They Are Burning Again

jaideeguy

Look in the direction of Doi Saket and a little to the right and you will see the hills burning from the bottom to the top. I saw the smoke earlier this pm and looked this evening and now it's major fires obviously burning out of control.

And the 'haze' is returning, and it is a long time until we get the rains....

The mooban speakers blare warnings of fines for burning rubbish and having to get permission before starting rubbish fires, but who is telling the mountain folks to STOP the slash and burn???

When will these people learn?????

Every year the undergrowth in the forest is burned. In that way it doesn't grow to a point where there would be so much combustible fuel, that fires would rage out of control in the hot season. There's no way to put out an out of control fire, which risks loss of life and property, so instead they burn off the annual growth to keep it from becoming too much. It usually looks like a line of fire up he side of the mountain. Given that there's not that nmuch fuel, it burns low to the ground and doesn't move that fast.

edit: Just reread your post. I'm not saying it's OK, or good forestry practice. I'm just saying that is why it is done. In fact I'm pretty sure it's bad forest management, but I believe, they believe it's the lesser of two evils.

Edited by lannarebirth

It's probably better than what you think. Certain ecosystems rely on annual burn offs. Usually natural, but I know there are certain plants and trees that wont procreate, at least in Australia, unless their seeds are subject to fire.

I would agree though that originally it wasn't part of contributing to the smoke of the fires created by a million grannies sweeping up leaves and setting alight to them on a daily basis.

Every year the undergrowth in the forest is burned. In that way it doesn't grow to a point where there would be so much combustible fuel, that fires would rage out of control in the hot season. There's no way to put out an out of control fire, which risks loss of life and property, so instead they burn off the annual growth to keep it from becoming too much. It usually looks like a line of fire up he side of the mountain. Given that there's not that nmuch fuel, it burns low to the ground and doesn't move that fast.

edit: Just reread your post. I'm not saying it's OK, or good forestry practice. I'm just saying that is why it is done. In fact I'm pretty sure it's bad forest management, but I believe, they believe it's the lesser of two evils.

Thank you for the explanation. I'd be interested to know what alternatives there are, if any, and if you think they could be introduced instead?

Firefighters (yes firefighters!) in the US go out in many rural areas and do exactly what LRB mentioned (and for the same purpose he mentioned, as well).

There is a debate that has been raging for years as to whether these (limited) "controlled burns", as they are called, are good for the forest ecosystem.

Some say that a total burn (as in a major forest fire) is the only way that the forest rejuvenates; certain plant species NEED these major fires every half century or so.

A lot of people are not aware that fires are a necessary part of a forest's ecosystem. Of course for humans they are very detrimental, it goes without saying...

Thank you for the explanation. I'd be interested to know what alternatives there are, if any, and if you think they could be introduced instead?

I suppose the alternative to removing the source of combustible material, would be to either have greater prevention of fires or greater protection from fires.

Prevention measures would include, no more khoom fay and any other fireworks, no personal fires, no agricultural fires, spark arrestors in all factories and vehicles, and the enforcement mechanism to back up those strong, unpopular measures.

Protective measures include zoning laws that prohibit dense housing near forests, well trained and equipped firefighting services at both local and national levels, insurance for loss of dwellings. Laws that require homes to have noncombustible roffs, etc.

Given what the above would require, I expect the controlled burns will be with us for a long time to come. Each year there is less, as land reform schemes move agriculture production into once forested areas.

<snip>

Edited by Crow Boy
removal of reference to HM

From what I understand, setting fires anywhere around Chiang Mai is illegal and can be reported to the fire officials at 053-409-345. (English or Thai) Perhaps there are permits for "controlled burns", but the government I believe is making a concerted effort to reduce the high pollution levels we had last year. The hill practice of setting fires is particularly henous, as it puts so much particulate in the air. The leaves, if left alone, would decompose just fine once the rainy season comes.

From what I understand, setting fires anywhere around Chiang Mai is illegal and can be reported to the fire officials at 053-409-345. (English or Thai) Perhaps there are permits for "controlled burns", but the government I believe is making a concerted effort to reduce the high pollution levels we had last year. The hill practice of setting fires is particularly henous, as it puts so much particulate in the air. The leaves, if left alone, would decompose just fine once the rainy season comes.

It is the government that conducts the controlled burns. We do not know if that is what this is however.

I live by the same set of hills as Doi Saket but to the south in Mae On. We have had fires every day for a month. Today they came within a few feet of our house. The consensus among village folk and the local authorities are that these fires are deliberately started by "unknown" people. Generally villagers detest the practice. Most agree there is nothing to hunt and it is probably down to encourage mushroom growth. Ecologically it's a disaster. These forests should be evergreen, instead they're deciduous (mainly teak) and stunted with little or no bio-diversity. This is the reaction to generations of fire burning. I am shocked that anyone would think this is controlled. The litter would soon decompose during the wet season. The practice is criminal and obscene. It also a shoker for the economy, environment and climate change.

We are north of the city and I noticed that some forest fires up the side of the mountain were put out pretty quickly a week ago. In addition, the pooyai broadcast over village PA system that burning by farmers would lead to jail time and that ag waste should be composted instead of burned. More village waste seems to be getting packed in bags for pickup by dumptruck this year. Weather has been clearing out the smoke pretty well so far anyway. But we'll see if there's any material change next month.

They just started this week down hwere we live on the edge of the Mae Wong national park though so far there are less numbers of the fires and they seem to be burning less but it is early days yet.

It seems odd as all along the roads are the signs saying don't set fire to the forest but no-one burns the boards down.

From Chiangmai Mail Vol.VII No. 8 19 February 2008

New 24 hour emergency freecall number issued as burning continues

City authorities aware of need for public participation

Saksit Meesubkwang and Staff Reporter

As a further move in the attempts being made by the Chiang Mai Provincial Office of Natural Resources and the Environment, a new emergency call centre number has been announced. It is hoped that the new free call number – 1362 – will facilitate the reporting of burning of any kind within the city and its environs. City authorities are now making the air pollution problem an urgent agenda, and appreciate the need for public participation in its control.

Chiang Mai City’s specific problem is its geographical location on a flat plain surrounded by mountains. An inversion layer forms, preventing smoke, dust from dry earth, and fumes from escaping into the upper atmosphere, resulting in smog-like conditions and extremely poor air quality. Pollution levels are higher than, for example, USA-set safe levels, seriously affecting residents of the city who already suffer from respiratory illnesses and causing their numbers to increase. International publicity of this annually occurring problem also causes visitor numbers to drop, severely affecting the local economy. In 2007, the number of tourists visiting the city fell by 25%, and nearly 10,000 rai of forest were destroyed by fire.

The traditional “slash and burn” method of clearing and fertilising land, still employed by the majority in spite of new regulations and increased penalties, together with the burning of rubbish, including plastics and other materials which give off toxic fumes, combine, particularly during the hot season, to form a cocktail of polluted air which hangs above the city itself, unable to be dispersed. Should major forest fires or other conflagrations occur in the countries bordering Thailand, as happened in 2007 on the Burmese border, pollution levels soar still higher. So far, in 2008, there have been no such occurrences; as a result, city pollution levels are lower then in 2007. However, local burning still seems to be continuing, largely unreported and unchecked.

Plans for future solutions to the problem, to be inaugurated between 2008 and 2011, include preparations for local administration authorities to be able to buy plant debris from growers, farmers and villagers. This will be able to be processed into fertiliser and distributed back to its suppliers for use on their fields, thus obviating the need for burning. To aid in the control of forest fires, the National Parks Department has been able to lease channel time on a USA satellite which overflies the Northern area of Thailand, in order to swiftly identify and deal with outbreaks of fire. In the case of areas of forest already devastated by fires, replacement trees will be planted and supervised by the Forest Department to ensure their growth. 24 hour emergency call centres will be set up in each province and its districts, to enable residents to report fires as they occur.

There's a burn "hotline" (no pun intended) press 1362

We are north of the city and I noticed that some forest fires up the side of the mountain were put out pretty quickly a week ago. In addition, the pooyai broadcast over village PA system that burning by farmers would lead to jail time and that ag waste should be composted instead of burned. More village waste seems to be getting packed in bags for pickup by dumptruck this year. Weather has been clearing out the smoke pretty well so far anyway. But we'll see if there's any material change next month.

I think next month will tell the tale. Last March I flew from Chiang Rai to Bangkok and the ground disappeared at 500 feet and wasn't sighted again until well over half way to BKK.

The area all around Lampang is very Smokey, really bad tonight. The whole house is filled with pungent stinky smoke. What a fine place I picked, to build a retirement home. It takes until afternoon for the Smokey haze to burn off and at dusk the smoke comes rolling in from the hills.

You still see columns of smoke all over the area and everyone burns everything , anytime the want.

The area all around Lampang is very Smokey, really bad tonight. The whole house is filled with pungent stinky smoke. What a fine place I picked, to build a retirement home. It takes until afternoon for the Smokey haze to burn off and at dusk the smoke comes rolling in from the hills.

You still see columns of smoke all over the area and everyone burns everything , anytime the want.

We're east of City and I see the controlled burns. Last year in San Diego many homes were destroy as envioronuts stopped contolled burning over the years, as it might disrupt a supposed endangered species that would and has survived it naturally for thousands of years. Unfortunately theres no way to discuss it with these people as they've only one point of view, democrat, err theirs.

I agree with controlled burning (controlled being the key word), we do it in the teak plantations, but it would take many years to train and educate people to do so as it's been done for hundreds of years. An unfortunate irony. Not that all and sundry or very concerned folk should throw up their hands in apathy.... Dial 1362