The Dark Side

paul1970

As the theme for the past few posts seems to be re-reviews of some of the places we have covered in the past, I will add a plug for an additional menu item at Chonlada. They make an excellent spaghetti carbonara...creamy but not too milky (problem with many versions in Thailand) and good quality bacon. Portion size is very good and price is right at B 160 (including a roll). This is a real plus for me as this is one of my favorite pasta dishes...I can recommend two places out in the Farside for this dish...Chonlada and Tocino :D

I still have to swing on over to Cafe Uno as it has gotten many good reviews (George I will give you a call this week :o ).

Another thumb-up for the Cafe Uno!

Had dinner their twice, first a traditional british staple, some chicken curry. Huge portion and excellent taste. Then back a couple of days later and tried something more exotic, the Irish stew. Was a bit disappointed at first when I saw the little bit of stew in the bowl...but the bowls are rather large and the portion is definitely sufficient. Taste is outstanding, very rich, also thanks to the guinnes used.

Value for money: 10 out of 10!

• 3 weeks later...
Another thumb-up for the Cafe Uno!

Had dinner their twice, first a traditional british staple, some chicken curry. Huge portion and excellent taste. Then back a couple of days later and tried something more exotic, the Irish stew. Was a bit disappointed at first when I saw the little bit of stew in the bowl...but the bowls are rather large and the portion is definitely sufficient. Taste is outstanding, very rich, also thanks to the guinnes used.

Value for money: 10 out of 10!

excuse me, but where is Cafe Uno located? i would like to give it a try. what's the recommended meal?

thanks.

excuse me, but where is Cafe Uno located?

First you have to get to Soi Kao Noi...do you know where this soi is? If you are driving down Sukhumvit toward Rayong and after passing the Central Road intersection, where you see the first 7-11 on your left...that's Soi Kao Noi. If you reach the 2nd 7-11 near the South Pattaya Road intersection you have gone too far...turn around and try again :o

From Sukkie, drive up Kao Noi for about 1 kilometer and it will be on your left side on a corner. It is maybe 100 meters before the infamous Noi's Bar.

I will try to find the Google map that's on this thread and place a marker where Cafe Uno is located as there have been a couple requests for this information.

dam_n finding that map was hard...but I did find it and added a pin-point for Cafe Uno.

Here is the Google map link again: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...;mid=1230886439

And another new addition to places to eat (in this case snack) on the Farside. There is a new German sausage van (one of those converted VW vans from the 60s) parked adjacent to La Var coffee cafe on Nernplubwan. They are open all day and the cost is B 69 for a sausage. There is nice patio seating at La Var and they sell beer to go with your sausage (La Var that is).

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Somewhere in this thread (or another one) there is a post regarding 'Chonlada's' coffee shop/restaurant on Siam Country Club rd.

Have ordered twice now from the main courses and what excellent food. Well presented, extremely tasteful and the Lady owner speaks great English and tries to cater to your culinary wishes. Price is very reasonable. Restaurant is very clean also. They will also deliver within a reasonable radius at 'no charge'.

I am not affiliated in any way, just think it's worth a plug, as is the the new excellent 'Courtyard' in the same vicinity.

We are getting spoilt for great nosh of every type on the Darkside now (seems to me we are the "enlightened side" actually.

dam_n finding that map was hard...but I did find it and added a pin-point for Cafe Uno.

Here is the Google map link again: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...;mid=1230886439

And another new addition to places to eat (in this case snack) on the Farside. There is a new German sausage van (one of those converted VW vans from the 60s) parked adjacent to La Var coffee cafe on Nernplubwan. They are open all day and the cost is B 69 for a sausage. There is nice patio seating at La Var and they sell beer to go with your sausage (La Var that is).

John, that link took me to a Google map; but it wasn't the "pinned" one. It's just a "dead" map, with no interactive capabilities. Have you tried to use it from the link? Am I missing something? Or can you revise the link to get to the "pinned" map?

John, that link took me to a Google map; but it wasn't the "pinned" one. It's just a "dead" map, with no interactive capabilities. Have you tried to use it from the link? Am I missing something?

George - The link/map works okay on my machine/browser. I have 2 possible solutions for you: (1) Clear/delete your browser's cache/temp internet files. Google maps may use this storage space for the map's functionality and if it's full with other junk, the map won't load/work properly. (2) The other suggestion would be to zoom-in a little bit on the map as the pins won't show up if the map's view elevation is too high.

See if either of these solves the problem.

John

I know that most of us here are familiar with Dao Cafe's pizza; which is, if not the best, among the best in all of Pattaya. But how many of you have tried other items on Derrick's menu? If you haven't, I suggest that you do so.

Today, I went for the Osso Bucco; and enjoyed it very much. I had with a generous serving of pasta; and, at 250 baht, it was a good value, as well as being delicious.

They have lots of good items on the menu; but don't overlook the specials on the white boards hung inside. That's where the Osso Bucco is listed. I've had escargot, a Greek lasagna, and a couple of other items, on past visits.

I know it's difficult to pass up another pizza when you're in there; but try some other items. I think you'll be pleased.

If ever there was reason NOT to go across Sukhumvit - it must have been today - took me ages just to get to Sukhumvit Road to get to Foodland - bring on more venues in East Pattaya is all I can say. By the way, went to Courtyard 2 nights ago and it was closed - so annoying (to me at least when that happens) - carried onto and found somewhere else but even so, so annoying with these hit & miss venues (and thats a rant about IF they are open, NOT the quality of the food or service).

By the way, went to Courtyard 2 nights ago and it was closed - so annoying (to me at least when that happens) - carried onto and found somewhere else but even so, so annoying with these hit & miss venues (and thats a rant about IF they are open, NOT the quality of the food or service).

I completely second that. It's totally unprofessional - a bit like a certain pub/restaurant that couldn't serve me food two times in a row because "the staff were tired" (I heard they all walked out the other day, and even the farang 'manager' has moved on - what a surprise!!). Then the owner confronts me in a bar and accused me of lying about his place , even though, in his own words: "I have no part in managing it, as it is run by my wife"

Maybe the Courtyard closed because they are having an election in Bangkok. They closed during the election for Pattaya Mayor, even though they are located outside Pattaya city and had no need to close.

At the very least they should post a reason for closure - common courtesy to regular patrons.

I know it's difficult to pass up another pizza when you're in there; but try some other items. I think you'll be pleased.

Pass up a Dao pizza...NEVER...I just order a pizza with my main course :o

The steak with pepper sauce is also very good. Same goes for the meatballs. Can't say anythings bad there...and don't forget the "sushi bar" in back :D

By the way, went to Courtyard 2 nights ago and it was closed - so annoying (to me at least when that happens) - carried onto and found somewhere else but even so, so annoying with these hit & miss venues

I completely second that. It's totally unprofessional At the very least they should post a reason for closure - common courtesy to regular patrons.

Agree that there is noting more annoying than making you way to a restaurant and anticipating what you will have and finding the place closed for no obvious reason. At least in the case of the Courtyard, there are the alternatives of RT, Tocino, and Swiss Paradise all under a minute away :o

By the way, went to Courtyard 2 nights ago and it was closed - so annoying (to me at least when that happens) - carried onto and found somewhere else but even so, so annoying with these hit & miss venues

I completely second that. It's totally unprofessional At the very least they should post a reason for closure - common courtesy to regular patrons.

Agree that there is noting more annoying than making you way to a restaurant and anticipating what you will have and finding the place closed for no obvious reason. At least in the case of the Courtyard, there are the alternatives of RT, Tocino, and Swiss Paradise all under a minute away :D

Guys, for "true" regulars, like me, the Courtyard closing was far from a "hit or miss" surprise. They've been telling folks for a couple od weeks that they'd be closed from Jan 1 through Jan 13. The owner, Khun Nongyao, actually PAID the staff for the vacation time. Made for a very happy crew.

They'll re-open on Jan 14; and deserve praise, not criticism, for this very rare (in Thailand) paid vacation for the staff. :D:D

One more note about The Courtyard, I suggest that, if you haven't done so, you take a couple of minutes on your next visit (if they're not swamped with business) to ask to speak with Nongyao. She's really a very nice woman, when you get to know her; as is her husband, Jeffrey (contrary to some reports). She WILL listen to your constructive criticism, and take requests for things not on the menu, as long as she has the ingredients.

John, I understand your difficulty in opting out of the pizza at Dao. :o But I couldn't handle pizza AND another item in the same meal. Just don't have the appetite I did when I was your age! :D

I noticed driving around the resevoir last night that a new Delibean sandwich place is opening - probably about two hundred meters past Khun John's restaurant if your coming from Bangkok and about 200m after Fishermans Rest if your coming from Soi Siam Country Club. Seems a big place compared to that little operation by Horseshoe Point. I think it used to be a Thai restaurant in some kind of what looke dlike a garden but never visited it before it closed down.

I noticed driving around the resevoir last night that a new Delibean sandwich place is opening - probably about two hundred meters past Khun John's restaurant if your coming from Bangkok and about 200m after Fishermans Rest if your coming from Soi Siam Country Club.

I wonder why? Are they closing down the original location because they need a bigger place? It's basically in the same area and so having two in such close proximity doesn't seem viable to me.

In any case, it's good to see they must be doing well and will be around for the long-term :o

I noticed driving around the resevoir last night that a new Delibean sandwich place is opening - probably about two hundred meters past Khun John's restaurant if your coming from Bangkok and about 200m after Fishermans Rest if your coming from Soi Siam Country Club.

I wonder why? Are they closing down the original location because they need a bigger place? It's basically in the same area and so having two in such close proximity doesn't seem viable to me.

In any case, it's good to see they must be doing well and will be around for the long-term :D

It may be, due, in part, to our frequent plugs here, to overcrowding that "phonebooth" they have at the original location. At most, they can squeeze in about 5 or 6 separate customer groups.

Selfishly, I wish they had found a place further east. It's a bit of a drive out there for me; although there's certainly no problem with traffic, as there is to get to Cafe Uno, Rung's, or Chester's. It would have been great if they opened a shop in the new strip that just went up at the corner of Siam CC and Nongprue Road. Instead, we've got a new 7-11. Just what we needed! :o

I saw it again coming the other way today as I went back to BKK - it actually seems to go back a long way and lots of people on site with a concrete pouring truck and what looked like about 15 people working, painting etc. Hopefully it will offer a larger menu than the old store but I did not have time to pop in and ask whats happening at the original store - having said that I was always under the impression they owned the original location but maybe wrong so it seems a strange move unless its just too busy. Would certainly get a lot more passing trade than the old place.

I'm still hunting for good, fresh bagels here on the Darkside; whether as a menu item, or (better!) for sale at a bakery.

The only place I have seen them for sale is at Villa Market, downtown. I avoid driving over there as much as possible.

Anybody know of a place here?

I'm still hunting for good, fresh bagels here on the Darkside; whether as a menu item, or (better!) for sale at a bakery.

George,

The best approximation of a bagel I have found in Patters are the ones made by Au Bon Pain. They have a nice selection (plain, onion, sesame, poppy, and my personal fav. double-cheese jalapeño). they also sell plain or garlic cream-cheese spreads to go with them but the pats are very small and pricey. They deliver anything from their menu to the Farside for a minimum order of around B 150 I believe (can't remember if also a delivery charge). I sometimes sit at my fav. coffee place over here, which doesn't have much food selection, and order something from ABP and have it delivered to me while I'm enjoying my coffee...the living is good in Pattaya :o

The number is: 038-723-931-2

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

I want to happily report some major, and very positive, changes to the menu at The Courtyard. Over their holiday, from Jan 1 - 13, they have added several items to both the western and Thai menus.

The John Dory fish, which had been a "special", is now a standard item. Salmon has been added, as well, for seafood lovers like me. They now have 3 different spaghetti dishes; w/meatballs, ham and mushroom, and seafood. I had the seafood today, and it was all I could do to finish it. Plenty of spaghetti, with a lot of tomato sauce (as I like it), 6 large shrimp, several large pieces of squid, and 2 huge New Zealand mussels. Comes with a small salad (excellent house dressing of olive oil, wine vinegar, and spices); and 2 pieces of garlic bread. Definitely worth the 220 price, IMO. There are other new western items, which I'll leave to you to discover.

There's are new curry items on the Thai food menu, as well as other things; and there's a full page of Thai vegetarian dishes, all cooked in healthy sunflower oil, not palm oil. I brought a couple of those veggie dishes home to my wife today, and she (a SUPER FUSSY eater), gave them a solid rating.

And, by the way, if you haven't tried the breakfast there, you should. I suggest that you order the 1/2 size. The full breakfast is too much for most people to eat. That 1/2 size is only 100 baht, and a great value. (Not early breakfast, however. They open at 11.)

Major upgrade for this steadily improving venue; which is now my #1 here on the Darkside. Not that I'll stop visiting Chonlada, Dao Cafe, Cafe Uno, Deli Bean, Rungthip, Rung's, Chester's, Maneke Pis, or the tiny Chill Bar. They are all good places, and some of them have certain "best in class" items, as most here know. But, with The Courtyard just 1 km from my house, it's definitely now my most frequent lunch stop.

And now, I have found a new "best in class" pizza!

I have been among those who consider the pizza at Dao Cafe as the best available on the Darkside, if not in all of Pattaya. Tonight, I have discovered one that is better, at least for my taste.

It's at the Cafe Uno. The specifics that make it the best for me are that: 1) the pizza dough is hand made, in small batches, by Craig, the owner/chef; 2) the tomato sauce, also home made, is very flavorful, with enough put on the pizza so that you can taste it; 3) the cheese is high quality, and, like the tomato sauce, applied in ample quantity. Those are the basics. I had the "Vendura", which is a veggie, with mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and olives. Those are also in good quantity.

The only negative, at this time, is that Craig can only dedicate the oven to pizza after 6 PM, as he has to use in more for his other menu items during the earlier hours of the day. Hopefully, business will be good enough to allow him to complete his expansion plans soon; at which time he'll add a dedicated pizza oven.

If you haven't tried a pizza from Cafe Uno, I suggest that you drop by some night, and do so. I'll be very interested in whether there are others who agree with my high rating.

Continental Bakery carries bagels, but you have to be quick. They only have a few unless you order in advance the day before, so they're often gone early.

Must agree with Patsfangr that Cafe Uno is by far the best pizza around this area and is in fact the only place I eat pizza now, used to be the Dao was the number one but no more.

The winner for me is the quality of the cheese used, much better than the cheese I've tried on any other pizza in Thailand, the double cheese is to die for.

Haven't been to the courtyard for a while due to the missus cooking a lot at home but it's good to hear they have expanded their menu, sounds like I need to make a visit back their soon.

"P.J. Pool Bar & Restaurant" just next to Pattaya Hill 2, opposite the flashy motorcycle shop, Soi Kao Noi. Had an outstanding lunch there. Good portions, reasonably priced etc. and the draft Tiger is served just right.

I've noticed that place, but never stopped in. I'll have to try it someday.

Has anybody else tried some of the new additions to the menu at 'The Courtyard'? I'd like to know how you guys like the spaghetti options, the salmon, and others there. I really like the spaghetti, with my only criticism being that they cook the pasta a bit more that I like. I'm an al dente guy. Both the seafood and the meatball are excellent, in both flavor and quantity. Salmon is also quite good, but a little expensive, at 350.

I can vouch for PJs ( my local ) !! Good food , friendly staff, nice pool if you have kids to keep amused..........

OOPS! The thought of a bunch of squeeling, shouting kids could keep me away. Sorry, but I don't have kids, and do not appreciate that environment while I'm eating lunch. ... Or at any other time, for that matter.

(Cranky old man!) :o

I can vouch for PJs ( my local ) !! Good food , friendly staff, nice pool if you have kids to keep amused..........

OOPS! The thought of a bunch of squeeling, shouting kids could keep me away. Sorry, but I don't have kids, and do not appreciate that environment while I'm eating lunch. ... Or at any other time, for that matter.

(Cranky old man!) :o

Never saw any screaming kids there…

BTW, the Misses voted the Thai food AAA.

Edited by stupidfalang