Immigration Clarifies Cash Requirement Rule

Continued from this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17186

Immigration clarifies cash requirement rule

Immigration checkpoints nationwide are free to enforce minimum currency requirements on foreigners entering Thailand at their own discretion, a top Immigration official confirmed on Friday.

Commenting on the posting of notices at several Immigration checkpoints in the north of Thailand, Pol Col Chalermpong Vadhanasukha, Deputy Superintendent of Immigration Division 3, in Bangkok, said, “[The rule] has been in effect since May 8, 2000, when it was signed into law by the then-Interior Minister, Banyat Bantadtan,” he said.

The notices in the North warn that the regulation will be enforced from Friday (October 1), and specify the following minimum amounts in cash, or equivalent, to be brought in by foreigners, according to type of visa:

• 30-day “on arrival” visa: 10,000 baht (20,000 baht for families traveling together);

• 60 day tourist visa or non-immigrant visa: 20,000 baht (40,000 baht per family);

Children under 12 are exempted from the requirement.

Col Chalermpong said, “It’s an old law, but not every Immigration checkpoint enforces it strictly … It is up to each office how it enforces this regulation.

“Real tourists do not have to worry about this, but people who repeatedly enter Thailand on 30-day or 60-day visas will come under scrutiny,” he added.

Asked if bank statements or ATM receipts would be accepted, Col Chalermpong said that this, too, would be up to the discretion of each checkpoint.

He added, however, that any officer who refused to accept valid traveler’s checks as proof of financial status would be liable to prosecution.

Pol Col Sa’ngob Sun-udorn, Superintendent of Mae Sai Immigration, said that his office was simply following ministerial regulations in enforcing the rule.

“Mae Sai Immigration was criticized by the Chiang Rai Governor, who asked us why there are are so many strange cases of people stamping in and out of Thailand on tourist visas – some for as long as 15 years. What are [such people] still doing in Chiang Rai?

“We have to enforce this rule strictly in such cases, and we will begin to do so on October 1,” he confirmed.

However, Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of Phuket Provincial Immigration Office (PPIO) told the Gazette, “We have not strictly enforced this regulation because [doing so] would cause long queues and we would be criticized.”

He added, however, that PPIO officers would not rule out using the regulation in cases involving foreigners staying in the country for a long time on a string of tourist visas.

Pol Col Chawalit Busayarat, Superintendent of Ranong Immigration, has a similiar view of how the rules will be applied. “We do not enforce this regulation on all foreigners. We mainly check for people on Immigration’s blacklist,” he said.

“We also check foreigners staying on tourist visas, who apply repeatedly for extensions to stay. If they continue applying for extensions, then we send their documents to Bangkok to be checked.

“Most of these people are Europeans and Americans. They keep applying because they have Thai wives and families here to support,” Col Chawalit added.

--Phuket Gazette 2004-09-27

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is refreshing clarity. As I have been doing 30 day runs to Poi Pet, next time I will make sure I have 10,000 Bhat in my pocket. It sounds like that will assure me of re-entry.

In the unlikely event I should I be robbed in the process, it is a survivable sum to lose, and replaceable at that. Gee, do you think a robber would take my ATM card and passport too? Hmmmm.... There are a lot of police and officials standing around, so I would be surprised at such an altercation in broad daylight.

I do watch my pockets during the rigamarole, as there are a lot of very needy people suffering, particularly on the Cambodian side.

Thanks once again for the terrific information service created by thaivisa. I am sure to tell my friends about this forum at every opportunity.

quote: He added, however, that any officer who refused to accept valid traveler’s checks as proof of financial status would be liable to prosecution.

I would suppose that this means if you keep a few hundred US dollars in TC that this would suffice for the crossings.

As I know there are mini buses wth their logos "visa run" ,going to borders with up to eight person .This means 80.000 Bht per Minibus, a good target for robbers. It does not have to happen at the border, it can happen on the way form/to border. I feel this is very dangerous.

Am I alone with my worries??

“We also check foreigners staying on tourist visas,

“Most of these people are Europeans and Americans. They keep applying because they have Thai wives and families here to support,” Col Chawalit added.

--Phuket Gazette 2004-09-27

And we all appreciate that in a normal civil society we would extend the hand of friendship and make available the opportunity,particulary in appreciation of their family status,to be able to live in their adopted country without fear or hindrance and be free to settle in harmony with their Thai kinsman for as long as they so wished and on an equal and fraternal basis. :D

Did he say that....i am sure he said that didnt he??.......

PS ...not having a go at imm.all of the ones i have met /know have been above reproach :o

As I know there are mini buses wth their logos "visa run" ,going to borders with up to eight person .This means 80.000 Bht per Minibus, a good target for robbers. It does not have to happen at the border, it can happen on the way form/to border. I feel this is very dangerous.

Am I alone with my worries??

Come to think of it, now you've got me worried. The two times that I've done a 90-day run to get my passport stamped in Mae Sai, I used one of those silver vans. At one stop north from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai, there were 4 or 5 of the same vans at the same rest stop. And some folks need to carry 20,000 rather than 10,000.

I was going to go in one of those vans on October 9 or 10, but they would be a very obvious target for "van-jackers." Maybe I'll ride all the way up and back in one day on my bike (ouch). Can I park it safely just to the left of the bridge in Mae Sai?

I got done on the way to Had Lek on the Trat side about three years ago, when I was new and err... staying on Koh Chang. It was my first visa run, and the border had I believe only recently been opened. Took a tourist minibus from Trat to the border, with two nuns and a mother and child. The bus driver supposedly went to piss and as the bus idled, two camb. workers came in threateningly with a knife. They only took my stuff (passport, cash, cheques and a nice pic of my exgirlfriend), and left the other passengers alone. When the driver came back I tried to tell him what happened, with much futility.

The imm. people at the border were extremely helpful though; Lunch at the checkpoint with them, then a lieutenant gave me a ride in his own car back to Trat. He got an internet shop to let me use a PC to cancel my cards and cheques, and then he gave me 2000 baht so I could take care of everything for a few days.

I paid him back five days later when all was sorted, had lunch with them again and I had to laugh, cause they charged me five days overstay (with receipt) despite it all.

Ever since then I´ve been more positive about Thais, and less about their khmer neighbours.

Proof that it can happen on this side of the border, and reason for me to have never taken one of them ´visa run´´ buses again. Loads used to pass through Trat from Pattaya too... Rolling atms if you ask me.

Edited by kayo

I got done on the way to Had Lek on the Trat side about three years ago, when I was new and working on Koh Chang. It was my first visa run, and the border had I believe only recently been opened. Took a tourist minibus from Trat to the border, with two nuns and a mother and child. The bus driver supposedly went to piss and as the bus idled, two camb. workers came in threateningly with a knife. They only took my stuff (passport, cash, cheques and a nice pic of my exgirlfriend), and left the other passengers alone. When the driver came back I tried to tell him what happened, with much futility.

The imm. people at the border were extremely helpful though; Lunch at the checkpoint with them, then a lieutenant gave me a ride in his own car back to Trat. He got an internet shop to let me use a PC to cancel my cards and cheques, and then he gave me 2000 baht so I could take care of everything for a few days.

I paid him back five days later when all was sorted, had lunch with them again and I had to laugh, cause they charged me five days overstay (with receipt) despite it all.

Ever since then I´ve been more positive about Thais, and less about their khmer neighbours.

Proof that it can happen on this side of the border, and reason for me to have never taken one of them ´visa run´´ buses again. Loads used to pass through Trat from Pattaya too... Rolling atms if you ask me.

Pass your story to The Nation - I'm sure they'll print it because of the positive light on the Imm Police, but in printing it, it might wake up someone in High Office as to the risk they are putting us all into.

Thanks for this clarifiation ,George. Although it is slightly disconcerting to be wandering around with 10,000 bht on my person whilst going,and coming back,from the usual border crossings.

Come on guys, this is rediculous! You all want to stay here in Thailand but dont want (or have maybe) to walk around with 10,000 baht?? ######, you all talk like this is $10,000. Look, this is ONLY $250 If you wer ein your own countries, would you not have this amount in your pocket, especially if you were going out of the country for some reason. Lets get this in to perspective, we all choose to live here and we all must have money to stay, this is the same all over the world. If we dont have money in our pockets we starve, have no where to live, rely on others for everything or die, this is the plain and simple truth of the matter.

Let me ask you guys this, If a Thai went to your country, they get to the immigration post and, after giving their passport, they are asked how long they are staying in the country and for the reason that they are travelling to the country (this is mainly the question asked when entering the US). If they then ask the Thai, "ok, you are requesting leave to enter the country for a period of 30 days, how much money do you have to support yourself"? Do you think that $250 is sufficient for them to show the immigration officer for this period of time? that is a definite NO!!

Every country you enter you must have money to support yourself, the same way anyone and everyoine has to have money to support themselves in a foreign country. In my opinion, if you guys dont have $250 in your pockets then you should stay in your own countries and not want to stay in any one elses country.

I for one make sure that both I and my (Thai) Wife have at least this amount of money in our pockets at all times, not for immigration reasons, just for common sense. What if you want to buy something? Do you not have to go out of the house with the money in your pockets?

Honestly, you guys want everything given to you on a plate and want to go to other countries and for them to conform to your own wishes and likes/dislikes.

Some of you are just Unbelievable!!!

Falcon

Thanks for this clarifiation ,George. Although it is slightly disconcerting to be wandering around with 10,000 bht on my person whilst going,and coming back,from the usual border crossings.

Come on guys, this is rediculous! You all want to stay here in Thailand but dont want (or have maybe) to walk around with 10,000 baht?? ######, you all talk like this is $10,000. Look, this is ONLY $250 If you wer ein your own countries, would you not have this amount in your pocket, especially if you were going out of the country for some reason. Lets get this in to perspective, we all choose to live here and we all must have money to stay, this is the same all over the world. If we dont have money in our pockets we starve, have no where to live, rely on others for everything or die, this is the plain and simple truth of the matter.

Let me ask you guys this, If a Thai went to your country, they get to the immigration post and, after giving their passport, they are asked how long they are staying in the country and for the reason that they are travelling to the country (this is mainly the question asked when entering the US). If they then ask the Thai, "ok, you are requesting leave to enter the country for a period of 30 days, how much money do you have to support yourself"? Do you think that $250 is sufficient for them to show the immigration officer for this period of time? that is a definite NO!!

Every country you enter you must have money to support yourself, the same way anyone and everyoine has to have money to support themselves in a foreign country. In my opinion, if you guys dont have $250 in your pockets then you should stay in your own countries and not want to stay in any one elses country.

I for one make sure that both I and my (Thai) Wife have at least this amount of money in our pockets at all times, not for immigration reasons, just for common sense. What if you want to buy something? Do you not have to go out of the house with the money in your pockets?

Honestly, you guys want everything given to you on a plate and want to go to other countries and for them to conform to your own wishes and likes/dislikes.

Falcon

Falcon

$250 in your pockets......yes nig noy....but 2 years income for your average Khmer nice bandit (with even nicer AK) which for the average Brit-Yank plumber on hols would be the same as give or take the odd rial about.... what £80k-$120k greenies.

Its all relative of course but nice dosh if you can get it...easily :o

A couple of years the going rate for taking somebody "out" in Phnom Penh was around $100 and I dont mean for dinner :D

Falcon,

Although you have a valid point in comparing what is required of Thai or other foriegn visitors to our respective countries, to what is being asked of us, the economies of the countries are vastly different, as are the border crossings. 10,000 baht is about two months average wage in Thailand, whereas the US$ or UK£ equivalent of that is a lot more-using that comparison puts this regulation into much greater perspective in terms of the risk people face of being robbed, and potentially harmed. Would you honestly walk around with two months wages in your pocket, and particularly if you were going to be in a potentially risky area? The main problem with this regulation, as many have already pointed out, is that you are not allowed (at Mae Sai anyway) to show other evidence of your ability to support yourself. I entered the USA some years ago and was rightly questioned on my ability to support myself, but on presentation of a credit card I was allowed in. The other aspect of these regulations is that people who have already 'proved' their ability to support themselves (non-immigrant 'O' & 'B' visa holders) are also required to flash their cash. All in all, it is an ill thought out regulation that is being badly re-enforced in Mae Sai.

Falcon

Falcon

I think you missed the point.

It is not about how much money you carry with you in cash or how much you can afford to carry with you. It is about how many people know about it. A minibus full of visa runners is a perfect target on the way from/to border anywhere Your money will be with you all the way and everybody knows it. Robbers will carefully choose the right area to get into action.

A bank record with enough funds is necessary to get the Visa for France.

It's normal, and I'd agree to do the same to enter Thailand.

But foreigners don't need to show their cash to get VISA, neither carry it with them when crossing the frontier !

It's just non-sense...

Anyway, all of that is supposed to prevent illegal farangs to stay in Thailand.

How could it work ?

Illegal or not, the Farangs will have money to stay in Thailand. Bring it to the frontier won't change anything...

I read that Thai gov want to be sure farangs won't beg money in the street. So far, I never saw one white beggar in LOS.

And if so, cops would be pleased to arrest him. It'd be a solution a lot easier for everyone.

All of that stuff is just to discourage new farangs to choose to come to live in LOS, without a regular situation. :o

“Mae Sai Immigration was criticized by the Chiang Rai Governor, who asked us why there are are so many strange cases of people stamping in and out of Thailand on tourist visas – some for as long as 15 years. What are [such people] still doing in Chiang Rai?

Wanna bet that before long the Guv will be giving the poor mouth because the number of "tourist arrivals" in Chiang Rai have made a sudden precipitous drop? :o

I entered the USA some years ago and was rightly questioned on my ability to support myself, but on presentation of a credit card I was allowed in. The other aspect of these regulations is that people who have already 'proved' their ability to support themselves (non-immigrant 'O' & 'B' visa holders) are also required to flash their cash. All in all, it is an ill thought out regulation that is being badly re-enforced in Mae Sai.

Presentation of a credit card means uttery NOTHING!! All it means is that at one time in your miserable history of dealing with issuing banks or credit card companies, someone had a severe case of myopia when handling your application, and actually issued you with one :D

You can have a dozen cards all over their limit, and you can flash all of them to look important, but in reality are you?

You are also very much mistaken when you say that..." The other aspect of these regulations is that people who have already 'proved' their ability to support themselves (non-immigrant 'O' & 'B' visa holders)"

In actual fact no indication of support is requested when applying for a business non immigrant "O" visa.

Please be accurate :o

I got done on the way to Had Lek on the Trat side about three years ago, when I was new and working on Koh Chang. It was my first visa run, and the border had I believe only recently been opened. Took a tourist minibus from Trat to the border, with two nuns and a mother and child. The bus driver supposedly went to piss and as the bus idled, two camb. workers came in threateningly with a knife

Sounds like the van was robbed by Thais, not Cambos.

Can't agree with you about the cambos. Much nicer people than Thais IMO. Much more POLITE

Get a proper visa or carry travelers checks. You should be able to use the same travelers checks for several months before you cash them in for new ones. No reason someone should be living in a foreign country and not have the amount needed. Maybe they should do like other countries do to them, you will need to own a home and have cash in the bank and have sponsor round trip ticket.

And we all appreciate that in a normal civil society we would extend the hand of friendship and make available the opportunity,particulary in appreciation of their family status,to be able to live in their adopted country without fear or hindrance and be free to settle in harmony with their Thai kinsman for as long as they so wished and on an equal and fraternal basis.

Thanks for that one Rinrada

Wanna bet that before long the Guv will be giving the poor mouth because the number of "tourist arrivals" in Chiang Rai have made a sudden precipitous drop? :D

Fine. He cannot have it both ways.

What about the money these people spend in his province?

Unfortunately the statement from the Immigration officer does not really add anything to what we already know.

The bit about individual officer's discretion leaves a minefield ahead. :o

And we all appreciate that in a normal civil society we would extend the hand of friendship and make available the opportunity,particulary in appreciation of their family status,to be able to live in their adopted country without fear or hindrance and be free to settle in harmony with their Thai kinsman for as long as they so wished and on an equal and fraternal basis.

Then get the PROPER Visa that Thailand freely gives.

Read the Pol Capn report AIMED at over and over again 'tourists'

No where in the world allows that

Then get the PROPER Visa that Thailand freely gives.

Nice one, but how about the 30 or 40 (not 50/55) year old guy, who is married/engaged with this lovely Thai woman, who (the woman) can't leave Thailand at this time as she is studying/working/having a business/taking care of the sick parents and/or property...

This guy, let's call him John Doe, had bad luck recently, and/or built a house for the in-laws in Thailand. He hasn't got 800,000 (or 400,000) baht to put into a 0.5% interest-paying Thailand savings account, but only 300,000 baht.

He hasn't got enough money to open a beer bar in Kanchanaburi (where his pregnant girlfriend lives), but just enough savings to stay for 10 months in Thailand. He spends 30,000 baht per month in Kanchanaburi (or Khon Kaen), which is about what ten average Thai families spend per month. The shopowners/food sellers, etc. etc. in his girlfriend's village make a good business; he brings real money to Thailand...

This guy has no other choice than tourist visas or 30-day entry permits! :o

Also, how about the many long-time tourists in Phuket, Pattaya and Hua Hin who stay 6+ months at a time? Don't they bring lots of cash to Thailand for the benefit of many Thai people?? :D

Even though a lot of Thai citizens live on less per month, this is a reasonable sum to ask to make sure that you (the foreigner) are not down and out, hence a potential burden to an already burdened society. Maybe you live lean and you’re really good at it and, well, that’s good for you. However, a lot of folks aren’t on vacation half way around the world with $500 and most don’t live lean. 10K is enough to pay a month’s rent (6K at 200 a night). What if you lose it; get robbed; have an emergency hospital visit? They could ask for proof of a return airline ticket, the funds to buy it, or limit/cancel extensions altogether for tourist visas.

They say they will accept in lieu of cash:

• Bank statements (probably includes your passbook)

• ATM receipts

• Traveler’s checques

No one is asking you to carry cash around in your pocket. No one is requiring you to go and buy traveler's checques. Really, it’s not asking a lot to require you to carry an extra piece of paper or a little bank book in addition to your passport. It seems that people are getting upset because they don’t have $500 in the bank or because they think their circumstances are special. Besides, if you’re married (or with partner), someone in the family is usually more than willing to gather up 10K for you: mortgage the family farm or take a loan out against the buffalo.

If you disagree with it, just challenge it. Every time you come to the border to get back in just don’t bring that stuff with you. Explain to the border guards and immigration how you feel that you’re being singled out and that the way you’re being treated is unfair and equal to cruel and unusual punishment. Tell them what an honest guy you are and how they can trust your word that you have the means to get on fabulously. Tell them you’re a lawyer or that Taksin Shinawatr’s laundry is hanging in your garden. Show them a picture of someone else’s penthouse in Bangers, your decrepit old lady, or your filthy brats. Get over it, whiners.

I was under the impression (and maybe wrongly) that if you didn't have the cash they gave you a few days (or is it 5?) to come back in and prove to Imm that you have the money? This way if you're worried about carrying the cash you can do this ? Or would they knock you for an extra 1,900 Baht to exend it to the full amount that you were supposed to get on entry?

Even though a lot of Thai citizens live on less per month, this is a reasonable sum to ask to make sure that you (the foreigner) are not down and out, hence a potential burden to an already burdened society. 

They say they will accept in lieu of cash:

• Bank statements (probably includes your passbook)

• ATM receipts

• Traveler’s checques

No one is asking you to carry cash around in your pocket.  No one is requiring you to go and buy traveler's checques.  Really, it’s not asking a lot to require you to carry an extra piece of paper or a little bank book in addition to your passport.

Well, where in Thailand have you ever seen 'farang' begging for money (from Thai people)??

Westerners running out of money for whatever reason get either (financial) help,

or assistance to fly back to their home country by their respective embassy.

I never heard about one single case where Thailand's government, any organization or people have provided a western tourist with financial assistance!

(I guess, that no 'farang'/tourist to Thailand ever received one single satang from Thailand's government or any organization because he was broke or needed help...) So, how can Western foreigners be a burden to Thailand's society??

As for the bank passbook/statement, I'd be happy to take it with me to the border, but not lots of cash!

And as they say: 'It's at the discretion of the individual immigration checkpoint (officer)...

Um....They're living there? Do I win some kind of prize?