People's Alliance For Democracy To Renew Movement

sriracha john

And where we are just at it...

Where is you people's outrage against Gen. Surayudh, who not just was in command of Special Warfare Command troops during the May '92 massaker, but who also personally want with his bodyguards during the demonstrations to the Royal Hotel, where his bodyguards have beaten and rifle butted injured protesters, doctors and nursing staff in Surayudh's presence.

Samak is not alone in having commited/instigated atrocities here.

Good point.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really have a problem with the PAD protesting prematurely. They stand to lose credibility. Other than vote buying by the PPP, which is the EC's albatross to do something about, there is nothing yet to demonstrate about. The PPP's movement of people is no different than the junta's movement of people. Tit for tat. Best to wait for the PPP to show their real cards before protesting over nothing. Time is on the PAD's side. Wait until a protest is justified.

^ :D

=============================================================================

People's Assembly Protests Against Transfer of of Buriram's Deputy Police Commander

Representatives of the People’s Assembly in the Northeast have demanded the reinstatement of Buriram province’s Deputy Police Commander. They claim he was moved to protect local politicians and will stage a protest if the decision is not reversed within 15 days.

President of the Northeastern branch of the People’s Assembly Chaiwat Sinsuwong and former Yasothorn Senator Somboon Tonguran stated that the assembly has decided to officially protest the transfer of Buriram Deputy Police Commander Police Colonel Sungworn Pupaichitkul to Sri Saket province.

The assembly is handing an official complaint to the Region 3 Police and will make the same complaint to the National Police Office.

Chaiwat claims that since Police Colonel Sungworn is also a member of the Election Commission’s investigative committee, many high profile cases he is handling could be affected. The people who will benefit from his transfer are allegedly corrupt local politicians who are under investigation.

Chaiwat says officials are being given 15 days to reconsider the matter. The assembly will then decide on a further course of action, which could result in a major protest against the transfer order.

Meanwhile, reports also indicate that Buriram Police Commander Police Colonel Sommai Kongvisaisuk could soon be transferred as well.

- Thailand Outlook

============================================================================

The Nation is more direct in it's implications...

Justice pledged for transferred official

The Election Commission yesterday vowed to give justice to a Buriram provincial Deputy Police Chief.

EC member Prapan Naikowit said Pol Colonel Sangworn Poopaijitkul, also a provincial EC member, had been transferred to an inactive post in Si Sa Ket on March 3.

The EC will check whether he was transferred for political reasons for carrying out his duties as a commission member. "If we ignore his plight, no one will want to work for the EC," Prapan said.

Sangworn is also in charge of the case against Chai Chidchob - father of Newin Chidchob - who has been accused of encroaching on forestland.

- The Nation

===============================================================================

additonal footnote to the above.

The Buriram EC, included the transferred Sanworn, were responsible for red-carding all three Buriram People Power Party's winners... which were subsequently won by Matchima Thipathai party candidates. A real thorn in Newin's side no doubt.

As per above footnote, it seems that plus his investigation of Newin's father spelled doom for him....

Senior officer says transfer political

He investigated case against Newin's father

The Deputy Chief of Buriram police has struck out at his transfer from the province, complaining it was linked to political issues and unfair. Pol Col Sangworn Phupaijitkul, who also served as provincial Election Commissioner in the Dec 23 polls, was transferred last week to Si Sa Ket province. Buriram is a political stronghold of Newin Chidchob, a former key executive of the TRT Party who was banned from politics for five years following the dissolution of that party for electoral fraud. Sangworn complained to reporters yesterday that his transfer was unfair. He attributed it to his investigation into poll fraud in Buriram and alleged legal violations by the family of certain well-known politicians. Sangworn had investigated alleged encroachment on State Railway of Thailand property by Chai Chidchob, Newin's father. "I would like superiors to care about their subordinates who work hard. I came up with results and achievements but was put on the shelf for a long time. Now that I have dared check those in power, I am transferred unfairly," Sangworn said. He said if he did not complain, many more junior government officials in Buriram would be transferred and bandits would enjoy freedom. Meanwhile, National Election Commissioner Sumeth Upanisakorn said yesterday the government must be held responsible for undermining the morale of government officials in cases such as Sangworn's transfer. He said Sangworn was a Buriram provincial election officer who worked hard and pushed for the disqualification of cheating candidates. Sanwaorn was the province's poll fraud investigator who successfully convinced the Election Commission (EC) and the Council of State to red-card three candidates of the People Power Party (PPP) in Buriram in the Dec 23 election last year. "I hope there was a good reason that can be explained to the public [for the transfer] otherwise it will backfire. And if this is about revenge, that political party certainly see a bad result," Mr Sumeth said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/11Mar2008_news09.php

==================================================

btw, the accused Chai Chidchob, in a rather ironic misnomer, has become:

Chai becomes Chief Whip

The Cabinet Wednesday appointed a Government Coordination Committee for Parliamentary Affairs with Chai Chidchob being its Chairman.

- The Nation

:o

Edited by sriracha john

The "another" PAD.... takes further steps in the matter....

People's Assembly Issues Protest Letter to Region 3 Police

The People’s Assembly’s Northeastern arm has submitted a letter to the Region 3 Police Commander, officially requesting him to reconsider his decision to transfer the Deputy Commander of Buriram Police. A deadline of 15 days has been given.

Vice Chairman of the Northeastern People’s Assembly Nopson Settarangsri, together with five other leaders of the group, officially handed a letter of protest to the Region 3 Police Commander at Muang District of Nakhon Ratchasrima province.

They are demanding that he reconsider his decision to transfer Police Colonel Sangworn Poopaijitkul from his post as Deputy Buriram Police Commander to an inactive post in Sri Saket province. Police Major General Amnat Anartngarm, the Commander’s Deputy, accepted the letter on his behalf.

In the letter, the assembly states that it is clear that the unfair transfer of Police Colonel Sangworn resulted from his work in investigating alleged corrupt actions by local politicians and his part as a member of the local Election Commission’s investigative committee.

Sangworn’s investigations have, in the past election, led to the disqualification of three MP-elects. He is currently involved in an investigation which could possibly lead to other MPs being yellow carded.

The Region 3 Police Commander has been given 15 days to reconsider his decision before the assembly will decide to stage mass protests against the transfer.

Police Major General Amnat assures the assembly that the issue will be taken into careful consideration.

- Thailand Outlook

The military government didn't mess with judiciary, otherwise Thaksin would have been sentenced already. Current, democratically elected government made fixing Thaksin's fate its first priority. Citizens have all the right, and, in fact, it's their duty, to try to prevent the government from deviating from its course. They can use the media, they can rely on civil society, ultimately they can take to the streets. It's about making themselves heard.

Is it the kind of justice you advocate?

Because one dares to disagree and suddenly one is naive (?), a troll (still don't undertsand the meaning) or other nice things ...

It's not a personal attack, I ask you because you seem to be the one with the more judgement. Honestly what I read here scares me sometime.

post-54001-1205399320_thumb.jpg

Honestly what I read here scares me sometime.

Yes, the right-wingers are out in force.

Apparently, PAD demos sponsored by the elite establishment are ok if they are anti-thaksin and a coup was justified to topple the overwhelmingly elected TRT -- but progressive anti-establishment student demos that threaten the elite establishment (such as those in the 90's, 80's and 70's) - ironically also calling for the ousting of a sitting (usually) military pro-establishment Government - somehow 'rightly' call for a bloody crackdown and the murders, rapes and mutilations of young Thais with left-wing ideology.

Maybe one day these guys will get a bit of their own medicine - what goes around comes around.

The PAD does seem to have been somewhat quiet during the coup days, how does democracy fit into military dictatorship? Always being there championing the cause through thick and thin tends to give credibility, somrthing lacking here. There again some vile regimes have democracy in their names but their philosophy has nothing to do with that concept.

The military government didn't mess with judiciary, otherwise Thaksin would have been sentenced already.

Can you explain the connection between slow moving Thaksin cases and your lynch mob picture? Do you think they are similar? In what way?

If the junta was as evil as you say, it would have been Thaksin hanging there, but the reality is just opposite - he has been released on bail and granted a persmission to leave the country for a month. Could they have been more lenient after he evaded the court for half a year?

As the whole world knows the junta's ridiculous self-appointed courts and commissions are invalid by any perspective, of course they had to allow Thaksin freedom of movement. Behind close doors much is happening. What we read in the "New Light of Bangkok", the Army's voice which publishes under the names "The Nation" and "Bangkok Post", is utter self-serving fabrication.

The military government didn't mess with judiciary, otherwise Thaksin would have been sentenced already.

Can you explain the connection between slow moving Thaksin cases and your lynch mob picture? Do you think they are similar? In what way?

If the junta was as evil as you say, it would have been Thaksin hanging there, but the reality is just opposite - he has been released on bail and granted a persmission to leave the country for a month. Could they have been more lenient after he evaded the court for half a year?

I think you will find Thaksin didn't return till after the Junta was replaced, no mystery why, although for all that what would have happened here if they had jailed him? Also seem to recall the coup took place whilst he was out of the country. Would you have returned in his place? :o

You highlight the wrong sentence. The one my picture refers to is : "They can use the media, they can rely on civil society, ultimately they can take to the streets."

They did use the media, they did rely on civil society, then people voted. Democracy is not mob power.

Ah, it's not the junta you compare to lynch mobs, it's the PAD.

Interesting. They've been on the streets for half a year, thousands of people, and nothing happened. There was ONE incident when a man shouting pro-Thaksin slogans at a PAD rally was hustled, police intervened and rally organisers kept the situation well under control.

All violence so far has been perpetrated by pro-Thaksin mobs (for the lack of a better word). Do you need the list?

I remember in PAD days Nattakon was fiercly attacking Thaksin, I don't think he was explicitly pro-PAD but it certainly looked so.

Now this piece - he might be right in downgrading PAD leaders, and, as I said many times, individually they really don't amount to much, they were big only because they expressed the will of millions of anti-Thaksin Thais. Today the situation is different. I also agree that PAD is a bit of a misnomer - first and foremost it was alliance against Thaksin.

However, the social forces behind it, let's call them "middle classes", have aspirations extending a lot further than ousting one little dictator. They want accountability of the government, they want transparency and integrity, they want the government that makes sense. Nattakon is dead scared of that.

He is a "messenger" for big business and these people have their own agenda. When Thaksin served it well, he was acceptable. When he turned paranoid and created all this political mess they turned their backs on him. They abhor people like Samak or old Democrats, but for their incomptence, not for their ideology. They think they are the cream of the nation, the new elites. They want the country for themselves, shielded by skillful politicians like Thaksin from public scrutiny.

Middle classes are their enemy, subservient peasants and Thaksin style democracy is their weapon.

He just wrote another Anchorman column, the most revealing so far, imo. He actually said that "Bangkok's real values are similar to those of Venezuela, North Korea, Cuba, Bolivia, and other leftist states out in the world", mainly because they voted for consumer right activist Rosana. He simply can't stand when people challenge big businesses like PTT that rip off the country, create hunge monopolies, and break their own promises, he thinks that it's the way to "decline and stagnation".

That articel says it all about his attitude to public participation in governing the country.

Interestingly, BP gave Rosana a chance to defend herself and she did a good job.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/130308_News/13Mar2008_news95.php

I remember in PAD days Nattakon was fiercly attacking Thaksin, I don't think he was explicitly pro-PAD but it certainly looked so.

Now this piece - he might be right in downgrading PAD leaders, and, as I said many times, individually they really don't amount to much, they were big only because they expressed the will of millions of anti-Thaksin Thais. Today the situation is different. I also agree that PAD is a bit of a misnomer - first and foremost it was alliance against Thaksin.

However, the social forces behind it, let's call them "middle classes", have aspirations extending a lot further than ousting one little dictator. They want accountability of the government, they want transparency and integrity, they want the government that makes sense. Nattakon is dead scared of that.

He is a "messenger" for big business and these people have their own agenda. When Thaksin served it well, he was acceptable. When he turned paranoid and created all this political mess they turned their backs on him. They abhor people like Samak or old Democrats, but for their incomptence, not for their ideology. They think they are the cream of the nation, the new elites. They want the country for themselves, shielded by skillful politicians like Thaksin from public scrutiny.

Middle classes are their enemy, subservient peasants and Thaksin style democracy is their weapon.

He just wrote another Anchorman column, the most revealing so far, imo. He actually said that "Bangkok's real values are similar to those of Venezuela, North Korea, Cuba, Bolivia, and other leftist states out in the world", mainly because they voted for consumer right activist Rosana. He simply can't stand when people challenge big businesses like PTT that rip off the country, create hunge monopolies, and break their own promises, he thinks that it's the way to "decline and stagnation".

That articel says it all about his attitude to public participation in governing the country.

Interestingly, BP gave Rosana a chance to defend herself and she did a good job.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/130308_News/13Mar2008_news95.php

Rosana's reply ran rings around the vitriolic and IMO, ugly, attack on her by this poorly informed "news analyst" (if he thinks Bangkok could be compared with Pyongyang) and right-wing toff, who would seem to represent the voice of a regressive minority. Her standing in my opinion has gone up hugely on the basis of this reply.

Nattakorn Devakula has a claer mind .

I think the left wing ______ like Rosana will soon fade out of public favor.

The one thing clear on his mind, "save my own ass first".

Seems to me that his views always depended which way the wind blew.

Yet another shifty Kent Brockman-like character I never trusted.

Nattakorn Devakula has a claer mind .

I think the left wing ______ like Rosana will soon fade out of public favor.

The one thing clear on his mind, "save my own ass first".

Seems to me that his views always depended which way the wind blew.

Yet another shifty Kent Brockman-like character I never trusted.

He is so enamoured with himself that he cannot express a clear.articulated, analytical thought.

She nailed him to the floor with her response .

I think "news career" stage of his life is over, he'll go into movies and advertising next.

Perhaps I'm too old, but doesn't he look like one of those young opportunists with impressive resumes who can't hold a job for longer than a year due to their innate incompetence? They are ALWAYS on the move to greener pastures, you just have to play along, nod and occasionally say "wow" when they describe incredible life adventures they had since leaving high school, they'll be out of the door before you remember their names.

That's life in the 21st century, glad I won't be seeing most of it.

You see what happens when you have an artificially created elite with priviledged off-spring the like of "ML" Nattakorn Devakula spouting their childish drivel on a soap box granted him by a groveling editorial board?

You're right -- she mopped the floor with him. Justified loss of 'na'..(face)

It's so refreshing to see someone who will take on the priviledged establishment's corrupt ways. To me this is neither pro-nor-anti TRT. But it is just the kind of activism so despartely needed here. I hope her sole voice is joined by a chorus of others - to chase these self-serving guanxi families back into their compounds.

Comparing Bangkokians with natives of Pyongyang (good grief), and other "leftist" cities - as he puts it - is as ridiculous as someone comparing him with an Oligarch Muscovite (on second thought..)

I agree, we a moving from Thaksin to real issues - which way will this country go? Who will main actors? Who will set the atmosphere?

In the cities it will be middle classes through people like Rosana. In the country side Samak style demagogues. Big business will retreat and work from behind the scenes, quietly supporting TRT/PPP because they are easier to manipulate.

Giles and his fellow leftists, meanwhile, will be harping on about class struggles and awakening of the masses, playing into big business hands.

I'm not against Giles' right to think and say what he thinks is right. But on the whole the left has completely misread the situation and so they are not providing a valuable service to the country, they could certainly do better.

I'm not against Giles' right to think and say what he thinks is right. But on the whole the left has completely misread the situation and so they are not providing a valuable service to the country, they could certainly do better.

Well you may well have a point. But everytime they try to engage grassroots populist uprisings or campaigns to challenge the establishment they get chased out into the jungle or massacred at the Universities.

The Democrats represent the Establishment and anyone with any power/influence/guanxi is on the 'right' side of the fence while the other 90% is on the other side. Now what? What do YOU think they should do? They want decent schools with decent teachers, they want access to reasonable and affordable health care, they want title to the land they live on without the fear that some corrupt poo-yai will turn up a year later and take it away from them. It's THEIR country..they make up 90% of the population so it is rightfully theirs - not the 10% of corrupt elites who've been screwing the system since day one.

What would you have them do to take back what is rightfully theirs?

take back what is rightfully theirs

How much of it is rightfully theirs? I agree that that they don't get their fair share, but who is to determine what their fair share is?

As for 10% vs. 90% - you missed my earlier point, the "middle classes". They are the only ones actually trying to rein in the elite, judging by voting patterns they are somewhere in the 40% range. The poor (your 90%) have taken the side of the richest, the side of the "new elite", and your 10% is split between old powers and the emerging business class. They are aren't exactly fighting with each other, but they draw support from opposite side of Thaksin split.

When the country gets over Thaksin, we'll eventually see the traditional 10%-90% again, people will realise that they are figthing the wrong enemy, but the "new elites" won't let that happen easily, they won't let the poor slip out of their control. When the banned TRT execs come back, they'll get all support they need from big business.

take back what is rightfully theirs

How much of it is rightfully theirs? I agree that that they don't get their fair share, but who is to determine what their fair share is?

As for 10% vs. 90% - you missed my earlier point, the "middle classes". They are the only ones actually trying to rein in the elite, judging by voting patterns they are somewhere in the 40% range. The poor (your 90%) have taken the side of the richest, the side of the "new elite", and your 10% is split between old powers and the emerging business class. They are aren't exactly fighting with each other, but they draw support from opposite side of Thaksin split.

When the country gets over Thaksin, we'll eventually see the traditional 10%-90% again, people will realise that they are figthing the wrong enemy, but the "new elites" won't let that happen easily, they won't let the poor slip out of their control. When the banned TRT execs come back, they'll get all support they need from big business.

You're "right" (pardon the intended pun) from the point that the elites (PPP and Democrats) have all wound the 70,80,90% (pick your figure) around their little finger to carry on their domination of the society here (middle class and the poor). We know that these elites are well, well, protected. And everytime some author tries to point out the reality of things - their books get banned.

But I'm sure there are some other reasons for this censorship than the usual claims of lesse majeste..I'm sure. (and so are most others..I'll bet even including you).

PPP MPs form group to hold rallies to counter PAD's rallies - THE NATION - 17.03.08 -

A progovernment group formed by People Power Party MPs plans to hold weekly meetings in parallel with those organised by the antigovernment People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

Pracha Prasopdee, a People Power MP from Samut Prakan who heads the newly-formed Public Group for the Protection of Democracy, said Monday that its gatherings would take place every Friday at venues close to those of the PAD.

This would begin with its first gathering on March 28, to be held at the Royal Hotel, he said.

The PAD has scheduled its meeting on the same day at Thammasat University, on the opposite side of Sanam Luang. The group recently renewed its campaign against what it called the "Thaksin regime", which it accuses the current government of trying to revive.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is blatant intimidation and possible - inevitable - harassment. And probably has the snide endorsement of the government.

Free speech in Thailand?

Not for much longer I suspect.

Thaksin's boys are back at the helm. Who wants a broken and bloodied nose and fractured ribs to go with it? :o

Edited by bulmercke

...the elites (PPP and Democrats) have all wound the 70,80,90% (pick your figure) around their little finger to carry on their domination of the society here (middle class and the poor)....

There's a huge difference between PPP and Democrats from whichever angle you look at it, except, perhaps, a Khmer Rouge like purges.

But I'm sure there are some other reasons for this censorship than the usual claims of lesse majeste..I'm sure. (and so are most others..I'll bet even including you).

Not that many books get banned, and even banned ones were discussed at the recent Thai studies conference. I suspect that books you have in mind don't appeal to the general public because they don't make sense.

This is blatant intimidation and possible - inevitable - harassment. And probably has the snide endorsement of the government.

Interesting logic: The group that has already brought the country to a standstill through months of demonstrations, brought down an elected government, has enabled the military to stage a coup a few weeks before already sceduled elections, threatens now to repeat their demonstrations only a few months after a government was elected.

That in a position where the country slowly finds its way back to normalcy even though a very instable economy and slowly returning foreign investors is the real intimidation.

Who here is really out to damage Thailand beyond repair? A government that managed to get elected even though all powers during the military coup have been against its leading party (and that most likely will fall by its inherent weaknesses sooner than later) and at least projects a resemblence of internal stability to the rest of the world, or a group with vocal minority support that can neither accept popular elections nor accept that renewed unrest will do more long term damage to Thailand than the government they are fighting against?

This is not the time to demonstrate against the government, and i truly hope that this time the parliamentary opposition, and the elitist extraparliamentary opposition will not give their support to the PAD anymore. They should wait until (and if) there is a real case for such street demonstrations, and not just fear of the leadership of the PAD for personal disadvantages.

Given the precedence of '05/'06 - the government has a strong case for calling in an emergency and arresting the leadership of the PAD. Which is something that would be very unfortunate, and would lead to even more unrest in a time Thailand simply cannot afford any more political instability than there already is.

As long as there is no political party other than TRT/PPP actually going into the villages, works with the villagers to find policies to those social sectors long term benefit - we will only see TRT/PPP get elected, because even though their serious flaws - they do adress these villagers. And these millions of people who have used their democratic right and voted for the government will feel extremely intimadated by the PAD - a bunch of mostly urban based nationalists that have never managed to gather any substantial support under the majority of the Thai population.

Yes, the pro government groups every right to hold meetings when faced with renewed unrest and possibly crippling demonstrations by a group that simply has no chance to work within the system because their lack of popular support.

If the PAD keeps on their game - we are on the way to a real dictatorship - far worse than an authoritarion elected government. But maybe that is what they aspire to install here.

Excellent post. I made a similar comment on TV several days ago about it being premature for the PAD to be back out in the streets and risking a loss of credibility.

However, I don't see this as being a PAD conspiracy. Rather, in my view it is more a case of the PAD missing being in the limelight than anything else. Its an ego play. A chance to once again grab the media's attention. The message, whatever it is, is secondary.

Interesting logic: The group that has already brought the country to a standstill through months of demonstrations, brought down an elected government, has enabled the military to stage a coup a few weeks before already sceduled elections, threatens now to repeat their demonstrations only a few months after a government was elected.

That in a position where the country slowly finds its way back to normalcy even though a very instable economy and slowly returning foreign investors is the real intimidation.

The PAD didn't bring down the country. The army stepped in to prevent a violent clash at the following days's planned PAD assembly and protest at Sanam Luang. They had received intelligence indicating that pro-Thaksin supporters (i.e. the government were preparing to instigate a violent incident at the event which would then enable Thaksin to declare a state of emergency. In fact, he already had his sppech ready and with him in New York should such an event 'happen to occur' - which, of course, was inevitable.

Who here is really out to damage Thailand beyond repair? A government that managed to get elected even though all powers during the military coup have been against its leading party (and that most likely will fall by its inherent weaknesses sooner than later) and at least projects a resemblence of internal stability to the rest of the world, or a group with vocal minority support that can neither accept popular elections nor accept that renewed unrest will do more long term damage to Thailand than the government they are fighting against?

[Well, I wouldn't call 100,000 Bangkokians at their assemblies and marches "a group with vocal minority support" and these were just the ones who turned up. Tens - if not hundreds - of thousands of others agreed with their demands and sentiments with regard to removing Thaksin.

And to say the PAD don't accept popular elections is a totally false allegation. They ceased their activities during the coup period as the army had given a time-line for a free and fair election. This is what the PAD like everyone else wanted. And they accepted the PPP victory. -even though in all but name it appears to be a nominee for Thaksin and TRT.

According to the recently issued PAD statement, the government has disrespected the country by:

Appointing persons with tainted image as cabinet ministers and House Speaker.

Quickly transferring high ranking government officials, particularly the former director general of the Department of Special Investigation, in order to obstruct and interfere with the justice system to help whitewash former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his family from criminal charges.

Removing senior police officers including the police chief to pave the way for Pol Gen Priewphan Damapong, brother of Khunying Potjaman, Mr Thaksin’s wife, to become the new head of the national police bureau in the near future.

Unjustified transferring of the secretary general of the Food and Drug Administration and director general of the Public Relations Department.

Preventing people from receiving accurate news and information by sending signals to interrupt the broadcasts of ASTV, a satellite-based TV station run by a key leader of the PAD and founder of Manager Groups, Sondhi Limthongkul, and,

Preparing to legalise casinos for huge amounts of benefit without caring that it would destroy the country’s culture and morality.

According to the PAD, the government has put into action a master that seeks to "whitewash" all criminal charges against ex-premier Thaksin and his family.

The government intends to provoke unrest, the group claimed, in order to trigger a controversial new national security law passed by the military junta just before it left office last year.

This is not the time to demonstrate against the government, and i truly hope that this time the parliamentary opposition, and the elitist extraparliamentary opposition will not give their support to the PAD anymore. They should wait until (and if) there is a real case for such street demonstrations, and not just fear of the leadership of the PAD for personal disadvantages.

There is already a case for vocal opposition to what's going on. The writing's on the wall. Thaksin will - in the main - get off all charges 'scot free'. This was the whole point of the PAD protests in the first place - to remove Thaksin.

Given the precedence of '05/'06 - the government has a strong case for calling in an emergency and arresting the leadership of the PAD. Which is something that would be very unfortunate, and would lead to even more unrest in a time Thailand simply cannot afford any more political instability than there already is.

The PAD protests were peaceful. The only violence that occured was instigated by pro-Thaksin forces.

QUOTE:" The government intends to provoke unrest, the group claimed, in order to trigger a controversial new national security law passed by the military junta just before it left office last year.

If the PAD prediction comes true, the government will invoke the new National Security Act and take over the armed forces with Thaksin-friendly generals. Then it will dismiss all charges against Mr Thaksin, and cancel all trials."

As long as there is no political party other than TRT/PPP actually going into the villages, works with the villagers to find policies to those social sectors long term benefit - we will only see TRT/PPP get elected, because even though their serious flaws - they do adress these villagers.I agree with you up to here And these millions of people who have used their democratic right and voted for the government will feel extremely intimadated by the PAD - a bunch of mostly urban based nationalists that have never managed to gather any substantial support under the majority of the Thai population.

Maybe. But having said that, the PAD do, indeed, have a right to assemble and protest. Free speech even if thay are as you say a "bunch of mostly urban based nationalists that have never managed to gather any substantial support under the majority of the Thai population."

Yes, the pro government groups every right to hold meetings when faced with renewed unrest and possibly crippling demonstrations by a group that simply has no chance to work within the system because their lack of popular support.

If the PAD keeps on their game - we are on the way to a real dictatorship - far worse than an authoritarion elected government. But maybe that is what they aspire to install here.

In short, all the PAD have ever wanted is the removal of Thaksin from politics, and for due process to occur with regard to his corruption and 'conflict of interest' charges. This now appears to be impossible under the current regime. Hence the calls for renewed protest.

... I made a similar comment on TV several days ago about it being premature for the PAD to be back out in the streets and risking a loss of credibility.

However, I don't see this as being a PAD conspiracy. Rather, in my view it is more a case of the PAD missing being in the limelight than anything else. Its an ego play. A chance to once again grab the media's attention. The message, whatever it is, is secondary.

If I remember correctly PAD leaders have a clear plan what they are going to protest about, and bringing down the government is not on the list. Meddling with Thaskin's court cases is their primary concer, and it's a legitimate and rather pressing subject, and it's not premature in any way to bring it to public view. There are already calls to abolish AEC altogether and there's no gurantee the government won't try that if left unchecked.

Hopefully public scrutiny will make Samak think twice before getting involved with Thaksin in any way.

There are other issues as well - Surapong and others indictment, Matchima, Chart Thai, and even PPP dissolution cases. So far the government behaved with supreme arrogance on these issues. Honeymoon is over, people demand answers.

PAD is not starting street protests, btw. Their first meeting is INSIDE Thammasat university. It's their opponents who are planning to hold a rally at Sanam Luang. Maybe you should ask them what their agenda is. So far their are protesting against protests only.