens entering Thailand on a non-Thai passport, the easist option is the next time she flies into Thailand, is to re-enter using her thai PP.

No visas, stays as long as she wants, no need to head down to immigration (for her at least).

Would it not be possible to do the British thing of taking both names in the 'double-barrelled' way? Eg, friends of mine got married recently and merged their name so they are now 'Sheppard-Royle', ie, he was Sheppard, she was Royle.

The legislation that allowed wives not to take their husband's surname is fairly recent - about 3 years ago I think. I think that men can also opt for their wife's surname, as in some European countries, to make it absolutely fair but not certain about that. To me it makes sense to let a Thai wife retain her Thai name, if living in Thailand. No need to advertise that she has a farang husband to people who have no particular need to know and might want to charge her higher prices. I can't understand why a Thai with a Thai passport would go to the trouble and expense of getting a Thai visa in her US passport to visit Thailand. The US consulate will help her in Thailand, if she has a problem with the police, anyway.