Backpackers

DJ Pat

Backpacker: Pain in the arse?  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't HATE backpackers, I think they are a pain in the arse when they start unfunnily haggling over really f**king stupid pathetically cheap things "just because Lonely Planet says it's in the culture to do so"

And there you have hit the LP problem on the head. Too many people take LP as gospel and seem unable to grasp the meaning of the 'guide' part of 'guidebook'

LP themselves are to blame for this by self styling themselves 'The Bible' of travel.

Only a truly simple minded person would ever swear by it yet they do because LP plug themselves as an essential tool. A 'Travel Survival Kit' they call their guides. What nonsense.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't HATE backpackers, I think they are a pain in the arse when they start unfunnily haggling over really f**king stupid pathetically cheap things "just because Lonely Planet says it's in the culture to do so"

And there you have hit the LP problem on the head. Too many people take LP as gospel and seem unable to grasp the meaning of the 'guide' part of 'guidebook'

LP themselves are to blame for this by self styling themselves 'The Bible' of travel.

Only a truly simple minded person would ever swear by it yet they do because LP plug themselves as an essential tool. A 'Travel Survival Kit' they call their guides. What nonsense.

It's quite revealing to see so much animosity displayed against LP and backpackers, in many cases from people who do not live in Thailand at all.I do take the point however that if there are some who take LP as a religious text, they would be missing out on a great deal.Part of the reason why this discussion is so sterile is that it is centred on a prescriptive definition, viz the cliche of the unwashed, tical counting,spaced out backpacker who can't see beyond his own nose.I have no doubt that some of these exist.However there are many more travellers of all ages who have a genuine curiosity about Thailand, and for them LP is a good starting point.My point was that Joe Cummings is as good a general guide on Thailand as you can find.However LP is not the be all and end all, just a very useful beginning.

The slightly combative tone detected in my previous posts simply relates to the irony of the various deadbeats in places like Pattaya and Tottenham, attempting to show a misplaced sense of superiority.The suggestion that LP did not cover Pattaya properly gave the game away.Reality check:the vast majority of residents do not regard Pattaya (metaphorically anyway) as a part of Thailand and certainly not as a bastion of Thai culture, you dopes.As I said before if the detractors had one thousandth of Cummings' knowledge, they might be entitled to remostrate.But one can see from their previous posts where their interests truly lie.

It's quite revealing to see so much animosity displayed against LP and backpackers, in many cases from people who do not live in Thailand at all.I do take the point however that if there are some who take LP as a religious text, they would be missing out on a great deal.Part of the reason why this discussion is so sterile is that it is centred on a prescriptive definition, viz the cliche of the unwashed, tical counting,spaced out backpacker who can't see beyond his own nose.I have no doubt that some of these exist.However there are many more travellers of all ages who have a genuine curiosity about Thailand, and for them LP is a good starting point.My point was that Joe Cummings is as good a general guide on Thailand as you can find.However LP is not the be all and end all, just a very useful beginning.

The slightly combative tone detected in my previous posts simply relates to the irony of the various deadbeats in places like Pattaya and Tottenham, attempting to show a misplaced sense of superiority.The suggestion that LP did not cover Pattaya properly gave the game away.Reality check:the vast majority of residents do not regard Pattaya (metaphorically anyway) as a part of Thailand and certainly not as a bastion of Thai culture, you dopes.As I said before if the detractors had one thousandth of Cummings' knowledge, they might be entitled to remostrate.But one can see from their previous posts where their interests truly lie.

So does Joe like it when you kiss his arse?

:o:D

Professorfart, you are a man after my own heart! 

We are all tourists.  And no matter how long we live here, we will always be 'outsiders' to the Thai community. 

I, too, am guilty of calling a place 'too touristy' but I am lucky enough to get to travel to other more culturally rich places as a part of my job.  Not many others have that luxury, and I feel priveliged to be a guest in most of these places. 

As I said, the abovementioned places serve a purpose, and serve it well.  We should be thankful that the majority of these people aren't running around the rest of the country!

Well I've been to Bang Na as well honey. :o

I'd say you'll find more 'sexpats' (or whatever you'd like to call them folks that marry up with local gals )in remote villages than culture vultures or dread-heads.

That's 'real' culture in my book. Not some over-photographed Wat or opium riddled border village full of the white trash.

The slightly combative tone detected in my previous posts simply relates to the irony of the various deadbeats in places like Pattaya and Tottenham, attempting to show a misplaced sense of superiority.The suggestion that LP did not cover Pattaya properly gave the game away.Reality check:the vast majority of residents do not regard Pattaya (metaphorically anyway) as a part of Thailand and certainly not as a bastion of Thai culture, you dopes
Boris you seem to have a problem with those who know more than you do. Your mechanism for dealing with this is to use limp swipes at places like Tottenham and Pattaya neither of which I'll wager you know.

Whom exactly does not regard Pattaya as a part of Thailand? Perchance those who seem to see the likes of Samui and Ko Pha Ngan as the cutting edge in Thai culture?

How does my criticism of LP's Pattaya write up 'give the game away'?

Your anti Pattaya stance is becoming apparent to the extent that you are beginning to sound like a troll.

It's quite revealing to see so much animosity displayed against LP and backpackers, in many cases from people who do not live in Thailand at all

Since when has residency been an instant key to expertise in Thailand? I'd better go and tell the likes of David Smyth, Phillip Stott, Ian Brown and Rachel Harrison of this new development from the brain of Boris.

The slightly combative tone detected in my previous posts simply relates to the irony of the various deadbeats in places like Pattaya and Tottenham, attempting to show a misplaced sense of superiority.The suggestion that LP did not cover Pattaya properly gave the game away.Reality check:the vast majority of residents do not regard Pattaya (metaphorically anyway) as a part of Thailand and certainly not as a bastion of Thai culture, you dopes

Boris you seem to have a problem with those who know more than you do. Your mechanism for dealing with this is to use limp swipes at places like Tottenham and Pattaya neither of which I'll wager you know.

Whom exactly does not regard Pattaya as a part of Thailand? Perchance those who seem to see the likes of Samui and Ko Pha Ngan as the cutting edge in Thai culture?

How does my criticism of LP's Pattaya write up 'give the game away'?

Your anti Pattaya stance is becoming apparent to the extent that you are beginning to sound like a troll.

It's quite revealing to see so much animosity displayed against LP and backpackers, in many cases from people who do not live in Thailand at all
Since when has residency been an instant key to expertise in Thailand? I'd better go and tell the likes of David Smyth, Phillip Stott, Ian Brown and Rachel Harrison of this new development from the brain of Boris.

Many people know more than me about these issues. but I think not you.Of course residence doesn't confer knowledge compared to non-residents.I merely made the point much of the animosity towards LP seems to come from off shore.Why are you invoking David Smyth,Phillip Stott et al who are very well respected SOAS academics?Do you seriously think these kind of people have anything in common with someone like you?Do you seriously think that when these academics visit Thailand they descend on Pattaya and undertake the activities you are so keen on (per your previous posts)?Finally if you do not see why your complaint about LP not covering Pattaya to your satisfaction gives the game away, you are even more of an ignorant booby than I had imagined.

Hmmmm. Not a valid point in your entire reply.

Why are you invoking David Smyth,Phillip Stott et al who are very well respected SOAS academics?Do you seriously think these kind of people have anything in common with someone like you?
Who knows? But not you for certain, unless you were at SOAS which I doubt as SOAS graduates don't get tend to get as excited by Joe Cumming's writings as you do.
Do you seriously think that when these academics visit Thailand they descend on Pattaya and undertake the activities you are so keen on (per your previous posts)?

How do you know their holiday patterns? And what activities have I posted about exactly Boris? Your argument (like your punctuation, I hope to God you aren't an English teacher) is beginning to not only founder but is sinking rapidly.

Finally if you do not see why your complaint about LP not covering Pattaya to your satisfaction gives the game away, you are even more of an ignorant booby than I had imagined.

No I don't Boris. Please enlighten me. Apologies in advance for being an ignorant booby.

There are still points from my previous post you haven't addressed either Boris.

Hmmmm. Not a valid point in your entire reply.
Why are you invoking David Smyth,Phillip Stott et al who are very well respected SOAS academics?Do you seriously think these kind of people have anything in common with someone like you?

Who knows? But not you for certain, unless you were at SOAS which I doubt as SOAS graduates don't get tend to get as excited by Joe Cumming's writings as you do.
But unfortunately for your case I do know one of these SOAS academics personally-I met him at High Table at my old Cambridge College and I know of the reputation of the three others.I know you through your postings and believe me there is very little in common between you and them.I don't think Ian Brown has an SOAS connection but I know of his work.You are correct.I am not a graduate of SOAS though I hold the institution in high regard.I knew many SOAS post graduates who continued studies at Cambridge when I was there.By the way where was it you graduated and what were you saying about punctuation?I guess the rules on the latter are fairly flexible down Tottenham way.

I hold Joe Cummings in esteem but perhaps you would point out where I have been "excited" by his writings.Doesn't seem a very major point.

Do you seriously think that when these academics visit Thailand they descend on Pattaya and undertake the activities you are so keen on (per your previous posts)?

How do you know their holiday patterns? And what activities have I posted about exactly Boris? Your argument (like your punctuation, I hope to God you aren't an English teacher) is beginning to not only founder but is sinking rapidly.
I have no idea of the specifics of their holiday activities but my impression would be they would not be attracted by places like Pattaya, or people like you for that matter.
Finally if you do not see why your complaint about LP not covering Pattaya to your satisfaction gives the game away, you are even more of an ignorant booby than I had imagined.

No I don't Boris. Please enlighten me. Apologies in advance for being an ignorant booby.
OK because in brief LP, Rough Guide, and similar publications cater for serious and semi serious travellers not middle aged sex tourists.
There are still points from my previous post you haven't addressed either Boris.
If there are any points you really need answering let me know.By the way as a friendly parting comment do take the time to read through past postings in a discussion like this.It can be very revealing.

But unfortunately for your case I do know one of these SOAS academics personally-I met him at High Table at my old Cambridge College and I know of the reputation of the three others.I know you through your postings and believe me there is very little in common between you and them.I don't think Ian Brown has an SOAS connection but I know of his work.
Firstly Ian Brown is Professor of SE Asian History at SOAS and is Head of the SOAS History Dept. He has been there for over 20 years so it shows how highly you regard the institution. A superb lecturer as well, especially when I studied 'Rebellion and Revolt in rural 20th Century South East Asia' under his a few years ago.

There seems little point in engaging in a 'who knows who' contest here but all I will say is that my 4 years study at SOAS were most enjoyable.

You claim to 'know' me through my postings yet seem utterly unable to provide evidence that I am a Pattaya whoremonger. Wishful thinking on your behalf Boris and evidence of your superiority complex for even in I were a Pattaya whoremonger this is no indication that my knowledge of Thailand would be less than the next mans or even better than yours.

You are correct.I am not a graduate of SOAS though I hold the institution in high regard.I knew many SOAS post graduates who continued studies at Cambridge when I was there.By the way where was it you graduated and what were you saying about punctuation?I guess the rules on the latter are fairly flexible down Tottenham way.

Seeing as you hold SOAS in such high regard no doubt you would be horrified to learn that more than a few of my fellow students there were not against having a good weekend out and about in Pattaya.

Your cheap contiual digs at my spelling, place of abode, and occasional choice of holiday destination in Thailand only show that your own arguments are so lacking in substance that you have had to turn this debate into a personal attack.

I wonder? Did you hone these sharp debating skills whilst you were at the high table in Cambridge?

OK because in brief LP, Rough Guide, and similar publications cater for serious and semi serious travellers not middle aged sex tourists.
Where does it say that? I've just scanned mine form cover to cover yet failed to find a single mention of this? More snobbish wishful thinking Boris.
If there are any points you really need answering let me know.By the way as a friendly parting comment do take the time to read through past postings in a discussion like this.It can be very revealing.

Very well. Seeing as you are out of Cambridge now and don't have a Master by your side to walk you through your exams I'll list the questions I'd like an answer to from you.

1) Please explain why a SOAS academic would have nothing to to with 'the likes of me'? Indeed, who am I? What evidence can you provide that I know nothing of Thailand and in what way is it linked to my visiting Pattaya? Or is yours just a backpacker's knee jerk reaction to the word 'Pattaya'?

2) What activities have I mentioned on any of my previous posts that a SOAS academic would be so loathe to do?

3) How does my criticism of LP's Pattaya write up 'give the game away' and indeed what 'game' exactly?

4) In what way does my current domicile and occasional choice of holiday destination detract from my knowledge of Thailand?

5) Where in the LP does it say that it is a book which caters for 'serious or semi serious' travellers?

I'll leave you with those to ponder Boris if you can haul yourself away from the higher echelons of academe that is.

I used to be a back packer,,before that I was labelled as a "new age traveller"

This was a name given to people (trying) to get around the festival circuit in the UK in the late eighties late nineties.

My name is Aurther Scargill and I thank you

soi6

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Pattaya is a craphole, and if I ruled the world, I would get rid of it.

Not sure if we can't say it isn't reflective of Thailand though, it is simply one aspect of Thai culture (ie the prostitution et al), on display to the rest of the world in a pretty tastless manner.

Feel sorry though for the families who get conned by the package tour companies and go there for their 2 week 'beach' holiday (though I am sure 'dad' might not mind :o

Anyway off to Portugal for a weekend. Have a good debate.

Samran

"donna you come across as rather patronising in the flesh, and I have never met you."

Sorry if I offend you DJ. That is not my aim. I can actually be quite nice sometimes. :D

"I don't HATE backpackers, I think they are a pain in the arse when they start unfunnily haggling over really f**king stupid pathetically cheap things "just because Lonely Planet says it's in the culture to do so""

I never said you HATED backpackers. I said you DISLIKED them. And, I agree with you on that point, DJ. I also dislike them haggling over cheap stuff. I hang my head in shame sometimes when I see it.

"I also think they are complete masochists striding down Sukhumvit Road in the blazing heat holding a map upside down with a backpack on their backs AND their fronts. Is that a fun way to see the world in all honesty? Why not budget a bit bigger and stay at a normal hotel, spend a bit of cash and relax and ENJOY IT. "

They may be on their way to find that 'normal' hotel. Some of these people are students who have saved up all year for this trip. A typical UK student comes here on a round the world ticket that takes them to Bangkok, Sydney, New Zealand, Hawaii and then home. Normally, they get the cheap part of their holiday over in the beginning and save their money up for Australia, where they know everything is going to be more expensive and for NZ where they all want to go bungee jumping. I'm not definding this, just letting you know the reasoning behind it.

I DO agree with you about not liking stinginess, DJ. I have mentioned this before. To tell you the truth, I could think of nothing worse than staying in one of those little dog boxes down Khao San Rd for 150Baht a night. Yuk. And drinking warm beer (or warm anything for that matter). Not my idea of fun. But maybe it is theirs?

"Backpackers I see nursing one beer all night with their heads in a book may as well be at home."

Again, I AGREE with you DJ. But most of them don't do this every day. They may be just nursing a hangover. (If you see the same ones doing it every day, then feel free to slag them off). :o

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Pattaya is a craphole, and if I ruled the world, I would get rid of it.

Not sure if we can't say it isn't reflective of Thailand though, it is simply one aspect of Thai culture (ie the prostitution et al), on display to the rest of the world in a  pretty tastless manner. 

Feel sorry though for the families who get conned by the package tour companies and go there for their 2 week 'beach' holiday (though I am sure 'dad' might not mind :D

Samran

If Thailand needed an enema, Pattaya is where they'd put the hose. :o

Very well. Seeing as you are out of Cambridge now and don't have a Master by your side to walk you through your exams I'll list the questions I'd like an answer to from you.

1) Please explain why a SOAS academic would have nothing to to with 'the likes of me'? Indeed, who am I? What evidence can you provide that I know nothing of Thailand and in what way is it linked to my visiting Pattaya? Or is yours just a backpacker's knee jerk reaction to the word 'Pattaya'?

On a forum like this nothing of a personal nature can be proved.It's in the nature of the beast but one has just to make the best subjective judgements possible based on the content and tone of postings..I strongly feel you are hyping up your SOAS connections but can't prove it.I never said you know nothing of Thailand.Based on my own experience of the country -nearly 20 years residence - foreigners who enjoy visiting/living in Pattaya tend to be of a certain type.

2) What activities have I mentioned on any of my previous posts that a SOAS academic would be so loathe to do?

I am sure that there are academic scumbags around, so not sure this is a sensible question

3) How does my criticism of LP's Pattaya write up 'give the game away' and indeed what 'game' exactly?

It gives the game away that you find much of interest,entertainment,cultural value in a place like Pattaya, a place that genuine travellers and normal residents let alone professed experts like yourself tend to avoid altogether, apart of course for a jaunt every couple of years or so when it is fun to see the freaks.

4) In what way does my current domicile and occasional choice of holiday destination detract from my knowledge of Thailand?

My references to Tottenham are just a tease so lighten up.Still it's quite a funny place to live by choice.For your obsession with Pattaya see (4) above.

5) Where in the LP does it say that it is a book which caters for 'serious or semi serious' travellers?

It doesn't.I said it you dope.

I'll leave you with those to ponder Boris if you can haul yourself away from the higher echelons of academe that is.

As I suggested before best leave off the invective.You don't, to be rather unkind ,have the arsenal.My original point was just to clarify that LP -often criticised unfairly- has some value to visitors to Thailand.Residents can also learn something from it.It's not a bible and there are good alternatives but all of which should be supplemented by personal experience.Yes backpackers can be obnoxious sometimes but we should be generous spirited if we can.

Not sure if we can't say it isn't reflective of Thailand though, it is simply one aspect of Thai culture (ie the prostitution et al), on display to the rest of the world in a  pretty tastless manner.  

Feel sorry though for the families who get conned by the package tour companies and go there for their 2 week 'beach' holiday (though I am sure 'dad' might not mind :D

Samran

Anyway off to Portugal for a weekend. Have a good debate

That says it all, A stupid comment by another so called expert who sits in his sweet smelling home passing comments on a city that he does'nt even live in. :o

As for Pattaya in general, if you don't like it, don't come here!

Boris and the rest of the "normal people" can come here every few years to look at "the freaks" up to them. (ps if you do come to my bar coz i'll be the freak laughing while you give me your money) :D

Samran

That says it all, A stupid comment by another so called expert who sits in his sweet smelling home passing comments on a city that he does'nt even live in. :o

Boris and the rest of the "normal people" can come here every few years to look at "the freaks" up to them. (ps if you do come to my bar coz i'll be the freak laughing while you give me your money) :D

He is half Thai Dave. That gives him an edge over you as a spokesperson on Thailand.

Samran

He is half Thai Dave. That gives him an edge over you as a spokesperson on Thailand.

Maybe so but Dave lives in Pattaya, that gives him an edge over Samran as a spokesperson on Pattaya...

On a forum like this nothing of a personal nature can be proved.It's in the nature of the beast but one has just to make the best subjective judgements possible based on the content and tone of postings..I strongly feel you are hyping up your SOAS connections but can't prove it.I never said you know nothing of Thailand.Based on my own experience of the country -nearly 20 years residence - foreigners who enjoy visiting/living in Pattaya tend to be of a certain type
I disagree. I have met only one person from this forum in the flesh (Chanchao) yet have found that other forums often lead to social meetings down the line. If you state your credentials on a forum like this you are often answerable to them.
It gives the game away that you find much of interest,entertainment,cultural value in a place like Pattaya, a place that genuine travellers and normal residents let alone professed experts like yourself tend to avoid altogether, apart of course for a jaunt every couple of years or so when it is fun to see the freaks.

I still say you are being over judgemental on Pattaya. My girlfriend and I both enjoy Pattaya a lot. I take it for what it is- a holiday resort - and that is that.

If anyone avoids Pattaya on the basis that it may in some way undermine their status as a 'genuine traveller, normal resident or indeed a self proclaimed expert like myself (although surely a SOAS degree is someone else's confirmation of my knowledge?)' then they are suffering from some kind of self importance issues and should really get over themselves. Its just snobbery plain and simple, and Lonely Planet induced snobbery in many cases. Sad and rather pathetic.

My references to Tottenham are just a tease so lighten up.Still it's quite a funny place to live by choice.For your obsession with Pattaya see (4) above.

Have you ever been to Tottenham or are you just making wild stabs again? You have already admitted that you only visit Pattaya every now and again so it seems as though you tend to rely on second hand opinions to form your own. Maybe you read Joe Cummings write up on Tottenham and have judged your impressions on that. FYI, Tottenham is well placed on the Victoria line not to mention is a vibrant multi cutural area. Makes getting into town nice and easy.

Right. I'm off to Blackpool for a long weekend! Catch you on Wednesday!

On a forum like this nothing of a personal nature can be proved.It's in the nature of the beast but one has just to make the best subjective judgements possible based on the content and tone of postings..I strongly feel you are hyping up your SOAS connections but can't prove it.I never said you know nothing of Thailand.Based on my own experience of the country -nearly 20 years residence - foreigners who enjoy visiting/living in Pattaya tend to be of a certain type

I disagree. I have met only one person from this forum in the flesh (Chanchao) yet have found that other forums often lead to social meetings down the line. If you state your credentials on a forum like this you are often answerable to them.

I still say you are being over judgemental on Pattaya. My girlfriend and I both enjoy Pattaya a lot. I take it for what it is- a holiday resort - and that is that.

If anyone avoids Pattaya on the basis that it may in some way undermine their status as a 'genuine traveller, normal resident or indeed a self proclaimed expert like myself (although surely a SOAS degree is someone else's confirmation of my knowledge?)' then they are suffering from some kind of self importance issues and should really get over themselves. Its just snobbery plain and simple, and Lonely Planet induced snobbery in many cases. Sad and rather pathetic.

Have you ever been to Tottenham or are you just making wild stabs again? You have already admitted that you only visit Pattaya every now and again so it seems as though you tend to rely on second hand opinions to form your own. Maybe you read Joe Cummings write up on Tottenham and have judged your impressions on that. FYI, Tottenham is well placed on the Victoria line not to mention is a vibrant multi cutural area. Makes getting into town nice and easy.

Right. I'm off to Blackpool for a long weekend! Catch you on Wednesday!

Fine post, so where does the Nakon Sawan snub come from??

Lonely Planet induced snobbery

Is exactly why they don't say too much about Pattaya

I agree.In addition I would cheerfully admit snobbery on this basis it implies discrimination against the second rate and sordid.As to the class discrimination aspect of snobbery this is not a major factor in my case (given my working class origins of which I am proud), although one cannot help noticing in Pattaya the large numbers of ugly working class drunken brutes -both sexes-especially from the UK.