Turning Thai

Neeranam

My baby daughter was playing with the Santa clauses on the front window today which made me think, "my God, I've turned Thai!". We still have the gold-coloured Happy New Year across the top of the door too. Obviously it doesn't bother the wife(being Thai), and it doesn't bother me - leave it there til next year.

Also, when going to wok the other day, I felt nothing wrong with stopping at a motorbike and looking at myself in the wing mirror and even though I have short hair, patting it all down :o

Have you turned Thai - how?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those footprints on the toilet seat are mine. :o

lol - I left some on the seat at Amsterdam airport a couple of years ago and the Ladbrokes in Aberdeen - disgusting really Western toilet design.

I'll be in Melbourne next week - 3 years ago I didn't use the toilet paper there - I won't go into details but there is a way.

Edited by Neeranam

When I go home to the USA, I automatically pick up my spoon and fork to eat in the typical Thai fashion (push the food with the fork onto the spoon, and put the spoon in your mouth). I stop when I notice the stares.

When I go home to the USA, I automatically pick up my spoon and fork to eat in the typical Thai fashion (push the food with the fork onto the spoon, and put the spoon in your mouth). I stop when I notice the stares.

"Arai--Wah"??

Those footprints on the toilet seat are mine. :o

lol - I left some on the seat at Amsterdam airport a couple of years ago and the Ladbrokes in Aberdeen - disgusting really Western toilet design.

I'll be in Melbourne next week - 3 years ago I didn't use the toilet paper there - I won't go into details but there is a way.

Hahaha, yeah! I was back in Blighty recently and hated using paper; have always thought it barbaric. If I ever do go back to stay, I'll take 2 or 3 bum-guns, that's for sure. :D

If i dont know the answer to something or dont understand a question then i just say i understand! I also give wrong directions to anyone who happens to be lost rather than say i dont know! I have also learned to laugh at disabled people (esp. downsyndrome) when being ridiculed as part of a comedy act! I also ee any ferang as fair game and feel no guilt or shame when i overcharge them! :o

The Indian tailors, bar girls, tuk tuk drivers in my soi all ignore me. Even the guy with that tumor on his face selling those over sized zippo lighters now greets me with a hello, slaps my shoulder and just keeps walking :o

My baby daughter was playing with the Santa clauses on the front window today which made me think, "my God, I've turned Thai!". We still have the gold-coloured Happy New Year across the top of the door too. Obviously it doesn't bother the wife(being Thai), and it doesn't bother me - leave it there til next year.

Are you sure that's not just remaining Scottish? :o

Whisky soda. Wine is for hisos.

Fork into spoon.

What walk? Khun baa

Bum spray fan (worse thing about farangland not having them, so uncivilized)

And so many more.

I don't think I will ever go out wearing pajamas though as I don't even own pajamas.

Edited by Jingthing

Also, when going to wok the other day, I felt nothing wrong with stopping at a motorbike and looking at myself in the wing mirror and even though I have short hair, patting it all down :o

Have you turned Thai - how?

I pick my nose....anyware.

I am currently in VN which is Thailand++ so the comments are just as relevant.

I no longer even raise an eyebrow at the crazy antics they get up to on motorbikes nor how many people/how much freight can be carried by that mode of transport.

Jumping on a motorbike taxi to go downtown is second nature.

A while back I ordered something off the menu and when the waitress asked if I wanted rice with that said yes. The item was listed as steak and chip and I didn't give it a second thought. So I ended up with steak, chips and rice and ate the lot.

Having ice in beer is perfectly normal.

Going to a restaurant and finding the toilet has three walls and no roof is refreshingly luxurious.

It s changed me I turn the volume up full blast on everything but only at 3 am then proceed to have a loud conversation on my mobile hanging off my balcony or test my new bike exhaust out after adding my ludicrously large wheels to my car to show what a man I am followed with a drunken binge and wife/gik bashing session etc

You know you are turning Thai when you are happy to come away from the doctor with seven packets of pills all to be taken at different timings and all to be taken after meals.

Score : 5 points - you are getting there.

You are not satisfied with the seven sets of tabs and go out into the forest to see old Somchai who sells you a jar of Lao Khaw with various roots, twigs and leaves inside. You throw the tablets away and consume Somchai's homebrew and feel better.

Score : 20 points - citizenship is within your grasp.

Last time I was back in the 'west' I got a reality check while talking to a friend who said "What the hel_l are you smiling at!" A carry over from Thailand where you smile, nod your head and pay absolutely no attention to what's going on.