Maxnet's Dns Server

BlackArtemis

Hey I want to setup a static IP and since they hire people to look pretty rather than know what the heck I am talking about the continually give me my own IP so I can access my router....

So could anyone give me some help :o

I am confused.. You want a static IP address or you want a static DNS server(s) to point at?

If its DNS

open DNS works well for me. www.opendns.com

208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

192.xx.xx.xx

or

10.xx.xx.xx

might work within the TOT or TTT network but its called a "legal illegal" address which means it will not route across networks...

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

The above post is correct about the DNS, any 192.x or 10.x ip ranges are private ip's, and can not be used on the internet.

If you want to get a static ip, you have 2 choices (depending on why u need the static ip).

1. Ask your isp for a static ip (my ISP, TOT wants to charge me something like 500B per month extra for this, which is absolutely ridiculouse i think) (not recommended).

2. Use a dynamic dns service (e.g. www.noip.com ) which in most cases is free (recommended)

If all you need the static ip for is to be able to log into ur router, then just register for a free dynamic dns service for free, and connect to ur router via that. Go to www.noip.com or do a google search for dynamic dns and get a free account, they have instructions on how to set it up, etc.

Also to note, that a dynamic dns can be used in almost every instance instead of actually gettin a real static ip except in fairly rare IpSec VPN setups.