Us Passports Produced In Thailand.

jstumbo

I was just reading that the new US passports that contain the RFID chips are partly produced in Thailand. The chips are installed into the covers in Europe, then they are sent to Thailand to have the antenna installed. This work is done at a factory that has stated that they have been the victim of Chinese espionage.

How secure can this really be?

A link to the story.

I am not worried about the security, but I am very curious about what exactly happens when an American applies for a new passport at the Bangkok embassy. Does this mean we get our new passports more quickly?

Edited by Jingthing

...Does this mean we get our new passports more quickly?

I don't think so. The embassy cannot issue passports. They send your application back to Washington and the State Department issues the passport and returns it to the embassy. Last time took me about 2 weeks.

rgds

I don't think so. The embassy cannot issue passports. They send your application back to Washington and the State Department issues the passport and returns it to the embassy. Last time took me about 2 weeks.

Yep...been that way for a few years now. Still allot faster than applying in the States though...and the lines at the passport offices back home...don't even want to think about it!

It took about 10 days for me to get my new Canadian passport from the Embassy in Bangkok in 2005. I'm not sure if they actually sent the p/p from Canada though, because the ones from home are machine-readable, and the one I got from the Embassy is specifically marked "not machine readable".

It still has the fancy laminated coating on the face page, but also notes that it was issued in Bangkok. Never thought to ask where it was actually made though.

I figured if it had been made up in Canada, it should have been "machine-readable".

Still a much more pleasant experience overall than when I had to go through the process back in Canada (no lines, no grumpy civil servants that are P.O'd at everyone that can afford to go on holidays. No snooty SoBs giving me attitude despite my being born and raised in Canada, and having served 22 years in uniform). :o

I feel sorry for you guys and gals from that part of the world

we here in aussie just walk in to a post office and it is all over in ten minutes

and told to enjoy your trip

but we are gradully catching up to you so I suppose it will change because big brother said so