Expat Net Worth

bendix

Net worth  

582 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's been a lot of discussion on expat's retirement needs and financial status recently, so I thought it would be interesting to have a poll to see what the average net worth of expats are. It's not about finding out the relative wealth of each member; I'd expect members to vote without revealing personal financial details. But it might be interesting to build a picture and see where you stand against the average.

By net worth i mean if you cashed in all your assets - house, savings, shares etc.

But, then again, it might totally flop as a poll . .

We'll see . . .

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMHO a farang needs considerably in excess of 40million Baht in income producing assets (and/or a pension that would equate to this kind of sum in terms of investment income) in order to live a comfortable and leisurely lifestyle well into old age, taking advantage of all the pleasures that a tropical country like Thailand has to offer, and not have worry about running out of money, or the effects of hyper inflation.

That is not to say that people cannot survive on much less, and many undoubtedly do so, quite happily, but I wonder how they will feel when they reach their late 80's or even 90's?

Edited by Mobi

Surely you can't be serious in posting this poll. Who's gonna divulge that kind of info on a web forum? I admit people could answer the poll anonymously.

Nice try though.

Your top layer isn't very high though. I mean that's about the price of a semi-detached house in the south of England. I think you could have gone to, say, 140 million Baht.

That is not to say that people cannot survive on much less, and many undoubtedly do so, quite happily, but I wonder how they will feel when they reach their late 80's or even 90's?

If, not when. Most people don't.

We can all live in hope.... :o

So where is the private pension monthly income and the retirement pension monthly and other items not to be divulged.

its no good having a poll if you are only asking about ready money.

next you will be asking how much a month people spend,does that include short time,long time,farang food compared to thai food prices.methinks i wont answer.

Don't really know, myself, though I'd imagine it would be quite low. I have a number of assets back home which are of uncertain but probably considerable value (antiques, collectible thingamajigs), but whose real value would probably vary depending on when and how they were sold (and how much effort I took in selling them). I'm probably in one of the lower ends of your scale; but then again, I've got quite a few years before retirement.

Surely you can't be serious in posting this poll. Who's gonna divulge that kind of info on a web forum? I admit people could answer the poll anonymously.

Nice try though.

Your top layer isn't very high though. I mean that's about the price of a semi-detached house in the south of England. I think you could have gone to, say, 140 million Baht.

Well, people are posting it. It's an anonymous poll. It aint rocket science.

Your top layer isn't very high though. I mean that's about the price of a semi-detached house in the south of England

GBP650k for a semi-detached!! Maybe in London.

I think it is very important to bear in mind when looking at these figures that they represent people in very different life stages. From the retirees who have developed a nest egg that has taken their whole working life to accrue eight the way through to people in their 20's who are still working and have many years of employment left...

If the aim of the OP is to gauge an indication of people's "retirement funds", then the poll is pretty much useless unless age is taken into consideration.

Edited by ashacat

Nice try though.

Well, people are posting it. It's an anonymous poll. It aint rocket science.

Might be interesting to add net worth, and another asking what percentage is in Thailand

I completely don't understand this poll. Worth?

It's a very, very simple calculation - if you take away what you owe (be it mortgages, loans, credit cards whatever) from what you own (property, cash in the bank, shares, whatever) you're left with net worth. I agree it's very simplified and it all depends on age, lifestyle, dependants etc etc but anything more realistic would be too complicated (and probably intrusive) to be practical

Edited by Captain Chaos

Nice try though.

...Ahh c'mon Briggsy...you can tell us....after all TIT....as they say,,,,what about it Briggsy eh got a bit stashed away ave ya ?...ave ya ? :o ....nudge nudge ...wink wink....

IMHO a farang needs considerably in excess of 40million Baht in income producing assets (and/or a pension that would equate to this kind of sum in terms of investment income) in order to live a comfortable and leisurely lifestyle well into old age, taking advantage of all the pleasures that a tropical country like Thailand has to offer, and not have worry about running out of money, or the effects of hyper inflation.

Mobi,

Do you mean a principle of 40 Million Baht? 40 Million Baht = $133,000 USD right?

This amount to produce income?

Mobi,

Do you mean a principle of 40 Million Baht? 40 Million Baht = $133,000 USD right?

take a calculator and try again my friend :o

Mobi,

Pardon my math.

At 30 Baht : 1 USD

1 Million Baht = $30,000 correct?

Therefore 40 Million times $30,000 = 1.2 Million USD. Correct?

Mobi,

Pardon my math.

At 30 Baht : 1 USD

1 Million Baht = $30,000 correct?

Therefore 40 Million times $30,000 = 1.2 Million USD. Correct?

Your original $133000 was correct....if you add a zero at the end :D

Mobi,

i reckon you may be in serious trouble

Unfortunately this poll makes me feel quite poor. I didn't realize just how poor I really am. :o

The good thing about it is that I get along just fine with with my small pension, dividends and Social Security.

I would venture that the happiest people in TV are those that have values at the two extremes of the list. The most unhappy TVers wpuld be those somewhere in the middle. (Said on the premise that some people without money would be here for reasons other than money and those at the top have no money worries. Folks in the mid range would always want more or be worried about how their money would keep them going.)

I'm at the top end of the scale and do worry about whether I can maintain my standard of living "western style" and realize I need at least 50MM+ to achieve it. Not there yet, but will frown and groan along the way until I get there or croak trying. I'd be happier if I adopted a Thai living style, but I won't. But that;'s just me.

Blimey the bar girls will flock to TV members now they know that 30% odd have assets of more than 40 M!!! I think I will have to start wearing my "I am a TV member" T shirt and hope they dont think it means "transvestite"

Chatrooms and anonymous Internet Forums have a way of attracting rich people it seems. :o