Family Entertainmnet In Pattaya

jonniebkk

The Underwater World is one of the family attractions in Pattaya. It is a nice little aquarium as things go...a place to while away about 2 hours or so. It is nothing world-class but for families visiting from other LDCs or just want someplace to take the kids, it is nice. However, at least for us poor Americans, at B450 for a foreign/expatriate adult this is about US$ 15 per person. Kids at B250 come out to about $ 8.

For these prices (or less...sometimes much less) one can visit almost any museum or aquarium in the USA. At any of these institutions, one could spend many days before one would have taken it all in. As an example, the new US$ 500 million California Academy of Sciences/Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco, which is due to open this Fall, is talking about entrance fees around $12.

Just my take on the current state of the price of some things in the land of the incredible shrinking value of foreign currencies :o

Most of the world class museums in London are free.

Thailand has little to offer, but most of what there is costs a lot.

Always wondered why tourists went to see Wat's in Bangkok,

just made of mud bricks and plaster. Hardly glorious buildings

in the vein of Angkor.

Naka.

I have 2 daughters age 9 and 10. Weve been living in Pattaya for less than a year now and have found that there is very little entertainment for the kids here. Was thinking about giving them Horse riding lessons but very expensive also. The wife took them to Bangkok last weekend to go Ice skating and indoor climbing. Very cheap day out at about 200baht each for the whole day and they loved it. With all the developement going on in Pattaya its sad to see there are very few entertainment venues.

In Tailand there seems to be a general lack of childrens entertainment options. Pattaya has already a lot more to offer compared to Samui or Phuket.

If somebody's looking to invest money into something, I'm sure there's a better return if you open up a children's orientated facility instead of one more bar (beer).

I agree about underwater world - very expensive for what you get. I went once and will not go back or take any of my family/visitors there.It's just not good value for money.

There are plenty of reasonably priced and free places to take visitors in and around Pattaya, but you do need your own transport.

There have been several threads on this in the past, including places that are suitable for kids.

The Kaeo Keo open zoo, the crocodile farm (million years stone park) and the elephant sanctuary are good for kids. Especially the zoo, which is a very good day out, and you can drive around to each enclosure.

The Bang Saen Institute of Marine Science has a nice Aquarium.

100 Baht entrance fee.

30 Baht for Thai nationals.

Thai driving license should get you in for 30 baht too.

Edited by Maigo6

The Bang Saen Institute of Marine Science has a nice Aquarium.

100 Baht entrance fee.

30 Baht for Thai nationals.

Thai driving license should get you in for 30 baht too.

It does indeed.

In fact there are a few interesting places to go in the Bang Saen area. For starters the beach is much cleaner than in Pattaya. Then there's Kow Samuk, where hundreds of monkeys live - you can drive up and park and feed them and there is also a good view. Then drive onto Ang Sila where they make and sell the stone pestles etc, and also in that area is an incredible Chinese temple which must have cost billions, and is breathtaking. (it's bigger and more ornate than the one near then Buddha hill sculpture, past Jomtien.)

Ang Sila and Bang Saen also have some very good reasonably priced sea food restaurants.

As I said, if you have transport, the places you can go within a day's drive are many and various.

I agree that the crocodile farm (million years stone park) and the elephant sanctuary are good for kids. I also think Nong Nooch and the water park were fun and would be good for the family and kids. I have not been to the zoo yet but it is on my list. I agree that the aquarium is way overpriced but if you can afford it and want to go then do it. If your kids enjoy it then it is worth it. After all you are on vacation. You only live once. Enjoy.