Non Imm O Hull Through The Mail

I have seen a couple of threads about obtaining a Non imm O from Hull through the post whilst in another country.

My questions are:

Has anyone done this and if so, which country did u mail the application from?

Is this "legal?"

How long did the whole process take and approximate cost?

Thanks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is certainly not legal is to apply for the visa when you are in Thailand.

The relevant information is here: http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Ab%20%20...tion%20Pack.pdf

Please note that the visa is solely concerned with Thailand and the rules relating to the issue of visas for that country. It is not the responsibility of the Thai consulate to worry about visa and residence rules in any other countries, including the UK. I understand that they will only post your passport back to an address in the United Kingdom.

Out of interest, it is possible to fly back to the UK overnight, get to Hull and get back to the airport for a flight back the same evening. I have reseacrhed this from both Heathrow and Manchester. I would not advise it, but if time is precious of cash limited, this is an option. Perhaps a shower at the airport would be in order ! The cheapest other alternative is to stay one night in the UK, either in Hull or near your airport.

Whilst multi entry non imm visas can be obtained from Oz (and they will confirm this by email) and the flights to Oz are sometimes much cheaper than to the UK, there is usually a waiting period of 2 to 3 days to receive your visa which obviously adds to the cost. A middle east airline to the UK and all other fees can mean a cost of less than Bt60,000 all incusive.

I have seen a couple of threads about obtaining a Non imm O from Hull through the post whilst in another country.

My questions are:

Is this "legal?"

Thanks.

It is not legal. The applicant has to be in the consulates jurisdiction.

My questions are:

Is this "legal?"

Thanks.

Straight answer.

My questions are:

Is this "legal?"

Thanks.

Straight answer.

It was a straight question.

Maybe this might or might not be of help,

I returned to Birmingham UK 24. 12.07 and landed there on 25.12.07 with EK EMIRATES for 38600 baht it was an open ended return flight valid for 12 months. I applied in person at Birmingham consul for a multi entry non-B, the cost was GBP 105. This was 100 quid for the visa and a fiver for turning up at the consul. He didn't even need the S.A.R ( police report ) saying that I will need it for my work permit. The man took my papers and cash then disappeared into an office I went to the toilet on he first floor and he was waiting for me when I got back, I must have been away no more than 5 minutes. Oustanding service.

All the best

Out of interest, it is possible to fly back to the UK overnight, get to Hull and get back to the airport for a flight back the same evening. I have reseacrhed this from both Heathrow and Manchester. I would not advise it, but if time is precious of cash limited, this is an option. Perhaps a shower at the airport would be in order ! The cheapest other alternative is to stay one night in the UK, either in Hull or near your airport.

They don't have showers in Heathrow anymore. I suppose they have them in exective lounges but a hotel in Hull would be cheaper.

Hull is about the most user friendly Thai Consulate in any first world country to deal with.

They have the 'bar' set extremely low in handing out Multi-Entry Non-O Visas. "Visiting friends in thailand" is a valid reason for the granting of a years Non-O Multi. I believe the only 'real' rules which are followed are; the applicant can't be in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" when applying and the postmark must originate from the UK.

Too many people I know have FedEx'd their passports to friends in the UK, who in turn have posted it to Hull, gotten a years Non-O visa and had it FedEx'd right back to them while staying in neighboring S/E Asian countries. It probably does not follow the spirit of the law. However, in each case the people were allowed entry and not one was questioned at the thai border about why they had a thai visa issued from England when they were in Cambodia, or the Philippines.

There is no telling how long Hull will remain as 'user friendly' as they are now. My advice is; "get 'em while you can".

Too many people I know have FedEx'd their passports to friends in the UK, who in turn have posted it to Hull, gotten a years Non-O visa and had it FedEx'd right back to them while staying in neighboring S/E Asian countries. It probably does not follow the spirit of the law. However, in each case the people were allowed entry and not one was questioned at the thai border about why they had a thai visa issued from England when they were in Cambodia, or the Philippines.

That's a bad idea because if you were ever in a situation where your passport was thoroughly checked - as part of a "crackdown" for example or if you had to deal with police for whatever reason - then you could find yourself deported and blacklisted. It's probably cheaper to get a return ticket to the UK and spend the night in Hull than spend days or weeks hanging around in the Philippines, sending your passport and waiting for it to arrive.

Edited by edwardandtubs

What is certainly not legal is to apply for the visa when you are in Thailand.

The relevant information is here: http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Ab%20%20...tion%20Pack.pdf

Please note that the visa is solely concerned with Thailand and the rules relating to the issue of visas for that country. It is not the responsibility of the Thai consulate to worry about visa and residence rules in any other countries, including the UK. I understand that they will only post your passport back to an address in the United Kingdom.

Whilst multi entry non imm visas can be obtained from Oz (and they will confirm this by email) and the flights to Oz are sometimes much cheaper than to the UK, there is usually a waiting period of 2 to 3 days to receive your visa which obviously adds to the cost. A middle east airline to the UK and all other fees can mean a cost of less than Bt60,000 all incusive.

18 months ago it took me an hour to get a multi-b in Perth (would have been less time but I got there at lunch)

In no matter what situation you find yourself in, there will always be people who abuse and cheat the system. It's human nature. :o

<b>But when you start doing it with Thai Immigration authorities...........</b>

PS I am off to Hull in a few months!!

I agree 100% with the above poster.

People will always try to cheat or abuse a system. It's human nature. :o

But when you try to do it to the Thai Immigration authorities....

Time will come when action may be taken against the Hull consul/consulate with regards to the issuance of Non Immigrant visas, and the ones who suffer will be EVERYONE; genuine cases and chancers alike.

Used by many, spoiled by a few.

Although I find Thai Visa useful I also find it succumbs to a more negative collective ego. Thus there are many "Cant do" people who take up residency for whatever reason. If I listened to tham then my Life for the past 6 years would have been impossible from my visa status, to my homes, to my lifestyle, to my income to just about everything if I had asked for and taken advice.

Basically. Do nothing ilegal! But do not listen 100% to the opinions you are given. Go find out for yourself. Phone the Hull consulate and get 1st hand advice (I did) and then proceed logically.

Gather information then use it wisely - which is to say only use it for further investigation.

I did not return to the UK for my visa. My reasoning was I am a UK passport holder but also a PR (permanent resdient) of Singapore, yet the Singapore Thai embassy would not give me a multi-O and said it had to be ISSUED from UK. I called the UK consulate and they advised me topost it.

For the wonderful poster who stated that the people who wouldnt pay for an airfare to the UK dont deserve to be in Thailand, its NOT about the money. I havent been to the UK for 6 years, am resident of another country so why should I have tomake that journey (with young kids in tow I might add).

Good luck.xx

In no matter what situation you find yourself in, there will always be people who abuse and cheat the system. It's human nature. :D

<b>But when you start doing it with Thai Immigration authorities...........</b>

PS I am off to Hull in a few months!!

What am I missing? :o

Time will come when action may be taken against the Hull consul/consulate with regards to the issuance of Non Immigrant visas, and the ones who suffer will be EVERYONE; genuine cases and chancers alike.

When they pull the plug on Hull, it will not be because a few people are mailing their visa application from another country to the UK and then having them sent to the Hull consulate. It will be because of its easy requirements for giving out a Multi O.

Why are people attacking Hull as though it is going to be closed imminently? If they are happy to issue Visas rather than applying more stringent measures as so many other Thai Embassies do, what's the problem? Why do people have problems with the Hull Consulate? As far as I am concerned from the many reports I have read and the positive experiences I have had with them, they provide a clear, open process for applying and granting visas. Kudos to them!

Usually people are posting on Thai Visa about how they have to jump through hoops just to get a visa! Different intrepretations by different staff depending on nationality, what documents you have, where you apply etc etc...

Good on Hull I say for enabling people to apply correctly for a visa and stay here legitimately.

On the subject of Hull, I am considering the retirement option of staying in LOS and read the following on the Hull web site....

"So that the applicant is able to satisfy Thai Immigration that they can meet the financial requirement and be granted retirement status they must visit the British Embassy in Bangkok in person together with full documentary evidence to support their financial position including pension, etc. Only the original documents will be accepted. The applicant must also show their Birth Certificate."

My question is, is it necessary to bring along your birth cert? Havnt seen this mentioned anywhere before so glad I saw this prior to leaving the UK.

There is also talk about 'Police Clearance Cert' and 'Police Access Report'. Has any retiree from the UK tried to obtain these?

On the subject of Hull, I am considering the retirement option of staying in LOS and read the following on the Hull web site....

"So that the applicant is able to satisfy Thai Immigration that they can meet the financial requirement and be granted retirement status they must visit the British Embassy in Bangkok in person together with full documentary evidence to support their financial position including pension, etc. Only the original documents will be accepted. The applicant must also show their Birth Certificate."

My question is, is it necessary to bring along your birth cert? Havnt seen this mentioned anywhere before so glad I saw this prior to leaving the UK.

There is also talk about 'Police Clearance Cert' and 'Police Access Report'. Has any retiree from the UK tried to obtain these?

Most of the Information regarding Retirement on the Hull web site is wrong.

If you are going to apply in Thailand you do not need Police Clearance, Medical Certificate or Birth Certificate.

You enter Thailand with a Non O Visa. (from Hull) Go to any Immigration Office and you can extend it for a year. You will need a letter from the UK Embassy stating your pension to be at least 65,000 Baht a month OR a letter from a Thai bank stating that you have at least 800,000 Baht deposit.

If you are going to apply in Thailand you do not need Police Clearance, Medical Certificate or Birth Certificate.

You enter Thailand with a Non O Visa. (from Hull) Go to any Immigration Office and you can extend it for a year. You will need a letter from the UK Embassy stating your pension to be at least 65,000 Baht a month OR a letter from a Thai bank stating that you have at least 800,000 Baht deposit.

Thanks.

I understand you can mix the financial requirement. For example a pension income of 30000 pm (360000 pa) together with 440000 on deposit = 800000 total.

Is that correct?

Why are people attacking Hull as though it is going to be closed imminently? If they are happy to issue Visas rather than applying more stringent measures as so many other Thai Embassies do, what's the problem? Why do people have problems with the Hull Consulate? As far as I am concerned from the many reports I have read and the positive experiences I have had with them, they provide a clear, open process for applying and granting visas. Kudos to them!

Usually people are posting on Thai Visa about how they have to jump through hoops just to get a visa! Different intrepretations by different staff depending on nationality, what documents you have, where you apply etc etc...

Good on Hull I say for enabling people to apply correctly for a visa and stay here legitimately.

It is because they are known for being very easy to get a visa and not requiring much in the way of documentation.

It would be the same as if an honorary consulate for the US in Pattaya decided that they were just going to give a tourist visa to Thai citizens and anyone that mailed in their application from within Thailand, and the only requirement they had was that they could sign their name. No interviews, no requirements for documentation at all.

How long do you think the US government would allow this to happen? How long before they would either crack down on the consulate and tell them that they need to follow the rules or close it?

Thanks.

I understand you can mix the financial requirement. For example a pension income of 30000 pm (360000 pa) together with 440000 on deposit = 800000 total.

Is that correct?

Yes, one or the other, or a combination of the two.

Hang on!!

Lite Beer: you say If you are going to apply in Thailand you do not need Police Clearance..... I presume you are talking about an O/A (retirement visa extension)

but Dr Pat Pong says: The police clearance certificate is ONLY a feature required of ....... applicants of Non Immigrant O-A visa's

Although I have a few years to go before I hit the big 50 and get an O/A visa, I am keeping abreast of things (as the actress said to the bishop).

Anyone?!!

Hang on!!

Lite Beer: you say If you are going to apply in Thailand you do not need Police Clearance..... I presume you are talking about an O/A (retirement visa extension)

but Dr Pat Pong says: The police clearance certificate is ONLY a feature required of ....... applicants of Non Immigrant O-A visa's

Although I have a few years to go before I hit the big 50 and get an O/A visa, I am keeping abreast of things (as the actress said to the bishop).

Anyone?!!

Litebeer is talking about an extension of stay on a non-o based on retirement, this is completely different from the non o-a, and alot more straightforward imho.

I think Hull do follow the rules, and do so in a sensible manner. As stated earlier if you sent your passport directly to them from overseas you probably would not get the visa. If it is sent from within the UK it is not their responsibility to check where you are.

For people to say they are giving out visas to all and sundry, and against the rules, is a surefire way to stop them giving non-o's to us legit expats who make the annual pilgrimage to get a new visa. I personally think they are doing a great job, and are probably one of the best Thai consulates in the world, so please stop berating them.

So two ways, Get the non-OA visa, give them a police report and stay for a year and do a border run and stay for second year, or get the non-O, no police report, stay for 90 days, and get an extension for one year based on retirement during your stay, again no police report needed.

One of the advantages of the non-OA would be that you do not have to have 800K in a Thai bank or the 65K in pension required if you extend a non-O in Thailand.

I'm not berating Hull; just scared of the wee well running dry for people who actually apply when in the UK!!

I'm off there in August.

Sorry, not directed at you, but previous posters, should have clarified that as I was replying to your post.

I am scared about them stopping issuing them too as I have 15 years before I can get the retirement extension, that's why I was urging other posters to try and tone it down a little, as we don't know who reads this forum.

If they did stop issuing non-o's I could always go down the marriage route, but would hate to be in a position where I felt I had to get married just to remain in the country.

There seems to be a big gap in visa availability for unmarried under 50's, which the non-o fits perfectly, I don't know why the rest of the world makes them so difficult to obtain.