Can The Language Barrier Drive A Farang Out Of The Kingdom Eventually?

PeaceBlondie

I think YOUR NATIONALITY could be part of the reason.

I resemble that remark.

You sure do :D

Thats funny, I am also American and am pretty fluent in Thai, before I moved here I was passable in Mandarin and studied French for 6 years. So I guess it just depends doesn't it? Haven't met that many British who can speak more than English either, so there you go.

Some people just don't have a language ability. I cannot do mathematics to save my life. Doesn't make me stupid, just means I use a calculator.

Stupidity is not measured by fluency in a language or ability to calculate. I can speak passable Thai and studied 'pure maths' at university. :D:o

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mean to imply that there aren't American linguists, but rather they are a bit rare. Also, it is a scientific fact that older people find it more difficult to learn foreign languages. The younger you start, the better.

Edited by Jingthing

I didn't mean to imply that there aren't American linguists, but rather they are a bit rare. Also, it is a scientific fact that older people find it more difficult to learn foreign languages. The younger you start, the better.

good save :D

It is true that the older you get the more difficult it is to learn but it also true that with some application, for some people, it can be possible to learn.

I have never gotten mathematics, dislike it intensely, and so avoid it when possible :o I can see where PB is coming from, unfortunately for PB, using Thai is pretty much unavoidable at some point in one's life in the country. So, will not being able to speak the language drive him out of the country? The fact that he asks the question in the first place is a clue to me.

... Thats funny, I am also American and am pretty fluent in Thai, before I moved here I was passable in Mandarin and studied French for 6 years. So I guess it just depends doesn't it? Haven't met that many British who can speak more than English either, so there you go...

Q. What do you call someone who can speak two languages?

A. Bilingual

Q. What do you call someone who can speak many languages?

A. A polyglot.

Q. What do you call someone who can speak only one language?

A. English.

:o

I dont buy that people are too old to learn Thai and there brain isnt that good no more.

Im dumb as <deleted> and even I can learn the language, if I can do it anyone can

Maybe parts of your brain are carrying much lower working hours and therefore could be described as younger :o

Cheers

I cannot do mathematics to save my life. Doesn't make me stupid, just means I use a calculator.

Pedants' corner: That's not mathematics, that's arithmetic.

Its got numbers, thats all that matters to me :o

I cannot do mathematics to save my life. Doesn't make me stupid, just means I use a calculator.

Pedants' corner: That's not mathematics, that's arithmetic.

Its got numbers, thats all that matters to me :o

I'm with you on that. Hate maths / arithmetic but like languages. I did a course once - long forgotten - something to do with the left and right lobes of the brain.

Anyway there does seem to be a pattern. Language as art - Math as science ? Who knows.

To respond to a few points that posters have made recently:

Americans who become expatriates (on more than one continent, in my case) try to learn the language, adapt to the new culture, etc. I have tried, and I re-learned Spanish at age 56. If I had been xenophobic, I would have stayed home (and never have moved into New Chinatown! :o).

I have been a math teacher, and an English teacher, but I believe after five years of thinking about Thai language, that I cannot learn it. This debate has not changed my opinion on that. I have good hearing for age 65, but my musician-wife said I was tone deaf, and I believe she was right. While I am not becoming senile, I do tend to reject learning entirely new complex structures from scratch. Some idiots can learn Thai; some geniuses cannot. I am neither, but cannot learn Thai.

I travel lightly, and cannot run around making photos of things I need names for. If I see it in the store, I can buy it. My partner does most of our shopping, arranges for repairs, etc.

I had a camera phone that must have also contained a microwave oven, a light saber, and a crescent wrench. Got a new phone without camera. Even it, however, could not ask directions, order non-spicy food, .....well, I could get a talking dic.........

Sometimes, it is the little things that drive you to distraction.

Today, I simply needed to put air into the tire of my motorcycle. I drove to my favorite station, and about five Thai people there were trying to figure out how to use both of the hoses for the high-pressure lines. As I waited my turn, I noticed that neither of the hoses was working very well. One of the Thais had to help another Thai just to put air in a motorcycle tire. I left. Today or tomorrow, I will have to go to the only place I know that has a tire machine that I know how to work.

Last week, the only ponytail holder that I had blew away. So, I went to Big C. I had to wander around among the brassieres and the ladies panties and the makeup and finally found two ponytail holders for 25 baht. There was no way that I could say to a sales clerk, "where are the ponytail holders?"

This sort of thing happens to me once or twice every week. I don't have much interaction with Thai people, but this is the country where I am supposed to live and survive. Another example: my partner went out to buy some medicine for me, which was Felopadin. He got the spelling wrong, and he called me on the mobile phone to ask me the name of the medicine. I spelled Phillapadinn about nine times, including once or twice when I spelled it wrong. In fact, filapaden is spelled two different ways on the Thai prescription. And my partner has been listening to my speech for almost 5 years. That means when I speak to a Thai person in this country, and speak in my own native English language, they don't understand me. I don't say Coke with the right vowel tone. In almost 5 years I have never pronounced cow pack guy correctly. I don't know if it's gone all G. K. or maybe it is not that guy or that guy. Pardon me but my voice recognition system does not have the slightest idea what I am saying. I suspect Thai people are the same way.

Should I just give up trying to communicate in this wonderful Kingdom? Should I just go back to Mexico where I know how to pronounce the phonemes and the people have a fairly good idea what in the Bostock I said? But please, if you are going to give me advice, probably you don't want to suggest that I'd learn to speak Thai. Thank you

Learning to speak Thai is probably the advice you of course do not want to hear but it is probably the best advice. I mean you are in Thailand, what do you expect people to speak? English may be the standard around the world but this is not the states. I've been here less than a year and picked up a good chunk of language without reading or studying, just everyday interaction. When you come to a different country you have accept things for the way they are and try to assimilate. I know how the whole Thai service and standard can be quite frustrating but can't let it get to you. I'm not trying to put you down or just saying how it is.