N47HAN

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's a good idea.

Thais never really understood the concept of the round-about. ie. if you're on the round-about you have right of way.

How many times have you seen the traffic on the round-about stop because some idiot pulls out, then everyone behind follows?

Edited by Sir Burr

I think it's a good idea.

Thais never really understood trhe concept of the round-about. ie. if you're on the round-about you have right of way.

How many times have you seen the traffic on the round-about stop because some idiot pulls out, then everyone behind follows?

mmmmmmm.......

Edited by N47HAN

I'll defer to your judgment on this one, Sir Burr. My initial thoughts were that during peak, the BiBs seem to handle the chaos fairly well. However, the great advantage of removal of the roundabout will be that the traffic can flow more smoothly. Makes sense when you think it through, and presumably 'they' have conducted traffic flow studies.

I see circles working fine in many parts of Thailand: Heroine monument, Victory monument circle in Bangkok to name two that work. There's a big one in Chaiyaphum also.

They all have at least 2 lanes around the circle. Maybe that is key and I always thought that's what the eventual plan around Chalong circle would be. If you notice, none of the shacks/building immedietly surrounding the circle are very permanent. (exception being Dr. Thi-Thi's)

So, i'm not all that happy with the red light idea. I think it will slow traffic down even more.

Possibly it will be safer although slower. I see many accidents there and most of them because of the either the face thing with the big trucks, and the motorbikes just jockeying for any opening they can get. Anyway, that's my 2 cents

I see circles working fine in many parts of Thailand: Heroine monument, Victory monument circle in Bangkok to name two that work. There's a big one in Chaiyaphum also.

They all have at least 2 lanes around the circle. Maybe that is key and I always thought that's what the eventual plan around Chalong circle would be. If you notice, none of the shacks/building immedietly surrounding the circle are very permanent. (exception being Dr. Thi-Thi's)

So, i'm not all that happy with the red light idea. I think it will slow traffic down even more.

Possibly it will be safer although slower. I see many accidents there and most of them because of the either the face thing with the big trucks, and the motorbikes just jockeying for any opening they can get. Anyway, that's my 2 cents

"So, i'm not all that happy with the red light idea"

nor I, it always slows for the lookers!

The fountain and roundabout give character :o to Chalong.

Imagine the wait times, 5 light phases...........<deleted>

Camberwell junction, Thai style............ chaos will reign/rain......... LOL

Ya reckon the scooter guys, meself inc, are gunna wait...... yeah, rite.

Patience is golden, no gold, only tin on Phuket.

Replace fountain with this?

traffic_lights.jpg

Edited by seonai
to remove shouting font etc

"So, i'm not all that happy with the red light idea"

nor I, it always slows for the lookers!

Circles work well, Heroine Monument, really!!!! they work well if people use the rules, What rules in Thailand, the police close Heroine's at peak traffic and send you to U turn, Crazy ! take care allways :o

Pete according to Sir Burr, they are going to make traffic from the road from the pier turn left towards Rawai and U-turn further down. Therefore, it will be a sort of cross intersection but will need lots of lovely little green and red arrows. I reckon it will work - particularly during the peak, but we'll see.

As to your traffic light tree - love it. It would be just the ticket for that crazy intersection near the waterfront in Ho Chi Minh (Saigon).

Have never seen the lights working at the monument roundabout? Maybe the new ones in Chalong will fail within a few weeks and that will be the end to that expensive idea.

Taz.

No lights at the Monument only traffic, police and cones :o

Pete according to Sir Burr, they are going to make traffic from the road from the pier turn left towards Rawai and U-turn further down. Therefore, it will be a sort of cross intersection but will need lots of lovely little green and red arrows. I reckon it will work - particularly during the peak, but we'll see.

As to your traffic light tree - love it. It would be just the ticket for that crazy intersection near the waterfront in Ho Chi Minh (Saigon).

Ping,

Actually, in Auckland, the council has just finished turning a 5 way intersection into three "T" intersections, or sumfin.

Not seen it yet.

I'll take a pic of the layout when I go past sumtime and post it.

At Victory Monument in Bangers, I see scooters running along footpaths to get thru quickly, amazing.

Imagine that in OZ or NZ, noway.

Trying to recall the HCM one you speak of, only spent 5 nites there, gunna go back again.

HCM has the biggest concentration of scooters I have ever seen.

Makes LOS seem scooterless in comparison.

To me, the circle sorts itself out quite well, no probs.

Will be waste of money.

As for turning left towards Rawai, and then making a "U" turn, crazy.

As for turning left towards Rawai, and then making a "U" turn, crazy.

When you come in peak hour now you have to turn left (if you come from Kata) and then make a U-turn to go to Rawai, is that better??

Let it be.

Keep the status quo.

Have never seen the lights working at the monument roundabout? Maybe the new ones in Chalong will fail within a few weeks and that will be the end to that expensive idea.

Taz.

No lights at the Monument only traffic, police and cones :o

Well the last time I looked there was lights at the monument roundabout. :D They have been there for sometime now.

Taz.

Surely there having a laugh ?

Possible to see where the official info that started this string came from?

Sounds like the same group that was making rumours of a Phuket monorail..........

Lights would make the Chalong circle even more of a cluster <deleted>**, so I cannot believe it would even be considered. The backup on Chaofa would be ridiculous.

Ping-"assuming there would be traffic flow studies"? That was a joke, yes? Good one at that. Yeah a 10,000,000thb study....

Oh sorry huggybear. I must be an idiot.

C'mon now Ping, I meant nothing the sort.

I am just reluctant to believe in actual studies here, in fact I know a lot of the "studies" are just B.S. for local officials to pocket some government coin.

Best regards,

HB

Forget about RUSH HOUR, wot about the other 23 hours?

Possibly, turn lights off during off peak, or put in an "On Demand" system.

Scooters will 'scoot' thru, no doubt.

Sitting frustrated whilst no traffic flowing as lights go thru stupid phases.

Wasting gas, more pollution from stationary vehicles.

Get real people.

Surely there having a laugh ?

Possible to see where the official info that started this string came from?

My bad, saw the article on the front page of the last Phuket Gazette (byline"The Island's source of misinformation and overpriced real estate")at lunch today.