Thai Bank Account For Retirement O-a Visa Application From Usa

I've gone thru 90% of the process for applying for a Retirment O-A Visa from my home country(USA) and thought this information could be useful for some. URLs are below for official requirments and forms.

I picked this post up from another Thread. Hopefully Lopburi3 will see this thread and answer some of the remaining questions.

Were you also advised, if you have a multi entry O-A visa, you can depart/return just before it expires and receive a new stamp for one year (without any need for financial means)? But when it is time to extend in Thailand the money must have been here for 3 months.

Thanks for your info, Lopburi. Can I ask for a bit more clarification please?

Firstly, heres a a review of my current state in the process with USA Thai Embassy visa application.

"Residence Permit in the case of Retirement for Person who is 50 years or Over".

That's what the Embassy staff call the O-A visa. I learned a lot so far in this process, and it might be useful for anyone else going thru the Retirement O-A application process from abroad. This type visa can only be acquired from the applicant's home country before arrival. It does have signifigant benefits such as, eliminating frequent visa runs.

* I now have my Medical Certificate, Police Clearance, and US Bank Statements and letter of guarantee. All must be certified by a Notary Seal.

* Bank Requirement: I'm using an official USA bank statement from my bank and it also includes a Letter of Guarantee from my bank manager that the statement is "genuine" and I am known personally by him. Manager's signature on all documents. Both the bank statement and the letter must be Certified by a Notary as well. Amount: Bank statement must exceed US dollars equivalent of 800k baht

I was in and out of my bank in 15 minutes, and the rest was handled via Post. I've gotten all the above done with very little effort, and apparently it is all correctly done because I phoned the US Thai Embassy and spoke with the staff in the visa department. There were some surprises noted down below.

These are the exact printed details for O-A requirements from Thai Embassy in USA. http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/retirementvisa.html

Nowhere within this can I find anything about the "Multi-Entry" part, that so many posts on this forum mention. Thai Embassy staff were ambigous about anything after I enter the Kingdom. Their only concern seems to be in vetting the applicant's documents and then issuing the Retirement O-A in the applicants passport.

Here is the pertinent info from Thai Embassy visa official requirments on the timing:

3.2 At the end of the one-year stay, the alien who wishes to extend his/her stay shall submit a request for the extended period at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in the Kingdom, or an income certificate, at the amount of no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income certificate plus a deposit account at the total amount of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.

My question for anyone, but especially Lopburi3:

This seems to say that I get a single-entry into the Kingdom, and other than reporting in every 90 days, there is not requirement for a Thai bank account.

Is my assumption that NO Thai bank account is required for One Year until the Extension of Stay correct... as far as you know?

The way I understand this so far... I do not need the bank account for one year, BUT will need to establish the account and "season" it 90 days prior to the end of my first year... month 8 of my first year stay.

Travel outside the Kingdom during my first year.

Back to the "Multi-Entry" part... there is no information from Thai Embassy in USA about this. Even on the phone I can't get a straight answer. Can anyone help with info on this? Will I have Multi-Entry possiblities with this O-A Retirement Visa and the ability to travel during my first year?

Now for the million dollar bonus question... Lopburi3 mentions this above

"... if I was advised that I can leave and return... and in effect get 23 months out of the original visa with NO financial requirement for a Thai bank account... and my answer is No, I did not get this advice so far."

Could anyone please clarify in detail how I can "depart/return" just before 12 month expires on my O-A visa and get a new one year stamp on visa?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Jan

Notes on the "UnSpoken Requirments" from Embassy in US.

All this info may be different elsewhere for other Embassy officials. None of this was online or offered in the phone conversations. I just kept asking polite questions and these things turned up.

* First, they absolutely require all documents be Notarized with official seals. Otherwise not acceptable.

* All documents must be original. So be sure you request more than one certifed original for every document you need. Otherwise, you will not have your certifed documents(Police Certificate, Medical, US Bank Statement) after arriving in the Kingdom for the one year stay. I was warned that immigration officials might request these after my arrival and all documents must be certified originals. No photo-copies.

* When you type or print the information into your Visa Application and Personal Data Form, be sure to do it 3 times manually. Do not make photo-copies. The written instructions say this in one place and then goes on to say, "three copies". They don't mean photo-copies. Must be originals.

* Put your signature on the backs of each passport photo submitted. This tidbit wasn't anywhere until I asked.

* You do not visit the Embassy, but send your entire "package" via Express Mail to Thai Embassy Visa section. It will be returned when approved. The Thai USA embassy has a strict procedure about sending your "package"... the application with your passport and all the documents. Even down to the type of Express Return Envelope you must provide in your package. I got the impression that "the procedure" is whatever one staff member says it is. So this could vary from office to office. If I get it all right, then the turnaround time is about 5 days. If not, one can slip through the cracks into the misery of you know here.

If this all seems like a big hassle to apply for the full retirement O-A, I can say that so far this has been manageable for me. And a good investment for all the benefits. I'd say that as long as one is very careful to get every bit of info correct.. directly from the Embassy officials, it works out successfully. I'll let you know after I send the application following 30 days prior departure advice.

Lastly, I was given some helpful, friendly advice from the staff at my local Thai Consulate, all Americans... as this in an honorary consul who cannot issue O-A visas. The advice was not correct when I checked with the Thai Embassy. Not intentionally wrong, consul's information was just out-of-date.

All in all, this has been pretty smooth. I have experienced much worse experiences with shepherding applications thru a bureaucracy. The Thai Embassy staff in USA were most helpful and patient with me, although persistentence was necessary to dig out the important bits during conversations.

http://www.thaiembdc.org/forms/visa.pdf

http://www.thaiembdc.org/forms/oa_add.pdf

http://www.thaiembdc.org/forms/medical_cer...a...ificate.pdf

Edited by JGregory

If they give you a multiple entry then you can make a border run right before the visa expires to get an additional year.

If they do not give you a multiple entry one, then you would need to get a re-entry permit in Thailand prior to leaving to keep your stay active.

If they give you a multiple entry then you can make a border run right before the visa expires to get an additional year.

If they do not give you a multiple entry one, then you would need to get a re-entry permit in Thailand prior to leaving to keep your stay active.

Thanks for your info. Do you know how I request a Multiple Entry for an O-A visa application here?

There is nothing about Multiple Entry on the Visa Application or the other documents.

Do you know how I request a Multiple Entry for an O-A visa application here?

There is nothing about Multiple Entry on the Visa Application or the other documents.

Is there a 'number of entries' field on the form, put 'multiple' in it.

It does seem a bit of a lottery as to whether you actually get the multi entry visa or not.

I just, last night, received my Non-Immigrant A-O multi Visa back from the Us Thai Embassy in New York. I expressed mailed it last Wednesday with a return express mail envelope.

Included:

-3 applications, 1 original and 2 photocopied with signatures, plus 6 photos.

-1 personal data form

-Criminal backround letter from the State Police and original fingerprint card

-Medical form downloaded from website and filled in from my doctor indicating I did not have Leprosy, Elephantiasis, stage three Syphilis nor Tuberculosis and otherwise in good medical health.

-Financial letter from my pension union, original pansion statement, and bank statements indicating direct -deposit amounts from January.

-A money order for $150 for multiple entry

Nothing was notorized.

Originals were obvious.

3 pictures were actually returned with my passport.

Nothing else was returned which kinda worries me.

Received it last night with a bright new shiny stamp that says

Non-Immigrant A-O (long stay) M

Bhudda was with me.

The only pain was the blood drawn for the medical.

Plan on converting to a retirement Visa in September.

Is there a 'number of entries' field on the form, put 'multiple' in it.

It does seem a bit of a lottery as to whether you actually get the multi entry visa or not.

That's just the problem. Nothing anywhere on the application form about multi entry options. Surprisingly the one page application is for all Visa types( check a box) and asks for only limited information. The Personal Data Form is where the critical information goes... but nothing there about multi-entry either.

I am 49.7yo so this is of interest to me!

Last time I picked up a TV at the Portland, Oregon Consulate (1/08) I spoke with the nice agent (Mary) about the Retirement "O." BTW, Portland can issue this visa. She provided a packet with forms and instructions.

She suggested that I do the medical in Thailand if I could ("not usually tested in America...Leprosy, Elephantiasis, stage three Syphilis, etc.").

I asked about the multi-entry and she said that I needed to take care of this in Thailand at Immigration.

No mention of notary stamps.

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE

121 SW Salmon Street, Suite #1430

Portland, Oregon U.S.A.

503-221-0440

http://www.thai-or.com/

OA is a retirement visa. You must mean that you plan on getting an extension of stay based on retirement.

To me this does not make sense. If you came now using your visa, you would be permitted to stay until next March. Why would you get an extension of stay when you would still have 7 months remaining on your permission to stay? Your visa will get you 1 year stays on each entry. You only need to come back in on the visa the day before it expires and they will give you a stay of another year. So you can effectively use the visa for two years, with a re-entry permit after the visa expires if you want to travel outside of thailand during the second year. Then you can put the money in the bank or show the pension to get the extension in Thailand.

OA is a retirement visa. You must mean that you plan on getting an extension of stay based on retirement.

To me this does not make sense. If you came now using your visa, you would be permitted to stay until next March. Why would you get an extension of stay when you would still have 7 months remaining on your permission to stay? Your visa will get you 1 year stays on each entry. You only need to come back in on the visa the day before it expires and they will give you a stay of another year. So you can effectively use the visa for two years, with a re-entry permit after the visa expires if you want to travel outside of thailand during the second year. Then you can put the money in the bank or show the pension to get the extension in Thailand.

Thanks so much for finally pointing out the obvious. My confusion over the "Multiple Entry" differences is now clear. The normal non-immigrant is a multiple entry but every leave/entry90 days. The O-A retirement visa is multiple entry every 12 months.

So, if I wait until day 361 of my first year... then fly out to Singapore overnight, then Thai Immigration at Suvarnabhumi will give me a new 1 year stamp when I re-enter on day 362.

Now it makes sense. That is what I inferred from the Embassy website regulations, but without being certain. It sure would be easier if it was just plainly stated.

Thanks again. That clears it up

Just make sure that it says it is a multi entry visa.

Do not base when you go for a border run on how long you have been in Thailand (but dont wait longer than your permitted to stay stamp either), base it on the expiration of the visa. You have to re-enter before the date that it expires. It is possible that if you get the visa a couple of months prior to coming to Thailand, that the visa would not be valid for a full year at that point, maybe only 10 months. So you would only stay 10 months of the 12 months that they would give you when you enter, and then make a border run prior to expiration of the visa, so you would really only get 22 months in that instance instead of a full two years.

Thanks so much for finally pointing out the obvious. My confusion over the "Multiple Entry" differences is now clear. The normal non-immigrant is a multiple entry but every leave/entry90 days. The O-A retirement visa is multiple entry every 12 months.

So, if I wait until day 361 of my first year... then fly out to Singapore overnight, then Thai Immigration at Suvarnabhumi will give me a new 1 year stamp when I re-enter on day 362.

Now it makes sense. That is what I inferred from the Embassy website regulations, but without being certain. It sure would be easier if it was just plainly stated.

Thanks again. That clears it up

You may have it wrong or are explaining it wrong. The multi entry non immigrant O-A visa allows unlimited entry/exit during the period it is valid (one year from issue). Each entry receives a one year permitted to stay stamp (which ends if you exit the country). You seem to say you can use it every 12 month (forever?) - and that is not true. You can only do it the one time (to get the almost one extra year) - and any exit of the country after the visa expires will require a re-entry permit to keep the current one year stay alive. Near the end of the stay you visit Immigration and apply for a one year extension of stay and do that each year.

It also seems you may believe all non immigrant visas are multi entry - not true. You have to request a multi entry visa and you do it on the application as printed in red in the image by Maestro above.

Is my assumption that NO Thai bank account is required for One Year until the Extension of Stay correct..
At least three months prior to extension of stay if using bank deposit method - if using income/pension there is no such requirement.

OK, this is Streetlite again, the one who has sucessfully garnered the A-O multi but now I am confused by some of the replies after my submission.

Are you saying that the A-O multi is the exact same as the retirement Visa?

I thought, and I'm sure read, that only in Thailand could this retirement Visa be obtained and only after acquiring the long stay Visa from your home country. I did not think that the USA Embassy could issue such a "retirement" Visa.

Also, are you saying that I can keep renewing this A-O Visa every year by leaving and arriving just prior to expiration?

Do I have the responsibility of 90 day reporting with the A-O Visa? If so, do I have to report to Nakhon Sawam which is the Province I have indicated on my application.

So mant additional questions arise here.

Thanks, everyone.

You may have it wrong or are explaining it wrong. The multi entry non immigrant O-A visa allows unlimited entry/exit during the period it is valid (one year from issue). Each entry receives a one year permitted to stay stamp (which ends if you exit the country). You seem to say you can use it every 12 month (forever?) - and that is not true. You can only do it the one time (to get the almost one extra year) - and any exit of the country after the visa expires will require a re-entry permit to keep the current one year stay alive. Near the end of the stay you visit Immigration and apply for a one year extension of stay and do that each year.

Firstly, my sincere thanks and appreciation to everyone.

lopburi3 - I was explaining it wrongly, mostly. The relationship for the different visa types has finally snapped into place. The confusion seems to nail most of us newbies, because at first you see loads of info about the Non Immigrant Visa... and later we realize that this Visa comes in different 'flavors'.

Most of the forum posts seem to hit on visa runs every 90 days. So that creates the confusion for newbies when looking at the O-A, which is, as you succintly state in your Posts:

* Non-Immigrant O-A Visa = One Year long stay. Request Multiple entries and one can travel out of the Kingdom as you wish during that One year stay, but you can stay in-country the entire time by reporting to Immigation every 90 days.

As lopburi3 stated: "multi entry non immigrant O-A visa allows unlimited entry/exit during the period it is valid (one year from issue)."

* Non-Immigrant O-A Visa is also colloquially known as, a "Retirement Visa". Also known officially at Thai Embassy as "Residence Permit in the case of Retirement for Person who is 50 years or Over "

* O-A has the "Possibility" to extend for another year if application for "Extension" is done just before the expiration of the first year. If done within the Kingdom, then you must have "proof of income letters" OR a Thai bank account containing at least 800k Baht for a full 90 days prior to the application for "Extension" which is not a second Visa, rather it is an Extension to Stay.

* "Extension of Stay" is not another Visa, it is only an extension granted on an approved O-A visa. Extensions are granted only by Thai Immigration. But the original O-A visa can only be acquired from one's home country.

* Original O-A application from one's home country requires a police clearance certificate, a Medical Certificate, and proof of income determine by either/or... Letters stating monthly income or funds in your home country bank account equivalent to 800k Baht.

* After receiving the stamp in your passport for O-A Multiple entry, you have a long stay permit that is good for up to one year from the "Date of the O-A Stamp in passport" but not one year from your first entry into the Kingdom.

* There is a possibility with a Multiple Entry O-A visa stamp to leave Thailand and get a one year "Extension to stay" without the financial requirements of Letter or Thai Bank account. Thai immigration will grant this extension as you re-enter the country. You should leave just prior to the expiration meaning the original "Date of the O-A Stamp in passport"

I believe the gentleman above you acquired his O-A visa from the Thai Houston Consulate was using an official Thai consulate. If there is only an "honorary consulate" as it was in my case in Denver, then they cannot issue the O-A visa.

I have a question on that... did you make your application by Express mail to the Houston Consulate, or did you visit in person?

* There is advice I've seen about acquiring a retiree's resident permit from inside the Kingdom by application to Thai immigration in BKK. That is another issue outside of what I've written, as I've chosen to take the "home country" route. Seems much easier to me.

As a wrapup, the endgame gives all Retirees on an O-A visa, a somewhat better option than some others, but it still is not a license for permanent residences. Since annual renewal will always be in the process.

Again, many thanks to all of you participating in this thread. Most helpful and much appreciated.

Unbelievably, the first PDF file I had for the visa application did not have the line for multiple entries. I got that months ago from an independent website. So there's another lesson. Get only the official documents from the Thai authoritiy websites.

Thanks guys!

Edited by JGregory

OK, this is Streetlite again, the one who has sucessfully garnered the A-O multi but now I am confused by some of the replies after my submission.

I thought, and I'm sure read, that only in Thailand could this retirement Visa be obtained and only after acquiring the long stay Visa from your home country. I did not think that the USA Embassy could issue such a "retirement" Visa.

Also, are you saying that I can keep renewing this A-O Visa every year by leaving and arriving just prior to expiration?

Do I have the responsibility of 90 day reporting with the A-O Visa? If so, do I have to report to Nakhon Sawam which is the Province I have indicated on my application.

Thanks, everyone.

JG seems to have it down now except perhaps for "residence" as that is another subject. The way you extend your stay in Thailand for retirement is submit a TM.7, financial papers, passport, departure card, 4x6cm photo and 1,900 baht. Not hard at all.

The O-A is a long stay visa issued in your home country - normally called a retirement visa. But when it first became available it was single entry only and many people lost there one year stay by exiting the country not knowing that had to obtain a re-entry permit. Then the multi entry became common to avoid this - but this allows an extra years stay if worked right. The only difference (other than the cost) is single entry is one entry/one year stay. Multi is unlimited number of one year entry during one year validity of visa.

The US Embassy does not issue Thai visas - but they do certify your income when you want to apply for one year extension of stay for retirement. This is issued by Immigration inside Thailand and must be from a non immigrant visa (but the visa can also be issued by Immigration if you don't have one).

No you do not renew O-A visa but you can get almost two years out of it as explained above. Once that time is over you apply for extensions of stay from Immigration using TM.7

Any time you stay 90 days in Thailand you must report your address using TM.47 form. That can be done by mail to Bangkok.

f you get a single-entry Non Immigrant O-A visa, then you only have permission to stay for 90 days.

Not true. A single entry non immigrant O-A provides a one year stamp on arrival. But you can not leave without a re-entry permit and that permit will only provide the same stamp date on return.

You are thinking about a non immigrant O visa, which provides the 90 day stay which can be extended by Immigration.

JG seems to have it down now except perhaps for "residence" as that is another subject. The way you extend your stay in Thailand for retirement is submit a TM.7, financial papers, passport, departure card, 4x6cm photo and 1,900 baht. Not hard at all.

One last question(hopefully)

"financial papers": Can this be the OR option with only the Seasoned Thai bank account for financial requirment? Is that correct, or is the letter with "Proof of monthly income" also required at the time of applying with the TM.7

"financial papers": Can this be the OR option with only the Seasoned Thai bank account for financial requirment? Is that correct, or is the letter with "Proof of monthly income" also required at the time of applying with the TM.7

Letter from bank with your 800.000 Baht balance OR Letter from your Embassy with your 65,000 Baht a month Income. OR a combination of both.

Edited by Lite Beer

Letter from bank with your 800.000 Baht balance OR Letter from your Embassy with your 65,000 Baht a month Income. OR a combination of both.

Thanks. My understanding stays on track with that one. Forgive me for so many questions, but the vocabulary is slippery with all this.

Lopburi summed it up, but what is a "departure card"?

And where does one obtain the TM.7 form?

The remaining half of the arrival card you receive and fill out on every entry into Thailand, and which is stapled into your passport.

You can receive in any Immigration office or you can download from there websites or from the link under useful information at the top of this forum. You print it one both sides of an A4 paper.

please correct me but should the amount of 800.000 bath have to be on an acount on a THAI bank IN Thailand ?,3 months previous of the request for a O-A visa at a Thai Ambassy or consulate at ones home country ????

...should the amount of 800.000 bath have to be on an acount on a THAI bank IN Thailand ?.,3 months previous of the request for a O-A visa at a Thai Ambassy or consulate at ones home country ????

No. For an application for a non-O-A visa, the money can be anywhere in the world. It is for the application for extension in Thailand that the money has to be in a bank in Thailand for 3 months before the application.

--

Maestro

For O-A visa, only issued in home country, the money can be in home country bank account.

When application for extension of stay is made in Thailand the money must be in a bank located in Thailand for the previous three months at or above the required level.

I have gotten an O-A Visa the past two years by mail from the Los Angeles Consulate, I provide a bank statement and "letter of guarantee" from my bank, a medical certificate from my US doctor, a copy of my criminal record, these are taken to a notary, He makes a photo copy and I swear they are true copies, then makes three more photo copies of the notorized copy. LA requires four photos and four application forms, and extended stay forms, so four of everything. It says right on their website "SINGLE ENTRY ONLY." Now it is $60. The Embassy website also states single entry only, so I don't know where these folks are getting muti entries other than in Thailand. It doesn't really bother me, I need to come back to the US for a few months every year to file taxes and make a bit of money as well as see family and friends. A multiple would be nice, but I see nowhere in the USA you can apply for one...

Edited by Jimi007

I have gotten an O-A Visa the past two years by mail from the Los Angeles Consulate, I provide a bank statement and "letter of guarantee" from my bank, a medical certificate from my US doctor, a copy of my criminal record, these are taken to a notary, He makes a photo copy and I swear they are true copies, then makes three more photo copies of the notorized copy. LA requires four photos and four application forms, and extended stay forms, so four of everything. It says right on their website "SINGLE ENTRY ONLY." Now it is $60. The Embassy website also states single entry only, so I don't know where these folks are getting muti entries other than in Thailand. It doesn't really bother me, I need to come back to the US for a few months every year to file taxes and make a bit of money as well as see family and friends. A multiple would be nice, but I see nowhere in the USA you can apply for one...

Actually I looked again at the Washington DC Embassy website and it doesn't say single entry only. But it says the price of a single entry will go up to $65 and mutiple $175 as of April 1, 2008. I just wrote an email to the Oregon Consulate to see if they could explain to me if or where I can apply for the multi entry O-A visa. I am awaiting a reponse.

Edited by Jimi007

Thanks, everyone.

The O-A is a long stay visa issued in your home country - normally called a retirement visa. But when it first became available it was single entry only and many people lost there one year stay by exiting the country not knowing that had to obtain a re-entry permit. Then the multi entry became common to avoid this - but this allows an extra years stay if worked right. The only difference (other than the cost) is single entry is one entry/one year stay. Multi is unlimited number of one year entry during one year validity of visa.

The US Embassy does not issue Thai visas - but they do certify your income when you want to apply for one year extension of stay for retirement. This is issued by Immigration inside Thailand and must be from a non immigrant visa (but the visa can also be issued by Immigration if you don't have one).

No you do not renew O-A visa but you can get almost two years out of it as explained above. Once that time is over you apply for extensions of stay from Immigration using TM.7

Any time you stay 90 days in Thailand you must report your address using TM.47 form. That can be done by mail to Bangkok.

The USA system and the British system appears to be different, if in fact what Lopburi3 states is correct, and I do not doubt that it is.

The following is copied and pasted directly from the latest - online explanitory document - from the website of the Thai Embassy in Hull, UK.

"Having made the decision to retire in Thailand and having obtained/completed all the necessary documents,

it is necessary to apply to the Royal Thai Consulate for a Non-Immigrant Category “O” Visa – see pages 3/10

to 6/10. This visa will enable the person to gain entry to Thailand so they can go through the process of

applying for the retirement status. Furthermore, because the “O-A” Retirement Visa allows a continuous

stay of up to twelve months but does not allow that person to (having exited) re-enter Thailand we advise

obtaining the Non-Immigrant Category “O” Multiple Entry Visa. This visa entitles the holder to exit and

re-enter Thailand at will, incurring no extra fees."

this is saying that an "O-A" retirement visa can only be issued in Thailand!