Nursery At What Age?

mpdkorat

I went to nursery when I was about 4 1/2 - 5 years old if I remember correctly, that was in the UK. The trend these days seems to be to send the kids much earlier. My son is 2 years and 3 months old, and it has been suggested that it would be beneficial for him to attend now. I'm not really sure about this, as I feel he may be a little too young, and I worry he will loose out on his English skills. My wife does not speak English that well and we basically communicate with each other in Thai. I on the other hand speak exclusively to my son in English.

I visited a very good nursery today with lots of equipment, educational aids and many other facilities. The staff seemed to know what they were doing and two of them spoke English very well. They assured me that they do about 50% of the teaching and activities in English (not convinced about that) but they do have lots of DVD's such as Thomas the Tank Engine and Bob The Builder etc.

The argument is will my son develop faster if he is in a nursery environment mixing and learning from kids his age and slightly older, or will at his young age be better off remaining at home.

I'm a first time father so I would appreciate some advice from others who have been through this.

Edited by mpdkorat

Well if you have the luxury of being with him one on one everyday then he is far far better off with you than in a child care facility. Developmentally, EQ, IQ, language development and cognitive learning he will be streets ahead staying with you.

A huge study in the UK has just been completed (check out the search on BBC news site) and the 2nd biggest faux pas we have made (the 1st is too much testing at an early age) is sending our kids to school too early. The "recommended" age is 7, which is why the UK is now considered at a disadvantage as we start at 4 and 5.

Thailand and expat Life in general encourages "school" at age 2 and 3. There is no evidence that this is beneficial to the child, howveer of course it does provide a great facility to parents who need the time.

You mention equipment and facilities, but as a toddler the most ineresting facilities and equipment are real life objects they can get their hands on!

Play play play and more play is what a child under the age of 5 requires more than any timetable, lesson, educational curriculum.

You can get him interested in early math by using coloured bricks and lego, interest in early language via songs and ryhmes, interest in writing and reading by reading books but also just playing with them - stacking them high, finding a particular pictureetc. The internet is your BEST tool in early learning...go forth and search!

Rule of thumb - ANY child care facility that uses a TV with DVD as part of the timetable avoid at all costs!

We sent our little girl to school at age 2 and she was miserable, so we pulled her out. We sent her back at age 3 and she is as happy as a clam. She wasn't ready before, and if she hadn't been happy now, we would have pulled her til next year.

Friends of ours generally report positive results as well. Evidence from the US suggests that the Head Start program is beneficial to students when they get older.

Some nurseries offer a 3 day per week program, maybe a starting point to see if he's ready.

I went to nursery when I was about 4 1/2 - 5 years old if I remember correctly, that was in the UK. The trend these days seems to be to send the kids much earlier. My son is 2 years and 3 months old, and it has been suggested that it would be beneficial for him to attend now. I'm not really sure about this, as I feel he may be a little too young, and I worry he will loose out on his English skills. My wife does not speak English that well and we basically communicate with each other in Thai. I on the other hand speak exclusively to my son in English.

I visited a very good nursery today with lots of equipment, educational aids and many other facilities. The staff seemed to know what they were doing and two of them spoke English very well. They assured me that they do about 50% of the teaching and activities in English (not convinced about that) but they do have lots of DVD's such as Thomas the Tank Engine and Bob The Builder etc.

The argument is will my son develop faster if he is in a nursery environment mixing and learning from kids his age and slightly older, or will at his young age be better off remaining at home.

I'm a first time father so I would appreciate some advice from others who have been through this.

I am a second time father now aged 63 and our son was about the same age as your son when we sent him to nursery in the village.

The facilities were much the same and sometimes he wanted to take DVD to school both in English and Thai. Last month we moved him to a better one in the next village. The only drawback is that he is up at 6.30 am to catch the 7 ish school bus and he gets home around 4.30.

My wife and I see him off in the morning and I am waiting at the gate for him to come home.

He loves it and enjoys himself there. On Mondays he takes a sleeping mat as all the children in Kindergarten sleep after lunch for a bit and it comes back on Fridays for me to launder.

He has learned a lot and understands English and can speak a little but as there is only me he mostly speaks Thai (much better than me).

Try him out a school for a while and if he is really unhappy you will know.

Mine used to cry when I left him at first but he soon got over it and if there is a big problem the teachers will let you know.

We put our little girl into a Bi-lingual Kindergarten in Chiang Mai 5 months ago when she was 3 years and 2 months old. She only goes for the mornings but the school recommended 5 1/2 days better than 3 full days for continuity. She's thriving and LOVES it but even now she is cranky and tired and ratty in the late afternoons (has NEVER been a napper - not even at 6 months) and we are putting her in again for next term at only 1/2 days. Also might add that most nursery schools do almost nothing after lunch except nap, snack and have a little play (which all the tired, grumpy kids don't get as much out of) and you get to pay some several thousand baht extra for this privilege. If you can manage the 8.30am drop off and a 12.30pm pick up, the half days are a great way to go till they're 4ish or more. I'd wait till your little guy is at least 3 and just spend lots of quality time with him in varying environments. Good luck...!

We put our little girl into a Bi-lingual Kindergarten in Chiang Mai 5 months ago when she was 3 years and 2 months old. She only goes for the mornings but the school recommended 5 1/2 days better than 3 full days for continuity. She's thriving and LOVES it but even now she is cranky and tired and ratty in the late afternoons (has NEVER been a napper - not even at 6 months) and we are putting her in again for next term at only 1/2 days. Also might add that most nursery schools do almost nothing after lunch except nap, snack and have a little play (which all the tired, grumpy kids don't get as much out of) and you get to pay some several thousand baht extra for this privilege. If you can manage the 8.30am drop off and a 12.30pm pick up, the half days are a great way to go till they're 4ish or more. I'd wait till your little guy is at least 3 and just spend lots of quality time with him in varying environments. Good luck...!

I have now decided to wait till he is at least 3 years old before sending him to nursey school. Thanks for all your imput...