90 Days Report Question.

First off, thanks all of you, for all the great advice I've received from this forum!

I'm in Phuket on a one year multiple entry business visa as I have a company registered here.

I've been reporting to the imigration office every 90 days as told.

But I left the country for 1 month to spend New Year at home.

Here's my question.

Do these 90 days start over from when I return to Thailand?

Or should I've reported as stated on my little slip still stapled in my passport?

If that's the case I've allready overstayed 3 weeks...

I got confused as I was looking through my passport and found that little slip saying I should report back on a specific day.

This can't be the case anymore right? I should count 90 new days from the day I returned to Thailand correct?

Just want to make sure 200% You never know with this system... :-)

Thank you for your time.

Rooster

The 90-day counter starts every time you enter Thailand.

You have a seven-day plus/minus grace period to report.

You can report by mail, if you so desire (avoid Nong Khai and Korat offices, however; suggest BKK only where you are assured of receiving a receipt back in return mail). There are forms online you can download for reporting by mail.

Edited for spelling error.

Edited by toptuan

Or should I've reported as stated on my little slip still stapled in my passport?

I got confused as I was looking through my passport and found that little slip saying I should report back on a specific day.

This can't be the case anymore right? I should count 90 new days from the day I returned to Thailand correct?

Rooster

I asked much the same thing a few weeks ago. My understanding was indeed that re-entering Thailand resets the 90 day clock. This was "confirmed" by the illustrious posters on this forum.

However, it was not what I was told at Pattaya Immigration when I asked the question there in December. Nor does it agree with advice from a local Pattaya visa company (which I have also posted elsewhere). So to be honest, and with due respect to the helpful posters here, I am still not 100% sure (let alone 200%!!!). This may be Pattaya-specific (again!), but I am not taking any risks. Immigration is close to the condo where I live, so it is no trouble to drop by on March 10 as the slip in my passport tells me to. If they tell me to go away and come back 90 days after my last re-entry date (which would be around about April 17), then fine and dandy. If not, then I avoid a 2000 Baht fine and maybe a bad-boy stamp in my passport.

Those are just my thoughts. Until I know the "system" here a little better, I intend to play things as safely as I can.

Thanks for your quick reply!

@Guderian, I understand why you'll rather pay an extra visit to imigration to avoid any missunderstanding...

I would to...

But since I'm allready 3 weeks over, I better pray that Toptuan is correct. Thanks alot by the way! You sound pretty sure.

Thanks alot guys.

However, it was not what I was told at Pattaya Immigration when I asked the question there in December. Nor does it agree with advice from a local Pattaya visa company (which I have also posted elsewhere).

Thai immigration operates much like the USA Internal Revenue Service: Individual agents are neither clear about the regulations themselves nor are responsible for conflicting information doled out to you.

The only way you can be really sure is do what you said, or ask several agents among many offices, peruse the written material (internet / brochures) and then draw conclusions. Of course, it helps to have lived here a half-decade as well. I have weathered all these factors and am currently "legal" in Thailand. :o

"You can report by mail, if you so desire (avoid Nong Khai and Korat offices..."

Why avoid Korat? They're still open, at least for now, and have always been user friendly.

Is there something new going on there?

Korat will not send me receipts, and when I call, they say they have no method to trace whether they've received my report or not. Unbelievable. Also, the Korat office is slated to close in the near future.

"Korat will not send me receipts, and when I call, they say they have no method to trace whether they've received my report or not. Unbelievable. Also, the Korat office is slated to close in the near future."

That's why 'registered' or EMS is the best way to send stuff to imm. That way there is a record of something being sent to them.

"...Korat will not send me receipts,..."

That sounds harsh. Any reason they've decided to not send you receipts?

I haven't had a problem.

"Also, the Korat office is slated to close in the near future."

There has recently been news coming from Korat saying they won't be closing. Conflicting info not as yet confirmed, but at least it's hopeful news.

Even if they do eventially close, it's full service until then.

"Korat will not send me receipts, and when I call, they say they have no method to trace whether they've received my report or not. Unbelievable. Also, the Korat office is slated to close in the near future."

That's why 'registered' or EMS is the best way to send stuff to imm. That way there is a record of something being sent to them.

The EMS trace shows Korat received the report, but no one would sign. "No signature" written in the signature box. Thanks, Korat!

I haven't had a problem.

Yes, it is harsh, especially when I explained to them that EMS showed it arrived (albeit no signature), and they continued to refuse to follow it up.

There has recently been news coming from Korat saying they won't be closing. Conflicting info not as yet confirmed, but at least it's hopeful news. Even if they do eventially close, it's full service until then.

I have issue with your "full service" description there! As to "not closing," I hope your rumor trumps my rumor.

Edited by toptuan

"I have issue with your "full service" description there!"

As I said, I haven't had a problem with them, and I've used them for 90 day reporting (by mail) and for visa extensions.

Sorry to hear you've had a problem, but by something you posted above I'd guess you often have problems with government employees/offices.

I, too, hope they don't close. Love them or hate them, they're better than some other options.

Terry

Rooster

I asked much the same thing a few weeks ago. My understanding was indeed that re-entering Thailand resets the 90 day clock. This was "confirmed" by the illustrious posters on this forum.

However, it was not what I was told at Pattaya Immigration when I asked the question there in December. Nor does it agree with advice from a local Pattaya visa company (which I have also posted elsewhere). So to be honest, and with due respect to the helpful posters here, I am still not 100% sure (let alone 200%!!!). This may be Pattaya-specific (again!), but I am not taking any risks. Immigration is close to the condo where I live, so it is no trouble to drop by on March 10 as the slip in my passport tells me to. If they tell me to go away and come back 90 days after my last re-entry date (which would be around about April 17), then fine and dandy. If not, then I avoid a 2000 Baht fine and maybe a bad-boy stamp in my passport.

Those are just my thoughts. Until I know the "system" here a little better, I intend to play things as safely as I can.

strange that in this third world country, you almost need a lawyer to be sure to play the LOS game about just reporting your stay every dam_n 90 days, as if any landlord will let you stay / rent a place for just 90 days where more like a lease of a year is more likely t happen ... and if they don't even keep records or all this paperwork (guess it brings a lot of jobs to those people to give you a stampie) or have a useable internet site in 2008 !!! (still live in the bananas time) to report and avoid all this running around

i just call it harrasment, same as that stupid having to do expensive and annoying border run for a stupid stamp in your passport

in my country, they would call these annoying things thrown upto foreigners plain simple RASCISM !

I have only reported to Pattaya according to the slip in the passport when I am in Country. Having been away I start the 90 days from entering Thailand again. I have never had a problem with this, but of course, there is always a first time! Also, if you report early, you just start the 90 days from then again. They don't tell you that you've come too early!!!

I know of many people who report to Pattaya Immigration after they have arrived in the country and then start their 90 day reporting from the date of the report.

These folk will also tell you that immigration confirm that they should do this, and I have even read advice from one of the more respected Pattaya based visa companies that you should report there within 2 days of arrival.

However, I have been in Pattaya for over 3 years now, and I only report when my 90 days are up after entering the country from a trip abroad and no-one at Pattaya immigration has ever raised a query. The most recent such event was in January this year.

So I can only surmise that Immigration PREFER you to go and report after you arrive in Thailand but there is no real legal basis for this practice.

in my country, they would call these annoying things thrown upto foreigners plain simple RASCISM !

give me a break! you obviously have no idea about how easy it is for thai citizens to live in or even visit your dear country for a holiday?

according to YOU, your country - and pretty much all other western countries - must be one of the worst RACIST nations, congratulations!

(sorry for OT)

When I renewed my visa in Pattaya last year, I was past the reporting date shown in my passport but I had left Thailand in the intervening period. The Immigration Officer amended the date to show 90 days after I had last entered Thailand. No problems when I did do my 90 day reporting a week or so later.

I hope this is still the case as I am well past the "due" date having been in and out of the country 3 times since I last reported. I will need to report a new address towards the end of next month so I will find out what their practice is then. Further, I need a new passport later this year so any stamps will be in my old passport, though no doubt recorded on Immigration's computer system.

Alan

I haven't had a problem.

There has recently been news coming from Korat saying they won't be closing. Conflicting info not as yet confirmed, but at least it's hopeful news.

Even if they do eventially close, it's full service until then.

Last month a friend of mine and myself sent 90 day postal reports on the same day. His was returned by Nong Khai immigration with 7 days whereas after 3 weeks of waiting i contacted Bangkok Immigration to enquire whether mine was being processed. I was informed by a senior officer that their office had not received my application and that i should travel to an immigration office (closest 200kms away) and pay a 2000 baht fine. As i had a posting receipt i decided to wait and my reporting return slip duly arrived at my home address 3 days later, having beeen posted on the day of my enquiry.

Enclosed was a comment that i should have returned my last 90 day slip which i found puzzling as i had only re-entered the country 85 days prior to posting and enclosed documentary evidence to this effect.

With regard to the story concerning the closer of Korat immigration, another friend who visited their office last week enquired as to the rumour. He was informed that there was no review in progress but the senior staff member there has started the rumour following the result of the recent election (New party may bring new policies???)

This type of baseless rumour, especially when started by a senior member of staff, which has consequently involved petitions in support of non-closer by other 'concerned' farangs, i personally find quite appalling. What say you??

"This type of baseless rumour, especially when started by a senior member of staff, which has consequently involved petitions in support of non-closer by other 'concerned' farangs, i personally find quite appalling. What say you??"

It does make you wonder, doesn't it?

Closing that office makes no sense, at least to me, so there could be something to what you are reporting.

As to why someone would do that, it's beyond me.

First off, thanks all of you, for all the great advice I've received from this forum!

I'm in Phuket on a one year multiple entry business visa as I have a company registered here.

I've been reporting to the imigration office every 90 days as told.

But I left the country for 1 month to spend New Year at home.

Here's my question.

Thank you for your time.

Rooster

i picked my passport up today from renewal and was told immaterial of exits /entries the 90 days are from the date stamp to 90 days after, and thats what i did on the last 12 month one,

Who told you that? And how did they propose you report when you are not in Thailand? And what did they say about the official instructions on Immigration Hqs web site saying "If a foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 1 in every case."?

This is interesting. I was told last year by an IO at Suan Plu that the dates given on the slip must be adhered to whatever I did. I've just returned from a short overseas trip (with a re-entry stamp) and the IO at the airport specifically told me that I did not need to report on the date on my slip (today actually) but to wait another 90 days. Seems to be something amiss.

When I returned from a trip to UK last year I re-entered Thailand on the same day as my 90 report was due. At the airport immigration told me I still had to do a 90 day report at my local immigration. The following day I went to Korat immigration and they made me fill out and submit a 90 day report form, even though I had come through the airport the day before.

So as usual it looks like it's up to the specific officer at the specific office on the specific day as to what they want you to do!

Edited by billrose

When I returned from a trip to UK last year I re-entered Thailand on the same day as my 90 report was due. At the airport immigration told me I still had to do a 90 day report at my local immigration. The following day I went to Korat immigration and they made me fill out and submit a 90 day report form, even though I had come through the airport the day before.

So as usual it looks like it's up to the specific officer at the specific office on the specific day as to what they want you to do!

Want you meant is what they will tell you to do. You know what you are suppose to do, why are people asking, just begs to be told something different. In probably several hundred entries over 10 years, I have never had an immigration officer say anything about 90 day reporting. Why ask him/her if they doesn't bring it up?

Report your address every 90 days or within 90 day of an entry. Follow that and you cannot go wrong, dispite what anyone else will tell you in advance of actually reporting.

TH

Edited by thaihome

After reading this thread I was unsure re my 90 day report date (due next monday but I left the country and returned last week) and presumed the clock started from the day I got back to Thailand. Popped in to Samui Immigration and was told that I must report on the due date on the slip regardless of any exit/re-entry date! Looks like this is getting more widespread.......previously this office has restarted the 90 days if you leave and return. :o

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would just revive this one as the subject is the same.

I had a look at the Pattaya Immigration website - good work from those folk! I'm coming up to my first 90 day report under a retirement extension to a Non-O. This report is due around 11th March according to the slip in my passport, though as I last re-entered the Kingdom on 17th January it should not really be due until about 15th April following the 90 day rule. There seems to be some ambiguity between what different people (including myself) have been told as to whether I should report on 11th March or 15th April.

Form TM47 - to my mind, anyway - clears up this ambiguity. The smart people at Pattaya Immigration have the usual bunch of downloadable PDF files to allow you to print out and then snail mail certain forms, but - and this was new to me - a few forms can apparently be completed and sent on-line. TM47 is one of them, see:

http://www.pattaya-immigration.org/dform/form_tm47.php

This form only asks for your last date of arrival in Thailand, nothing about the date on the slip in your passport. After filling in your last date of arrival, it says "I HAVE NOW BEEN STAYING IN THAILAND FOR 90 DAYS...", so the clock does indeed seem to be reset by a re-entry as many people have advised. If you are a regular traveller, never staying in the Kingdom for more than 90 days at a time, then you will never need to fill in one of these reports - that's how I read it, anyway.

That seems to be clear-cut to me. There is a 'SEND' button at the bottom of the form so that (I assume) it can be transmitted directly to Pattaya Immigration - there's no need to actually physically report to the office!!! Now THAT seems like customer-friendly service - if I have got it right. Wouldn't that be great, especially for those living out in the changwats, far away from an Immigration Office?

Have I got this right about the electronic reporting, so there is no need to go to the Immigration Office any more? Has anyone done a 90 day report electronically like this? How do you know if they have received it?

Thanks for any experiences.