New Taxi Cabs Appearing In Pattaya

khunyae

Has anybody here tried using the taxi cabs that are now appearing around Pattaya, usually parked on Second Road in front of the new "The Avenue" shopping center. They usually park amonst baht-buses and drivers all seem very friendly.

IMHO Pattaya has needed air-conditioned taxi-meter cabs for a long time. The baht-buses are OK occasionally, but in hot or wet weather I would prefer more comfort. Then of course, for older or more affluent people that Thailand is reported to be trying to attract then the baht-buses are completely unsuitable.

I understand that taxis were not allowed under local law here in Chonburi Province, and that the Baht-Bus Association was strong enough to maintain their transportation monopoly. So has the law been changed to allow taxis?

Yes they only charge a little more then Bangkok taxi's..

About 200 Baht on a 10 minute drive :cheese:

If i was a cab driver, driving people around for that kind of money i would be very friendly as well!

Yes really big money (not) maybe you should head to the UK and get a black cab license they get double that when someone opens the door and they don't smile.

Really has nowt to do with the UK.

Naka.

If it doesn't mean anything to you ignore it, it has plenty to do with the UK when you fly home and have to get a taxi into town, complaining about 200 baht pales into insignificance

you enter a taxi at Frankfurt Airport. driver starts the engine and switches on the meter = €UR 4.50 = 216 Baht. then he asks "destination?".

Report are they don't use the meters. The last time I tried, I asked 3 of 4 the same day to use the meter. None did. Any more recent reports? They have signage that says TAXI METER and they have spanking new working meters, but it is all a show. The taxis are OWNED by the baht bus MAFIA. Get the picture now?

The price of taxis in the UK is a complete non-argument when discussing the price of taxis in Pattaya but as you mention it the last time I took a 10 minute taxi drive in a provincial city in the UK the cost was under £5 (300 baht). Is it fair that the price is so similar given the massive difference in average wages and the cost of living? Of course not! There's no reason for Pattaya taxis to be charging more than Bangkok taxis.

BTW there's a very long thread on exactly this subject that was going on a couple of months ago.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=151414

Just don't get Jingthing started again.

Report are they don't use the meters. The last time I tried, I asked 3 of 4 the same day to use the meter. None did. Any more recent reports? They have signage that says TAXI METER and they have spanking new working meters, but it is all a show. The taxis are OWNED by the baht bus MAFIA. Get the picture now?

No meters no grapenuts what is life coming to. You will be complaining next that the price of KY has gone up!

The price of taxis in the UK is a complete non-argument when discussing the price of taxis in Pattaya but as you mention it the last time I took a 10 minute taxi drive in a provincial city in the UK the cost was under £5 (300 baht). Is it fair that the price is so similar given the massive difference in average wages and the cost of living? Of course not! There's no reason for Pattaya taxis to be charging more than Bangkok taxis.

BTW there's a very long thread on exactly this subject that was going on a couple of months ago.

I think I stated London black cabs and it is relevant if you have to use one. Do you not think your UK provincial cab driver would not charge more if he could get away with it? of course he would and so do the cab drivers here because the market allows it and all of your complaining will not change a thing.

Naka.

If it doesn't mean anything to you ignore it, it has plenty to do with the UK when you fly home and have to get a taxi into town, complaining about 200 baht pales into insignificance

I Understand and I am sad sad sad for you! That being said, Thailand is home for many of us and of the rest most do not live in Blighty ... so .. about the taxis in Thailand; care to contribute?

I think I stated London black cabs and it is relevant if you have to use one. Do you not think your UK provincial cab driver would not charge more if he could get away with it? of course he would and so do the cab drivers here because the market allows it and all of your complaining will not change a thing.

No "the market" doesn't allow it at all. It's part of a price fixing racket. You clearly know very little about Pattaya or Thailand if you think taxi prices are determined by "the market".

Naka.

I Understand and I am sad sad sad for you! That being said, Thailand is home for many of us and of the rest most do not live in Blighty ... so .. about the taxis in Thailand; care to contribute?

Me included, if you can't afford a 200 baht taxi here then don't use one get on a baht bus and pay 10 baht, No need to feel sorry for me I am not complaining about the cost of a cab in the UK merely putting things in perspective.

No .. Perspective would be .. say .. comparing somewhere in Thailand to .. well, somewhere else in Thailand. Like saying 200 baht? Dayum that same ride in Bangkok would be a 35 baht flag-pull and then 20 more baht for distance!

That is perspective. Your example was just tripe :o

No "the market" doesn't allow it at all. It's part of a price fixing racket. You clearly know very little about Pattaya or Thailand if you think taxi prices are determined by "the market".

And you understand very little about market economics if people don't pay it then they will stop charging it however there are enough people here (the market) (me included) who will pay it hence the market allows it

No .. Perspective would be .. say .. comparing somewhere in Thailand to .. well, somewhere else in Thailand. Like saying 200 baht? Dayum that same ride in Bangkok would be a 35 baht flag-pull and then 20 more baht for distance!

An opinion, you are welcome to yours, we all have one :D I respect all opinions even those I do not agree with even when they come from cheap charlies.

And you understand very little about market economics if people don't pay it then they will stop charging it however there are enough people here (the market) (me included) who will pay it hence the market allows it

Prices that are fixed by a violent cartel are not determined by the market. You obviously love being ripped off.

No meters no grapenuts what is life coming to. You will be complaining next that the price of KY has gone up!

KY is so last century.

An opinion, you are welcome to yours, we all have one :D I respect all opinions even those I do not agree with even when they come from cheap charlies.

You're not the brightest bunny are you? If you pay 200 baht for a 50 baht taxi ride twice a day for a year then you're being scammed for over 100,000 baht. If you can't see why a fair transport system would be in everyone's interest then you have very little to contribute to an intelligent discussion.

LOL .. i have a motorcycle and "We" have a car and I have the apporpriate licensure for both. Again comparing taxi-fares in Thailand to taxi fares in London is specious and you know it :D

Please, lets compare taxis in Pattaya to taxis in BANGKOK, not London.

This isn't just for my convenience, this is how the Pattaya taxi mafia drivers see it.

When I tried for the meter, one of them said THIS IS NOT LIKE BANGKOK!

That is what we want it to be like, BANGKOK. London might as well be Mars.

That is perspective. Your example was just tripe :D

LOL .. i have a motorcycle and "We" have a car and I have the apporpriate licensure for both. Again comparing taxi-fares in Thailand to taxi fares in London is specious and you know it :D

I also drive so I should have said "would" be willing to pay rather tham "am" willing to pay as I actually have no need to use one either, but as I said if no one paid the amount they asked then they would not be able to charge it, in the same manner a Black cab would not be able to charge you 500 baht for opening the door, they only do it because people are willing to pay it, the market supports it!

I'l leave the thread to jing now so that he can tell us for the next 6 months how bad these taxis and baht busses are. :o

You're not the brightest bunny are you? If you pay 200 baht for a 50 baht taxi ride twice a day for a year then you're being scammed for over 100,000 baht. If you can't see why a fair transport system would be in everyone's interest then you have very little to contribute to an intelligent discussion.

Only if I could actually get it for 50 baht, you are not in BKK and the price in Pattaya is not 50 baht it is 200 baht if you don't like it don't pay it you will not change it while there are people willing to pay it. And in this 5 star resort ( I stole that from another thread ) there will always be tourists willing to pay it along with the ocasional expat who does not feel hard done by spending 200 baht for an airconitioned taxi.

If you feel so strongly petition city hall or demonstrate outside the Avenues, I wonder if you have the courage of your convictions or if you just like venting on a forum that will change absolutely nothing.

KY is so last century.

Really? enlighten me I am intrigued what is this century, or maybe fair use means its no longer required?

KY is so last century.

Really? enlighten me I am intrigued what is this century, or maybe fair use means its no longer required?

I know this is the Pattaya forum but I do feel a detailed discussion about the fashion trends of sexual lubricants is just a wee bit off topic.

KY is so last century.

I know this is the Pattaya forum but I do feel a detailed discussion about the fashion trends of sexual lubricants is just a wee bit off topic.

Touché :o

Edited by chanman