Darkside Rentals?

mfthai

I've been offered a brand new never occupied studio condo with kitchen on the darkside (east of sukhumvit) by a farang mate who is in construction for 7k/month + utilities. I've never lived on the darkside and have been reliably informed there are entire houses for near this amount with 2 beds/2 baths! I was astounded. As I'm single, I don't require much space but I also like to know my options so I've turned to you.

I feel having a responsible hands-on farang landlord as my neighbor is invaluable as everywhere I've ever lived under Thai management, something happens where the Thai management is indifferent and/or AWOL when needed.

Any thoughts please?

Hard to say if the condo is a good deal without knowing its location, size , amenities etc.............is it just a studio with built in kitchen at one end?

Townhouses can be had for 8k-10k a month (2bed/2bath)............bungalows (240sqm land size) 3bed /2 bath for 18k-20k................i/m thinking of the Soi Khao Noi area, Chock Chai houses etc.

After that the skies the limit obviously.

I/m just off Soi Khao Noi but don't rent..............there are quite a few houses for rent on the estate i am on, but no townhouses on the estate.

Thank you for your replies. I have driven down the streets of many townhouses and many appear very old from the outside. Also, there's one family so close to another that it must feel like you're living together. To be honest, I am happy living in Thai but I don't want the Thais too close to me nor do I wish to be dependent on Thais for repairs/maintenance. I simply don't trust nor have faith in them to service my home as needed.

Thank you for your replies. I have driven down the streets of many townhouses and many appear very old from the outside. Also, there's one family so close to another that it must feel like you're living together. To be honest, I am happy living in Thai but I don't want the Thais too close to me nor do I wish to be dependent on Thais for repairs/maintenance. I simply don't trust nor have faith in them to service my home as needed.

Since you are asking for advice here's my two cents worth.

I have lived on one of those Thai "townhouses" as you have mentioned and it was a miserable experience. Sharing a thin wall is a nightmare. At 8 A.M. you are awoken to the sound of the days food being pounded. Then you go into another room for coffee and you hear the kid next door wailing. If you try and escape to your patio / car port the stench of stagnant water will get to you.

Since you state that you have driven down the streets I am going to assume that you have a car and or motor cyle which is probably the number one requirement for living on the darkside.

The only problem with the "house" rental is the utilities can eat you alive but on the other hand I cannot see a Studio Condo on the darkside as being viable. If you are going to get a studio then why not something in town, closer to the action?

The only problem with the "house" rental is the utilities can eat you alive but on the other hand I cannot see a Studio Condo on the darkside as being viable. If you are going to get a studio then why not something in town, closer to the action?

That's it. I don't really see the point of a large home for a single anyway. We'll see how it goes. :o

Until recently, we rented a bungalow in Pattaya Land & House. It was a 3 bed/2 bath house, with a small garden. 14,000 per month for a very nice house. There must be lots and lots of places to rent in this area (the dark side seems to be settling down as the name, fine with me) due to the excessive building.

Good luck in your house-hunt!

Edit: Typo plus addition: Some friends rented a brand new two storey house in Siam Place (on Soi Siam Country Club) for 28,000

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

Is it just me, or this an astonishing attitude?

TH

...utilities can eat you alive...

...why not something in town, closer to the action?

I live in a 3 BR 2 BA detached home...monthly water bill is B 85 and electric is B 400-600. Not exactly being eaten alive :o

Most of us live on the Dark Side to GET AWAY from the "action." :D

TH

Its not just you. I thought it very weird too.

Likes living in Thai but puhhhhhhhleassssseee no Thai,s near me.

TH

Its not just you. I thought it very weird too.

Likes living in Thai but puhhhhhhhleassssseee no Thai,s near me.

I read it somewhat different, it is rather this ultimate nearness to your neighbours that also puts me off. Most villages have so little land around the house that you virtually live in your neighbour's living room.

Anyways, folks, you got the unique chance becoming raro's neighbour! Only one can have this honour! Apply now as long as stock lasts!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1872956

Anyways, folks, you got the unique chance becoming raro's neighbour! Only one can have this honour! Apply now as long as stock lasts!

Why only one ?

What if a group of us want to get together and rent it as a TV Party Pad, where local, out-of-towners and vacationing TV members could stay, party, sleep and do whatever it is they would want to do (most of them I think prefer to knit and crochet, gripe about the neighbours and watch old re-runs of UK comedy shows) :o

Hmmm, if 10 members got together, for 18,000 baht a piece they could have use of the place for 5 weeks each. That's about 514 baht a night, with breakfast at Raro's every morning ! :D

Why only one ?

What if a group of us want to get together and rent it as a TV Party Pad, where local, out-of-towners and vacationing TV members could stay, party, sleep and do whatever it is they would want to do (most of them I think prefer to knit and crochet, gripe about the neighbours and watch old re-runs of UK comedy shows) :o

Hmmm, if 10 members got together, for 18,000 baht a piece they could have use of the place for 5 weeks each. That's about 514 baht a night, with breakfast at Raro's every morning ! :D

excellent idea....you were hanging out with the time share gilrs on beach road lately? :D