Backpackers

DJ Pat

Backpacker: Pain in the arse?  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anyone who believes Joe Cummings actually wrote the LP guide has to be tripping...........

Curiouser and curioser.Joe C did and does write the Thailand LP guide with help from others which he freely acknowledges.I suppose he could be seen as the major contributing and co-ordinating editor.So what is all this about "tripping"? Do enlighten us since it is clear from your other posts about asian babes and militant lesbians how wise and well informed you are about Thailand and Thai culture.Even your soubriqet indicates the civilised and enlightened sensibility that one would expect from a man of learning.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, now - steady on chaps! It takes all sorts to make the world go round...

Just had a good look through this thread, some amusing stuff on here! Thankfully AND sadly my backpacking days are behind me mostly now, just the odd trip around a few times a year.

The "Khao San" backpacker is certainly a rare breed though these days. I know the KSR is always busy-ish but nowhere near how it used to be. I personally think it's a good thing as this so called "most famous street in Asia" gives the totally wrong impression of the LOS.

Backpackers are more clued up these days. Aside from the few hippies and beatniks that still think it's cool to wear a sarong in public with their dreadlocks, the "travelling" crowd is finally catching on.

It's theses folks that want to actually go exploring that interest me. Those not that bothered with pay-sex, Full Moon "trips" etc.

If me and my team can help them along the way, then great! If not then great!

It's not known as "Independent Travel" for no reason!

And Boris, having met Joe Cummings several times he is certainly a charming and very intelligent man. He is the main man for LP Thailand but without his crew of researchers he'd struggle....

Think about it, the LP Thailand isout every two years. Could you cover the whole country in two years...? Two decades maybe!

Anyway, always make a good topic of conversation yer Backpackers...!!!

"Keep On Rockin' In The Free World"

:o:D

Always a good topic of conversation though your backpackers!

:D

Backpack Thailand has somewhat stolen my thunder. Only a fool would credit Joe Cummings as the sole source of knowledge in LP Thailand as you did in your previous post. I reckon Boris is one of the breed who quite LP verbatim thinking it to be absolute fact.

Boris, my knowledge of Thailand is my business and despite making the occasional frivolous post, I am pleased to say that I am more than happy with it.

Thankfully I don't need to make wild suggestions about others on here to re inforce my own inadequcies but thank you for doing that for us.

Now, now - steady on chaps! It takes all sorts to make the world go round...

Just had a good look through this thread, some amusing stuff on here! Thankfully AND sadly my backpacking days are behind me mostly now, just the odd trip around a few times a year.

And Boris, having met Joe Cummings several times he is certainly a charming and very intelligent man. He is the main man for LP Thailand but without his crew of researchers he'd struggle....

Backpack, thanks for this good contribution.I certainly agree that Joe Cummings' researchers do a fine job, but as you say Joe is the main man.I don't want to go overboard in my enthusiasm for LP.I still prefer Clarac's guide though I think now out of print.However I think it was necessary for someone to put in a good word for LP on this forum.

Backpack Thailand has somewhat stolen my thunder. Only a fool would credit Joe Cummings as the sole source of knowledge in LP Thailand as you did in your previous post. I reckon Boris is one of the breed who quite LP verbatim thinking it to be absolute fact.

Boris, my knowledge of Thailand is my business and despite making the occasional frivolous post, I am pleased to say that I am more than happy with it.

Thankfully I don't need to make wild suggestions about others on here to re inforce my own inadequcies but thank you for doing that for us.

So silly and puerile that I don't think much comment is needed other than to suggest you check more carefully for spelling and syntax in future.You say you don't make wild suggestions but go on to say I am one of the breed that quotes LP verbatim!! How can making wild suggestions reinforce inadequacies? Suggest you lay off the invective until you can think more clearly.

So silly and puerile that I don't think much comment is needed other than to suggest you check more carefully for spelling and syntax in future
Lay off the spelling and syntax criticisms until you learn to punctuate correctly!
However I think it was necessary for someone to put in a good word for LP on this forum.

Why?

You say you don't make wild suggestions but go on to say I am one of the breed that quotes LP verbatim!!

Where did I say that?

Why not stick to bleating on about how there is too much 'Trailer Trash' in Thailand these days as that seems to be your sole area of expertise.

I haven't bothered to read all the replies here, but just want to reply to the original question.

I feel a little insulted as I, like many, started in Thailand as a backpacker. And it's still the best way to see any country if your passing through.

But of course the poster is referring to the Kao San Road type who don't venture further than the 'safe' areas. But then again, I've met poeple living in Thailand who think they've experienced Thailand by living in Pattaya and think they're daring doing their visa run to Poipet, and god forbid spending some time in a rural village of Thailand away from English speaking bars, or even Cambodia.

Maybe this has been said already.

Anyway, something positive I'd like to add whilst on this note; don't let Poipet put you off Cambodia. If you've never been further than there - try it.

I feel a little insulted as I, like many, started in Thailand as a backpacker....

Excellent point my East-End brother, one that has yet to be raised on this thread. The vast majority of us started life in LOS as a "pesky Backpacker!"

It's a kind of "right of passgae" in some ways and shows the true adventurous spirit of us all....

Perfect comment on Pattaya as well, "Eastbourne in the tropics!"

-- "Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!" --

:o

So silly and puerile that I don't think much comment is needed other than to suggest you check more carefully for spelling and syntax in future

Lay off the spelling and syntax criticisms until you learn to punctuate correctly!

However I think it was necessary for someone to put in a good word for LP on this forum.
Why?
You say you don't make wild suggestions but go on to say I am one of the breed that quotes LP verbatim!!

Where did I say that?

Why not stick to bleating on about how there is too much 'Trailer Trash' in Thailand these days as that seems to be your sole area of expertise.

Nice try but unfortunately you don't seem to have the ability to put an argument together.Are you trailer trash as well? Sorry didn't know that but thanks for the info.OK that's puerile on my part so time for us to shut down on this one.But I think my point on the value of LP and Joe Cummings has been taken by most balanced people.Long may LP thrive and good luck to all young backpackers.You are are a more attractive bunch than the beer soaked middle aged losers(a minority certainly) who haunt this forum.

Eastender:Anyway, something positive I'd like to add whilst on this note; don't let Poipet put you off Cambodia. If you've never been further than there - try it.

A good point, I can't wait to see a bit more than Dodge City and get to Seam Reap for a week or 2. :o

Eastender:Anyway, something positive I'd like to add whilst on this note; don't let Poipet put you off Cambodia. If you've never been further than there - try it.

A good point, I can't wait to see a bit more than Dodge City and get to Seam Reap for a week or 2. :o

Presuming you're heading to Phnom Penh first, be careful!

It's not known as "The New York of S.E.Asia" for nothing!

Worth doing though....

I feel a little insulted as I, like many, started in Thailand as a backpacker....

Excellent point my East-End brother, one that has yet to be raised on this thread. The vast majority of us started life in LOS as a "pesky Backpacker!"

It's a kind of "right of passgae" in some ways and shows the true adventurous spirit of us all....

Whhoooaaaa............................big call.

One I'd happily put serious dollars on that you're way, way wrong.

I don't know anyone in Thailand who started out as a smelly, drugged up, clown panted, dreadlocked, "I'm so cool cause I'm a white man in Bangkok, dude" backpacker.

I'd bet the overwhelming majority of us(?) started out as normal human beings and continued that way!! :o

A "smelly, drugged up, clown panted, dreadlocked, "I'm so cool cause I'm a white man in Bangkok, dude" is NOT a backpacker, it's just a bum!

I refer to the generic term "Backpacker" as in the fact that most of us initially came here as visitors, the vast majority I suspect as "Independent Travellers", just having a look round!

Narrow minded tosser!

Whhoooaaaa............................big call.

One I'd happily put serious dollars on that you're way, way wrong.

I don't know anyone in Thailand who started out as a smelly, drugged up, clown panted, dreadlocked, "I'm so cool cause I'm a white man in Bangkok, dude" backpacker.

I'd bet the overwhelming majority of us(?) started out as normal human beings and continued that way!! :D

Hehehe :o

:D

A "smelly, drugged up, clown panted, dreadlocked, "I'm so cool cause I'm a white man in Bangkok, dude" is NOT a backpacker, it's just a bum!

I refer to the generic term "Backpacker" as in the fact that most of us initially came here as visitors, the vast majority I suspect as "Independent Travellers", just having a look round!

Narrow minded tosser!

Oops, you've upset another backpacker now :D

Narrow minded tosser!

Well maybe in your estimation but I think most people would agree that the term 'backpacker' is more often used to describe the 'bums'.

'Independent Travellers'....<deleted> :o:D:D

But I appreciate your point of view. You're obviously fleecing as many 'ITs' as you can and feel the need to support them. If I was taking their lolly I'd be the same as you.

Except I'd shower more often!

Nice try but unfortunately you don't seem to have the ability to put an argument together.Are you trailer trash as well? Sorry didn't know that but thanks for the info.OK that's puerile on my part so time for us to shut down on this one.But I think my point on the value of LP and Joe Cummings has been taken by most balanced people.Long may LP thrive and good luck to all young backpackers.You are are a more attractive bunch than the beer soaked middle aged losers(a minority certainly) who haunt this forum
Lame.
How is the Traditional Thai Culture in "Pattaya" these days...???

I'm afraid Backpack is highlighting the main failing of the entire LP culture here by assuming that Pattaya is somehow lacking in Thai culture and somehow 'not Thailand,' when Khao San Road, Had Rin, Lamai which probably have a higher tourist to local ratio. He seems to have been influenced by Joe Cumming's review of Pattaya written on a 3 day visit in 1991 and unchanged in LP since.

The amount of backpackers who slate Pattaya, Phuket, and Hua Hin without ever going there because they don't recieve glowing write ups in LP is amazing. The amount of times I've heard people say "The book says......." as though it is stating solid fact is depressing.

My copy of LP states that the authorities have clamped down on the seedy side of Pattaya and the bars were restricted to a small area in the southern end of town.

It actually says that the number was reducing!

Funny, I saw more bars this time than I did last time!

And more girls!!

I can't believe this post is still going! God. Do you guys have nothing more to do with your time?

Backpackers (a person who travels using a bag with shoulder straps) are generally regarded as the great unwashed. This description, fortunately for all of us, is very much a generalisation.

I work with backpackers, and NONE of my people smell, argue over the price of pad thai in the street, or the price of a chang beer (who'd drink it anyway?).

I was over at Sukhumvit today. Not a backpacker in sight. BUT, there were plenty of stinking farang over there. Smelt like they hadn't washed in a week. (I checked my underarms - it wasn't me).

I can't believe this post is still going!  God.  Do you guys have nothing more to do with your time? 

Backpackers (a person who travels using a bag with shoulder straps) are generally regarded as the great unwashed.  This description, fortunately for all of us, is very much a generalisation. 

I work with backpackers, and NONE of my people smell, argue over the price of pad thai in the street, or the price of a chang beer (who'd drink it anyway?). 

I was over at Sukhumvit today.  Not a backpacker in sight.  BUT, there were plenty of stinking farang over there.  Smelt like they hadn't washed in a week.  (I checked my underarms - it wasn't me).

Define your role then.

Khao San Road, Had Rin, Lamai....

I can assure you that I am in no way a lover of LP, Rough Guides etc. etc. All they do is give the opinion of one man! The beauty of the web is that it can be constantly updated.

Pattaya, I've atually had a few GREAT nights out there. I don't hate the place but potential visitors need to know the facts beforehand, i.e that we westerners have created a monster called "tourism" which is destroying the fabric of an ancient culture!

There you go! How's that for a rant!

Similarly the likes of Khao San Road, Had Rin, Lamai. I'm sure there's enough "long-timers" on this forum. Do you all remember what Samui, Krabi, Hua Hin and even Phuket were like ten years ago...??

In all honesty, I would say a lot of visitors are now not seeing LOS as a place to experience an eastern culture, more of an alternative to Spain or Florida.

Culture vultures are now starting head into Cambodia, Vietnam and newly opened China! Thailand has a kind of split personality at the moment. It needs to decide where it wants to go - Retain it's initial charm which bought most of us here in the first place, or grab as many tourist $$$ as quickly as possible, destroying your ancient history!

Phew, after all that I'm totally shag*ed! I'm sure you all get my point though.

I love this country, but can see it slowly changing, not for the better (In my opinion!)

Keep It Real!

Phuket, Haad Rin, Chaweng, Khao San etc. all offer the tourist many places to spend their hard earned money. The Thai's (and farang bar owners I might add) seem to have no problem in relieving them of their $$, they are happy to pay it, so there doesn't seem to be much of a problem to me.

Would you really want those sorts of people trekking into hilltribe communities in the north of Thailand? Many of them are really good, culturally aware tourists. Many of them aren't.

You can ask yourself what is better: chilling out at a bar in Khao San Rd, or chilling out in a girlie bar in Silom? It is all personal preferance. I don't particularly like Khao San, and I don't frequent girlie bars, but there are plenty of other places to hang out.

As long as people are keeping the economy afloat, they can do it wherever they want.

It wouldn't hurt 90% of visitors to Thailand to learn a little more about her culture, but that ain't gonna happen in the forseeable future. So, you just gotta deal with it.

DJ Pat doesn't seem to like backpackers, but he still frequents Khao San Road and then comes here to complain about them. He has a choice, we all do.

If you don't like it, don't go there.

Khao San Road, Had Rin, Lamai....

I can assure you that I am in no way a lover of LP, Rough Guides etc. etc. All they do is give the opinion of one man! The beauty of the web is that it can be constantly updated.

Pattaya, I've atually had a few GREAT nights out there. I don't hate the place but potential visitors need to know the facts beforehand, i.e that we westerners have created a monster called "tourism" which is destroying the fabric of an ancient culture!

There you go! How's that for a rant!

Similarly the likes of Khao San Road, Had Rin, Lamai. I'm sure there's enough "long-timers" on this forum. Do you all remember what Samui, Krabi, Hua Hin and even Phuket were like ten years ago...??

In all honesty, I would say a lot of visitors are now not seeing LOS as a place to experience an eastern culture, more of an alternative to Spain or Florida.

Culture vultures are now starting head into Cambodia, Vietnam and newly opened China! Thailand has a kind of split personality at the moment. It needs to decide where it wants to go - Retain it's initial charm which bought most of us here in the first place, or grab as many tourist $$$ as quickly as possible, destroying your ancient history!

Phew, after all that I'm totally shag*ed! I'm sure you all get my point though.

I love this country, but can see it slowly changing, not for the better (In my opinion!)

Keep It Real!

You are part of the tourism monster, so am I, we all are/ were. :o

Its unfair to complain about the farangs when alot of the thais could'nt give a monkey's anyway.

i.e that we westerners have created a monster called "tourism" which is destroying the fabric of an ancient culture!
That is a somewhat simplified viewpoint and I see what you are saying yet must disagree. Thai culture has survived far greater pressures than tourism and I have yet to find any eveidence that tourism or globalisation is having a detrimental effect on traditional Thai culture.
Phuket, Haad Rin, Chaweng, Khao San etc. all offer the tourist many places to spend their hard earned money. The Thai's (and farang bar owners I might add) seem to have no problem in relieving them of their $$, they are happy to pay it, so there doesn't seem to be much of a problem to me.

I agree. My point however is how your 'backpackers' tend to slate the Phukets and Pattayas as too 'touristy' yet tend to hang out in their own enclaves such as Had Rin and Chaweng and see no wrong with that because the likes of LP give the latter a positive write up.

It wouldn't hurt 90% of visitors to Thailand to learn a little more about her culture, but that ain't gonna happen in the forseeable future. So, you just gotta deal with it.

Agreed!!

Professorfart, you are a man after my own heart!

We are all tourists. And no matter how long we live here, we will always be 'outsiders' to the Thai community.

I, too, am guilty of calling a place 'too touristy' but I am lucky enough to get to travel to other more culturally rich places as a part of my job. Not many others have that luxury, and I feel priveliged to be a guest in most of these places.

As I said, the abovementioned places serve a purpose, and serve it well. We should be thankful that the majority of these people aren't running around the rest of the country!

donna you come across as rather patronising in the flesh, and I have never met you.

I don't HATE backpackers, I think they are a pain in the arse when they start unfunnily haggling over really f**king stupid pathetically cheap things "just because Lonely Planet says it's in the culture to do so"

I also think they are complete masochists striding down Sukhumvit Road in the blazing heat holding a map upside down with a backpack on their backs AND their fronts. Is that a fun way to see the world in all honesty? Why not budget a bit bigger and stay at a normal hotel, spend a bit of cash and relax and ENJOY IT.

Backpackers I see nursing one beer all night with their heads in a book may as well be at home.