Thaksin lands at Suvarnabhumi and taken to court

george

What is the bet that he is out on bail in time for afternoon som tum?

Already out on bail - on the major TV channels now, the office was so interested we turned the TV on for the first time since christmas and turned the channels in!

8 Million bail bond - next court date 12th of March. No details of charges, but theme is abuse of power. Can not leave the country.

Our speculation was that:

a) The deal has already been put in place, and this is just coming through the motions.

( Private meetings held in HK, easier that while he was in Europe.)

B) The 3rd power that he (TS) spoke about in 2006 is very ill and not able fight another battle.

c) So to be ready to take over again TS needs to be here ready and waiting.

I fear things will get worse before they get better.

Edited by Cuban

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe now Thailand can start to go forward after 2 years of time wasting after the coup. The army stepped in becuase, according to them, the Thai people were fed up with the Thaksin government. Then after 2 years of achieiving absolutely NOTHING, the army decided on a date for elections and then...

..well paint me purple and call me Doris! The Thais voted Thaksin's political party straight back in again!!! Surely the Thai people know best what is the better way forward for their country..?? The masses have spoken.

All those expat "experts" on here who jump on the "Thaksin is cr*p" bandwagon, just try to think back to the pre-Thaksin era (if you were here then!). Remember Banharn?? Remember Chuan?? Oh yeah, Mr.Chuan, the man solely responsible for the SE Asia crash of '97.

If you want to go back to the "good old days" then absolutely, Thaksin is indeed cr*p. Personally I would like Thailand to have a leader who can communicate with the rest of the world's powers and move Thailand forwards again.

Just heard on CNN that he was released on 8 million Baht bail and is prohibitied from leaving the country without Supreme Court permission.

Was his diplomatic passport turned-in?

What would prevent him from leaving the country?

Besides I doubt that the judge will denial his request for overseas travel :o

thaksin.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, Transport Minister Santi Prompat and Justice Minister Somchai Wongsawat gathered at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport to welcome former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The three will board Thanksin's plane once it arrives at the airport at 9:45 am to welcome him.

-- The Nation 2008-02-28

Justice Minister to go welcome Thaksin??? This already started as a joke, I just hope he wasn't wearing a t-shirt with Thaksin's face with the phrase 'Free Thaksin'

Have a nice day everyone :o

Police step security at Peninsula Hotel

About 300 police have been deployed to step security around the Peninsula Hotel where former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will stay.

Pol Maj Gen Jakthip Chaijinda, commander of the Special Patrol Division, said the 300 policemen would cooperate with security officers to keep security at the hotel during Thaksin's stay.

Source: The Nation - 28 February 2008

..well paint me purple and call me Doris! The Thais voted Thaksin's political party straight back in again!!! Surely the Thai people know best what is the better way forward for their country..?? The masses have spoken.

It ain't democracy if they bought the votes by dishing out hundred baht bills.

Them's the rules.

Gadz Zeus, 1080 readers on this one topic. Get your tutti-frutti ice cream (somebody should be setting upa booth to get sell some hot cakes with Thaksin's face on 'em).

How soon before his frozen assets get thawed?

Can I put a lien on his chopper and a lean on his daughter? She might want a dirt farmer farang in Phitsonopodunkburiramabamba to balance out her riches. Not likely, eh.

1. Is his $$$$ all taken, or how much did they get from him, only 50 billion?

2. I heard on Thai news he's gonna take a chopper (not 400cc, but the one with rotorblades) to Landmark, can anyone confirm?

Cheers,

Tom

I can confirm that he is not going by helicopter to the Landmark. There is no landing pad. I think if he is going to a hotel it will be the Peninsula.

Chalerm, transport minister, justice minister welcome Thaksin at airport

BANGKOK: -- Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, Transport Minister Santi Prompat and Justice Minister Somchai Wongsawat gathered at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport to welcome former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The three will board Thanksin's plane once it arrives at the airport at 9:45 am to welcome him.

-- The Nation 2008-02-28

I would believe in the justice system too if the Justice Minister was on hand to welcome me! :o

The daughters yes, u mean the cute one or the chubby one? I bought a burger from one of them, when she worked at McD in Siam Centre.

If he cant land his chopper at Landmark, he can always stop by my condo, we have 2 pads. hahahaa.....

Tom

Pantie Pads?

Edited by ChangMaiSausage

Maybe now Thailand can start to go forward after 2 years of time wasting after the coup. The army stepped in becuase, according to them, the Thai people were fed up with the Thaksin government. Then after 2 years of achieiving absolutely NOTHING, the army decided on a date for elections and then...

All those expat "experts" on here who jump on the "Thaksin is cr*p" bandwagon, just try to think back to the pre-Thaksin era (if you were here then!). Remember Banharn?? Remember Chuan?? Oh yeah, Mr.Chuan, the man solely responsible for the SE Asia crash of '97.

If you want to go back to the "good old days" then absolutely, Thaksin is indeed cr*p. Personally I would like Thailand to have a leader who can communicate with the rest of the world's powers and move Thailand forwards again.

no PPP was not elected, PPP bought the election....everyone knows it 200-500 Baht per vote.

And why Mr. Chuan should be respondsible for the 1997 crash should be explained in detail. To my knowlege he was AFTER the crash.

From www.nationmultimedia.com

SECURITY CONCERNS

Thaksin to go to 'safe' hotel

Police urge people not to go to airport for ex-PM's return, but do not expect trouble

Published on February 28, 2008

Deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra booked an entire floor of the riverside Peninsula Bangkok Hotel to ensure his and his family's security, sources said yesterday.

Meanwhile, Thaksin yesterday vowed to steer clear of politics. He said he would "never, ever again" enter politics.

"I've had enough," he told Thai Public Broadcasting Service television while at a Hong Kong shopping mall.

National security sources said Thaksin was worried about his safety. He does not want to return to his home, Baan Chan Song La, in the Charan Sanitwong area.

"The hotel has its own helicopter pad and its security system is among the country's best. If something goes wrong, Thaksin could be quickly taken out," one source said.

The date of Thaksin's departure from the hotel was not revealed.

The Peninsula Hotel is situated on the Thon Buri bank of the Chao Phya River, opposite the Oriental Hotel, in Bangkok's Klong San district.

The family of Deputy Finance Minister Pradit Pataraprasit is a major shareholder of the hotel.

Special Weapons and Tactics personnel were sent to the hotel on Tuesday to check security.

Trusted Thaksin aide Newin Chidchob is leading his former boss's personal security plans and guards, according to a source in the ruling People Power Party. Thaksin might visit his Chiang Mai hometown, the source said.

When in Bangkok, Thaksin wants to get a haircut, a massage and eat noodles, according to a politician who was with him in Hong Kong recently. Measures will be tight at Suvarnabhumi Airport for Thaksin's arrival this morning, too.

About 150 crowd-control police officers will be dispatched to the airport to keep order and prevent any confrontation between pro- and anti-Thaksin forces, according to Metropolitan Police commissioner Lt-General Aswin Kwanmuang.

"I urge supporters and opponents of the former prime minister to follow developments on television at home," he said.

Police stations were instructed to provide security for Thaksin and his entourage as they travel, a source said. Police have stepped up manpower security at Baan Chan Song La.

Thaksin, in the television interview, insisted on his innocence of corruption allegations.

"I am confident I am innocent. I have done nothing wrong. I am ready to prove [it in court]," he said. "Many people think I should return home at this time, as the country returns to democracy."

Thaksin said the first thing he wanted to do upon his return to Thailand was hug his wife and children. Both supporters and detractors are expected to travel to the airport this morning.

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said security would not be compromised for Thaksin, even though he was no longer a political leader.

"Given recent assassinations of people like Pakistan's former premier Benazir Bhutto, we should not take risks," Chalerm said.

He said he would keep his election promise to welcome Thaksin home.

However, Metropolitan Police chief Aswin said police had received no information of any threat on Thaksin's life. "One man is just coming back home to face justice. There's nothing big about this," he said.

Directly after his arrival, Thaksin is expected to apply for temporary release from the Supreme Court. He faces graft charges related to a Ratchadaphisek land deal.

The ex-prime minister will then turn himself in to the Department of Special Investigation over a separate corruption case, Supamas Israpakdi, deputy secretary-general to the prime minister, said yesterday.

He will then pay his respects to the remains of Her Royal Highness Princess Galyani Vadhana, she said.

The Nation

mr democracy himself back in Thailand. Mr Checks and Balances landed this morning. Mr Transparency submitted himself to face charges at the Supreme court.

Also in news, the three EC commissioners who red-carded the speaker of the house and TRT, sorry PPP, member of parliament got bomb threats at their homes this morning. I guess this is the new definition of democracy, transparency and balance.

hahahahahahaha

What a bs! So you can't critice Poetin for when you compare him with Stalin!

Thaksin is corrupt and a human rights violater and should be judged upon that and not be compared with previous government. Each man is responsible for his own actions!

Second bail approved for Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- At noon, Thaksin emerged smiling from the Office of the Attorney General following the completion of his successful bail review. He was granted temporary release on the SC Asset case.

-- The Nation 2008-02-28

They welcome him like some sort of God. :o

I just hope he gets what he deserves not what he thinks he is going to get.

What do you deserve with a pocket full of money, after exchange some banknotes, the judge will kiss his forehad and tell "you are innocent, in the past, present and future".

And the parliament will tell: We give you a pardon for whatever you have never done.

Ah yes and if nothing changes nothing changes. I heard someone describe insanity as: doing the same thing again but expecting a different outcome - TIT.

Chiang Mai ready to welcome Thaksin Friday

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai authorities are in full gear to welcome native son Thaksin Shinawatra who might return to his hometown to greet supporters on Friday.

Thousands of supporters have already started rallying on Thursday ahead of Thaksin's anticipated return.

-- The Nation 2008-02-28

a brave man .

A brave man !! I don't think so. He wouldn't have come back in a million years if he wasn't sure the deck was already stacked in his favour. To think he'd risk a long term in jail by coming back here is foolish thinking in my view.

I agree that he is not a brave man. Hiding behind lies reeks of fear. Only brave people embrace Truth.

hahah, mate, you have no clue. You have a go at the 'experts' but either you don't know your history, or you've convinently forgotten it.

Bought about by reckless monetary and exchange policy encouraged by the previous governments of Barnharn and Chavalit, of which Dear Leader Thaksin was a member, and deputy PM if I recall. He also survived the fiancial crisis - I wonder if it was because he knew ahead of time that the baht was going to be floated?? Nah, he's a too upstanding guy for that.

Chuan came after the crisis already happened. He was the guy who took the political heat for swallowing the tough medicine recommended my the IMF, but as it turns out, changed some of the fundamentals of the Thai economy and gave Thailand a good rate of economic growth that Thaksin inherted in 2001.

Thaksin then spent 2001 to 2006 doing nothing in the economic reformist sense, apart from line his own pockets. The Thai economy started to look a bit shakey, cause no decent and needed microeconomic reform had been undertaken for 5 years.