Thai Bank Account For Retirement O-a Visa Application From Usa

And Hull is wrong and is not the Embassy (which is in London). An O-A visa can only be issued outside of Thailand and inside Thailand extensions of stay are issued or a single entry O visa to be extended later. The O-A means that advance approval has been granted for a one year permitted to stay stamp on entry into Thailand. In the UK only London issues this type of visa from my understanding.

Doing it the Hull way is arriving with a non immigrant O visa entry for 90 days and then you go to Immigration during the last 30 days to apply for an extension of stay for one year. Once you obtain an extension of stay you will lose it if you enter on a visa rather than a re-entry permit so buying a multi entry non immigrant visa is not good advise for most people. In fact a visa (that allows extension of stay) can be obtained in Thailand at an extra cost of 2,000 baht for those that meet financial/age requirements for retirement.

And Hull is wrong and is not the Embassy (which is in London). An O-A visa can only be issued outside of Thailand and inside Thailand extensions of stay are issued or a single entry O visa to be extended later. The O-A means that advance approval has been granted for a one year permitted to stay stamp on entry into Thailand. In the UK only London issues this type of visa from my understanding.

Doing it the Hull way is arriving with a non immigrant O visa entry for 90 days and then you go to Immigration during the last 30 days to apply for an extension of stay for one year. Once you obtain an extension of stay you will lose it if you enter on a visa rather than a re-entry permit so buying a multi entry non immigrant visa is not good advise for most people. In fact a visa (that allows extension of stay) can be obtained in Thailand at an extra cost of 2,000 baht for those that meet financial/age requirements for retirement.

I stand corrected. Hull is a Consulate not an Embassy!

However, your reply prompted further investigation, which reveals, that at present Consulates in UK are not authorised to issue the special NON-IMMIGRANT category 0-A Visas but once the working of the current system is established, the position could be reviewed. which makes the Hull web document correct, as far as Consulates (and postal applications) are concerned.

At the present time the appropriate Visa “NON-IMMIGRANT” CAT “O-A” can only be obtained through personal application (i.e. not by post) to the Royal Thai Embassy, 30, Queen’s Gate, London S.W.7 or the Office of the Immigration Bureau, Section 1, Sub Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 0120. Tel 0066-228/3101-10 Ext.2236.

Both paragraphs are taken from Thai UK Consulate websites!

And sorry to have to say this but you are in error! an OA visa can be issued inside of Thailand. and was - to me!

Also I think it should be mentioned, to enlighten those members that are intending to be new retirees, that a retirement visa actually has the word "Retirement" stamped into the passport and is not merely "colloquially Known as a retirement Visa"

albymush, the Thai consulate in Hull and you make the same mistake that quite a number of ThaiVisa members have made before you: Hull uses “O-A retirement visa “and you use “retirement visa” to refer to the annual extension of stay for the reason of retirement, obtainable at an immigration office in Thailand. Therefore, both Hull and you are wrong, Lopburi is right.

O-A visa: available only from Thai embassies and selected Thai consulates.

Retirement extension, by some people erroneously called retirement visa: available only from immigration offices in Thailand.

These are the facts.

--

Maestro

albymush, the Thai consulate in Hull and you make the same mistake that quite a number of ThaiVisa members have made before you: Hull uses “O-A retirement visa “and you use “retirement visa” to refer to the annual extension of stay for the reason of retirement, obtainable at an immigration office in Thailand. Therefore, both Hull and you are wrong, Lopburi is right.

Retirement extension, by some people erroneously called retirement visa: available only from immigration offices in Thailand.

These are the facts.

--

Maestro

I stand corrected again Maestro! Strictly speaking I should not have used the term "visa" when referring to the 12 month extension of stay for retirement purposes!

The Hull Consulate however was and is correct.

One fact that is irrefutable however - is that I entered Thailand on a Visa Exemption permit to stay. After 13 days I was issued a category "O" VISA (valid for one day), and then I had an 12 month extension with "RETIREMENT" stamped on it, which I collected the next day

Edited by albymush

These are the facts.

--

Maestro

I stand corrected again Maestro! Strictly speaking I should not have used the term "visa" when referring to the 12 month extension of stay for retirement purposes!

The Hull Consulate however was and is correct.

One fact that is irrefutable however - is that I entered Thailand on a Visa Exemption permit to stay. After 13 days I was issued a category "O" VISA (valid for one day), and then I had an 12 month extension with "RETIREMENT" stamped on it, which I collected the next day

No one is disputing this as people do this all the time.

It is a Twelve Month Extension Of Stay based on Retirement.

It is not an O-A Visa.

No one is disputing this as people do this all the time.

It is a Twelve Month Extension Of Stay based on Retirement.

It is not an O-A Visa.

OK! so now let me see if I now have this right

1) An O-A visa is issued only by a Thai Embassy, and certain Consulates, in your own country.

2) An O-A visa is also known as a "long stay visa" and is also unofficially referred to as a retirement visa!

3) An O-A visa comes in Single entry or Multiple entry flavours, valid for 12 months.

4) The Multiple entry visa can be managed in such a way as to be effective for almost 2 years

5) Just prior to the final expiry of the O-A visa, if one has the age, the credentials and the wherewithal, all duly accredited and within the time constraints, one applies for an extension of stay for reasons of retirement.

6) An extension of stay for the purpose of retirement is not an O-A visa (or indeed a visa of any kind)

OK! so now let me see if I now have this right

1) An O-A visa is issued only by a Thai Embassy, and certain Consulates, in your own country.

2) An O-A visa is also known as a "long stay visa" and is also unofficially referred to as a retirement visa!

3) An O-A visa comes in Single entry or Multiple entry flavours, valid for 12 months.

4) The Multiple entry visa can be managed in such a way as to be effective for almost 2 years

5) Just prior to the final expiry of the O-A visa, if one has the age, the credentials and the wherewithal, all duly accredited and within the time constraints, one applies for an extension of stay for reasons of retirement.

6) An extension of stay for the purpose of retirement is not an O-A visa (or indeed a visa of any kind)

Almost right, except for number 5) - if you mean the "final expiry" of the non O-A visa = (almost) 2 years.

The original visa expires after 12 months. The second period of 12 months is on a permitted to stay stamp, not a visa. It is at the end of that permitted to stay period that you need to apply for an extension of stay for reasons of retirement.

I believe the gentleman above you acquired his O-A visa from the Thai Houston Consulate was using an official Thai consulate. If there is only an "honorary consulate" as it was in my case in Denver, then they cannot issue the O-A visa.

Houston is, indeed, an 'honorary' consulate. And unlike Denver, they do issue O-A visas. I asked Houston directly last year about this -- after reading where Denver no longer issued O-As -- and was told that "they had received no guidance against issuing O-A visas." I don't know what other honorary consulates in the US issue O-As. All of Britain's honorary consulates no longer do -- but one or more in Australia are still in the business.

A multiple would be nice, but I see nowhere in the USA you can apply for one...

Again, Houston. (Which, historically at least, also didn't require notarization.)

Hull's misinformation about obtaining an O-A visa in Thailand stems from misinformation from the Thai MFA, which wrongly believes they can be obtained at the Suan Plu Immigration office.

See here:MFA's O-A Guidance

I guess even the MFA morphs an extended Non Imm 'O' visa into a Non Imm 'O-A' variant. Not too helpful when trying to navigate definitions.

And yes, the LA Consulate is emphatic about issuing only single entry O-As. This is a fairly recent stated requirement on their website (LA Consulate). I guess they'd been reading Thaivisa about the 2-year quirk with multi-entry visas....

Hi All,

I started this Topic a few days back and I've glad it's garnered so much attention. I'm still in the US and finalising all my plans to arrive in late Spring. I've got a new angle to share that everyone should consider at the close.

Lessons I've Learned So Far

Firstly, for all newbies listening... the forum members I've found to speak with genuine authority and real-world experience are lopburi3, maestro, Lite Beer, and JackSprat. Not to say others aren't just as knowledgeable, but these Gentlemen prove time and again to have the facts. These guys have my deepest respect and appreciation... for devoting their time and talent in this Topic to helping me navigate the tricky waters of long-term residency in Thailand.

There's another lesson. Watch out for the vocabulary. It's best to start with the notion that you are seeking "Long Term Residency in Thailand" and don't get locked into your assumptions about words and their assumed meanings when confronted with "Retirement Visa" and O visa and O-A visa.

Even "Long-Term" is slippery. In the end, any stable government is happy to have foreigners come in and spend their money sent from another country. Always good for an ecomomy. But residency is another matter beyond tourism, as it carries all sorts of potential risks for the host country.

This forum Topic is about using the Retirement option available to those over 50, and with sufficient financial capability to meet the Thai Immigration standards for behavior and supporting yourself with funds sent from outside the Kingdom.

A Visa only gets you here in-country. Visas come is all sorts of flavors. If you're after long-term residency that's another matter already explained very well by the experts above. That seems to be the trickiest bit to get straight for newbies.

Anyway, it's clear to me now, that I will be good on a year-to-year basis, as long as I continue to comply and the government is stable. I looked at every option available to me, and this option was the cream that rose to the top. I know 7 year residents in BKK with families that are switching to this "retirement" option for residency compliance.

If you compare the requirements from the USA, or the UK, for those seeking long-term residency... this is a walk in the park. So stick with it, and we might all become one of the priveleged few to live in a beautiful land with such a wonderful culture and people. I certainly consider it a privilege and keep my humility close at hand when dealing with all the issues necessary to get here and stay here. Mai pen rai.

Here's the new bit from last week for me... I double-checked every fact and detail I have garnered whilst preparing my Multiple Entry application to apply for my 1 year O-A visa before departure from the USA. Then something jumped out at me!

My passport expires in 21 months. Take the time machine with me to April 2009, when I, a happy camper living the good life... visit Thai Immigration in Pattaya for my Retirement Extension... and my passport would not have the necessary 18 months validity to get approved for a 12 month Retirement Extension!

I don't even want to know the hassles and expense that would entail! I saw myself thru time, shuttling off to BKK and the US Embassy… to get a rewewal passport which would not contain all my stamps and departure card... and then explaining all that on the follow-on visit to Thai Immigration.

So, before my application goes off to the Thai Embassy in the US. I go through another 3 to 4 week process getting my US Passport renewed prior to making application for the O-A visa. I’ve got the time.

My Best to everyone seeking Long Term residency,

J Gregory

So, before my application goes off to the Thai Embassy in the US.

Still, based on what's been discussed here, it sounds like this might be a crap shoot as to whether you'll get a multiple entry O-A visa, or not. Will you be sending in: $60 ($65 after 1 Apr), or $150 ($175 after 1 Apr)? Doing the latter *may* get you your multi entry visa. But without confirmation from the Thai Embassy ahead of time, I'd be suspect. They may just take your money (I once paid full-fare for a multi-entry visa from them -- and only got 6-months, and no refund).

I now have my Medical Certificate, Police Clearance, and US Bank Statements and letter of guarantee. All must be certified by a Notary Seal.

If you've gotten the notarization hurdle out of the way, then the Thai Embassy route may be just fine -- aside from my point in the paragraph above. If not, just how have you (or will you) have these documents "notarized?" By definition, a notary would witness the signature of: the cop, the banker, and the doctor. Not really practical, I would say. So, just what does the Embassy suggest you do (or have done) to "certify" these documents?

If some of the above seems problem prone, I return to a well-worn suggestion: Houston. Julie Richardson is the Honorary Vice Consul, and her assistant is Michele Aquilera. Phone: (713) 229-0636, ext 1101 or email: [email protected]. As others have pointed out -- and what I know from hands-on -- this is a quality outfit. Plus, there's no language barrier -- they're Americans -- and no bureaucratic crap. I live in DC, when I'm not in Thailand. And the Thai Embassy is the last place I'd go for a visa (well, maybe after LA).

Take the time machine with me to April 2009, when I, a happy camper living the good life... visit Thai Immigration in Pattaya for my Retirement Extension..
I double-checked every fact and detail I have garnered whilst preparing my Multiple Entry application

JG,

Your point about passport expiration is well-taken. And your getting a new one well ahead of expiration is wise.

But, if your quest is successful in getting a "Multiple Entry" O-A visa, why would you be going to Pattaya in April 2009 for a Retirement Extension? Instead, you should be heading for a mini vacation abroad in this time frame, permitting a new, one-year 'permitted to stay' stamp upon return to Thailand. Pattaya would then not loom until April of 2010, or there abouts.

Only if you get the single entry O-A variant from the Thai Embassy will April 2009 be a Pattaya Immigration moment.

Take the time machine with me to April 2009, when I, a happy camper living the good life... visit Thai Immigration in Pattaya for my Retirement Extension..

But, if your quest is successful in getting a "Multiple Entry" O-A visa, why would you be going to Pattaya in April 2009 for a Retirement Extension?

Point taken on that one above. You are correct. I will do exactly as you said, but my statement about April 2009 was to point out the renewal issue I faced with my passport. Saying it any other way, would likely confuse more people with a new issue.

Re: Houston consulate - all correct according to my info. Have to talked to someone who got a Multiple Entry back in Feb. 2008. He sent $75 and they called him to suggest he get multiple so he sent more money anad did get Multiple.

I will phone both the DC Embassy and Houston prior to sending out the application. The situation can change at any time at any particular location.

Re: Notarized documents - My police certificate comes notarized from the agency. I asked the

Doctors office to do it,they have a Notary on staff. Same deal at the bank with statements and bank manager's letter. All banks have a notary on hand. I would say this is preferred method.

The only other way is to take your papers to an independent Notary... ask them to view originals, make photocopies and then write and certify on the copies that She/He has seen and verified the originals. That usually works in most cases.

My long experience with requirements for Notarization indicate that the Seal imprint itself is all that end-users look for anyway. That makes is "Official" in the eyes of most everyone. The rest they don't even read.

I recommend always getting the original method if possible. BTW, Houston has not said anything about notaries. But I'd bet they require it too.

Edited by JGregory

• 2 months later...
I have gotten an O-A Visa the past two years by mail from the Los Angeles Consulate, I provide a bank statement and "letter of guarantee" from my bank, a medical certificate from my US doctor, a copy of my criminal record, these are taken to a notary, He makes a photo copy and I swear they are true copies, then makes three more photo copies of the notorized copy. LA requires four photos and four application forms, and extended stay forms, so four of everything. It says right on their website "SINGLE ENTRY ONLY." Now it is $60. The Embassy website also states single entry only, so I don't know where these folks are getting muti entries other than in Thailand. It doesn't really bother me, I need to come back to the US for a few months every year to file taxes and make a bit of money as well as see family and friends. A multiple would be nice, but I see nowhere in the USA you can apply for one...

Jimi007 - precisely what did the "letter of guarantee" from your bank say, please? I shall need a similar letter from my UK bank when applying for an O-A visa from the Thai Embassy in London