Tiger Boxer

jdinasia

Now now, let's not get into a pissing contest... The Honda CBR150 is a time tested workhorse of a bike. I'd never ride one because it's just too dam_n small, but it is what it is- a great 150cc sport bike that is incredibly tough and reliable.

I had a GREAT time on my 250cc Ninja 250R, but ultimately 33 horsepower just didn't do it for me and I'm very happy that I've upgraded to the 650cc Kawasaki ER-6n.

The Tiger Boxer 250 seems to be off to a great start! 8000 trouble free km is outstanding, since this brand has, in the past, had a rather poor reputation for quality and durability.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the CBR 150 and Tiger Boxer 250 are about the same price? So, one could argue that the Tiger is the better value since you get 100 extra cc of displacement for the cost of a Honda 150cc. I have no idea what these bikes weigh or how many horsepower they put out, but it would be interesting to know the power to weight ratio of the two bikes.

Again- not saying one bike is superior to the other.

As far as I'm concerned, if the bike you ride makes you happy, then that is ALL that matters.

Happy Trails!

Tony

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now now, let's not get into a pissing contest... The Honda CBR150 is a time tested workhorse of a bike. I'd never ride one because it's just too dam_n small, but it is what it is- a great 150cc sport bike that is incredibly tough and reliable.

I had a GREAT time on my 250cc Ninja 250R, but ultimately 33 horsepower just didn't do it for me and I'm very happy that I've upgraded to the 650cc Kawasaki ER-6n.

The Tiger Boxer 250 seems to be off to a great start! 8000 trouble free km is outstanding, since this brand has, in the past, had a rather poor reputation for quality and durability.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the CBR 150 and Tiger Boxer 250 are about the same price? So, one could argue that the Tiger is the better value since you get 100 extra cc of displacement for the cost of a Honda 150cc. I have no idea what these bikes weigh or how many horsepower they put out, but it would be interesting to know the power to weight ratio of the two bikes.

Again- not saying one bike is superior to the other.

As far as I'm concerned, if the bike you ride makes you happy, then that is ALL that matters.

Happy Trails!

Tony

I think you hit the nail on the head; there is an extremely biased view as to the quality of the Japanese Big 4 build quality. Essentially the same engine in the CBR 150R powers the whole of the Honda scooter range, and it's rare that you hear problems from them.

I do believe that you're not giving the CBR enough credit for size, I'm a bit bigger than you and I fit it rather well--of course you could be talking about small in the HP department and when comparing to other bikes coming on the market you'd be right.

I haven't ridden one of the Boxers yet, but I'd think that, as I've said before, you can't compare them exactly to the CBR much as you can't compare a 1098 to a 1200GS. Granted the prices are similar, and performance isn't that far off (well in the BMW-Ducati comparison it is!) but the design goals are significantly different. Is a Boxer good for balls out city riding? Is a CBR good for plodding along eating up the miles and crossing stream and dale?

The one place you can compare them is if a new bike in that price bracket is the only thing you can afford or your significant other is letting you purchase. In that case I would posit that a Boxer would be a better buy for someone who either lives in the country or takes long trips. A CBR would be better for a strictly city dweller.

Also someone asked if the CB400 was too small. I rented one for a day and was disappointed with the ergonomics also......

Err Dave.....

The CBR 150's engine does NOT power the entire scooter range.... only the Sonic got a similar engine :o Most Honda "scooters" are powered by the Cub-engine which originally comes from the Super Cub and has evolved from 50 over 70, 90, 100 and 110cc up to 125cc with injection. Clones of that engine power many many other bikes, among them even several Tiger models such as the "Smart".

And their grandfather, the Super Cub, is with over SIXTY MILLION the most built motorized vehicle of all times, and it's STILL being build in it's 51st production year :D Honda certainly did something right with that one :D

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Err Dave.....

The CBR 150's engine does NOT power the entire scooter range.... only the Sonic got a similar engine :o Most Honda "scooters" are powered by the Cub-engine which originally comes from the Super Cub and has evolved from 50 over 70, 90, 100 and 110cc up to 125cc with injection. Clones of that engine power many many other bikes, among them even several Tiger models such as the "Smart".

And their grandfather, the Super Cub, is with over SIXTY MILLION the most built motorized vehicle of all times, and it's STILL being build in it's 51st production year :D Honda certainly did something right with that one :D

Kind regards.....

Thanh

My mistake, I thought that the Sonic/CBR engine was a derivative of the cub engine with the exception of being DOHC rather than the SOHC....doesn't change the fact that so far NOBODY has reported ANY problems with the CBR engines! So I stand by my assertion that the build quality for the Japanese Big 4 is par excellence and that of Tiger is still an unproven factor--although Kano definitely seems to be smitten by it.

I'm offering to ride anyone's Boxer and decide for myself what the real story is.

well mine did need a new piston and rings and also a new fork stanchion. but this was probably due to bad maintenance before or when i brought it as it happened within the 1st 30 km's. So to say 'ANY' problems is taking it a bit far. Also Peace HAD problems with his carb's. but saying that the Honda cbr150 engine is a very,very good engine. perhaps because it is a fairly unstressed engine. i had a lot of respect for my little bike.

Ach, every motorcycle manufacturer has its failures. Only in case of Honda people seem to forget easy. As I can remember in the 1980’s one bike single-handedly destroyed Honda’s reputation for reliability. Take a bow the legendary Honda VF750F. Honda’s sport-tourer was fraught with top-end problems. The surface of the cam was too soft and regularly pitted, causing the cam to wear unevenly and wobble in the bearings.

As well as making the engine rattle like hel_l this destroyed camshaft chains and camshaft chains tensioners, leading to engine rebuilds. Other problems with the Honda VF750F where the handlebar tube and handlebar arm, the tube was to thin, and did not meet the safety standards, also the tube did not fit correctly because the inside diameter was not correct. Other less dangerous problems with the Honda VF750F where engine cooling and gasoline fueling….

Anyway, Honda broke with the Honda VF750F a few records; it was the worlds biggest motorcycle recall. Honda still holds the record.

This is just an example every manufacturer make sometimes a mistake, some people say the Tiger problem bike was the Tiger Joker. But then I also hear from other people that they are still very happy with riding the Joker.

The Tiger Joker is now “I belief” for a few year out of products. Still I belief that Tiger is still manufacturing spare parts which can be delivered overnight (if needed) anywhere in Thailand.

Indeed the Tiger Joker nearly destroyed Tiger- what a complete piece of crap that was! I haven't seen one on the road in a long time- I imagine most have been binned at this point.

I have a couple of friends who bought them because the looked cool and they were cheap, but as everyone knows, they are incredibly unreliable, poorly designed and built and under all the fancy plastic these scooters age very quickly. If you don't keep them covered they'll rust out in a year!

Anyway- that was then and this is now. It seems Tiger has turned a corner and is now producing much better quality bikes. Let's hope the Tiger Boxer 250 stands the test of time and leads the brand to even bigger and better things!

Happy Trails!

Hi :o

I can't understand what's so bad about the Tiger Joker? I don't have one but there's two of them in my surroundings, one of which has some 60k Kilometers on it.... can't be THAT bad then? But it's also quite rusty.

However those Jokers are just clones of the Honda Wave with some extra bits bolted on like sissy bars, top case etc..... the engine is swappable with the one in the Wave, so what's the big difference?? Joker and Smart are essentially the same bike (under all that plastic anyway) and there's a third one in the bunch, made to look like a little Enduro, or rather like an off-road Wave.... can't remember what it was called, Smart CX or something? Same engine in that, too. Should be highly reliable.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

The Tiger Joker was indeed nothing more then a Honda Cup/Wave model, it was probably one of the first motorcycles that Tiger sold. It was cheap and it was similar in appearance as a Honda Cup/Wave.

The sales was a success for Tiger as it sold much more then they had planned, the main problem with most people which had problems with the Joker was that they expected the same as a Honda Wave for much less satang. The saying go's you get what you pay for.....

post-12170-1234594685_thumb.jpg

I have been riding my boxer now for nearly 9000 kms. and I must say that it will be very difficult to find a better 232 cc bike for the same price and qlty.Its a very stable bike and cornering is really a pleasure with this bike. I followed already several bigbike clubs on the high road at speeds of 110 - 130 without any problem,Many of the bigbikers didn't want to believe it was a boxer.

If this bike on the long run seems to be reliable IT'LL the best bike in its class.

Happy biking

Well, my SMART CX works good. I think, there is not a big different with the joker. I´ve ridden it also on a hard off-road track, when I hurted my knee, that I could´nt climb on the enduro. Goes everywhere. I don´t want to give it up anymore. 8000 TB is a joke, better I use it for the city.

The boxer is still on the wishlist and I´ve contaced Khun Phariya allready. Is the Boxer able to use it in our new tours with streetbikes around the country? We have a tour at the end of march about 2500km) and I want to test one on that trip.

I do think the SMART CX is good bike too. I had ridden it on the test track at tiger factory and it really surprised me . The new Smart cx 135 is really powerful and smooth to ride on. It performed very well on a dirt road too.

After a few minor Years Tiger is on the way back with good qlty bikes.

charlie

Vato. did you ask that question of Peaceblondie or Dave Boo who have been pumping the Honda cbr150 like crazy?

I believe that Charlie (Kano) has found the bike that is best suited to his needs and feels that he has been given outstanding service by Tiger( they sprayed the bike in a one of colour scheme that he wanted)

but i'm sure he will answer you himself.

I am getting a little sick of all the prejudice towards Tiger that comes from certain people on this site. the very same people that have not even ridden one. and then when someone comes along(kano) who has brought one and is totally happy with it after 8,000 km's.

to accuse him of being on Tiger's payroll or something.........well... :o

And also the thread is labelled Tiger boxer for gods sake.

The affiliation of Charlie with Tiger is that he is a satisfied user of a Tiger Motorcycle. If you not have the same feelings for your own motorcycle, it is possible that you selected the wrong one.

It sometimes seems that people on this board, only want to speak about Honda CBR150's, a motorcycle which will be discontinued (at least in its current setup) by the end of this year.

Even if Honda would introduce a CBR150R with fuel-injection it would be wise to hold back any purchase and see what Honda is going to introduce as alternative in the bigger then 125cc range. It is very likely that Honda will reveal some new models at the Bangkok Motorshow at the end of next month.

And until we know what Honda will offer us, the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is the best price – performance motorcycle.

kano, what exactly is your affiliation with tiger?...it really is starting to become hard to believe that you are not in any type of affiliation with tiger or receiving any benefits.

ugh ...

He owns a bike that he LIKES ...

I have had a Tiger for 5+ years and have loved it! (in fact I think I may have started this thread out of curiosity about the Boxers)...

Indeed, jdinasia started this thread. And while my boyfriend's family found their Joker 125 to be less reliable than most of their Japanese-designed bikes, they have gotten years of use out of it. I have tried to stay out of this thread lately. I deleted lots of off-topic posts, and tried to discourage the CBR comparisons, but I was guilty of those comparisons.

I found out what one of my only issues with my joker was all about ... (after fixing flats and replacing tires they never seemed to get the chain tight ... now that I know about that my bike STILL runs smoothly) The other issue I have had with the Joker was cheap chromed* plastic ... not an issue on the Boxer

Hi.

I think it's perfectly normal for people to talk about something they are happy with. The Boxer seems to be an awesome bike, the OP is the owner of one and has every right to praise his bike. After all the message here is his experience with a bike for which many have no good words without ever having sat on one.

If i would have opened this thread i would also talk about the experiences i gather daily with my old two-banger in Bangkok, the races that i tend to win (against "much stronger" bikes like CBR 150 and even NSR 150's!) and the at the same time awesome mileage i get out of a tank of gas. And i also wouldn't hold back with the fact that my odometer reads new records every day - my current bike is the one with the highest mileage "done" that i ever owned and every meter is one more meter to the record. And the best is - nobody could ever accuse me to be on Yamaha's payroll because this sort of bike hasn't been sold in Thailand since 1996 :o

So come on everyone, forget about all the other bikes and go and buy a second hand Yamaha RXZ. NOW!

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Edited by Thanh-BKK

kano, what exactly is your affiliation with tiger?...it really is starting to become hard to believe that you are not in any type of affiliation with tiger or receiving any benefits.

hi Vato,

I feel sad for you accusing me to be on Tiger's payroll. I'm the one that bought a TIGER and many people begin to revise their meaning about the brand coz they heard only from someone else. Same you but you seem to be stubborn to accept it and thats sad for you.

the only relation i have withTIGER is that i'm a customer like others. I kept my

promises and so did TIGER if you don't believe it ,its up to you and stick with your motorbike you have now. I never looked down on any other brand. And i know what im talking about you not coz you probably have never ridden a boxer be quiet than.

Don't forget DON'T BE AS STUBBORN AS A MULE

Charlie good luck mate

kano, your problem is, whenever ANYONE says ANYTHING regarding tiger you jump on them about it....and start accusing people of being biased stubborn or ignorant.

let me ask you, what right do you have to accuse me of being stubborn ? when i have said nothing negative about tiger whatsoever...?

so dont feel sad for me, feel sad for yourself, as you are the one making false accusations...you prick.

tell you the truth , with your attitude, i dont ever want to touch a tiger now...and this is the point which is too hard for your stupid ass to understand - when you push a product too hard people start to get weary about the legitimacy of the statements.

and it's a cold hard fact, that resale value is $hit...if you can resell it at all.

Yeah.

Maybe *some* people buy a vehicle to have FUN with it NOW, not to sell it with profit some years down the road...

For me personally, i NEVER bought a vehicle (car or bike) just because of "resale value". I bought it because i liked it and to have fun (or for it to do it's job plain and simple).

I still rather have a great bike for 10 years and throw it into the river after that than riding a "everyone and their brother got one" which i can sell for half it's new price after 10 years.

Vehicles are to be USED, not investments. Buy Gold if you want to invest. Buy a Tiger if you want to have fun (or an RXZ).

Kind regards.....

Thanh

I never push a bike to anyone can ride what he wants i always said . And if you cant stand a reaction sad for you.

I dont have any problem that you stay with your favorite brand . Coz i dont have any affiliation with TIGER . I never pushed TIGER to anyone. Some people became friends of me via this treads and they still kept their own brand or bought another bike than TIGER . No problem for me where biking together.

HOW many times i posted TIGERS contact detail . go out and see yourself. same as i did. My idea at the beginning was.

" so many people are talking bad about this brand. But I never saw the police pushing a TIGER ."

referring What THAICBR said about Blondie and Dave boo pushing the HONDA CBR was always ok for me coz its indeed a very good bike. Why you cant accept it for the TIGER BOXER or feel suspicious with them ?????????????????

If you dont like it stay out of this tread i never go into honda CBR tread saying boxer this and that .

I wrote all this posts selfless.

Good luck VATO

be a good biker

To whom it may concern.

If there are still bikers wont belief that tiger is doing well for the moment in other countries than Thailand .see the pics.

If tiger is so bad why did they captured prices in racing ....?

If i insulted someone sorry for that. But im doing this write ups for free without having any connection with tiger. I tested nearly all the bikes at the factory boxer 250 Rs , boxer 200 , The bulldog , Smart CX 135 off road. even the E- boxer

The smart Cx is in my opinion a very strong bike ,because the frame with its extra bar is a lot stiffer, good while on off roads

I simply don't like people blaming something without knowing anything about it, Whatever subject it is.I heard from someone , or someone told me ...etc I never do that i go on inspection myself period.

I apologize to all the guys I insulted

post-69913-1234934476_thumb.jpg post-69913-1234934692_thumb.jpg

post-69913-1234934773_thumb.jpg post-69913-1234934846_thumb.jpg

post-69913-1234934904_thumb.jpg

Charlie

P>S Nice detail BOXER sold already 2 Yellow 200 cc boxer after i order the first one

I find it a little amusing that Tiger sell more bikes outside Thailand than they do in. and all down to the blind 'Thai made no good' philosophy that Thai people have. i haven't seen one close to as yet. but soon i might make a trip to the factory.

Allan