Thai Wife Coming To Uk

Apologies if it's been asked before.

I'm English, have a Thai g'friend (a year together now). We met in T'land and she has been here (UK) for a 2 week holiday and returned to T'land. I'm presently stuck in shitty UK.

We are considering marriage (or she's considering and I'm relenting). I'd like to know;

Once we are married (in Thailand), how long is it likely to be until she can get a long stay visa for the UK. What is the visa called? Can she stay indefinately? And can she work, get national insurance number?

She got her visitors visa extrememly quickly (2 days) but this was because she was only staying a short time.

Thanks.

Hi Eastender,

Everyone who applies for a visa for the UK on the basis of marriage is interviewed. The current waiting time from the date of application to interview is about 12 weeks. The visa is called either a settlement or marriage visa and once granted this will allow your then wife to stay in the UK for an initial period of 2 years. Towards the end of the 2 years you supply proof to the Home Office in the UK that the marriage is still subsisting and your wife will then be allowed to stay in the UK indefinitely. Once she's had indefinite leave to remain for 1 year she can seek naturalisation as a British citizen. When serving her probationary 2 years your wife will be able to work. However, a National Insurance number is no longer automatically issued. In order to qualify for one your wife would have to prove that she is either actively seeking work or has already started a job.

Hope that helps,

Scouse.

• 2 weeks later...

I got barred from their site about 2 years ago for mentioning the "C" word...Soi COWBOY......dont want any of that sort of thing here.. do we what...what :D

Still got invited to Blackpool however,but will be in Bangers instead..(assume i can mention the "B"word :o

I got barred from their site about 2 years ago for mentioning the "C" word...Soi COWBOY......dont want any of that sort of thing here.. do we what...what :D

Still got invited to Blackpool however,but will be in Bangers instead..(assume i can mention the "B"word :o

As long as it isn't B for buggery all is well :D