Life Changes

seonai

Hey well to cut a long story short I had undiagnosed TB for several years in Thailand and the result of all that has changed my life remarkably. This happened in Thailand and still has implications in Thailand due to my marriage situation there and my own personal connections with Thailand. I can't get out of the Thai connection. I have a half Thai child, I speak fluent Thai, I am British, I want to be in a situation where my son is able to connect both with Thai and Farang folks...

Have any of you had life changing experiences in Thailand?

Hey well to cut a long story short I had undiagnosed TB for several years in Thailand and the result of all that has changed my life remarkably. This happened in Thailand and still has implications in Thailand due to my marriage situation there and my own personal connections with Thailand. I can't get out of the Thai connection. I have a half Thai child, I speak fluent Thai, I am British, I want to be in a situation where my son is able to connect both with Thai and Farang folks...

I'm sorry about the TB. Did you go to more than one doctor/hospital in order to confirm the diagnosis? Doing so is a MUST in this country due to the large number of incompetent "doctors".

Seonai, sorry to here about your health problem, and the implications it holds for your son, hope things get better.

Camerata, sure Buddhism when practiced is a great ideal, shame alot of the population just take from it what they want, then <deleted> on everybody when they see a benifit for themselves.

Sorry about your TB, we got a shock when my grandson was diagnosed with TB in germany 5 years ago, as far as your son is concerned, even as an old codger I think his thai heritage is very important,As a very young man I was sent to north eastern thailand, in the days of not many roads no running water, and 100 kms north of bangkok , all creature comforts ended, for 3 years I ate ,slept and breathed Thai , it was anexperience that changed my life, no matter where I travelled in later years, I was always drawn back to thailand, and so I made many thai friends everywhere in the early 90,s, we bumped into a 16 year old asian boy in farnborough hampshire, he was wearing a chain and amulett, so I greeted him in thai, to which he replied I dont speak thai sir my father has banned everything thai from our home,we invited him to come along to our home on monday evening to meet up with other thai,s at our little thai club,he became a regular visitor and over the years we got to know him and his mum very well, to watch this young man blossom from being just another child of mixed race in UK into a young proud thai gentleman, now employed by BA as cabin crew, and teaching his children the thaiway of life :o Nignoy

Camerata, sure Buddhism when practiced is a great ideal, shame alot of the population just take from it what they want, then <deleted> on everybody when they see a benifit for themselves.

C'mon Solent, not exactly helpful to the OP's question.

But to answer the question, sure changed me from the, 'Rocky Road', to a much smoother one.

Moss

to which he replied I dont speak thai sir my father has banned everything thai from our home

I never understand this, you marry someone from another country & culture but don't want any part of their identity in your life together. Very odd & very sad for this young man, thankfully he & his mum met people like the nignoys to let him enjoy the other side of his heritage freely. :D

In our home, thailand plays a massive part & our son is exposed to both langauges, both kinds of food & will, hopefully learn two cultures, histories & lifestyles.

Seonai I think you do a good job in letting nostrils explore his thai side but think he has needed in the last couple of years to get in touch with his Brit side too :o now he just needs oportunities to meet more thai people but I'm sure, now you are all better settled that that side will open up for both of you too & new freindships can be formed to balance it all out.

I found an answer to my alcohol and drug addiction - haven't had a drop now for over 7 years. :o I couldn't even begin to describe you much my life has changed for the better - unbelievable!!

Five or more years in any 'foreign' culture can change you forever. Two years on and off among Mayans in Mexico changed me even more (and I only learned 15 words!). And none of us gets younger, not even Peter Pan and ponytails. :o I had a major accident, lost my humerus, then had a stroke. Expatriate life is more intense and memorable than staying back in the old country. If I leave Thailand, I will never forget coming here, and won't regret it.

People in any religion will take from it what they need. But I'm sure you'd find as many serious Buddhists in Thailand as serious Christians in a Western country. I see Buddhism more as a way of life than an ideal. But you only get the real benefits if you're serious about it. This is what most Thais miss.

It's been a gradual realization, that if I stay in South East Asia, I will end up being broke in the 60s. Therefore, I'll have to return to the U.S. to plan ahead in the future, so I can hopefully get old in Asia.

It's a life change because, I have to make changes.

Sorry about your TB, we got a shock when my grandson was diagnosed with TB in germany 5 years ago, as far as your son is concerned, even as an old codger I think his thai heritage is very important,As a very young man I was sent to north eastern thailand, in the days of not many roads no running water, and 100 kms north of bangkok , all creature comforts ended, for 3 years I ate ,slept and breathed Thai , it was anexperience that changed my life, no matter where I travelled in later years, I was always drawn back to thailand, and so I made many thai friends everywhere in the early 90,s, we bumped into a 16 year old asian boy in farnborough hampshire, he was wearing a chain and amulett, so I greeted him in thai, to which he replied I dont speak thai sir my father has banned everything thai from our home,we invited him to come along to our home on monday evening to meet up with other thai,s at our little thai club,he became a regular visitor and over the years we got to know him and his mum very well, to watch this young man blossom from being just another child of mixed race in UK into a young proud thai gentleman, now employed by BA as cabin crew, and teaching his children the thaiway of life :o Nignoy

Thats a really nice story!! i admire you