Thai Massage And Correct Etiquette?

sunreader

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I asked for a "full massage" and the massage lady sent me to a place with chairs. I stripped naked and waited. She was seriously surprised why I was naked as this was a public space and more people were about to come. She understood "foot massage"... :o

Anyway, happy end in another room.

While oil massage is a more likly precursor to "something extra" than thai massage, it is by no means a cover for sex

services. I know several females who enjoy a oil massage now and then, without me thinking it's anything more than that.

I think it kind of does in Pattaya ...

100bht tip is usually what I give for 2hrs. (prob get ragged for giving that much, but figure least I can give considering what it costs in west for a massage)

Brit, the OP isn't looking for a massage ...

just another tacky thread

100bht tip is usually what I give for 2hrs. (prob get ragged for giving that much, but figure least I can give considering what it costs in west for a massage)

100 baht tip for a 2 hour service than you are not doing yourself or anyone else any favours.

Everyone's a loser all round.

lol .. you are quite the dreamer aren't you lol

edit--- I am not a small guy (neither is Brit) He tips about the same as I do :o more importantly he tips about the same as my partner (Thai) does and we all tip about the same as other locals do :D

Edited by jdinasia

Quite surprised a super moderator offered advice so quickly on how to find sex at a massage establishment. I guess he didn't read the forum rules.

Quite surprised a super moderator offered advice so quickly on how to find sex at a massage establishment. I guess he didn't read the forum rules.

or he didn't read all of the OP .. assuming that people were smart enough to look elsewhere online for sexx forums

Jdinasia, take a read for yourself. Looks to me like he knows what he's talking about. :o

In Thai culture do Thai men go to massage parlours for relief? (Does one establishment cater for traditional and another for 'alternative')

Yes.

Look for the places with a waterfall outside, either real, or simulated with strings of lights.

The services range from traditional to the full exotic..........

You need to specify what you need,

so a command of the Thai language is needed. :D

Edited by burman

I've had literally hundreds of Thai massages from small places to the Marriott hotel and oil is nud_e. I have never asked for nor wanted nor been offered anything extra than that which I intended. Perhaps I choose my places carefully.

Even had salt scrubs and the like in the Madara Spa and the girl holds a towel up in front of her for you to turn around and then places it over you, removing it a bit at a time to massage the particular piece of your body. I've been in with a female and there are two massage tables. The masseuses are female and I have never had an embarassing moment. Sure they have seen it all before.

does anyone know where to get a Japanese Shiatsu massage in BKK..by a professionally trained masseuse in this particular discipline ?

There is a place on Suv Soi 31 that does some sort of Japanese massage, you will have to investigate on your own exactly what kind. :D

but to answer the OP - if the girls have numbers on them or they have a catalog with the girls pics or there is a shower in the room, you are in business.

other places its hit and miss.

If they try to give you a girl, rather than you picking out your girl, then the odd would be against you.

the girl will usually have her mind made up from the beginning on what you are going to get and unless she is new and you can trick her (part of the fun of exploring) , then it will be decided before you even get into the room the end result.

Therefore a quick pre-interview with indirect questions will usually save you an hour of............ :o

To be honest personally I go for a thai massage I go for a masage. Nothing better than having a good 2hr - turn me into a pretzel session. Don't particularly care for oil because it takes 5/6 showers to get it off me. :D (feels good though at the time) Any rate if one was to go for a massage for other reasons other than a massage I'd think there would be better options available than going to a massage parlor? :o

My thoughts exactly, however when i go for a massage and it is the 1 blokes turn in the shop to give a massage i will only let him do a foot massage as the thought of a male giving me a massage isnt a pleasant one.

afraid you will crack a fat and need to reconsider your sexuality?

Edited by t.s

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seemed better than starting a new one.

On massage etiquette (and yes, I only mean massage):

Is it acceptable when you go into a massage place to ask for a specific masseuse? I get the impression that they work on some kind of rotational thing, but at the couple places I typically go, there's a fair number of different people, and frankly, some of them are not very talented. If I find a masseuse who is good, can I ask for her by name when I go in next time, so as to avoid some of the other girls who were not very good? Or is that a big no no? I don't want to insult them but I also don't want to be gambling on whether my 2 hour massage is going to be endured or enjoyed.

It is absolutely fine, and normal, to request a specific masseuse by name.

I usually call ahead to be sure the person I want is available.

In addition to there being a great variation is skill among massueses/masseurs there is an advantage to being a regular customer of the same one as they get to know you and your specific problem. I have a regular massuese both here at home and in Phnom Penh where I often work, both know my tense shoulder problem inside out and exactly what to do.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seemed better than starting a new one.

On massage etiquette (and yes, I only mean massage):

Is it acceptable when you go into a massage place to ask for a specific masseuse? I get the impression that they work on some kind of rotational thing, but at the couple places I typically go, there's a fair number of different people, and frankly, some of them are not very talented. If I find a masseuse who is good, can I ask for her by name when I go in next time, so as to avoid some of the other girls who were not very good? Or is that a big no no? I don't want to insult them but I also don't want to be gambling on whether my 2 hour massage is going to be endured or enjoyed.

Yes of course. You are the customer and you are paying. I do it all the time.

Don't be shy about it.

A one-hour Thai or oil massage is running 200 baht in Koh San now.  Out in Thon Buri, that can drop to 100 baht. 

I usually get a 90 minute oil for 300 baht, then leave a 100 baht tip.

For the thai, you leave on your underwear, although at the better places, they will give you loose pajama-type clothes.  For oil, you get naked (although the better places will give you paper panties--which I am not going to put on, thank you very much.

After you strip down, lay on your stomach and put the extra towel or small sheet over your butt and thighs.

I have had the same masseuse for six years now.  I only had a different one when she was 7 months pregnant and until about a month after she gave birth.  Feel free to ask for anyone in specific.  But you probably won't have to. Once you have had one for a few times, you become her "property" unless you specifically ask for someone different.

I do need to make one point on the "extras" to which you referred.  Whatever happens on Sukhumvhit or like places, well that is there  If you go to Koh San, a hotel spa, or other "normal" places, don't even embarrass yourself by asking.  The women get insulted and angry.  I have been there when a drunk man kept insisting, and the poor woman ended up running out of the shop. And I have been there a few times after someone did that, and all the women were complaining.  Most of the massage parlors in Thailand are just that, massage parlors.  So please treat the masseuses with the same respect and courtesy you would treat anyone else.  

This Threads very topical for me at the moment.

I've been having a 'Traditional massage' recently to pass time while waiting for the Kids activites. Now I've had them before but the wifes suddenly got very stroppy about it. The place looks fine to me but she seems to think they are all the same if you know what I mean. I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt unless its staring me in the face, so who's right.

Interesting someone mentioned an Oil massage may be a front for something else and I have seen it on the menu but never had one. It was next on my list, Surely an Oil massage is an Oil massage right !? . Or am i as Nieve as the day i was born :o

Not noticed any fountains as mentioned above but I wouldn't have noticed them either.

I do need to make one point on the "extras" to which you referred.  Whatever happens on Sukhumvhit or like places, well that is there  If you go to Koh San, a hotel spa, or other "normal" places, don't even embarrass yourself by asking.  The women get insulted and angry.  I have been there when a drunk man kept insisting, and the poor woman ended up running out of the shop. And I have been there a few times after someone did that, and all the women were complaining.  Most of the massage parlors in Thailand are just that, massage parlors.  So please treat the masseuses with the same respect and courtesy you would treat anyone else.  

I have female friends who work in the business in BKK, and have had Thai massages in various cities at various times all around Thailand. I'd suggest, based on that, that Bonobo is oversimplifying a bit. For example, I know of perfectly regular Thai massage shops where in the same shop, some ladies will only do the menu listed items. And, in the same shop, other ladies are more than happy to go beyond the menu for a price. Thailand is rarely a place of absolute black and whites...

Ladies in the business get propositioned all the time, particularly in touristy areas, and if they're not interested, they're perfectly fine to politely tell the customer so. The problems arise, unfortunately, when male customers sometimes refuse to take NO for an answer. But frankly, it's more often a case of a man having to turn down oil massages rather than seek them out. For the massage lady, the oil massage is easier physically to perform and usually shorter in duration as well as more expensive (meaning they get a bit larger pay for a shorter time). That makes it an attractive proposition from the lady and shop's perspective, apart from whatever intentions the customer may have.

Likewise, if the customer happens to seek some type of massage that that particular lady doesn't offer, it's not uncommon for the original lady to then offer to switch/swap with another lady in her shop who can meet the customer's needs. As should be no surprise, within reason, they want the customer to be happy and hopefully return for future visits.

I'd say, in reality, there's usually the whole gamut of massage places on offer in any larger city in Thailand. Some, as mentioned above, are pretty clear about the additional services they provide based on the way they advertise or present their staff. Others are at the opposite end of the spectrum. But indeed, in the middle range, it can sometimes be difficult for a newcomer to tell in which manner the shop (and/or the lady) are operating.

But as long as the customer is polite and respects the masseuse involved, the customer is not likely to be saying anything they haven't heard (or been asked) some time before. Just use common sense, and take your cues from the environment and atmosphere of the shop involved, and the approach your masseuse takes with you.

To what extent should one strip off? (Do you keep your undergarments on?)

Under what circumstances is it inappropriate to ask for extras? (is there a menu of options and costs?)

In Thai culture do Thai men go to massage parlours for relief? (Does one establishment cater for traditional and another for 'alternative')

How common place are masseurs? (What is the legal minimum age from which they can trade?)

you stay here 4 years and dont know? what did you fall out with God and leave the missionary?

also, good to see Mods talking about prostitution.

In Chiang Mai you get a really good Thai massage at the blind place in santitam for 100 baht per hour. Another place I like is the women's prison - yep! 1 hour foot massage for 150 baht but it was good.

A mistake I made once was to ask the lady to make the massage naknak. Apparently, unless you prefix nuat to naknak it means hard and vigorous sex! She was most upset - no hard feelings though.

Edited by Loaded

If you want a real massage there are plenty of non-sex places with well trained staff in the actual art and culture of the tradition.

If you need rub and tug etc...., do not pass Go and proceed directly to Akane.

Good post. The problem with finding a good masseuse is there are so many places around with vastly different levels of expertise. I believe that some local authorities are making half hearted attempts to regulate the industry and accredit properly trained masseuse. My wife is one. She did her training in one of the 2 original massage schools in Pattaya. The place is more like a Drs. surgery, with everyone in white uniforms and strictly supervised students. There is a lot of attention given to understanding muscular function and basic anatomy. Its a school so not really open to the public. But its graduates go to conventional massage chains. So wherever you go ask about the training, as you would of any health professional. If they're genuine they will tell you.

I have female friends who work in the business in BKK, and have had Thai massages in various cities at various times all around Thailand. I'd suggest, based on that, that Bonobo is oversimplifying a bit. For example, I know of perfectly regular Thai massage shops where in the same shop, some ladies will only do the menu listed items. And, in the same shop, other ladies are more than happy to go beyond the menu for a price. Thailand is rarely a place of absolute black and whites...

Ladies in the business get propositioned all the time, particularly in touristy areas, and if they're not interested, they're perfectly fine to politely tell the customer so. The problems arise, unfortunately, when male customers sometimes refuse to take NO for an answer. But frankly, it's more often a case of a man having to turn down oil massages rather than seek them out. For the massage lady, the oil massage is easier physically to perform and usually shorter in duration as well as more expensive (meaning they get a bit larger pay for a shorter time). That makes it an attractive proposition from the lady and shop's perspective, apart from whatever intentions the customer may have.

Likewise, if the customer happens to seek some type of massage that that particular lady doesn't offer, it's not uncommon for the original lady to then offer to switch/swap with another lady in her shop who can meet the customer's needs. As should be no surprise, within reason, they want the customer to be happy and hopefully return for future visits.

I'd say, in reality, there's usually the whole gamut of massage places on offer in any larger city in Thailand. Some, as mentioned above, are pretty clear about the additional services they provide based on the way they advertise or present their staff. Others are at the opposite end of the spectrum. But indeed, in the middle range, it can sometimes be difficult for a newcomer to tell in which manner the shop (and/or the lady) are operating.

But as long as the customer is polite and respects the masseuse involved, the customer is not likely to be saying anything they haven't heard (or been asked) some time before. Just use common sense, and take your cues from the environment and atmosphere of the shop involved, and the approach your masseuse takes with you.

Sounds about right. Other than the clear ends of the spectrum, the in between isn't all one thing or the other. I had an oil massage in Pattaya of all places and nothing extra was offered and I didn't want any. The lady did follow me into the shower to help me wash the oil off which was unusual.

In another case I went for a Thai massage with a girl I was dating. She was too shy to have the massage in the same room so she went to another room. Although I was in the pajama things getting a Thai massage, the masseuse offered extras which I declined. Nothing suggestive about their uniforms or the decor. The room was an open plan with about 8 mats. I just happened to be the only one there at the time.

If there is complete privacy - your hotel room or a VIP room instead of one with a curtain - 99% of the ladies are willing to "take the situation in hand" and it does not matter where the shop is located. With the oil massage, you are unclothed and pretty much half way there anyway. :o

Look for the places with a waterfall outside, either real, or simulated with strings of lights.

Wait, so I know what places to avoid...waterfall, simulated or not, indicates...non-normal massage?

If you are a man and you are getting a nud_e oil massage (no matter what the sex of the masseur, how old, how ugly, and what your preference) if you don't get an erection from the massage, then you are either impotent or the masseur is no good. So there it is, its no wonder it is often just dealt with.

Edited by Jingthing

funny enough i've just come back from a 1 hour Thai massage situated under Central Pink Lao.

Its dark and seedy as its in the underground car park with dark wood panelling and low wattage lamps.

This place seldom has farangs as customers and only has curtains between the booths plus you have to wear the oversize pyjamas

I don't think anything naughty happens here..

BUT i was already lying down with my eyes closed when the masseur started the massage and it wasn't until half way through when HE asked me to turn over then I realised it was a bloke doing the massage ! :D

Nothing kinky just a straight forward Thai massage and no horrible spine twisting at the end which i always dread in fear of being paralysed..

So if you want more than a tummy rub you best check your masseur out first ! :o