Fork Dropped In Filthy Street, Food Delivered Anyway

Jingthing

OK, I had a teeny tiny moral dilemma yesterday on the filthy streets in front of the filthy beaches of Pattaya (or rather, Jomtien).

I witnessed a young woman delivering a plate of fried prawns walking on the way to a beach customer, most likely a farang based on the demographics of that beach area, and she dropped the fork on the filthy street. Now, this caught my attention. What would she do? Would she do the right thing and go back to the restaurant to get a clean fork? Of course not! Without any pause she swooped up the infected utensil and continued on her merry way to the happy, unsuspecting, customers.

Now we know she did the wrong thing. I did nothing. How wrong was that? Would you do differently? I must say if this was my home country I would have either confronted the waiter and/or warned the eaters. But here I did nothing ... Its just healthier to mind your own business here, don't you think, but I won't think about fried shrimp the same for awhile.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, alot of people don't know this, but if you drop food on the floor for even a second it is compromised and you should toss it out. When you consider the filth on the streets in Pattaya, its almost too horrible to imagine. Now if this was the US and I saw a waiter do that, I would have said, oh no you deeedint, beeeyitchhhh ...

I thought for a second of following the food and warning the eaters. But just for a second. They very well could have blamed me for being the nosy messenger and ruining their snack. And I don't speak Russian.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, I had a teeny tiny moral dilemma yesterday on the filthy streets in front of the filthy beaches of Pattaya (or rather, Jomtien).

I witnessed a young woman delivering a plate of fried prawns walking on the way to a beach customer, most likely a farang based on the demographics of that beach area, and she dropped the fork on the filthy street. Now, this caught my attention. What would she do? Would she do the right thing and go back to the restaurant to get a clean fork? Of course not! Without any pause she swooped up the infected utensil and continued on her merry way to the happy, unsuspecting, customers.

Now we know she did the wrong thing. I did nothing. How wrong was that? Would you do differently? I must say if this was my home country I would have either confronted the waiter and/or warned the eaters. But here I did nothing ... Its just healthier to mind your own business here, don't you think, but I won't think about fried shrimp the same for awhile.

Even in restaurants I have noticed Thai friends giving the forks and spoons a good scrub with any paper provided, I questioned it once and they afirmed that it was the thing to do. Perhaps the girl expected this to be done knowing where the fork came from before it was dropped.

Thanks for the feedback. I am clearly a newbie expat and haven't been here long enough to fully appreciated the big picture. Probably by next year, even those tiny pangs of guilt will be well eradicated.

Edited by Jingthing

I think you have too much free time on your hands.

I also pity you for living in a place you so obviously disdain with its filthy streets and beaches and ignorant, dirty, theiving local population.

I can only wonder why you persist, you obviously desrve much better

I think you have too much free time on your hands.

I also pity you for living in a place you so obviously disdain with its filthy streets and beaches and ignorant, dirty, theiving local population.

I can only wonder why you persist, you obviously desrve much better

I don't rate streets clean enough to lick as high on my list, but clean beaches would be nice. However, I don't know of an area in Thailand as vibrant and interesting as Pattaya that also has clean beaches, so I have made my dirty bed, and am happy to sleep in it. But thanks anyway.

I find it hard to believe that people can worry so much about things like this that they will post about it on the internet

Sounds like a canned line. Why not post some topics yourself rather than get personal about other people's posts?

I'll go with that :o

Even in restaurants I have noticed Thai friends giving the forks and spoons a good scrub with any paper provided, I questioned it once and they afirmed that it was the thing to do. Perhaps the girl expected this to be done knowing where the fork came from before it was dropped.

Very true..every Thai party (like funerals, weddings, etc) I've been to, everyone always wipes the cutlery and glasses before using them. After seeing this done, I always do it automatically now wherever I am in Thailand..obviously for good reason!

I would rather wait to post something interesting or useful rather than just post the first bit of drivel that enters my head :o

OK, if you feel that way. Why are you wasting your time reading and replying to this thread then?

In any event, drivel or not. for me, easily amused me, seeing the eating utensil being dropped onto one of the filthiest street's in the world on the way to an unsuspecting tourist's mouth was indeed a pregnant moment. Some others have thought it interesting enough to comment, so why don't you just get on with your magnificent superior life?

Edited by Jingthing

Clearly you should have given the waitress a good slap. There she was, a 'third world' tart, in 'filthy' Pattaya and she had the temerity to walk past you, rather than crawl. Bitch. I bet she would have made eye contact too if you'd said something. You should teach these natives a lesson, mate. Otherwise, you never know where things will end up.

From what I have seen here in Thailand, nobody uses hot water to wash dishes. Consequently (and according to western health authorities), bacteria is not reduced/destroyed. The recommended water temperature for washing dishes is at least 50 degrees Celsius (it will burn you). In Australia, I used to put the dishes in the sink, fill the sink with hot water & wait until it cooled a little. Even then, I had to use rubber gloves to wash the dishes to avoid getting scalded.

On the other hand, ingesting some bacteria (in small amounts) can be beneficial to the immune system providing you are not immuno deficient.

At the end of the day, I agree with other posters...MYOB (mind your own business). There is only one business you need to take care of first...yours. How can you help anyone if you are "broken"?

I would rather wait to post something interesting or useful rather than just post the first bit of drivel that enters my head :D

OK, if you feel that way. Why are you wasting your time reading and replying to this thread then?

In any event, drivel or not. for me, easily amused me, seeing the eating utensil being dropped onto one of the filthiest street's in the world on the way to an unsuspecting tourist's mouth was indeed a pregnant moment. Some others have thought it interesting enough to comment, so why don't you just get on with your magnificent superior life?

I don't take issue with your post, only the comment that Jomtien may have "one of the filthiest streets in the world".

I think one would likely find more filth in Calcutta, India, any city in China or certain African cities. I have generally found Thailand to be a reasonably clean albeit somewhat polluted country.

Anyone in reasonable health is unlikely to get a disease from a dropped fork. Unsanitary - Yes! Important---No! :o

:o

any one got a similar great story ? Located in Issan, or Phayao maybe ? How about " I found an ant on my plate"

I am 100% convinced that in EVERY country in the world, this kind of "event" happens quite often....As long as waiter/waitress is not busted, why should he/her do the extra effort ?? That's a non event, and Thailand is no different from any other place.....Careless people are everywhere. And bacteries are not selective

Next ????.....

Edited by Who, me ?