Monitor Lizards Invading Bangkok

george

WILD IN THE CITY / HIA POPULATION ON THE RISE

Monitor lizards crawling around in abundance in Bangkok

post-128-1201832510_thumb.jpg

BANGKOK: -- For those who believe an old adage that a monitor lizard, or hia, brings bad luck, this might be bad news _ the hia population in the city has increased. Water monitors are still crawling around in abundance in Bangkok and in the provinces, according to Alongkorn Mahannop, a veterinarian at Chitralada Palace. Last year's survey showed there were about 200 water monitors in each district of Bangkok, he said.

Water monitors are particularly abundant in Khlong Phadung Krung Kasem, Khlong Prem Prachakorn, and in the neighbourhood of Government House, parliament, Suan Dusit and Suan Sunandha Rajabhat universities where there are extensive networks of underground drainage pipes which make ideal habitats for the creatures.

There have also been frequent reports about monitor lizard intrusions into city people's residences in recent years.

However, he said their population has declined in some areas.

''This is partly because many of them have been run over and killed while crossing roads.

''Many others are expected to migrate to pollution-free areas in surrounding provinces such as Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan,'' he said.

The number of water monitors in the North is also rising because of less pollution and abundant swamp areas which provide them with rich food sources. A lot are also found in Suphan Buri, Ayutthaya and Pathum Thani provinces.

Thanya Chan-art, an expert on reptiles at the National Science Museum, said water monitors are protected animals.

They may be few in some areas in Bangkok, but overall there are still a lot of them around.

''They keep increasing in numbers because these reptiles have few natural enemies, and their food is always plentiful,'' Mr Thanya said.

Water monitors eat almost anything _ fish, eggs, and even rotten meat.

Water monitors are found near water, while tree monitors or takuad are spotted in dry places or on trees.

The Thai word for the water monitor is hia, which is often used as a very offensive term, or a curse word.

--Bangkok Post 2008-01-30

Water monitors are found near water, while tree monitors or takuad are spotted in dry places or on trees.

Imagine that - water monitors are found near water, and tree monitors are found on trees.

Glad to see someone is monitoring their movement.

Hate to get 'em mixed up

:o

yeah...we got lots in Suphanburi like the article says...in our small town we got a park (good sized for the size of the town) with a 'lake' in the middle an' I occasionally see one or two sunning themselves on the grass verge when I take the push bike out fer a spin...also see the odd one squarshed on the main road to amphur Suphan...

then there's 'ol Bigfella...a monster lizard 2 meters from snout to tip of tail that lives in the vast bullrushes behind our house who I first saw when looking out the back kitchen window one day to my astonishment/horror right after we moved in...from our new 1st floor terrace we now have a magnificent panorama and when at home I get out the binocs to see if I can spot him when there is a commotion in the weeds...haven't seen him lately but the wife assures me that he's still around...

I can recall five occasions in the last five years when I've spotted tua ngern tua tong:

1. One scurried under a parked car near a klong on Nakhon Nakon road.

2. Another was peering from a drainage hole - head only visible - early morning - Phra Samut Chedi -

3. And about a year ago - Thung Khru - Mooban Nalissa - the thing had taken sanctuary under the house I was visiting and then a short while later bolted round the back of the house and disappeared into next door's garden to a cacaphony of barking and howling dogs!

4. Outside my own house about two years ago. There is a klong a few metres away. Was hiding in a drain.

Actually I feel sorry for these things - for as far as I can see - they're chased and hunted down - where ever they go - at least in day-light hours.

How on earth do they ever get the opportunity to mate and reproduce?

Maybe in the murky depths of BKK's numerous klongs in the middle of the night!

Excerpted from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitor_lizard

Monitor lizards are considered to be the most derived lizards, possessing a relatively high metabolic rate for reptiles and several sensory adaptations that benefit the hunting of live prey. Recent research indicates that the varanid lizards, including the Komodo dragon, may have very weak venom.[1] The discovery of venom in Monitor Lizards, as well as in Agamid Lizards, led to the Toxicofera hypothesis: that all venomous reptiles share a common venomous ancestor. Some monitor lizards are apparently capable of parthenogenesis.[2] Almost all Monitor lizards are carnivorous with the exception of the Emerald Tree monitor (Varanus prasinus) which is known to eat berries and some fruit.

Origin of the name

The genus name, "Varanus" is derived from the Arabic word waral ورل, which is translated to English as "monitor". It has been suggested that the occasional habit of varanids to stand on their two hind legs and to appear to "monitor" their surroundings led to the original Arabic name.[3] According to legend, these lizards were supposed to warn people that crocodiles were nearby.[4]

Apparent intelligence

Varanid lizards are very intelligent, and some species can even count.[5] Careful studies feeding V. albigularis at the San Diego Zoo varying numbers of snails showed that they can distinguish numbers up to six.[5][4][6] V. niloticus have been observed to cooperate when foraging.[7] One varanid lures the female crocodile away from her nest while the other opens the nest to feed on the eggs.[7] The decoy then returns to also feed on the eggs.[7][4] Komodo dragons, V. komodoensis, at the Smithsonian National Zoological Park in Washington, D.C., recognize their keepers and seem to have distinct personalities.[4]

Monitor Lizards as Pets

Monitor lizards have become a staple in the reptile pet trade. The most commonly kept monitors are the savannah monitor, white throated monitor, and Acklin's monitor, due to their relatively small size and ease of domestication. Nile monitors, water monitors, mangrove monitors, and papau monitors have also been kept in captivity. Like all reptiles that are kept as pets, monitors need hiding places, and an appropriate substrate (bedding). Monitors also need a large water dish in which they can soak their entire body. In the wild, monitors will eat anything they can overpower, but crickets, superworms, and the occasional rodent make up most of the captive monitors' diet. Boiled eggs, silkworms, earthworms, and feeder goldfish can also be fed to monitors. Monitor lizards have been compared to reptilian cats - independent animals with different personalities. However, due to their predatory nature and large size some monitors can be dangerous to keep as pets. Adult nile monitors can reach seven feet in length, and are stronger than an alligator of equal weight.

Parthenogenesis (from the Greek παρθένος parthenos, "virgin", + γένεσις genesis, "creation") is an asexual form of reproduction found in females where growth and development of an embryo or seed occurs without fertilization by males. The offspring produced by parthenogenesis are always female in species where the XY chromosome system determines gender.

• 3 years later...

post-86619-0-77035200-1305198590_thumb.j

I can recall five occasions in the last five years when I've spotted tua ngern tua tong:

1. One scurried under a parked car near a klong on Nakhon Nakon road.

2. Another was peering from a drainage hole - head only visible - early morning - Phra Samut Chedi -

3. And about a year ago - Thung Khru - Mooban Nalissa - the thing had taken sanctuary under the house I was visiting and then a short while later bolted round the back of the house and disappeared into next door's garden to a cacaphony of barking and howling dogs!

4. Outside my own house about two years ago. There is a klong a few metres away. Was hiding in a drain.

Actually I feel sorry for these things - for as far as I can see - they're chased and hunted down - where ever they go - at least in day-light hours.

How on earth do they ever get the opportunity to mate and reproduce?

Maybe in the murky depths of BKK's numerous klongs in the middle of the night!

indeed, during our walk in Lumphini park yesterday we saw scads of them. Two large ones were going at it big time trying to make little ones.

re .... BANGKOK: -- For those who believe an old adage that a monitor lizard, or hia, brings bad luck, this might be bad news _ the hia population in the city has increased. Water monitors are still crawling around in abundance in Bangkok

i saw this 6 foot what i thought was a moniter lizard near the golden mount / democracy monument area of bangkok in april

but its nothing like the one in the two pics here or a crockodile ... so what on earth was it ..... anyone know ?

just interested ... dave2

post-42592-0-65232600-1305245944_thumb.j

post-42592-0-22507900-1305245970_thumb.j

post-42592-0-49047000-1305245992_thumb.j

post-42592-0-99876000-1305246036_thumb.j

post-42592-0-94002600-1305246050_thumb.j

post-42592-0-78308400-1305246068_thumb.j

post-42592-0-04863800-1305246088_thumb.j

post-42592-0-96333000-1305246520_thumb.j

I had one of the tree types that lived in my two Mango trees for quite a while. I seldom saw it, but the dog used to always be looking and barking at the tree. Eventually it had babies. One got in the house--a most unsettling experience.

The mother eventually crawled up under the undercarriage of a friends car. He wasn't aware of it and drove off with her. I have no idea whoat happened. I don't really like these creatures, but she was seldom seen and caused no problem.

About a month ago I had one of those big water monitors in the yard. It was coming up through a broken drain cover. That one was quite intimidating. I was afraid it was going to eat one of the cats--it once got in the kitchen when the back door was open!

My dog is scared to death of that thing.

Yesterday and baby one was crossing the road and I almost ran over it.

There are loads of monitor lizards around the golf courses in Bangkok and going out towards Pattaya. I caught a pic of this one at Bangpra Golf club and luckily also got the Golf cart in, so you have some idea of the size of the lizard. he was a big boy.

post-35173-0-10144100-1305299075_thumb.jpost-35173-0-10144100-1305299075_thumb.j

I had one of the tree types that lived in my two Mango trees for quite a while. I seldom saw it, but the dog used to always be looking and barking at the tree. Eventually it had babies. One got in the house--a most unsettling experience.

The mother eventually crawled up under the undercarriage of a friends car. He wasn't aware of it and drove off with her. I have no idea whoat happened. I don't really like these creatures, but she was seldom seen and caused no problem.

About a month ago I had one of those big water monitors in the yard. It was coming up through a broken drain cover. That one was quite intimidating. I was afraid it was going to eat one of the cats--it once got in the kitchen when the back door was open!

My dog is scared to death of that thing.

Yesterday and baby one was crossing the road and I almost ran over it.

I see them regularly here in my village, its on the subburbs of BKK. I am not affraid of them and my dogs love chasing them (even the big ones). But the big ones stand their ground the younger ones dont and sometimes get killed if they venture into my garden. The mother dog just hates them because in the past one of them got one of her pups.

My wife woke me up one morning, "Tilac, there is big animal in house". "What sort of animal?", I replied. "Same Same Crocodile" I was informed... That got me out of bed fairly rapidly!

It was a young Monitor, and it had crawled into the bottom of the fridge, at the back where the motor was. I got a cardboard box and placed it by the cavity that it was hiding in and it made a run into the box. That's it I thought... Job done. I took it outside and released it into the overgrown garden of an empty house a few doors down. However that wasn't the end of it... it kept coming back. we found it in the kitchen on at least three more occasions. Each time I'd catch it and evict it. (I used to keep snakes, so I had some idea of how to catch and handle errant reptiles). I think it used to come into the house to eat the dogs food! Then we wen't away for a few days for a weekend break. When we got home I found the poor little beggar dead as a doornail stuck to one of the sticky traps that we have to use to keep the rats under control... RIP

They are "Water Monitors" (Nam Tua) Varanus Salvator Macromaculatus and this name might not be the exact one. This species is very specific to Thailand and nowhere else. There are other species but not the same as here in Thailand. Very common and yes I think their numbers are on the rise. They are very hearty species with no natural enemies except man in populated areas.

Edited by Mrjlh

some years ago a little fella about a meter long emerged from the swamp behind the house, became disoriented and wedged itself between the accordion security screen and the glass door of one of our shop houses...this was before I became used to having them around and I lunged at it with a broom handle shouting: 'Satan, be not proud!'...It managed to extricate itself and then ran across the street to the neighbors ground level outdoor kitchen...

the neighbors soon came home, two jolly fat women that prepare cauldrons of food to distribute to food stalls in town, and I rushed out to warn them of their horrid intruder with flailing of arms and imitation of lizard movement...the wife came out to see what the commotion was about and when I explained there were guffaws all around...the fat ladies chased the little guy out with lots of clanging of pots and pans and he disappeared down the street...

these country folks they tough in lotsa ways that we don't know about...:(

some years ago a little fella about a meter long emerged from the swamp behind the house, became disoriented and wedged itself between the accordion security screen and the glass door of one of our shop houses...this was before I became used to having them around and I lunged at it with a broom handle shouting: 'Satan, be not proud!'...It managed to extricate itself and then ran across the street to the neighbors ground level outdoor kitchen...

the neighbors soon came home, two jolly fat women that prepare cauldrons of food to distribute to food stalls in town, and I rushed out to warn them of their horrid intruder with flailing of arms and imitation of lizard movement...the wife came out to see what the commotion was about and when I explained there were guffaws all around...the fat ladies chased the little guy out with lots of clanging of pots and pans and he disappeared down the street...

What an idiot you really are.

They are harmless and actually good for you, small ones eat all the shitty insects and flys, big ones eat everything. I welcome them on the walls etc, not attack them with brooms, really can't stand violance towards harmless animals by idiots. Hope one comes and bites you in the ass next time.

What an idiot you really are.

They are harmless and actually good for you, small ones eat all the shitty insects and flys, big ones eat everything. I welcome them on the walls etc, not attack them with brooms, really can't stand violance towards harmless animals by idiots. Hope one comes and bites you in the ass next time.

oh dear :angry:...an attitude from one who is totally confused...the monitors they ain't got no suction cups on dey big lizard's feet to eat bugs offa de wall so mebbe you talkin' a toukay lizard?

I like them monitor lizards...it wuz just a mis-understanding...I give dem hugs an' dey scaly feet are good fer massages...but dey be shy animals, can't get too close to dem...

sober up you dumb shit before you post