1 Day Overstay

Hi,

I have a ticket to L.A on may 3rd at 8am, but my visa exempt stamp indicates I can only stay until may 2nd.

Should I go to the immigration office now ? I was told that there was no fine for a 1 day overstay... but I want to be absolutly clear: I'd rather "surrender" at the immigration office, than wait 'til I get to the immig at the airport... Will they stamp smething in my passeport saying that I overstayed ? and will it make it harder to get a visa after day ?

Thanks for your answsers

Kev

What MF says is absolutely correct, you're leaving by air so no problem, no fine, you may or may not get an 'overstay' stamp (reports vary for one day). Make sure you get to the airport in plenty of time, there may be a queue.

Currently there have been no reports of any issues getting visas or coming back on a 30 day exemption after even a massive overstay, of course, we can't predict what will happen in the future.

Edited by Crossy

Hi,

I have a ticket to L.A on may 3rd at 8am, but my visa exempt stamp indicates I can only stay until may 2nd.

Should I go to the immigration office now ? I was told that there was no fine for a 1 day overstay... but I want to be absolutly clear: I'd rather "surrender" at the immigration office, than wait 'til I get to the immig at the airport... Will they stamp smething in my passeport saying that I overstayed ? and will it make it harder to get a visa after day ?

Thanks for your answsers

Kev

Be aware that there is always a risk of being caught on overstay before you leave. This will result in your arrest and you'll probably miss your flight while you're sorting things out with the immigration authorities.

If you're the nervous type and not willing to take the risk, get an extension.

Thank you very much all...

I don't beleive there's so much risk I get "caught" as my stamp expires on the 2nd, I'll sleep at an hotel near the airport on that night, and I flight the following day at 8am... I'll clear the immigration at about 6am... that means 6 hours overstay.

But yes, I'm the nervous type! Can I get an extention for just a day or two ? Can I go to the immig office in samui ?

Can I get an extention for just a day or two ? Can I go to the immig office in samui ?

I really don't think you'll have an issue, unless you intend partying all night at some of the entertainment outlets in the 'dicey' areas of BKK where the police have a nasty habit of turning up to check everyone for, well, anything.

You may even find that immigration will tell you (verbally only of course) to just go to the airport and not 'waste' 1900 Baht on an extension for 6 hours.

Actually you do not remove potential risk by talking with Immigration - only being legal does that. If you are stopped by regular police you could be incarcerated and taken to court regardless of anything that may have been told you by an Immigration Office. The odds are very small in a case such as this however.

But yes, I'm the nervous type! Can I get an extention for just a day or two ? Can I go to the immig office in samui ?

You should be able to get a week extension on a 30 day stamp. I costs something, used to be 1200 baht, it may be 2000 now.

That way you're covered in case your flight is delayed or something happen to make you miss the flight.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys

ive got a similar problem, my visa is running out on the 31st this month and im leaving 10 days later, flight allready booked. I allready extended my visa at the immigration office in bangkok once for 30 days.

anythign i have to worry about ? what will the fine be like ? could i just get another 30 day extension from the immigration office ?

thanks

You should exit country and return with a 30 day entry (if qualified) to avoid any possible problem. You can not obtain more than another 7 days extension and cost will be 1,900 baht so add another 1,500 or 2,000 baht and it will be more expensive than a quick border run in most cases. Plus you risk arrest on overstay.

arrest even at the airport when im leaving ? or will they just charge me for the overstay ?

You are unlikely to have a problem at the airport.

BUT

Any sort of run-in with the police, even just a random check and you enter a world of hurt involving arrest, incarceration in the IDC and deportation, all of which are something to be avoided.

A couple of grand for a border run (assuming of course you are entitled to a visa-free entry and haven't used all your allowance) will evoke that warm, fuzzy feeling of being legal :o

Right - but we had no way to know you had not been here for 90 days before the visa and had no time remaining. If you are in Bangkok there are about 3 services to the border each day in the 2,000 baht range which should well serve you.

thanks for the help :o i might book thaivisarun.com for tomorrow. has anyone used their service before ?

Yep, I've used them a couple of times, no issues.

Give them a buzz to book, IIRC you'll need photos for the Cambodia visa.

Take your flight ticket, some border crossings want to see the required onward travel (some don't but it can't hurt to have it).

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Thanks for your answsers

Kev

My next visa will expire 2nd June and I have a flight booked to Japan June 3rd.

My Flight Departure is 6am so I investigated early check-in with Northwest and found all I have to do is check-in online 3hrs to 24hrs before my flight.

So I am at the departure lounge a few hours earlier, no big deal.

Checkout the airline you are travelling for early check-in details. Most airlines do it now, even with or without luggage.