Department Store Early Closing

frenchFARANGbkk

Energy saving = electricity saving.

Here in Thailand Sun Rise and Sunset are more or less exactly the same year around + - 30 minutes.

So why not open 0900 morning or even 0800 and close the doors 1800 or latest 2000?

I can’t understand the reasoning behind open late and close late when the goal is to save electricity!

:o

Energy saving = electricity saving.

Here in Thailand Sun Rise and Sunset are more or less exactly the same year around + - 30 minutes.

So why not open 0900 morning or even 0800 and close the doors 1800 or latest 2000?

I can’t understand the reasoning behind open late and close late when the goal is to save electricity!

:o

Can I assume you are using the Europe model (remember Germany where you could not buy anything at night or on weekends)? :D

Believe the goal is to save fuel costs so it is not just electric that we are talking about.

That closing at 1800 would prevent anyone who works from doing any shopping. Even now people are having a problem getting to store before it closes.

I can see aircon costs to be less with this plan. Traffic should also be improved. Gas usage should be less.

From my experience at Lotus they never get it together before 10:00 anyhow so not much real change in usable shopping hours.

But I do prefer to have longer hours.

Can I assume you are using the Europe model (remember Germany where you could not buy anything at night or on weekends)? :o

Sure remember that. Worked Mondays-Fridays 8:00 am til 7:00 pm.

Saturdays til about 2:00 pm. No chance to buy anything, unless asked your boss for an hour or so off, once a week.

So Thailand was great. Could do your shopping relaxed, and let's face it, bought more than you needed.

Btw lopburi3: Picked this up in today's Sunday newspapers in Germany

The laws on closing times finally to be changed! In most federal states soon the shops will be free to open Mondays to Saturdays arouind the clock!

Actually 10 of the 16 federal states seem to agree, means in at least 10 states shopping will be made easier.

Can I assume you are using the Europe model (remember Germany where you could not buy anything at night or on weekends)?

Yes it was a European model. It was, but now it looks like that time is gone.

I can see your point in relation to this competitive consumer world we now live.

Personally I don’t believe this do any good for the human mankind.

Life is more than competition and consuming.

Look at Phuket if someone dear to go near" Had Lotus, Had Big C or Had Central" on a Saturday/Sunday. :o It’s more people on the shopping centres than on what supposed to be Phukets attraction, the beaches and the nature.

lopburi3

That closing at 1800 would prevent anyone who works from doing any shopping. Even now people are having a problem getting to store before it closes.

:o Unfortunately this is not any problem for my Thai wife, and she is a full time employe with a 50 hours working week.

:D

Don’t know where you shop Axel, and it’s not my business, but try Lotus in Phuket a Friday after 1800Pm.

No secret here although Phuket would be a bit too far away. I am in Bangkok

Usually, good time is on a Sunday morning. or weekdays 10-11:00 pm.

Carrefour, Tesco-Lotus, Makro, Villa Market.

• 3 months later...
Waddee Khap,

So department stores all close at 9:30 - 10 pm since the 9th of september?

And until when?

Even TESCO LOTUS Rama 4 isn't any more opened 24 hours?

And Panthip also open at 11 am now?

All this sounds crazy!

Waddee...

This seems not to have been advertised but supermarkets have started to close at 11 or 12 pm again? (BIG C and LOTUS at least)

Why so, no need to save energy anymore? Or somebody ;-) understood it was a stupid idea?

i hate expensive shopping for small things at german petrol stations at night time after 11 pm when the most of our so called kiosk in bigger citys get closed

but i know also how it is 24 hour shopping in the states and a major supermall has just only 10 customer at 1 am

but is it neccessary????

no i don't think so

here in thailand what ever you need you will get at seven days around the week and ad night time ther is always a 7/11 around the corner

no point of concern about

the prices a quite the same where ever you go

freshmarkets are starting around 4 am most of the soi shops open already at 6 am the delivery of thai and western food is running untill 12 pm

so there is all the time a chance to spend my money

just do it after a night your night crusing in the morning

and you will not have an hangover because you want to remember your shopping list

isn't that good??????????

btw i just went 10 min ago to get some beer and soap shampoo and my cigarettes some egs and bacon for breakfast and a new toothbrust 268baht

Have the supermarkets stopped opening late too?

I used to go to Tesco's on the way back from the school run. but found they were closed all of a sudden (which meant either go on the 2nd school run, and then hit the rush hour, or make a separate trip - neither of which conserves fuel...)

I used to go to Tesco's on the way back from the school run. but found they were closed all of a sudden (which meant either go on the 2nd school run, and then hit the rush hour, or make a separate trip - neither of which conserves fuel...)

TESCO? Which branch?

Waddee Khap,

And until when?

All this sounds crazy!

Waddee...

This seems not to have been advertised but supermarkets have started to close at 11 or 12 pm again? (BIG C and LOTUS at least)

Why so, no need to save energy anymore? Or somebody ;-) understood it was a stupid idea?

Believe the malls and big dept stores lost tens of millions of baht in a month and told Thaksin that they would end up having to lay off hundreds of workers if the shorter opening hours remained in effect.

Waddee Khap,

And until when?

All this sounds crazy!

Waddee...

Believe the malls and big dept stores lost tens of millions of baht in a month and told Thaksin that they would end up having to lay off hundreds of workers if the shorter opening hours remained in effect.

Carrefour Rangsit have just laid off 7-8 cashiers according to my gf. She's obviously worried that she might be next. She's been there for 6 years so I hope it's the same as in England ref employees.... "first in, last to go".

TESCO? Which branch?

Not sure of the actual address - but it's on the road under the Ramindra - AtNarong expressway, just north of LadPrao Road.