The Dark Side

paul1970

There is a new Swiss restaurant in the Swiss Sabai resort in Suk Soi 87. Was there the other day at their official grand opening and they treated us with a four course menu. Very tasty, especially that thin sliced pork with Tuna sauce and the cold cucumber cream soup were excellent.

Also very nice outdoor seating in the Swiss Sabai compound.

Not much new to report here...just another generally positive report for Cafe Uno on Khow Noi. I had my first dinner there tonite and was quite pleased with 2 items and non-plussed with another. As is my wont, I tried the spegetti carbonara as a post on another thread mentioned the pasta being very good. I agree...it was a very nice portion of properly cooked (al dente) noodles with a tasty carbonara sauce...quality bacon chunks were used and the sauce was well reduced and not "milky." It's served with 2 small pieces of garlic bread. At B 160 a very tasty and reasonably priced dish indeed.

Well, that was my starter and for my mains, I ordered from the Indian menu a portion of the Chicken El Jafrizi [sp]. Now, not being British nor having lived in London, I admit that I am not an expert on Indian curries. Mine was served over rice and consisted of large chunks of white meat chicken that was tender and tasty. The sauce, however, was what seemed to be a tomato based one and rather thin and watery...not really what I picture an Indian curry sauce to be from other experiences. While the dish was not bad per se...it really seemed more like a spicy chicken stew than anything Indian.

I also had a side-order of nan bread and this was very good...real Indian style with butter and garlic. At B 75 it's not expensive as the piece is quite large and filling.

To sum it up, I would definitely have the carbonara again but would pass on the Jafrizi. I would probably have an order of the carbonara with the nan on the side. Others have raved about the Jafrizi but it was not my thing. I have had a yellow chicken curry dish (forget name) at Uno and liked that one much better.

The yellow one is 'Chicken Dhansak', John; and I definitely liked that one. I haven't tried the Jafrizi yet. I also recommend the Beef Madras, which I had last week.

Cafe Uno is solidly entrenched on my "regulars" list for lunch. I usually hit there once a week, and rotate through the menu.

Yes that would be Chicken Dhansak which is my favourite Indian food at Uno and gets my thumbsup.

I also recommend the Irish stew at Uno's but you need to be hungry to eat that one.

New coffee cafe on lower Nern Plub Wan. You folks who live down towards Wat Boon are lucky to have a very nice new coffee cafe in your area...the Bhulun Coffee House. It is, logically, located adjacent to the Bhulun Garden Center, located between Rung Tip and the Crossroads Bar intersection. It is a newly built delightful cafe with indoor and outside seating in a Southwest garden setting. The typical selection of coffee drinks and teas are available, along with beer and sodas. There are no food items :) they may have some in the future. The staff are the adult children of the owners of BGC and are very polite. [As an aside, I wish all the ferengs who moan about how rude and dangerous Thais are and Pattaya is becoming could met normal Thais like these instead of the class of Thais who work in sex-districts like Bua Khow downtown...but most will never leave their monger guesthouses and their ee-daum companions.]

The hours are good and early-birds can go at 7 am. They close at 8 pm. There is free wifi. There is no reading material (newspapers or magazines).

On another aside...Pussy Cat bar on NPW appears to have closed. Was driving by today and it looked like they were stripping everything out.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

New coffee cafe on lower Nern Plub Wan. You folks who live down towards Wat Boon are lucky to have a very nice new coffee cafe in your area...the Bhulun Coffee House. It is, logically, located adjacent to the Bhulun Garden Center, located between Rung Tip and the Crossroads Bar intersection. It is a newly built delightful cafe with indoor and outside seating in a Southwest garden setting. The typical selection of coffee drinks and teas are available, along with beer and sodas. There are no food items :) they may have some in the future. The staff are the adult children of the owners of BGC and are very polite. [As an aside, I wish all the ferengs who moan about how rude and dangerous Thais are and Pattaya is becoming could met normal Thais like these instead of the class of Thais who work in sex-districts like Bua Khow downtown...but most will never leave their monger guesthouses and their ee-daum companions.]

The hours are good and early-birds can go at 7 am. They close at 8 pm. There is free wifi. There is no reading material (newspapers or magazines).

On another aside...Pussy Cat bar on NPW appears to have closed. Was driving by today and it looked like they were stripping everything out.

Geez, John, that's practically in my back yard! I haven't even noticed it. Which side of the street is it on? I nearly always pull onto NPW from that very intersection, opposite the Crossroads, and turn left, toward RT. I'll have to stop in some morning, and work on my email there.

New coffee cafe on lower Nern Plub Wan. You folks who live down towards Wat Boon are lucky to have a very nice new coffee cafe in your area...the Bhulun Coffee House. It is, logically, located adjacent to the Bhulun Garden Center, located between Rung Tip and the Crossroads Bar intersection.

Geez, John, that's practically in my back yard! I haven't even noticed it. Which side of the street is it on?

Midway between Crossroads and RT on the left if going towards Suk. (Maybe time to update your prescription :) )

New coffee cafe on lower Nern Plub Wan. You folks who live down towards Wat Boon are lucky to have a very nice new coffee cafe in your area...the Bhulun Coffee House. It is, logically, located adjacent to the Bhulun Garden Center, located between Rung Tip and the Crossroads Bar intersection.

Geez, John, that's practically in my back yard! I haven't even noticed it. Which side of the street is it on?

Midway between Crossroads and RT on the left if going towards Suk. (Maybe time to update your prescription :D )

:D It's actually WAY past time to update my prescription! I haven't had a vision exam since I moved here in 2006! If you know a good, English speaking, optometrist in the area, let me know. (Seriously, I really should do that!)

But I'll blame my failure to see the new shop on my usual target - motorbikes! :D As you know, the drivers on this side of Suk are a unique combination of ineptitude, ignorance, and indiffernce! Helmet law? What helmet law. (I estimate about 30% here wear helmets.) :) Never check oncoming traffic before turning a corner. :D Constantly pull up INSIDE you when you're signalling to turn. :D And you face a constant combination of "road blocking" inexperience drivers; "cowboy" road racers, often on the wrong side of the road; moping salangs with food, drinks, and families loaded ... AARRRRGGGHHHH! :D It's virtually impossible to see what's on the side of the road when you have to drive with your head on a swivel for the damm motorbikes!!

Now, see what you did? I don't need coffee. I NEED A DRINK! :D

Midway between Crossroads and RT on the left if going towards Suk. (Maybe time to update your prescription :P )

:D It's actually WAY past time to update my prescription! I haven't had a vision exam since I moved here in 2006! If you know a good, English speaking, optometrist in the area, let me know. (Seriously, I really should do that!)

But I'll blame my failure to see the new shop on my usual target - motorbikes! :D As you know, the drivers on this side of Suk are a unique combination of ineptitude, ignorance, and indiffernce! Helmet law? What helmet law. (I estimate about 30% here wear helmets.) :) Never check oncoming traffic before turning a corner. :D Constantly pull up INSIDE you when you're signalling to turn. :D And you face a constant combination of "road blocking" inexperience drivers; "cowboy" road racers, often on the wrong side of the road; moping salangs with food, drinks, and families loaded ... AARRRRGGGHHHH! :D It's virtually impossible to see what's on the side of the road when you have to drive with your head on a swivel for the damm motorbikes!!

Now, see what you did? I don't need coffee. I NEED A DRINK! :D

They have beer :D

They have beer :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nice place, I tried the espresso : not impressed .

I had a latte and it was pretty good...it was not as strong as I like but that's just me. I like my coffee pretty strong...I think it's more the coffee blend they are using is medium rather than strong roast. It's not Cafe Trieste in SFO, but for Thailand and Pattaya it was fine.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

• 1 month later...

I see nothing posted in nearly two months. I am curious about the latest information concerning who has GOOD hamburgers on the dark side.

I'm looking for a place that has good fresh buns, US tasting beef with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, etc.

Rather than slog through 36 pages and still not get any current information, can you folks give me some input on this subject.

I spend most of my time up-country but do come down to Pattaya every month or so.

Appreciate any help and information.

noticed an Indian joint opened up across from SP5. anyone been yet? was wondering if it was Amin (Stylishy Tailors) who i thought was working out of Fisherman's. probably not, though it is awfully close to Amin's shop. bueller?

It is the same people used to be at the Fishermans (they are not there any longer), same menu, same quality, good value. Also have a similar place in Soi Buakhow (opposite Nicky's)

Route CC is on Soi Siam CC Road. if you turn up SSCC from Sukhumvit, go about 6-7km, crossing over NernPlubWan/Nongprue intersection (it's the wide open intersection with the new 7-11). continue straight on SSCC for another 1km and you'll find Route CC right after "the bend" on your left hand side. across is Chonlada and hardware store.

RouteCC has some very good burgers, although it is definitely not a "family" place to go for dinner :)

With a couple of friends last night had some excellent burgers at the Terrace. Cheap too.

...and a couple of beers apparently...we've been to the Rendez-vous bar, NOT the Terrace. :D

Burgers were indeed good, Chips (aka French Fries) were top notch and @ 95 Baht great value for money.

Went back last night for more burgers but they were out of burgers..so we settled for a gammon sandwich, also not too shabby!

I had breakfast at Papa David's in Soi Khao Talo. Very good. I had the English but have a wide range of breakfasts from around the world. Service was good the food was good and price was reasonable.

The also have fresh bread, buns, scones, pies and pasties to take away. I enjoyed the scones very much.

noticed an Indian joint opened up across from SP5. anyone been yet? was wondering if it was Amin (Stylishy Tailors) who i thought was working out of Fisherman's. probably not, though it is awfully close to Amin's shop. bueller?

It is the same people used to be at the Fishermans (they are not there any longer), same menu, same quality, good value. Also have a similar place in Soi Buakhow (opposite Nicky's)

So, the Tandoori Garden on Mabprachan lake has closed? A great pity if this is the case - one of my favourite venues for a lunchtime curry and a good evening venue also.

I've seen the Indian place opposite SP5 - not tried it out yet. Looks very small from outside.

DM

I had breakfast at Papa David's in Soi Khao Talo. Very good. I had the English but have a wide range of breakfasts from around the world. Service was good the food was good and price was reasonable.

The also have fresh bread, buns, scones, pies and pasties to take away. I enjoyed the scones very much.

I will vouch for this place too......had the cod, chips and mushy peas (very nice) but too much, could have fed two people. May not be the cheapest place but who cares, you pay for what you get. I will be back there.

I will vouch for this place too......had the cod, chips and mushy peas (very nice) but too much, could have fed two people. May not be the cheapest place but who cares, you pay for what you get. I will be back there.

Strange that.........I have the opposite conversation with most people I know. We would rather have a smaller amount of food (an amount you can eat comfortably) for a lower price. These places that give too much just to keep the prices high are a turn off to me.

RouteCC has some very good burgers, although it is definitely not a "family" place to go for dinner :D

With a couple of friends last night had some excellent burgers at the Terrace. Cheap too.

...and a couple of beers apparently...we've been to the Rendez-vous bar, NOT the Terrace. :D

Burgers were indeed good, Chips (aka French Fries) were top notch and @ 95 Baht great value for money.

Went back last night for more burgers but they were out of burgers..so we settled for a gammon sandwich, also not too shabby!

For those interested, the Rendezvous has a large, open restaurant next to the bar, but with a wall in between, it is out of view of the bar and is suitable for families to dine. They have an extensive menu of Thai and farang food, and the dishes I have tried have all been of excellent quality and very reasonably priced. The owner's wife makes her own English style sausages and they are excellent, as is her standard English breakfast.

As far as the bar goes, it is probably one of the most tastefully decorated/fitted out bars on the Dark side, and the owner has spent a bit extra to give it a slight touch of class, rather than the shabby appearance most of the bars in that area have.

Seems to have loads of girls there too, but I can't vouch for the quality. :)

Over the past few 3 weeks I have had 5 Indian meals from The Fisherman's. Each meal was excellent, both the appetisers and the main course and the value was outstanding.

I tried 3 different starters, onion bhaji, fish tikka and vegetable samosa. I must say the fish (which is something I normally do not like) was fantastic, the other 2 were very good.

For the main meal I have had the Chicken Madras each time. Without fail it was extremely tasty and plentiful; I loved it.

So, not to worry everyone, The Fisherman's Indian restaurant is open and serving great quality and good value meals.

Edited by Nibor

Route CC is on Soi Siam CC Road. if you turn up SSCC from Sukhumvit, go about 6-7km, crossing over NernPlubWan/Nongprue intersection (it's the wide open intersection with the new 7-11). continue straight on SSCC for another 1km and you'll find Route CC right after "the bend" on your left hand side. across is Chonlada and hardware store.

Hey thanks, found it already...not to far from my home :-)

• 1 month later...

Bad news and good news from Chonlada.

The bad news, for us, is that Pook, her husband, Yu, and their baby daughter, Kiwi, will be moving back to Bangkok. So we will be losing one of our few great dining options in this area. The business has been remaining at the break even level. The reason for the move is more family related. Yu's family and friends are all in BKK; and he now has employment there. They also prefer to have Kiwi educated in the higher quality schools in BKK. So, for this great young family, this is good news.

As for the restaurant, Pook owns it. They are seeking someone who wants to rent or lease it. There are a number of options she'll consider, depending upon whether the client wants to continue using it as a restaurant, or has another business in mind. Kitchen equipment, for example, could be sold or included in the rental/lease agreement. Pook would also be willing to help train a staff, if the client does want to operate a restaurant. You couldn't do much better than having this bright, talented, young lady train your staff! They plan to move in January; so the time to act on this, if you choose to do so, is NOW!

If anybody is interested in renting or leasing the place, or if you know anyone who may be interested; you can contact Pook either in person, or via her cell phone. PM or email me for that number; as I obviously won't give it out publicly. I strongly vouch for the business knowledge and integrity of Pook. She is college educated; speaks excellent English, and is one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure to meet in Thailand. You can feel confident in dealing with her.