Can You Sing Your Country's National Anthem, Word For Word?

Jingthing

Can you sing your country's national anthem, word for word?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jingthing,

Notice I changed "offensive" to "pathetic" as on reflection, your comment is more the latter than the former; as is your response.

Still, what can one expect from a person who is ignorant enough to think the RoI is part of the UK!

I could not include all countries in the poll. I never thought the ROI was not a separate nation. I grouped all the island land masses in that region into one choice; I admit it could have been more clear and expanded more, so sue me, start your own poll if you don't like it.

Nice dodge though.

You failed to answer my direct question about your German anthem in modern times. Being German, you would know more about this than non-Germans, or you should know. I could care less whether you think I am pathetic, offensive, a prat, or whatever. By the way, Americans are not prats, <deleted> is the better word us.

Believe it or not, I restrained myself in suggesting a "prize" for you, the lampshade. I was going to post a picture of the prize but thought the better of it.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happened to Patriotism..........

I learned the British National Anthem at school

all three verses!!

I can also hum my way through the Thai Anthem, though I do not know the words.

Most Thais that I know are word perfect and proud of it.

I did do some research, thank you.

Although only the third stanza is used as the official German national anthem, the entire song is not illegal.

For a history of the song and an English translation, see this article.

The other comments directed at Jingthing were prompted by his nasty little comment about lampshades; totally unnecessary and very pathetic. You, Moonrakers, obviously don't agree.

Jingthing, my first reference to your mistake of including the RoI in the UK was treated to the comment "Blow me" from you. Care to expand?

No, I am neither German nor a Nazi. As you would know if you bothered to read posts in your own thread!

Edited by 7by7

You are the who posted lyrics associated with the Nazi era. If you are going to post stuff like that, be prepared for a reaction.

the Country I was born...

My error or rather your error for incomplete writing, assumed you were German based on that. If you don't want people to think you are German when you say you were born there, you would say where I was born but I am a citizen of x.

Edited by Jingthing

You are the who posted lyrics associated with the Nazi era. If you are going to post stuff like that, be prepared for a reaction.

My error or rather your error for incomplete writing, assumed you were German based on that.

I am not the author of the post from which you have quoted. I have never said I was born in Germany, but did say in an earlier post that I was English.

Get a grip (or release the one you have!)

My error or rather your error for incomplete writing, assumed you were German based on that.

I am not the author of the post from which you have quoted. I have never said I was born in Germany, but did say in an earlier post that I was English.

Get a grip (or release the one you have!)

You are correct. My mistake. Sorry about that.

The lyrics associated with, and added to the song by, the Nazis are:-

Die Fahne hoch! Die Reihen fest geschlossen!

SA marschiert mit ruhig festem Schritt.

Kameraden, die Rotfront und Reaktion erschossen,

Marschieren im Geist in unseren Reihen mit.

These lyrics were not included by Kurtgruen in his post.

Perhaps you should apologise to him as well.

I noticed that the majority of Americans said they could sing their National Anthem word for word however I seriously doubt that is true. If they can, however, I give them a lot of credit as I doubt if very many Americans know any more than the first verse of the anthem. My guess is that most Americans are not even aware that there is more than one verse. As you can see below, it is a long song in it's entirety. BTW I don't mind being called a Yank and in fact I do not even mind when the Taco Benders call me a Gringo. :o

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?

And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.

Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,

Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,

What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,

In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:

'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore

That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,

A home and a country should leave us no more!

Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

Between their loved home and the war's desolation!

Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

No apology called for as the third verse is the current anthem as far as I can gather, no UBBER ALLES, none, nada, nicht.

I noticed that the majority of Americans said they could sing their National Anthem word for word however I seriously doubt that is true.

I agree. We don't know it. Anyone reading that mess will understand why now!

Edited by Jingthing

God save our gracious Queen.

God save our noble Queen.

God save our Queen.

**DRUM ROLL*

DAH DAH DAH DAH DAH DAH

DAH DAD DAD DAH DAH DAH

DA DA DA DAH DAH DAH DAH DAH,

GOD SAVE OUR QUEEN.

That's what I'd tend to sing anyway.

Isnt it...

Send her Victorious,

Happy and Glorious,

Long live our noble Queen - God Save the Queen.......

I prefer singing along to Snoop Dog Hip-Hop music more though.

Well I am a Brit, part English, Scot and a bit of Irish but no Welsh (Insert sheep joke here).

I cannot sing the words of ours because

A/ It has too many verses (6).

B/ The last verse refers to the army crushing rebellious Scots which I find mildly absurd.

Ref point A/, normally only 3 verses in the generally recognised version.

Ref point B/, the verse you refer to has not been in use for over 200 years, and referred to "rebellious", (i.e. Jacobite) Scots. The Jacobites had their own anthem which had some strong anti-Protestant/Presbyterian sentiment, which I find extremely absurd.

But a change to hear from someone who actually knows more than the first verse.

Usual people who live in another country and travel a lot give no second thought about a national anthem. Many see them selves as world citizens. Contrary to that view a national anthem is a symbol of nationalism.

Same for national flags and stickers. An Union Jack next to an English restaurant is understandable to attract English customers or customers, who like English restaurants.

But why put up a national flag at the entrance of a private home? Or a GB sticker on the car?

all three verses!!

Sorry Astral there are 6 verses, the last verse goes on about the rebellious Scots

all three verses!!

right, a real patriot would never live in another country than in the country he was born.

right, a real patriot would never live in another country than in the country he was born.

You mean, like Benjamin Franklin ?

That shining light is an inappropriate example here.

Living in Thailand because of the comforts and advantages here and being a patriot (not in relation to Thailand) simultaneous is contradictory.

No apology called for as the third verse is the current anthem as far as I can gather, no UBBER ALLES, none, nada, nicht.

One last attempt to bring enlightenment to your ignorance.

If you look at the English translation I linked to earlier you will see that the meaning is not a call for Germans to conquer the world, as you seem to think, but a call for Germans to put their country first; a call for patriotism.

Not a sinister fascist message, but a patriotic song.

Your remark about lampshades was totally out of order, the same as if I asked an American how many Vietnamese children he has napalmed today.

One last attempt to bring enlightenment to your ignorance.

I am not ignorant. I know the same facts as you do. I just have a different perspective than you.

Note again: the ubber alles verses are NOT part of the current official German national anthem. Correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, nice try comparing the American-Vietnam war to the third reich. There is no equivalency there.

Edited by Jingthing

I know the words to the British anthem, don't sing cos I can't but I do still stand up when I hear it.

Well done Gymshark. For those Brits who don't know the the words, here's a reminder in all it's original glory:

Heil dir im Siegerkranz,

Herrscher des Vaterlands!

Heil, Kaiser dir.

Fühl´ in des Thrones Glanz

die hohe Wonne ganz:

Liebling des Volkes sein!

Heil Kaiser, dir!

Heilige Flamme, glüh´

glüh´ und erlösche nie

für´s Vaterland!

Wir alle stehen dann mutig für einen Mann,

kämpfen und bluten gern

für Thron und Reich!

Nicht Roß´ und Reisige

sichern die steile Höh´

wo Fürsten steh´n:

Liebe das Vaterlands,

Liebe des freien Mann´s

gründet der Herrscherthron

wie Fels im Meer.

Handlung und Wissenschaft

hebe mit Mut und Kraft

ihr Haupt empor!

Krieger- und Heldentat

finde ihr Lorbeerblatt

treu aufgehoben dort

an deinem Thron!

Sei, Kaiser Wilhelm, hier

lang deines Volkes Zier,

der Menschheit Stolz!

Fühl´ in des Thrones Glanz

die hohe Wonne ganz:

Liebling des Volks zu sein!

Heil, Kaiser, dir!

All together now...

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles

Do I win a price? lol ;-)

Isn't that an ILLEGAL song these days in Germany?

If so, your prize? How about a lampshade made with the skin of exterminated Jews (if you don't have one already)?

What an outrageous comment? Where are the mods?

Or a GB sticker on the car?

Aren't those a legal requirement though? I know dutch cars have/had (not been back home in a while) NL stickers on the back to denote that the car is registered in holland. Or are you talking about other stickers ?

Aren't those a legal requirement though? I know dutch cars have/had (not been back home in a while) NL stickers on the back to denote that the car is registered in holland. Or are you talking about other stickers ?

I was talking about cars in Thailand registered in Thailand with Thai number plates. Some people put additionally a GB or a CH or ... sticker on that . Have you never seen that? Obviously the car owner wants to tell others that he is from that country.

I grew up in the US, and each school day we had to pledge to the flag and sing a song with the same melody as "God Save the Queen" called "My Country 'Tis of Thee." Then we moved and I transferred to a Catholic school and a bunch of prayers got added. At one point they taught us the national anthem. The anthem never really clicked with me because I was never much on sports, and no one could tell me who Jose was.

Jose can you see ...........

I never considered myself a patriot but after going expat and seeing the English Bob character in "The Unforgiven" I've made it a practice that on every 4th of July to:

1) say something positive about the US (eg, I never had to eat okra the whole time I lived there)

2) sass a Brit. If no Brits around, I'll try to find a Canadian and nag them about how dumb they were to not join the Revolution.

Funny how a few month a go the next-to-be prime minister of Belgium Yves Letherme was asked by a TV reporter if he could sing the national anthem.

So he went in front of the cameras:" Allons enfants de la patrie-ie-e, Aux Armes les cityoens....

That was the FRENCH anthem idiot :o

You must be joking !

You never know. If the vlaemisch Flemish part of Belgium gets independent the french part may have to join la grande nation.

I seriously doubt that this is going to ever happen.........

I would not be so sure about it if I where you. :D

Edited by henryalleman

I was talking about cars in Thailand registered in Thailand with Thai number plates. Some people put additionally a GB or a CH or ... sticker on that . Have you never seen that? Obviously the car owner wants to tell others that he is from that country.

Ahh ok, i get what you mean. I can't recall seeing any but i live in bangkok, so i'm too busy avoiding telephone booths and pot holes on the sidewalk to pay much attention to the cars :o

Thanks for the explaination.

Isn't that an ILLEGAL song these days in Germany?

No, it is the national anthem of Germany.

If so, your prize? How about a lampshade made with the skin of exterminated Jews (if you don't have one already)?

You really are a pathetic little prat.

A quick google search will tell you that Jingthing is correct. Although maybe not illegal??? those first lines where dropped by the Germans themselves after WWII because they considered in bad taste considering the holocaust.

Kurtgruen, as a German himself should know better and so it is easy to question why he posted it. Any YOU should think to at least do a little research before launching into insults.

If you know the words of the Dutch and French national Anthem there is a lot of more blood and killing in it, like many national anthems its all about killing the enemy.

In the Dutch national anthem they call themselves of German blood.

For instance the Flemish national anthem even give the king a warning that the Flemish people will exist longer because they will overthrow the throne of the oppressor.

But on 11 of July, National Flemish holiday the present king once did sing this song together with the public at some celebration. I don't think he understood what he was singing.

Most of national anthems where written in the romantic nationalistic period of the 19th century. So they are an outdated relict of that era, when most modern countries where formed.

Those are the words of the Horst Wessel song, not of the German national anthem.

Because I don't like to offend people I will not put an link to it

This song is forbidden Germany, just like all the other Nazi military marches.

BTW I have more than 500 military marches from all over the world in my collection

I also put a VL sticker on my car. And on 11 July I hang the Flemish nationalistic flag(avatar) on my balcony, even my wife disapprove it completely.

Edited by henryalleman