Thai Baht Against The Gbp

Does anyone have any predictions as to how the pound will do against

the baht this year. I do need to bring some funds from the UK, but I'm prepared

to wait till later in the year if the baht will increase.

Do you think theres a chance of it hitting 70 again?

Many thanks

Edited by Noodles

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone have any predictipn as to how the pound will do against

Many thanks

unfortunately the dog has taken my crystal ball :o

The "big guns" of the Phuket Gazette recently suggested 50 baht per Pound this year and folks scoffed at this whilst I thought it was very probable - today I transfered GBP at 63.16 and the withholding tax has still not been lifted - reports are that it will be lifted soon. I suggest that when it is lifted we will be into the 50's very quickly.

70's to the Pound? - not in this decade and maybe not in the next either.

Does anyone have any predictipn as to how the pound will do against

Many thanks

unfortunately the dog has taken my crystal ball :o

I recomend cats. Damm they took it as well. I think there is a conspiricy - tax PET FOOD!

why will the lifting of 'withholding tax" make the baht go into the 50's.

i don't understand!

rgds

Thailand has two currency exchange rates mechanisms currently, an on shore rate where currency is traded within the country and on offshore rate which involves trades outside the country. The former was created some 18/24 months ago by the imposition of a 30% with holding tax on capital inflows, intended to stem the flow of foreign investment in Thailand. The offshore rate trades the baht at a rate that is about ten per cent higher the rate onshore. Of late the two rates have started to converge somewhat with the onshore rate getting stronger. The new Minister for Finance, he oversees the BOT and he who has never worked in a bank in his life, has said that that he will lift the 30% with holding, probably in March or April.

for the record: there is no withholding "tax"! if you would like to know what's the 30% is all about which MIGHT (only in certain cases) be kept for one year interest free with the BOT use the search function. the details have been explained various times. and drop the word "tax" please. it makes me sick :o

Just put in your wire transfer that the funds are to be used for the purchase of a condo and they don't with hold anything.

no need to mention purchase of a condo. nearly any explanation will do such as: living expenses, buying a car, medical expenses to cure sick buffaloes, beer, booze, good food and bar fines... :o all that only applies to transfers which exceed the value of us-dollars 20,000. it is however recommended that any transfer bears the reference "what for".

for the record: there is no withholding "tax"! if you would like to know what's the 30% is all about which MIGHT (only in certain cases) be kept for one year interest free with the BOT use the search function. the details have been explained various times. and drop the word "tax" please. it makes me sick :o

Yes agreed, it's all in the terminology, oh pedantic one.

Yes agreed, it's all in the terminology, oh pedantic one.

As I been quiet disappointing with the UK sterling lately and the situation only seems to get worst, do you guys thinks its better for me to get paid on Euro instead (especially in the long term)??

I know its hard to predict but as i may have this possibility, the Euro looks more stable to me at the moment.

Am I wrong?

Does anyone have any predictions as to how the pound will do against

Many thanks

Noodles, I would keep an eye on the dollar/baht relationship if I were you. The best estimates that I have seen put the pound around $1.80 vs the dollar before years end, so if the dollar remains stable against the baht or loses a little more then britmavericks estimate might not be far off :o Golman Sachs has been very good at forecasting currency values, they were the ones last summer predicting that the Euro would see $1.45 vs. the dollar before years end(2007),back when everyone else thought that the Euro wouldn't make a sustained move past $1.38! By the GS is the one looking for $1.80 for the pound this year and looking for a $1.32 Euro by years end. Of course if you listen to the goldbugs on thai visa, then the dollar, euro and the pound will all be worthless paper pretty soon (those damm fiat currencies :D ) so I guess it may be a moot point to forecast currency valuations when only gold will have value in the new world:lol:

as the pound to thai baht is now between 58 and 60 is it worth buying u.s. dollars at about 1.95 and then buying baht at 31-32

also does anyone have any views on the possibility of a baht devaluation

On my bank is between 62-63 and not 58, don't know where you get you exchange....

Just put in your wire transfer that the funds are to be used for the purchase of a condo and they don't with hold anything.

no need to mention purchase of a condo. nearly any explanation will do such as: living expenses, buying a car, medical expenses to cure sick buffaloes, beer, booze, good food and bar fines... :o all that only applies to transfers which exceed the value of us-dollars 20,000. it is however recommended that any transfer bears the reference "what for".

Agreed - whenever I bring money in (maximum 25k Sing Dollars at one go) - I always describe it as "for family support" (this is true) - then my bank call me and ask me to confirm that it is "for personal use" (this is also true) - so far, no problems...

CC

as the pound to thai baht is now between 58 and 60 is it worth buying u.s. dollars at about 1.95 and then buying baht at 31-32

On my bank is between 62-63 and not 58, don't know where you get you exchange....

Maybe it,s a U.K.based exchange rate quote.

I was quoted 57 yesterday when i did a comparison to the exchange rate there and what i got for a Pounds Sterling transfer ( 63. 0015 ) T.T of course and not taking the usual minimal bank charge into account

marshbags

Don,t know about devaluation but.....................................................

Unpredictability, political mismanagement ect. ect. equals chaos, this is already starting and will continue to gather pace. :o

Edited by marshbags

Don,t know about devaluation but.....................................................

Unpredictability, political mismanagement ect. ect. equals chaos, this is already starting and will continue to gather pace. :o

Been going on for quite a while now, ever since the Baht was at close to 40,

I read an article today in which it indicated exporters are selling dollars and that is causing the Baht to appreciate. They are selling because the believe the 30% rule will be changed. Will that affect the GBP got me.

But it is very obvious what will happen to the dollar.

I read an article today in which it indicated exporters are selling dollars and that is causing the Baht to appreciate. They are selling because the believe the 30% rule will be changed. Will that affect the GBP got me.

But it is very obvious what will happen to the dollar.

I believe they are selling $ because they believe the $ will continue to slide.

Maybe it,s a U.K.based exchange rate quote.

I was quoted 57 yesterday when i did a comparison to the exchange rate there and what i got for a Pounds Sterling transfer ( 63. 0015 ) T.T of course and not taking the usual minimal bank charge into account

marshbags

Just curious to know why you would TT baht at 57 when you can TT Sterling and get 63?

I remember another thread on the same subject a few months ago. I remember agreeing with another member that 60Bt/1 pound was very probable. I would say we are well on the way, as with 30Bt/US$1

I would say it will definitely see 60Bt but whether it dips under and how far under is anyones guess.

Unfortunately......the pound is going to get buried by the baht.....Thailand has a large current account surplus wich is one reason for the baht appreciation while pound and dollar have significant deficits....

The real thing though as that is already in the price (rate) is that UK and Euro interest Rates are going down to stave off recession...while IMHO there is going to be an inflation problem exploding in Thailand. When that happens the BoT will hike rates and and with that you will get hot money.......ie speculators looking for higher comparative interest. As this can be predicited now thats why they want to get into the baht while rates as good as possible. Rather screws my property plans though :o

I remember another thread on the same subject a few months ago. I remember agreeing with another member that 60Bt/1 pound was very probable. I would say we are well on the way, as with 30Bt/US$1

I would say it will definitely see 60Bt but whether it dips under and how far under is anyones guess.

If we do see 30baht to the dollar, then Britmavericks prediction of where the pound will gravitate to vs the baht will turn out to be prophetic :o