Tiger Boxer

jdinasia

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5200 km on the clock

Looking at the Tiger Boxer 250 RS, with its sporty cruiser looks, newly designed aluminum swingarm and upside down front forks, it is hard to belief that this motorcycle has no competition on the Thai motorcycle market. The closest competitor is maybe the Kawasaki ninja 250. The Kawasaki is a sports bike and not an all-rounder like the Tiger.

This bike is a perfect well balanced budget bike to ride on. You can use it for daily commuting or even longer distances like I do. The Tiger Boxer 250RS is pillion-friendly bike and the soft seat, low pegs should give your pillion driver a great ride. The seat is spacious and comfortable enough for longer trips and the nicely spaced pegs give ergonomic body position.

I‘ve been on the road for about 5200 km with my Tiger now. I’m very satisfied with the Tigers performance. A few blips of the throttle reveal instantly that the Tiger is a 250 cc single thumper. Producing a rough roaring sound. Not the bee in a pickle pot sound. The engine can rev remarkable easy, without being to revvy in nature, the 250cc single cylinder gives a smooth surge between 6000 to 8500rpm that's perfect at real road speeds. I’d been riding other 250cc bikes before . I always had the feeling at speeds of more than 100 km/h that the engine will explode, nothing is left from that feeling when riding the Tiger. The tiger is a torquey bike. It reveals its high torque at low revs. That makes the bike very powerful , when the rider must overtake slower trucks in 3rd or 4th gear , is a piece of cake with the Tiger . The bike keeps gaining speed, without being blown off the road from the trucks displacement. The Tiger always remain stable. A light feel and ample leverage from the handlebars gives easy, prompt direction changes – picking off traffic and slipping through congestion is a breeze, especially from the elevated upright riding position. The engine with its large oil cooler withstands the Bangkok heat with no trouble . Riding the swooping mountain roads to Chiang Mai , Mea Sariang and Mea Sot with my Golden Tiger Girl was a joyful ride.

The maintenance for this bike is also dirt cheap ,depending on you personal motor oil choice a service cost of max 200 baht .But I always go for the better motor oil 5W50 semi- or 10w40 synthetic oil.Adding the low fuel consumption about 3,3l/100 km on Gasohol 95 .make this bike a genuine bargain. If The Tiger Boxer 250 Rs keeps performing like this .it’s by far the best value for money bike on the Thai market and probably many other markets abroad .

Therefore ,I truly recommend this sporty all-rounder to anyone that loves sporty touring and is not so keen on speed bikes. Long distances and city traffic become is no longer a burden with this Tiger .

happy trails to anyone,

Charlie

this chronicle is also online on the following link http://www.boxermc.info/article.php/20090121153144391

Hi Guys,

Saturday i was at the Tiger factory.I ask Khun Pariya to make an up to date delerslist English and Thai,He confirmed to make one and put it online on their site.

Tiger is really satisfied with the sales of January,It's really going well. I saw a lot civilian boxers there . i saw 2 yellow ones same mine thx guys for reading my posts.

Pics will follow.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

The Tiger Motor website is Tiger Motor website, there is also a Tiger Boxer Motorcycle Club

And if you in Bangkok and being a foreigner you probably best of contacting Tiger Motor directly as the sales manager clearly studied in England and speaks remarkable good English.

If you in the North side of Bangkok your nearest location is 1865 Phahon Yothin Rd, Lad Yao, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900 tel:02-511-2270 and if you more at the South side of town you can visit the factory 500 Moo 8, Buddharaksa Rd., Taibanmai, A.Muang, Samutprakarn 10280 tel:02-388-0868-77

For all it is best to make a appointment with Mr. Pariya his email address is [email protected]

The Tiger Motor website is Tiger Motor website, there is also a Tiger Boxer Motorcycle Club

And if you in Bangkok and being a foreigner you probably best of contacting Tiger Motor directly as the sales manager clearly studied in England and speaks remarkable good English.

If you in the North side of Bangkok your nearest location is 1865 Phahon Yothin Rd, Lad Yao, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900 tel:02-511-2270 and if you more at the South side of town you can visit the factory 500 Moo 8, Buddharaksa Rd., Taibanmai, A.Muang, Samutprakarn 10280 tel:02-388-0868-77

For all it is best to make a appointment with Mr. Pariya his email address is [email protected]

Seems like a really nice guy. He just emailed me saying that the Chiang Mai dealer is getting both the Boxer 250 and the Sachs Kikass 125 (Tiger is now distributor for Sachs in Thailand).

He wrote:

"Just letting you know that we are sending Boxer 250RS and KIKASS 125 to Chiangmai tomorrow. The bikes should arrive at the dealer by Sat afternoon.

Supanit Motor 444/7 Jareung Muang rd, T. Watgate, A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000 tel:053-246724"

Hi everyone,

Question, I'm 6'5", about 90Kgs, any chance I fit on a tiger boxer 250?

I've been looking around for a big bike for the longer distances, owning an x1r 135 now. It's a nice versatile little pocket rocket but for the longer trips it's a little too small.

Does anyone know a dealership in the vicinity of Nakhon Sawan? I saw a post saying there was one in Lat yao. Went there over the weekend but they changed dealerships because they didn't sell a single tiger in 6 months or so.

Thanks!

Fritz

That's good news. Well, I'll have a look this Saturday. Turns out that Kano85 is coming to Nakhon sawan on his boxer.

Hi Fritz,

You sure fit on a Tiger Boxer, I'm 6'4", and 100kg, and I can ensure you the riding position is very comfortable

Hi everyone,

I've been looking around for a big bike for the longer distances, owning an x1r 135 now. It's a nice versatile little pocket rocket but for the longer trips it's a little too small.

Does anyone know a dealership in the vicinity of Nakhon Sawan? I saw a post saying there was one in Lat yao. Went there over the weekend but they changed dealerships because they didn't sell a single tiger in 6 months or so.

Thanks!

Fritz

Oh, really? I was last through there right after they shut down the airport, and they still had the sign up. Had seen it several times because I used to have my CBR serviced at the Honda dealer a bit down the road from it. However they never had any Boxers that I saw....I'll ask the wife where the Nakhon Sawan dealer is, or try and email the English speaking rep that Kano has had contact with.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Fritz

Oh, really? I was last through there right after they shut down the airport, and they still had the sign up. Had seen it several times because I used to have my CBR serviced at the Honda dealer a bit down the road from it. However they never had any Boxers that I saw....I'll ask the wife where the Nakhon Sawan dealer is, or try and email the English speaking rep that Kano has had contact with.

Yes, you're quite right, the signs are still up, all the promo stuff is still there, like the bike stands that say Tiger etc. but they don't sell them anymore. Kano said there was one in Nakhon Sawan tok, that's where I live but I haven't seen anything here. Maybe someone else knows.

But still I hear all sorts of different stories about the Tiger. One says the worst bike I ever bought and others say it's a pretty OK ride. One of my main concerns is that it's build out of inferior quality materials. I already have a bike like that and I'm not opting for a second. Anyways, I'm still interested to find out if I fit on a CBR150 or not. Drove next to one today and it looked bigger than my X1R for sure.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Fritz

Yes, you're quite right, the signs are still up, all the promo stuff is still there, like the bike stands that say Tiger etc. but they don't sell them anymore. Kano said there was one in Nakhon Sawan tok, that's where I live but I haven't seen anything here. Maybe someone else knows.

But still I hear all sorts of different stories about the Tiger. One says the worst bike I ever bought and others say it's a pretty OK ride. One of my main concerns is that it's build out of inferior quality materials. I already have a bike like that and I'm not opting for a second. Anyways, I'm still interested to find out if I fit on a CBR150 or not. Drove next to one today and it looked bigger than my X1R for sure.

At 6'5'' tall,you are going to have trouble fitting anything.....Didn't you know bikes made in Thailand are designed for people no taller then 5'... :D I've got a nice bike you will fit,but don't drop it,'cause i cannot pick it up! :o

Its hard to believe that Tiger are building inferior quality Boxers. There is a lot of police riding them alll over the country now. Surely if they were not serviceable they would not accept them as they wouldnt be much good as a police bike if they were not reliable. Tigers also seem to be well received in other S E Asian countries.

I am 5' 9" and it feels ok for size for me, would think that they are a bit cramped for someone much over 6 foot, unless they have short legs.

Its hard to believe that Tiger are building inferior quality Boxers. There is a lot of police riding them alll over the country now. Surely if they were not serviceable they would not accept them as they wouldnt be much good as a police bike if they were not reliable. Tigers also seem to be well received in other S E Asian countries.

LOL- I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Tiger Boxer. From what I've heard it's good value for money, BUT, trying to say it's a quality machine because the BiB ride them?! Well, that's hardly an endorsement. :D:D:o

I'm curious to see how the Tiger Boxers hold up over time and mileage and I sincerely hope they prove to be reliable machines.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Fritz

At 6'5'' tall,you are going to have trouble fitting anything.....Didn't you know bikes made in Thailand are designed for people no taller then 5'... :D I've got a nice bike you will fit,but don't drop it,'cause i cannot pick it up! :o

Yeah I'm starting to realize that. I cramped myself on a cb400 for a day. Can't describe the hellish pain I felt after I came back from Doi Inthanon. Family jewelry almost crushed, ears between my knees and my back felt like I'd been riding a horse across the sahara.

Hi Fritz,

I also had a cb400 and found it painful after 200km, i used to ride Bkk to Ubon frequently and eventually went by train to save the pain.............................. hey i like that, must suggest it as a slogan for Thai Railways. The discomfort of the cb400 does make me concerned that i might find the same with the Tiger Boxer.

When I looked over the Boxer I just thought it an average quality Thai bike. I never thought, nor have i said it was a quality bike, in fact i think the cbr150 looks better quality and value. If quality was one of my main concerns, as you say it is one of your main concerns, then for the same money there isnt much to choose from. Maybe an older imported bigger bike but I am concerned there about genuine green book and getting spare parts

Yeah I'm starting to realize that. I cramped myself on a cb400 for a day. Can't describe the hellish pain I felt after I came back from Doi Inthanon. Family jewelry almost crushed, ears between my knees and my back felt like I'd been riding a horse across the sahara.

Is a Honda CB400 really that small??? I've never ridden one, but they look pretty roomy... Maybe you need to look at a Triumph Tiger or a BMW1200GS :o

Happy Trails!

One of my neighbors is a police officer, he and I'm sure many other officers do not care a bit about the bike. It stands day in day out in the weather. I never see him waxing the bike or spraying some protection on it. Still in 2 years that he now has the bike I cannot discover any rust, nor has he ever had problems starting the bike.

I had several, motorcycles over the latest few years, and if I can say it impresses me that the Tiger Boxer 200PX still looks so good.

One of my neighbors is a police officer, he and I'm sure many other officers do not care a bit about the bike. It stands day in day out in the weather. I never see him waxing the bike or spraying some protection on it. Still in 2 years that he now has the bike I cannot discover any rust, nor has he ever had problems starting the bike.

I had several, motorcycles over the latest few years, and if I can say it impresses me that the Tiger Boxer 200PX still looks so good.

That's interesting- most of the tiger boxers I see in Bangkok are looking pretty tired, but then again, it appears they receive a lot of use with minimal maintenance and many are left out to bake in the sun and soak in the rain. I imagine the ease of repair is another benefit for using them as fleet vehicles.

Hi Fritz,

I also had a cb400 and found it painful after 200km, i used to ride Bkk to Ubon frequently and eventually went by train to save the pain.............................. hey i like that, must suggest it as a slogan for Thai Railways. The discomfort of the cb400 does make me concerned that i might find the same with the Tiger Boxer.

When I looked over the Boxer I just thought it an average quality Thai bike. I never thought, nor have i said it was a quality bike, in fact i think the cbr150 looks better quality and value. If quality was one of my main concerns, as you say it is one of your main concerns, then for the same money there isnt much to choose from. Maybe an older imported bigger bike but I am concerned there about genuine green book and getting spare parts

I agree with you there.

Quality is of course an issue and as I found it hellish to ride a cb400 I'm asking myself what a CBR150 is like. Although the body of the CB is bigger, it looks to me like the CBR has more space. The foot rests are positioned lower than the CB giving you some more knee space and reducing the angle between your upper and lower leg.

As I'm probably gonna do a hel_l lot of kms over the next couple of years, I'm not sure which one to choose. A friend of mine in Prae still swears by his 7 year old phantom doing 150 kms a day commuting to school. He's about my height and weight, maybe a couple of inches shorter. He's around 6'3" I reckon.

then there is of course the Tiger. As many people say a decent bike and you can buy 2 of them for 1 kawa well I reckon it's good value for your money. But getting it serviced is a pain out here as there's no dealer around. However, people say that for tall people it makes quite a comfy ride.

The other option, getting a second hand bike with a gray or green book, well yeah, living in Nakhon Sawan, that's certainly not a good idea. Police here are cracking down on bikers without helmets, phony plates etc. They'll chase every big motor bike around to fork them out of a substantial amount of money. So that's a no go here.

Don't know anything about the raider, never took any interest in suzukis.

I wish I still had my XJ900, at least the one I had in Europe. I'd take it right through europe russia and india to Thailand. lovely bike

Edited by frtiz

Fritz. what i suggest is to talk to Pariya at Tiger he speaks very good English and tell him your concerns, maybe ask about the possibility of getting a loan bike for a day or two or at worst a few hours(maybe have to pay a deposit) then ride it around on some of the roads and see what you think. i don't think the boxer is a large bike but also it looks to have a fair bit of room. the Cbr150 can feel a bit cramped some times if your taller (but you can convert the bars).

Allan

for the once who are interested tomorrow im in NAKON SAWAN and in LAT YAO I'll visit a Dutch friend. There is a dealer near the BIG C in NAK WAN. All the signs are there and the owner is CHINESE. My other Belgian friend bought his boxer 200 there last year.

If you go from BIG C to high road 1 just in front of the intersection ,is a huge motorbike shop with a showroom on the 2nd floor there are also TIGER signs .There you can ask for info.

If someone is interested to see my boxer you can mail me [email protected] . Im still very satisfied with my boxer .Nearly 8000 trouble free km.

A CBR 150 better WHY CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN ME ????????? and if so have you ever ridden a boxer ???????

Charlie

Hi :o

People always say "Honda is best" even without trying a Tiger or any other..... it comes naturally i think :D When i was still in Germany also everyone said "what i drive is BEST, everything else is cr@p".... but they never actually tried another.

I don't have a Tiger as i am perfectly happy with my old RXZ and i certainly recommend RXZ to someone who is looking for a cheap, old bike that is reliable, but i will never say "Tiger is cr@p" because i have not tested one and therefor CAN NOT make such statements.

Kind regards......

Thanh

YES Than-BKK you' re probably right. what i have is best and many people are talking nonsense about other brands. Many people don't dare to talk about the problem they have with their own bike.

The RXZ is indeed a nice bike.

my experience is. If you never had ridden a bike for a long time don't talk about it. Maybe it's better than your own bike .

For me the BOXER is a better deal than a cbr 150 or 400 cc still after 8000 km.(trouble free)

Charlie