Buying Ford Ranger

kkk123

Hi

Would anyone give opinions about Ford Ranger?

I plan to buy 4X2 double cab hi-rider automatic.

There's no discount since I only made 15% of deposit.

But dealer told me following free service.

Rear bumper, Side steps, Bed liner, Window tint, 1st class insurance, Free transfer.

Should I ask more free service?

And what's opinions about this car?

Thank you

I avoid American vehicles as Ford's are basically pieces of shit. In USA they basically give them away with 0 financing to get people

to buy them.

BUT the Ranger available in Thailand is actually a Mazda, totally different to the US version and is built locally.

I have one, XLT 4x4 4 door. No issues, goes quite well (electronically limited to 159kph feels quite stable at that speed), comfortable but somewhat basic inside, goes round corners as well as you'd expect a pickup to, has the best of the 3L TDi Common Rail engines available at the moment.

Mine has the manual box, so I don't know how good the new 5-speed auto is.

Freebies? We got:-

Window tint (but paid extra for 3M film)

Bug deflector

Wind deflectors on the side windows

Bed liner

1 year 1st class

Underseal (although I think they 'forgot' to do it)

My only real gripe is that the ABS seems a little 'enthusiastic', cutting in before I feel that it's really starting to lose traction.

Edited by Crossy

Rear bumper, Side steps,

OK you are getting a 4x2 so not off roading, no problem having the side steps, but only of use if you have the car jacked up. I would have hoped the rear bumper was included in the price?

Bed liner,

You can pick these up from the same people that sell the rear load space covers/ carry boys, cheap.

Window tint,

Depending on color you will be paying about 250 Baht a square metre.

1st class insurance,

Elsewhere would cost you about 15k, but beware dealer insurance has exclusions.

We bought ours from a broker and feel better for it.

Free transfer.

This costs about 5k.

Hi

Rear bumper, Side steps, Bed liner, Window tint, 1st class insurance, Free transfer.

Thank you

The price is a ripp off - in Phuket I´ve got a quotation for the OpenCab 4x4 XLT incl. all premium you would get & THB 40,000,- discount = THB 708,000.- (cash). Deposit is THB 10,000.-.

The Ranger with double cab has sidebags and a high security standard but the loss in value is very high.

I want to buy the Nissan Navara.

Bagsida

Edited by Bagsida

I avoid American vehicles as Ford's are basically pieces of shit. In USA they basically give them away with 0 financing to get people

to buy them.

Toyota or Nissan are better trucks IMO.

Complete and utter rubbish, Fords have the highest finance lay-down, hence all the vigos and fortunas on the road, now we're talking cheap crap.

to buy them.

Sorry, you're going to have to take your anti American bullshit elsewhere. The Ford models available here are not even sold in the USA. Now you know.

to buy them.

Sorry, you're going to have to take your anti American bullshit elsewhere. The Ford models available here are not even sold in the USA. Now you know.

I am an American and Ford's are pieces of shit.

My Ford Escape gave me loads of problems.

My Ford Ranger has been worked like a bitch, and still gives me no problems at all for negligable running costs. I wouldnt every buy another truck. Maybe its because its really a Mazda?

Either way, ill be chopping it in for a nearly new one in a few months.

Might have guessed, 'go elsewhere' is a great bit of advice for you

If you are from the States then you would realize they have to basically give Ford's away these days to sell them, can't see why they would be any different in Thailand :o

They ARE different in Thailand. As the other guys have said, the only thing FORD about Ford trucks here is "F.O.R.D"--the name. The Japanese have not only executed the blue prints, they have their own blueprint, a MAZDA blue print. The same with Chevy Colorado here--its really Isuzu.

If you're not gonna use it as a working truck so much, auto is cool but otherwise get a manual because response time is quick at the palm of your hands when you shift gears. Auto gears don't know what you're carrying or that you're trying to pass somebody...YOU know, so its better control with a manual.

My friend has a Ranger. It kicks ass--just second gear feels like a rocket. Even with a leafspring suspension in the back, its still soft.

yeah? :D

Oh, my opinion about auto transmission trucks:

For a working truck that would suck as I just mentioned.

Putting auto in a truck just takes its soul away...like popping the hood of an EVO and discovering something no bigger than a VCR machine...hehe :D

Getting a bit tangential maybe, but I just remembered something. I was jogging around my neighborhood and I saw a muscle car, the 1970 Buick GSX. I was admiring it and as I scanned the inside I saw that the transmission had been converted to auto. I got deppressed and scrapped my plan to stick around and talk to the owner when he comes back. Thats because the driver is probably a poser. :o

I drive a 2003 Ranger 4x4 that I bought new. Other than the normal maintenance I've never had to do a thing to it besides change the battery. I'll probably replace it with another Ranger when this one wears out in about twenty years.

My Ford Ranger double cab 4X4 is now just over 6 years old with 165,000 + km on the clock, regularly serviced.

I has been used as a car, bus and most other things including ahuling loads of building stuuf for the houses and the shop. I had a front suspension problem abot 3 years ago which was fixed under warranty, a new battery every couple of years, a leaky radiator about 6 months ago that I replaced and found later I could have got fixed locally and I replaced all the tyres at 120,000 km but they still had a few '000 km left on them.

It is reliable, still in good condition and all the minor dents and scrapes (mine and not my wifes) are fixed every couple of years by the insurance.

Would I buy another one?

Tomorrow if I had the money and I would go for the Wildtrack.

To me the Toyota looks like a barge on wheels, I don't like the Isuzu and the Triton looks like a bathtub. The Mazda is similar to the Ford so why would I want to change to something different.

The thing I dislike the most about the Ford is the lack of cubby holes in the cabin even in the new models.

On the other hand if I really had big money then I would buy the Ford 250 that I saw in Papua New Guinea. It was RHD so OK for Thailand and I think a 4 or 5 litre turbo diesel and it goes like greased lightning.

However if it was availabe on the grey or any market here it would be about 7,000,000 baht which would keep me in Ford Rangers for the rest of my life. :D:o:D

I posted this sometime back but I'll post it again. I was talking to a German guy at the Ford dealer while I was getting the car serviced. He had just traded in his two wheel drive Ford Ranger for an Everest. He told me the Ranger was the best vehicle he had ever owned but he needed four wheel drive and wanted more room inside. He was telling me that if any of my friends needed a pickup truck, that his old ranger was a GREAT truck. His wife had wanted a Toyota and he started on a rant about how stupid people are that think Toyotas are great. Since I happen to agree with him, I couldn't argue. He did say that his old Ford used too much diesel but the new Everest would do better even being bigger.

Has anyone experienced noisy engines? The reason I ask is the current batch of 2007 model 4x2 ranger pickups we have as work trucks are all developing very loud rattles in their engines around the 25 - 30,000 KM mark.

Apart from that the only other problems have been water in the fuel filter and doors being pulled out of peoples hands by the wind and damaging the doors and fenders.

The previous Thai made rangers were great and swapped for the new ones when they reached 100,000 KMs. They’re all leased and regularly serviced.

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Do yourself a favour, never reccomment a FORD to your friends or relatives.

I bought a new Ford Escape 3.0l a few years ago and really regreted the purchased.

The exterior does'nt bother me but the interior is a big piece of shit. So cheap are the plastics you would not want to touch them.

It has got the worst interior of any car I've ever owned over 25 years. Handbrake, gearlever,and

ignition keyhole are all placed where you'll never get used to and the biggest shit is the handling

you'll never enjoy the drive or the ride, very poor handling plus all the noises from road and wind.

You just could'nt imagine any manufacturer in this decade could have produce such a low quality car to sell for 1.4 million bahts.

or US 40,000. Never go near a FORD dealer if you are convince off by mistake the lesson is expensive.

My brother-in-law has a 2003 Ford Ranger 4WD. The truck runs well, feels solid and had only one defect (cracked synchro ring in the gearbox) which was fixed under warranty. However, the ride isn't good...seems a bit too stiff/bouncy. I've never been in a 2WD version with regular size tires, so perhaps those give a better ride. The indirect injection also makes the engine run a bit quieter than the direct injection trucks. This Ranger has well over 100,000 km on the clock and doesn't seem to rattle any more than it did when it was brand new.

Has anyone experienced noisy engines? The reason I ask is the current batch of 2007 model 4x2 ranger pickups we have as work trucks are all developing very loud rattles in their engines around the 25 - 30,000 KM mark.

Apart from that the only other problems have been water in the fuel filter and doors being pulled out of peoples hands by the wind and damaging the doors and fenders.

The previous Thai made rangers were great and swapped for the new ones when they reached 100,000 KMs. They're all leased and regularly serviced.

I think the rattling from engines or other lose panels are quite distinctive. For the engine's sake, rattling will come to any engine at some point. Tolerances in the cylinders, gear/lay shaft etc. will widen over mileage. One other reason is that the engine mounts are giving up so its a matter of replacing them.

Hi

1 year Ranger 4 door 4x4, 5 sp auto: 0 problems to date, joy to drive, plenty of torque, auto trans is very smooth as long as you let it do its thing and don't get agressive

Would recommend the hi-rider for ground clearance and elevated driver position

I my experience it is rare to get a discount. Use the add-on options for bargaining

Rear bumper

included by dealer

Side steps

Purchased aftermarket

Bed liner

included by dealer

Window tint

included by dealer

1st class insurance

1 year included by dealer, shop around when it comes due as you are sure to find better rates

Free transfer

not included

I wanted a stereo upgrade and received a 8000 baht rebate towards the purchase

I received 1000 baht petrol voucher

Push them to see what else they will include to make the sale, don't be afraid to walk away and play hard-to-get, if they don't play along you can always accept the previous offer. Make sure to get the offer and all add-on's in writing at the time of discussions or all deals are off and you will have to start over.

Very happy and would definitely do it again.

Thank you