Audio Cassette To Cd Xfer In C.mai

harpman88

Hi all,I just found out that the shop which had been copying my recorded music from cassette to CD is no more. I was totally satisfied with the great,highly professional work this guy did(anybody remember the Butterfly Shop?) ,so now I need a replacement. Any suggestions from the C.Mai residents out there? Thanx much in advance,the Harpman

Hi all,I just found out that the shop which had been copying my recorded music from cassette to CD is no more. I was totally satisfied with the great,highly professional work this guy did(anybody remember the Butterfly Shop?) ,so now I need a replacement. Any suggestions from the C.Mai residents out there? Thanx much in advance,the Harpman

I've been using a shop in Computer Plaza. 2nd floor, third shop in the left from the front steps. He's done quite a few VHS to DVD for me as well as cassettes to CD. Only drawback is that he doesn't quite follow a regular pattern of being open. He's supposed to open at 11:30. That's rare. He's supposed to be finished in a week. That's even more rare. But if you are flexible and patient, he does produce a good finished result. Usually. (Say... I dropped off some tapes last week... I wonder if he's still open...)

Edited by FolkGuitar

I've been using a shop in Computer Plaza. 2nd floor, third shop in the left from the front steps. He's done quite a few VHS to DVD for me as well as cassettes to CD. Only drawback is that he doesn't quite follow a regular pattern of being open. He's supposed to open at 11:30. That's rare. He's supposed to be finished in a week. That's even more rare. But if you are flexible and patient, he does produce a good finished result. Usually. (Say... I dropped off some tapes last week... I wonder if he's still open...)

Hi F.G.,I had used that shop in Computer Plaza once before I found the Butterfly Shop,with the same hassles with them not being open or the guy doing the work not there. I got a PM with some info on a place I didnt know existed and have decided to go with them. Thanx for the reply anyway,the Harpman

Hi F.G.,I had used that shop in Computer Plaza once before I found the Butterfly Shop,with the same hassles with them not being open or the guy doing the work not there. I got a PM with some info on a place I didnt know existed and have decided to go with them. Thanx for the reply anyway,the Harpman

Want to share the info?

I just came back from the shop I use in Computer Plaza.

Surprisingly, he was open! Not surprisingly, he said it would be another three days before my stuff was ready.

This is Thai for 'perhaps next week.' But I'm a flexible fellow. Next week... the week after. Mai pen rai. :o

(Besides, I just put together my own setup to do conversions..... :D )

Edited by FolkGuitar

(Besides, I just put together my own setup to do conversions..... :o )

Oh, do tell, do tell!

And more particularly, please tell, if you know, whether your setup would work equally well for converting the analogue stream from a turntable to digital.

And if not, please tell if you know whether such is possible to put together here in Chiangmai.

And if you do not know, does anyone else? If so, please, do tell, do tell!

Oh, do tell, do tell!

And more particularly, please tell, if you know, whether your setup would work equally well for converting the analogue stream from a turntable to digital.

And if not, please tell if you know whether such is possible to put together here in Chiangmai.

And if you do not know, does anyone else? If so, please, do tell, do tell!

It was actually much easier than I thought. Perhaps it's due to the Sony digital recorder that I bought, but I've been recording now for over a week, 16 hours a day, and the quality is perfect! Everything is automatically saved as an mp3 file. All I have to do is rename the files after they are recorded, and transfer them over to my computer for storage. This too is easy as the recorder has a USB plug and shows up in 'My Computer' as an external drive.

I first experimented with the 'audio out' leads on my CD player going in to the 'mic' jack on the recorder. The recorder has two input settings; mic in and audio in. I've been using the 'audio in' setting with mic sensitivity set to high and recording level set to highest quality stereo. I found that using a double ended jack line plugged into the 'headphone' output actually worked better than the 'audio out' twin leads this going into the audio in selection on the recorder. Much clearer sound quality although I don't know why that is.

Anyway, since I began, I've recorded several days of good blues from the cable TV, many of my unrecorded CD's, and am now in the process of changing all my tape cassettes into mp3 files. That one will take some time as each tape will record as one single file and I'll have to use an mp3 splitter program (available at any computer software shop) to turn each song into its own mp3 file.... if I really need to. Many of my cassettes are 90 minute collections of my favorite cuts from different albums. I'm sure that I won't bother to split those.

For the recordings done from the TV, I start the recorder when I go to bed at night, and turn it off in the morning when I get up. This Sony recorder will run for about 10-14 hours on a single AAA battery, depending upon the brand and style of battery. Lithium batteries last about 13-14 hours of continuous recording while rechargables last about 9-10 hours. Regular alkaline batteries have been lasting about 11-12 hours.

Looking at the wave forms in a studio recording software program, I can't see (or hear) any difference between the files recorded directly from a CD through my computer changed into mp3 format and the files that this little pocket recorder is producing.

I would guess (and this is only a guess) that if your analog turntable is connected to an amp, there will be 'audio out' plugs and 'headphone' plugs available to you. The amp is doing the conversion from analog to digital anyway, isn't it? I really don't know much about audio recording so please don't rely on what I'm doing as the most acoustically correct way. Besides.... I'm deaf as a stone to begin with. Who knows what I actually getting as results? That's why I put the files into the recording software program so I could look at and see the wave forms. I trust my eyes more than my ears. However, so far, I am perfectly content with the results of my recordings, be they CD, cassette tapes, or from the TV. I feel kind of like the blind guy who tries to drive a truck down the street. As far as he's concerned, everything is going just fine.... :o

Edited by FolkGuitar

Oh, do tell, do tell! . . . . .

. . . . . I would guess (and this is only a guess) that if your analog turntable is connected to an amp, there will be 'audio out' plugs and 'headphone' plugs available to you. The amp is doing the conversion from analog to digital anyway, isn't it? . . . . .

Many thanks for your lengthy and helpful reply, FG. Actually, my turntable is (or will be, when I get it up and running again) connected to a pre-amp, not the amp itself, but there certainly are audio out plugs on it. However, no, neither the pre-amp nor the amp does any conversion from analog to digital. But the digital recorder you are using -- and one of which I may now get for myself! -- must be doing that anyway.

. . . . . I really don't know much about audio recording so please don't rely on what I'm doing as the most acoustically correct way. . . . .

Consider your warning sown in already fertile soil. :o

[sNIP] But the digital recorder you are using -- and one of which I may now get for myself! -- must be doing that anyway.
. . . . . I really don't know much about audio recording so please don't rely on what I'm doing as the most acoustically correct way. . . . .

I am more than a little impressed with this recorder. In fact, I think it makes a better sounding recording than my computer with a lot less effort! Then again, my ears respond just as well to a telephone speaker at they do to a set of Bose.... But for ease of recording and conversion, this little number certainly does the job.

There is the drawback of the recording times, both for the batteries and the capacity of the recorder, but once you work that out, there is no problem. At night I record eight hours of blues or jazz, then have just enough battery for a 90 minute cassette tape. I transfer to files to the computer, rename them, change the battery in the recorder and a couple of cassettes before I leave the house for lunch or work. I figure that I should have my entire tape collection recorded and converted into mp3 files by..... oh, I don't know..... July? But I'll have a whole lot of blues and jazz by then too! :o

I am seriously thinking of buying a cheap two-tape deck with auto-reverse just to speed up the process. If anyone has one they want to sell cheaply, please contact me. I don't need a CD player so if you have a boom box with a broken CD player but the tape deck works, that would be fine.

I am more than a little impressed with this recorder. In fact, I think it makes a better sounding recording than my computer with a lot less effort! . . . . .

There is the drawback of the recording times, both for the batteries and the capacity of the recorder, but once you work that out, there is no problem. At night I record eight hours of blues or jazz, then have just enough battery for a 90 minute cassette tape. . . . .

I am surprised that there is no power adapter that lets you run the recorder off A/C instead of battery power.

C'mon folks - easy easy!

"Line out" from cassette deck goes to "audio in" on your desktop computer.

Then go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Sound Recorder (assuming you have windows).

Hit record and make sure the levels are not going into the red. Save file as "your filename here" (the computer is the analogue to digital converter - not the preamp or amplifier...)

Done - saved as a .wav file. Convert to MP3? Lots of programs do that - I use a freebie called CDex.

ISSUES AND PROBLEMS:

1) Notebooks usually only have a mono "mic input" which is about 10mv (1/100 volt) input - can be overloaded easily and will not give best sound quality (and is only mono). You can get external sound-cards for notebooks - I use a semi-pro M-Audio unit. (Hi-end new notebooks have stereo line level (.775 mv) "audio in" connections included these days).

2) "Headphone out" from little portable cassette units don't give the best sound, and can easily overload the "audio in" on most computer sound cards (line level for audio - .775 volts. Audio out of a cassette player can be a few volts - distort distort...). Start with the volume control way down on the cassette player, and the record level way up on the computer.

3) Turntables' cartridges (needles!) are similar to microphones in that they are about 5-10 millivolts output, AND they need special tonal equalization (called RIAA). Solution? Run the TT through a normal stereo amplifier/reciever (assuming it has a "phono input"), and use the "line out" or "tape out" or "record out" from the stereo and put that into your computer "audio in".

If anyone needs, I have a separate RIAA phono pre-amp equalizer here, which I will rent out for the incredible cheap price of "one beer".

Any questions? Ask away - I was a hi-fi techie for years...

Edited by wjmark

C'mon folks - easy easy!

"Line out" from cassette deck goes to "audio in" on your desktop computer.

Then go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Sound Recorder (assuming you have windows).

. . . . .

Any questions? Ask away - I was a hi-fi techie for years...

Brilliant! Questions? OK, two. What alternative if you don't have an "audio in" on your computer? Assuming I have a Mac and no Windows, what do I do instead of "go to Start . . . Sound Recorder"?

I am afraid that I don't know Macs, but I would assume that it must have an audio in. It does have a sound card, doesn't it? ie.: it has an audio out?!?!? Is it a notebook? (Is it more than 50 years old?!??!?!?!)

The "audio in" ("line in") connector should be identical to a headphone connector - a little 3.5mm hole.

Assuming that it indeed does not have any line in, then an external USB sound card should work.

And for software, Audacity is freeware for Mac, Windows Linux that has record functions - but I bet Mac Os does have provisions somewhere!

Sorry, I was a hi-fi techie, not a MAC techie

Rasseru - what area are you in? I am near the Amari Rincome (Huay Keow and Super-Highway)

I am afraid that I don't know Macs, but I would assume that it must have an audio in. It does have a sound card, doesn't it? ie.: it has an audio out?!?!? Is it a notebook? (Is it more than 50 years old?!??!?!?!)

The "audio in" ("line in") connector should be identical to a headphone connector - a little 3.5mm hole.

Definitely no audio in. Yes, it has a sound card and it has a headphone type audio out. It's called a Mac Mini, which a desktop unit, not a notebook, but it is very small and, to that end, uses the same parts as a notebook. It's about two years old.

Assuming that it indeed does not have any line in, then an external USB sound card should work.

I'll check out that possibility, thanks.

And for software, Audacity is freeware for Mac, Windows Linux that has record functions - but I bet Mac Os does have provisions somewhere!

Probably. I can check that out too. I just asked because I thought you might know.

Rasseru - what area are you in? I am near the Amari Rincome (Huay Keow and Super-Highway)

I'm next to Nakohnping Bridge on the Ping River, in the Rimping Condo.

I am more than a little impressed with this recorder. In fact, I think it makes a better sounding recording than my computer with a lot less effort! . . . . .

There is the drawback of the recording times, both for the batteries and the capacity of the recorder, but once you work that out, there is no problem. At night I record eight hours of blues or jazz, then have just enough battery for a 90 minute cassette tape. . . . .

I am surprised that there is no power adapter that lets you run the recorder off A/C instead of battery power.

I was surprised at that myself, until I stopped to consider that this unit was made for short recordings, mostly voice, as a pocket memo recorder rather than a music player. The music side of it seems to be an extra. albeit an extra that I'm taking full advantage of! :o

All very good stuff so far. My notebook only has the mic input but I am very soon off to purchase a newer one with a quality sound card.

While we are discussing recording the contents of cassettes, there are many of us who also have a library VHS tapes with contents too important to lose. Is there some device out there that will allow moving these vids to DVD? I would prefer something that serves other purposes as well so it does not just become another 'box in a drawer' after I download my VHS tapes.

I do already have a quality DVD burner.

. . . there are many of us who also have a library VHS tapes with contents too important to lose. Is there some device out there that will allow moving these vids to DVD? I would prefer something that serves other purposes as well so it does not just become another 'box in a drawer' after I download my VHS tapes.

I did same with a few hundred S-VHS tapes by recording them onto the hard drive of my DVD player (which, obviously, has a record function; not all do) and then transferring them to DVDs. Relatively painless and did a good job, but time consuming, since I had to do it all in real time.

All very good stuff so far. My notebook only has the mic input but I am very soon off to purchase a newer one with a quality sound card.

While we are discussing recording the contents of cassettes, there are many of us who also have a library VHS tapes with contents too important to lose. Is there some device out there that will allow moving these vids to DVD? I would prefer something that serves other purposes as well so it does not just become another 'box in a drawer' after I download my VHS tapes.

If you only have a couple, or a couple dozen, you may wish to have them done for you. In the end you'll spend about the same if you count the amount of time you have to spend doing it. I'm having several Jimi Hendriks VHS tapes converted right now. I bring in about 6 every few weeks. This is the last batch I have to convert. I wish my DVD player or VHS player could have done this, but I wouldn't go out and buy a new one just for the purpose. The shop I take them to is cheap enough and does good quality recordings.

I purchased what was called a VHS converter for my computer, but was never able to get it work correctly. It either made fine DVD in black and white, or garbled color disks. Neither was my intended goal....

By the way, anyone interested in a multi-format VHS player. I have no need for it any longer. It will play five different formats; PAL, NTSC, etc.... If you want it, PM me.

My notebook only has the mic input but I am very soon off to purchase a newer one with a quality sound card.

If it were a PC the classical procedure would be to get a TV-card that goes into a PCI-slot on your mainboard. The TV-card would have inputs corresponding to the outputs from your audio/video equipment as well as an antenna input. Such cards nowadays cost from 1400-2000 Baht, but you could probably get more expensive ones if you wished. Since we're talking laptops you'd probably have to go for a similar card stuffed inside some shiny box you could connect to your laptop/PC via an USB or Firewire joint - and wich you'd have to pay 3-3500 Baht for. Once done with converting you could use the box as an intermediary for watching genuine TV on your laptop.

The process of converting analog media to digital ones (it is a non-issue whether we're talking audio cassettes or video) is - talking amateur requirements - isn't but a matter of connecting the output from the player to the input of the card, play the video/audio (in real time) and have some easily available free software capture the stuff and then have this - or some other - software burn the stuff to a cd/dvd. Job accomplished, and you'll end up with a product that's more handy and maybe of a slightly better sound/video quality as the original - but only, and at most, slightly better.

In short: for someone with requirements, not exceeding the ones mentioned above, the question whether to go DIY or pay someone else to do it, is a matter of the cost mentioned above plus the circumstance that things take real playing time plus that the capturing process requires so much computer resources, that the computer can't be used for much but internet surfing while the capturing/burning process is taking place... Feel free to pm me for discussion of (eventual) non-DIY solutions.