1 Square Meter = 3 Square Feet

So if one were converting the price per SQUARE FOOT to square meter one would take the price per foot and multiply times 3.

So if a condo was listed at 250 per square foot it would equal 750 per square meter...correct?

Not even close.

Think of your floor tiles.

Lets say 1 floor tile is 1'

And for arguments sake lets say 3' = 1m (it doesn't its 1m = 3.28083989501')

Now a square of tiles 1' x 1' would contain 1 tile , but a square of 3 x 3 1' tiles would contain 9 1' tiles.

Get it?

Cheers

Thanks guys...math and geometry was obviously never my strong suit :o

I am working on a post comparing current costs for condos in USA (post bust) with prices in Thailand (pre-bust??). I need this info to get my conversion prices correct.

Edited by jonniebkk

So if one were converting the price per SQUARE FOOT to square meter one would take the price per foot and multiply times 3.

So if a condo was listed at 250 per square foot it would equal 750 per square meter...correct?

If you are selling an apartment to me and you want to use that conversion then you are right and I will save a lot of money!

rubiks_cube_speed.jpg

Imagine that all the tiles on the cube were 1 foot x 1 foot [forget about the depth] 3 feet = approx 1 metre. Taking the bottom of the red side - the overall dimension is 1 foot x 3 feet (or approx 1 metre)= 1 sq ft + 1sq ft + 1 sq ft = 3 sq ft. So not only you will have to have the bottom row but also the middle and top rows so to convert sq ft into sq yds (or approx sq m.) multiply by 9 and not 3!

Go to 'Google' & put into the search box convert 10sq ft into sq m and then click search and it will come up 10 (sq feet) = 0.9290304 sq meters I have just used 10 as an example.

Edited by mr_hippo

A nifty trick to do a quick conversion of measures or currencies when using the Google search engine: simply type the question into the search box. You can write a full sentence like “how much is 1 square metre in square feet?” or simply “1 square metre in square feet” (It works also with American spelling)

post-21260-1204365799_thumb.png

--

Maestro

Thanks again...and the Rubic's Cube a great graphic depiction...I suspect we have some math teachers among us here :o

So if a condo sells for 100 [insert relevant currency unit] per square foot, that would be equal to 900 per square meter...correct?

Approximately...I round it to 1 meter = 3 feet

Johnnybkk, if you think it is correct to round 10.7639104167 off to 9, then your calculation is correct., but it is a highly unusual way of rounding off a number.

--

Maestro

A nifty trick to do a quick conversion of measures or currencies when using the Google search engine: simply type the question into the search box. You can write a full sentence like “how much is 1 square metre in square feet?” or simply “1 square metre in square feet” (It works also with American spelling)

post-21260-1204365799_thumb.png

--

Maestro

Why doesn't that work for me?

Cheers

Percy, are you sure you're using the Google search engine?

Last time I did it with Firefox, this time with Internet Explorer. I works even when I load up www.google.ch

post-21260-1204386285_thumb.png

--

Maestro

1 (square meter) = 10.7639104 square feet

In the first screen shot I had used metre in the question and Google translated it to meter in the result. Can’t blame them, they’re based in the USA. (Litre, on the other hand, doesn’t get translated)

--

Maestro

Johnnybkk, if you think it is correct to round 10.7639104167 off to 9, then your calculation is correct., but it is a highly unusual way of rounding off a number.

Sorry...I wasn't paying attention, of course it should be rounded to 11. Thanks again all.

:o I was cut off by the internet connection....so I'll do this again.

Your problem is that one square meter is over 10 square feet. Here's why:

1 square foot is a square measuring 1 foot on each side.

1 meter is slightly more than 3 feet.

therefore 1 square meter is a square measuring slightly more than 3 feet on each side.

the AREA of that square is slightly more than 3 feet x slightly more than 3 feet.

that makes the AREA of the square about 10 square feet (or just slightly more).

If one meter was exactly 3 feet, then a square meter would be 9 square feet.

the "little bit more" a meter is than 3 feet makes a square meter slightly more than 10 square feet.

Draw it out, you'll see what I mean.

:D

1 (square meter) = 10.7639104 square feet

In the first screen shot I had used metre in the question and Google translated it to meter in the result. Can't blame them, they're based in the USA. (Litre, on the other hand, doesn't get translated)

--

Maestro

Sorry a bit off topic, but why do people use google USA unless there Amarican ?

The content of the Google directory is based on the Open Directory based in Google Ireland = UK/Europe, the problem is so many people use MS and add google from it = the American version.

It is or for me much easier to download the Google UK search engine.

Percy, are you sure you're using the Google search engine?

Last time I did it with Firefox, this time with Internet Explorer. I works even when I load up www.google.ch

post-21260-1204386285_thumb.png

--

Maestro

Yep.

Cheers

The answer is in the search terms.

Maestro searched under "1 square metre in square feet" and Percy "1 square metre in feet". If Percy does it again and inserts a second "square", he'll get the same result as Maestro.

Scouse.

The content of the Google directory is based on the Open Directory based in Google Ireland = UK/Europe, the problem is so many people use MS and add google from it = the American version.

Try searching "1 gallon in pints" on google.co.uk and you'll get the answer in American units.

Scouse.

Try searching "1 gallon in pints" on google.co.uk and you'll get the answer in American units.

Scouse.

:o Strange......... I used cut & paste 1 gallon in pints

Google came up with

<h2 class="r">1 Imperial gallon = 8 Imperial pints</h2> More about calculator.

I am using Firefox 3 version b3 with the English Dictorery

Guest Reimar

the problem is the exact formula! If that isn't ok, the output is wrong.

I just uploaded an Program Named Calc it to the TV Download which do all the work correctly. is justapp. 550 kB in size and it's Freeware.

Cheers.

:o Strange......... I used cut & paste 1 gallon in pints

Google came up with

<h2 class="r">1 Imperial gallon = 8 Imperial pints</h2> More about calculator.

I am using Firefox 3 version b3 with the English Dictorery

Search on www.google.co.uk

Search: 1 gallon in pints

Result: 1 US gallon = 8 US pints

Search: 1 litre in pints

Result: 1 litre = 2.11337641 US pints

Search: 1 litre in UK pints

Result: 1 litre = 1.75975326 Imperial pints

Search: 1 litre in imperial pints:

Result: 1 litre = 1.75975326 Imperial pints

Search: 1 litre in imp. pints

Result: none

Google does not recognise some abbreviations.

post-21260-1204433110_thumb.png post-21260-1204433129_thumb.png post-21260-1204433139_thumb.png post-21260-1204433155_thumb.png

Also, Google won't give me a result for "20 litres in UK gallons and pints" or "70 kg in stones and pounds". They've still got some work to do.

--

Maestro

For normal conversion (not exact) use 10 sq feet per 1 sq meter. So a price of 100 per sq foot would be 1000 per sq meter

I use 11. (which i do in my head). One more thing you had better remember - Thai's count balconies too - so I suppose for foreigners that would be an issue. Get a tape measure - & deduct balconies to compare foreign versus Thai. (In price per meter).