The Dark Side

paul1970

I tried that Rhung thip restaurant today..

Must say it was delicious!! I had Thai food, and it was very good.

Will try their Falang food soon that's for sure.

Had Fried beef with basil and chili and a somtam and two cokes.. 135 Baht :cheese:

Glad you enjoyed it. My wife and daughter love the Thai food there, as do I.

I have found the only meal not up to standard are their beef hamburgers. I would give that item a miss, if I were you. The farang food is quite well prepared otherwise. I do believe you will find it tasty.

much thanks to the map recommendations. the digital map posted by monty was excellent, shows exactly where is the Swiss Paradise resto that everyone is talking about. didn't realize there are good places to eat in that area.

One of the best ways to get to know the East Pattaya area (and maybe find some new hidden gems) is to just get on your moto or in the car and drive around. Can't get too lost as going in any direction, you will usually eventually circle back to Sukhumvit or hit highway 36 or the connector bypass highway between Sukhumvit and 36 and then easy to find you way back home :o

Had Fried beef with basil and chili and a somtam and two cokes.. 135 Baht :cheese:

I have found the only meal not up to standard are their beef hamburgers. I would give that item a miss, if I were you. The farang food is quite well prepared otherwise. I do believe you will find it tasty.

There were other people that ordered Western food and it looked very tasty..

Maybe will give it a try tonight.

Nothings cooking in my kitchen yet anyway :o

Thanks for the tip.. of Rhung Tip!!

There were other people that ordered Western food and it looked very tasty..

Maybe will give it a try tonight.

Nothings cooking in my kitchen yet anyway :o

Thanks for the tip.. of Rhung Tip!!

Get the 'h" out of there, Jared. ... No, not out of the restaurant. Out of the first word of the name. It's 'Rung Thip', not 'Rhung Tip'. :-)

Chuck is right on regarding the burgers. Don't order those there. Really bad. But, as Chuck also said, most of the western food is at least above average, for Pattaya. I'm also not high on the steak. It rates a below average for me too. The pork, chicken, and fish falang dishes are all fine.

Fish (Norway cod) and chips for me at SURE PARK for lunch tomorrow. I'll get there a few minutes before noon, and have a beer, while I wait to see if any of you guys show up to meet and do a "taste test" with me. I'll wear a black polo and black shorts. Hope to see some of you there. (No, not you, Chuck!) :-)

Fish (Norway cod) and chips for me at SURE PARK for lunch tomorrow. I'll get there a few minutes before noon, and have a beer, while I wait to see if any of you guys show up to meet and do a "taste test" with me. I'll wear a black polo and black shorts. Hope to see some of you there. (No, not you, Chuck!) :-)

Well, it was a disappointment. First, because nobody opted to join me for the "taste test". I was the only customer in the place.

The F&C was also disappointing. The fish was OK - as good as can be expected for frozen fish, even from Norway. The problems were that the fries ... oops! ... chips and the fish were cooked in oil that was not hot enough. That, of course, leaves them soft, rather than crispy, on the outside. The second reason for the disappointment was the price. It's 270 baht. At currrent exchange rates, that's almost $9 (US). Much too much for F&C.

As I was leaving, Sonny, the owner, arrived. I gave him the same report that I just gave to you, and suggested that he consider trying to lower his prices, temporarily, until the exchange rate becomes more reasonable for us falang. I doubt that he'll do so, but that will be his loss. It's at the point now where eating out at anything but a cheap Thai place is becoming a big deal, at least for me. That wasn't so a year ago. I do think that Sonny will speak to his cooks about raising the temp of the oil for frying. He clearly understood my point when I mentioned that.

In any case, if anybody tries the F&C there soon, let us know if the cooks have learned how to crisp them up!

Sorry to read about your disappointing experience...I noted the rather expensive price when you posted the menu link. Like you say, with the incredibley shringing dollar (thank you raving idiot Bush) things are getting more and more expensive for us Americans.

I guess getting a decent F&C is just about hopeless in Patters...maybe just give-up. At one time, the Pig & Whistle did a decent version...I think it used to be like B 350 however and of course, it's not located in East Pattaya.

One way to fight the high prices these days is the Pad Siew dishes at Happy Holiday on Nernplubwan. With pork and lots of veggies (a very good portion and filling lunch) is only B 35 or about US$ 1. One of the best bargains around and great taste too.

Well, it was a disappointment. First, because nobody opted to join me for the "taste test". I was the only customer in the place.

The F&C was also disappointing. The fish was OK - as good as can be expected for frozen fish, even from Norway. The problems were that the fries ... oops! ... chips and the fish were cooked in oil that was not hot enough. That, of course, leaves them soft, rather than crispy, on the outside.

Yup - fry the chips twice - firstly in a medium-hot oil to cook through, then a quick dip in very hot oil to crisp the outside.

Too hot to start with and the outside will be too crisp (burnt) while the inside is scarcely cooked.

What did I say?

Sure Park is OK, but not great.

The salads, the dressings, the veggies.

Now the Norwegian cod as well.

Edit: It might be that we who live on the dark side so desperately want to find some good restos, that we will recommend just about anything. I hope not.

But one example is The Inn on the Lake, which was ratad high up, but turned out to be crap. We went there 3 times, trying to support it, but it did not help.

We tried the tandoori resto the other night, and it was very nice. Only tried a beef curry and naan bread, but very tasty, and we will be back. I must also say that the Peacock is a nice place, especially on a Sunday lunch, for a roast. Nice food, and nice staff. I see someone else do not like it, and that is OK, just goes to show we are different.

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

Sorry to read about your disappointing experience...I noted the rather expensive price when you posted the menu link. Like you say, with the incredibley shringing dollar (thank you raving idiot Bush) things are getting more and more expensive for us Americans.

I guess getting a decent F&C is just about hopeless in Patters...maybe just give-up. At one time, the Pig & Whistle did a decent version...I think it used to be like B 350 however and of course, it's not located in East Pattaya.

One way to fight the high prices these days is the Pad Siew dishes at Happy Holiday on Nernplubwan. With pork and lots of veggies (a very good portion and filling lunch) is only B 35 or about US$ 1. One of the best bargains around and great taste too.

JB

Where exactly is Happy Holiday?

Driving up from Sukhumvit...it's about 1 kilo. It is just past the Esso gas station - on the left-hand side of the road. Prominent green sign so pretty easy to spot...shophouse restaurant on a corner.

Just a note...Rung Thip will be closed for 3 days on 19, 20, & 21st.

I may have cracked it for F&C but unfortunately not on the east side. I tried the F&C at Tropical Berts in the week, there are some none cod and cod versions in the menu. I had cod and the fish was beautiful as was the light crispy beer batter, though the chips where OK not great because again another place that insists on using frozen chips. But I can forgive that for such nice Fish.

Today (Friday) I went back and ordered F&C again without realizing that it's the special on Friday, well the biggest piece of battered fish I have ever seen arrived on my plate and only 180 Baht, obviousley not cod but whatever it was it was a very nice fish and again the batter they use here is prepared perfectly, crisp all over the fish and for the size of the fish that is an acheivment in itself. So for beautifully prepared fish this is the place I just wish they would serve it with real chips cut straight from the potato, I for one would be willing to pay extra for it if they gave the option on the menu.

only 180 Baht,

:o WHAT???????????? Bert cranked up the prices by ten Baht????????????

Considering the high Baht rate, he should rather make the menu up in dollars now...will discuss this with him on my next visit...

Bert used to have a commercial fishing boat in Alaska, so he knows quality fish.

He may well know good fish, however the challenge is to get it supplied consistantly. Unfortunately you need to check every delivery even from "good" supliers.

Bert's Friday special is good value even if he has had to put the price up. The description of a whale on a plate to describe the generous sized portion is apt. I hope he continues to be able to source good quality produce.

'The Courtyard' is open.

I stopped in a couple of days ago, and met the owner/manager, a very nice lady named Nongyao Couch. Her husband is English, and she speaks English very well. The place was empty, and she was sitting at a table, working on the menus.

The menus were originally printed up with several western dinner items (pork chops, lamb chops, etc.). However, she said that they were not going to offer those items initially. They were sticking with simpler western items, such as salads, soups (nice variety of both), sandwiches, nachos, and some fried items, including F&C (at 190 Bt). The Thai menu is somewhat limited, but looked good. And Nongyao indicated that they would prepare things not on the menu, as long as they had the ingredients available. Since I had just finished lunch that day (the F&C disappointment at Sure Park), I didn't eat then.

However, my wife and I went to the Courtyard for lunch today. I had Pad Thai. It was very tasty, and a fair portion for the 90 baht price. (A full dinner plate.) My wife likes to eat light for lunch, and she wanted a rice soup with fish. It wasn't on the menu, but, as promissed, they made it for her. She said that it, too, met her taste test.

My wife also learned (from the very pleasant cook) that they fry with safflower oil, not palm oil. That's a big plus for getting my wife to go back again! :-)

The place is really "high end" on the decor and furnishings inside. It is, of course, air conditioned. But they also have a very nice, still developing open area in the rear. It has a bar, and several small tables which have not been set in place yet. There's a fountain, a couple of small gazebos, a currently empty fish pond, and another enclosed room, not yet open for business, which looks like what we'd call a "lounge", based upon the furniture inside. As I said, it's a very attractive and comfortable place, which seems way over the surrounding street environment.

We intend to go there for dinner one night soon, and try some other items. I may drop in myself for lunch one day before we get to that.

Based upon this very limited experience, the place has my intial recommendation. Give it a shot, and let us know if you agree.

G-

Interesting report...I hope they develop a regular clientile so we have another reason not to have to cross over to the lighter-side :o

From your report, sounds like a fairly limited menu...and the food is going to have to be pretty good to draw the regulars away from Rung Thip!

Did you happen to note if they were open for breakie? And what were their hours and open 7 days?

Closed Mondays, open rest of week 11am to 11pm.

We also went there for lunch yesterday, and I said to g/f: Be prepared for a somewhat disappointing experience, since they have just opened. Yeah right, say that again. Due to the limited western menu, I was dithering between fish and ships (interesting dish, probably why owner works on the menu), and bangers and mash. Settled on the latter, less can go wrong with that than with f&C.

After about 6-7 minutes, we were informed that the western food cook is not there, so no can do... Might have been an idea to inform at ordering time. Since I did not fancy Thai, we cancelled and went to Peacock for a nice Sunday roast and good Thai food.

As for the interior, not at all our style (and g/f is Chinese). A confusion of poor taste and Chinese overdone stuff. The outside area looks promising, and I am sure (I hope) that with some time, it will settle in and find it's niche. For those hoping for a nice cosy English pub: It is not, and will never be. But we shall try it again in a while, since too early to draw any real conclusions.

Edit: Typos and style comment.

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

Since I did not fancy Thai, we cancelled and went to Peacock for a nice Sunday roast and good Thai food.

Apart from my passing reference a few pages ago, this the first mention of the Peacock that I've noticed on this thread.

I haven't been there for over 2 years, but the breakfast used to be OK. My wife didn't think much of the Thai food so I haven't been back.

Maybe be it's improved now. Anyone else have views on the Peacock food?

On the subject of breakfasts - every now And then I feel like a good English fry up, but don't really want to drive all the way to Pattaya.

Any suggestions on the Darkside? for places serving good breakfasts and open before midday?

I'll start the ball rolling:

Peacock, Outback (never tried it, but heard that it is good)

Sorry to be so predictable, but Rung Thip opens at 1000 and serves a normal 2 egg American breakfast for 75 baht (as I recall).

You can also order extra ham, eggs, bacon, toast, etc, for a small nominal fee.

Up 2 you.

Sorry to be so predictable, but Rung Thip opens at 1000 and serves a normal 2 egg American breakfast for 75 baht (as I recall).

You can also order extra ham, eggs, bacon, toast, etc, for a small nominal fee.

Up 2 you.

Yeah, Chuck, it's a decent American breakfast on our side of Suk. But, I have to say that the best American breakfast I've found it "over there". It's at the Bon Cafe HQ, located on Naklua Road. It's on the right side, as you drive toward Naklua from Pattaya Nua. I think it's about 1 km, or a bit more, down from the Dolphin Roundabout.

Really complete breakfast, with 2 eggs, bacon, ham, (what passes here for) sausages, toast, juice, and coffee. I think the price was something like 120 Bt. Great deal, and really good quality food. Wish we had one that good on this side.

By the way, I asked Ta last night about the opening of the restaurant. She said this is now coming up on 5 years; so your 2004 was probably right.

best breakfast bargain is at Canterbury Tales on Soi Chayapoon almost at Soi Bakaou (sp) 2 eggs(cooked to order), 2 pieces english bacon (ham) 1 sausage, fried tomatoes, baked beans, coffee, (1 cup), orange squash, 1 piece of toast with butter and marmalade. total cost B75 served 8am to 8pm.

best breakfast bargain is at Canterbury Tales on Soi Chayapoon almost at Soi Bakaou (sp) 2 eggs(cooked to order), 2 pieces english bacon (ham) 1 sausage, fried tomatoes, baked beans, coffee, (1 cup), orange squash, 1 piece of toast with butter and marmalade. total cost B75 served 8am to 8pm.

Sorry, Bob. I don't want to start any national flame wars here :D , but the thought of baked beans and squash for breakfast makes me, and, I think, most Americans gag! :D

Food is most definitely a cultural thing. There are certain "staples" of just about every nation's food that don't sit well on the palate of other people. The English and American breakfasts have many things in common. But there are a couple of very significant differences.

I'll take some pancakes or waffles in place of those beans and squash, thank you! :o:D

I had Sunday lunch at the Peacock place yesterday, were 7 of us in total and it was a disgrace, 2 of the guys had one mouthful and left it, the beef tasted like it had been cooked the previous Sunday, the portions were kiddies size, and 7 people who won't be going back again.

Sorry, Bob. I don't want to start any national flame wars here :D , but the thought of baked beans and squash for breakfast makes me, and, I think, most Americans gag! :D

Food is most definitely a cultural thing. There are certain "staples" of just about every nation's food that don't sit well on the palate of other people. The English and American breakfasts have many things in common. But there are a couple of very significant differences.

I'll take some pancakes or waffles in place of those beans and squash, thank you! :o:D

Hey Pat,

Orange Squash is not squash, it is a cheap imitation of orange juice, 1 step above tang (liquid not powder). I am American also and don't usually eat beans for breakfast, but put them on my plate and mom taught me to clean the plate. It is more than I can eat, the bigger breakfast (B95) gets 2 pieces of toast, 2 sausages and black pudding so I opt for the smaller one and let my wife eat the toast to save on the waistline. :D

Hey Pat,

Orange Squash is not squash, it is a cheap imitation of orange juice, 1 step above tang (liquid not powder). I am American also and don't usually eat beans for breakfast, but put them on my plate and mom taught me to clean the plate. It is more than I can eat, the bigger breakfast (B95) gets 2 pieces of toast, 2 sausages and black pudding so I opt for the smaller one and let my wife eat the toast to save on the waistline. :D

I have lived in both the UK and America and IMHO the GREAT British Fry up is far superior and a good fry up should include all the following;

Orange Juice (lets get the healthy shit out the way)

1 Fried Egg

2 Bacon

2 Sausages

1 Fried Bread (an absolute must)

Fried Mushrooms

Fried Potato

Baked Beans or tinned tomatoes (someplaces serve both but I think thats pigging out a bit !!!)

Black Pudding (you can take it or leave it personally I leave it bleuah :D )

2 rounds of toast

Large mug of Tea

Now theres not many places in Thailand that can serve up a good replica of that, especially Thai run places with what they try to pass of as sausages, the sausage in an English breakfast must be English style sausages. Probably the 2 best breakfast that resemble the above is Yorkies in Jomtien and the Sportsmans in Soi 13. I have never eaten an English breakfast on the Dark side as to be truthful I don't think there would be anywhere that serves anything resembling the above but I would be quite happy to be corrected.

If in Bangkok the best breakfast I have experienced in Asia IMO is the Irish breakfast at the Dubliner at Washington Square an absolute gut buster.

Bert used to have a commercial fishing boat in Alaska, so he knows quality fish.

He may well know good fish, however the challenge is to get it supplied consistantly. Unfortunately you need to check every delivery even from "good" supliers.

Bert's Friday special is good value even if he has had to put the price up. The description of a whale on a plate to describe the generous sized portion is apt. I hope he continues to be able to source good quality produce.

I think the Friday special may be Pacific Dory as I noticed that the cheaper F&C on the menu was Pacific Dory (which is a nice change from the usual white fish fillet or local fish, it's nice to know what your eating) from Wikipedia

The common name dory (from the Middle English dorre, from the Middle French doree, lit. "gilded one") is shared (officially and colloquially) by members of several different families of large-eyed, silvery, deep-bodied, laterally compressed, and roughly discoid marine fish. As well as resembling each other, dories are also similar in habit: most are deep-sea and demersal. Additionally, many species support commercial fisheries and are considered excellent food fish.

IMO if it is this fish that is used then I do concure with above and that it is indeed excellent fish. Well Done Bert's I say, I do not know if it was 170 B before and it has gone up to 180 and really I don't care as it is excellent value at either price. I will certainly be looking for this fish in the supermarkets for cooking at home, though it may be something that gets picked up at the local fisheries as I can't say I've seen it in the usual places, Foodland etc.

I'm so glad to know that a few of our neighbours are on here !! I thought I was the only one !!!

Dave

Edit:- I live down next to the Market nearest the railway crossing, although I'm currently in the UK.

Edited by davewil