Thai Maid’s Salary

For those of you that hire a maid, what do you pay her? What do you reckon the market rate to be? If possible, please can you list detail on your situation: Working schedule (days or hours per week), Salary, bonus, other compensation. Responsibilities, work conditions (do you have other staff, does she look after kids, etc)

The reason I ask: I’m looking for data points for comparison. Given the current economic environment we’re in (esp. inflationary pressures on basic living expenses) I believe general disgruntlement/social unrest may be on the rise. In my little part of the world, I’d like to keep our staff as happy as possible—in particular, our current maid, who is kind and honest (if not the best housekeeper). I believe as long as she feels fairly/generously compensated, she’ll continue to be happy to work with us over the long term. She's been with us for over 8yrs, and I don't want a revolving door of maids.

For my contribution to this exercise: Our maid is Thai, in her fifties. She lives outside our house with 2 of her adult daughters and a grandson, and works 6 days/wk—flexible schedule but generally about 42 hrs/wk, 8am-4pm per day. She’s off Thai holidays, plus some others if she asks in advance and we can spare her. She has a variety of duties (cleaning, laundry, errands, some cooking), but her work load is light—plenty of time to talk to friends, play with neighbor’s dog, etc. We’re not very fussy, and we have no kids.

For this we currently pay her Bt10,000 salary (of which about Bt500 goes to social security), and a y/e bonus—last year it was Bt13,000. We do not currently pay for transportation (except to carry out work errands), or food expenses.

Your input/thoughts on this are appreciated.

When you say she lives outside of your house, do you mean in maids quarters, or elsewhere.

If she is living on-site, and from your description of her duties, you are being more than generous.

My friend employs 3 staff in Pattaya in his internet business. They work 7 hrs a day, 6 days a week for 6,000 per month. I would class these as skilled workers compared to a maid, and they have to pay for their own accomodation. And this is not in some village in the boonies, but in Pattaya.

When you say she lives outside of your house, do you mean in maids quarters, or elsewhere.

If she is living on-site, and from your description of her duties, you are being more than generous.

My friend employs 3 staff in Pattaya in his internet business. They work 7 hrs a day, 6 days a week for 6,000 per month. I would class these as skilled workers compared to a maid, and they have to pay for their own accomodation. And this is not in some village in the boonies, but in Pattaya.

A bit more detail: we're in the Sukhumvit area. She lives off-site, with her daughters who are employed elsewhere. She speaks no English.

I'm told that Bangkok-based expats often pay much more then this. Maybe they're paying for English-language capability? Or just paying a very generous wage?

10,000 is a huge salary!

The minimum daily wage rate in BKK is 194 baht/day.

My wife's sister work as a maid in Ratchada area, from 8am to 5pm, 6 days a week, lives off-site and gets 200 baht per day and no bonus. Normal salary.

10,000 is a huge salary! The minimum daily wage rate in BKK is 194 baht/day.

what is the definition of "huge"? the minimum daily wage is for WHAT service? minimum service? 5,000 Baht can be too much for a lazy maid who steals and 10,000 Baht might be too less for a maid who provides a top service.

in many cases (i admit not all) you get what you pay for. an S-class Mercedes costs more than a Honda Jazz!

my maid

40+ yrs, no kids

5 days a week

12:00-16:00

off on international holidays

gets official letters confirming her salary (for bank loans)

already bought a brand new toyota, condo and land upcountry

cleans, cooks, irons, takes care of 5 yr o.

when i am back unexpectedly, she's on the phone with her friends, the child is watching stupid cartoons

uses my shampoo and hair dryer, hand scrubs/ creams/lotions, etc etc to take care of herself

7 000 thb + bts monthly pass

why do i still keep her????

what is the definition of "huge"?

Paying my maid as much as my secretary.

You can pay your maid 100,000 baht a week if you really want, that's not the problem. The question was "What’s the current market rate?" and that's not the current market rate.

The question was "What’s the current market rate?" and that's not the current market rate.

touché, i stand corrected as this was indeed the question. nevertheless my remarks still stand and should be of interest for somebody who is looking for advice.

what is the definition of "huge"?

Paying my maid as much as my secretary.

You can pay your maid 100,000 baht a week if you really want, that's not the problem. The question was "What’s the current market rate?" and that's not the current market rate.

Actually, in my OP I asked "What do you reckon the market rate to be?" I was looking for a number of people's opinion on this, from which I would draw my own conclusions about the market. I definitely appreciate your opinion as one of the data points. But I'll draw my own conclusions about the market, based on a number of factors--and including opinions such as yours.

Bt100K a week would indeed be a huge salary for a Bkk maid, in my opinion. But I'm not sure if I'd absolutely define a huge salary as paying a maid as much as a secretary. It's been my experience that some with the job title of maid do more than some with the job title of secretary. Supply and demand and living costs in a particular area seem to determine price as well. It's very possible that a "maid' in the central CBD might very well cost more than a "secretary" in Ubon Ratchathani.

Anyways, I do appreciate your opinion.

10,000 is a huge salary! The minimum daily wage rate in BKK is 194 baht/day.

what is the definition of "huge"? the minimum daily wage is for WHAT service? minimum service? 5,000 Baht can be too much for a lazy maid who steals and 10,000 Baht might be too less for a maid who provides a top service.

in many cases (i admit not all) you get what you pay for. an S-class Mercedes costs more than a Honda Jazz!

"S-class Mercedes costs more than a Honda Jazz!"

Not only do i have to go back to the UK tomorrow now Naam has shattered my dream :o

Sorry for the misunderstood but 'huge' was for the maid, not for you or me !

I just asked my wife if her sister would be happy to get 10,000b instead of 5,000 and she replied that I was completely crazy because none would ever pay that price for a maid. I showed here some threads on TV so that she could see it's possible and now she told me she would quit her job (she works in the condo office for 7,000b) right away to become a farang maid !

So if anyone is looking for a maid (or 2 with her sister) around Ramkhamhaeng just contact me in private :o

my maid

40+ yrs, no kids

5 days a week

12:00-16:00

off on international holidays

gets official letters confirming her salary (for bank loans)

already bought a brand new toyota, condo and land upcountry

cleans, cooks, irons, takes care of 5 yr o.

when i am back unexpectedly, she's on the phone with her friends, the child is watching stupid cartoons

uses my shampoo and hair dryer, hand scrubs/ creams/lotions, etc etc to take care of herself

7 000 thb + bts monthly pass

why do i still keep her????

:o

serious though: I doubt she paid cash for all that; the Bank probably owns 95% of all that, not her.

LaoPo

For those of you that hire a maid, what do you pay her? What do you reckon the market rate to be? If possible, please can you list detail on your situation: Working schedule (days or hours per week), Salary, bonus, other compensation. Responsibilities, work conditions (do you have other staff, does she look after kids, etc)

The reason I ask: I’m looking for data points for comparison. Given the current economic environment we’re in (esp. inflationary pressures on basic living expenses) I believe general disgruntlement/social unrest may be on the rise. In my little part of the world, I’d like to keep our staff as happy as possible—in particular, our current maid, who is kind and honest (if not the best housekeeper). I believe as long as she feels fairly/generously compensated, she’ll continue to be happy to work with us over the long term. She's been with us for over 8yrs, and I don't want a revolving door of maids.

For my contribution to this exercise: Our maid is Thai, in her fifties. She lives outside our house with 2 of her adult daughters and a grandson, and works 6 days/wk—flexible schedule but generally about 42 hrs/wk, 8am-4pm per day. She’s off Thai holidays, plus some others if she asks in advance and we can spare her. She has a variety of duties (cleaning, laundry, errands, some cooking), but her work load is light—plenty of time to talk to friends, play with neighbor’s dog, etc. We’re not very fussy, and we have no kids.

For this we currently pay her Bt10,000 salary (of which about Bt500 goes to social security), and a y/e bonus—last year it was Bt13,000. We do not currently pay for transportation (except to carry out work errands), or food expenses.

Your input/thoughts on this are appreciated.

I live in a large (178 sq m) HISO condo in the Asok area. I pay my maid 3,000 Baht per month. She works 6 hours a day, 3 days a week. She thoroughly cleans the unit, washes and irons clothes, washes dishes, makes beds, vacuums carpet, washes windows, and about anything else that I ask her to do. For News Years Day and Songkran, I give her a gift of one month's salary. I have had her for 14 months. She is 38 years old and from Isaan.

We pay 7500 Baht a month + lodging and full board.

She is only required to work 6 days a week and is not required to work on holidays, but she chooses to. She is up at 6am and works all day (cooking, cleaning, laundry etc) she pays attention to detail and actively seeks to help out wherever she can, and she does it with a smile.

We might pay more than normal, but we get great value for money. We have always paid the same amount to previous maids but frankly they were not worth it, so we found replacements until satisfied.

We have 2 maids. The first and youngest we pay 6,500THb/month, and she lives in and takes care of our daughter when she comes home from school. We also give her a food allowance.

The second, older maid we pay10,000THB/month and she lives out. She also gets travel allowance of 1,500THB/month since we moved here to Thong Lo from where we were before which was near to her home.

Their starting salary were both 6,000THB/month, put we pay people what they are worth to us. We dont need two maids, but here in Thailand, i firmly believe in keeping good staff as they are dam_n hard to come by. They both work 6 days, about 8 hours per day, but in the afternoons they dont do much apart from sleep. Thats fine by me as they are dam_n switched on, courteous, loyal and honest. I think we are getting a bargain!

Sure Moonfruit I agree with some of your argument but as they sleep half the day it should tell you that they are not exactly overworked are they ? You could save 11.5k a month just keeping the younger one.

What happens if you find another 2 good maids ? will you put them on the payroll as well ?

Sorry but I don't get it with the need to have a "spare" maid.

we pay people what they are worth to us

that's how it should be! if i extrapolate pay+fringe benefits/working hours respectively working days of our three (domestic) employees then they earn more than somebody in middle management of a company. but we don't bloody care that "it is too much". they are happy, we are happy.

For the skill level of your maid and what you require, I would say you about right. Many people who say you are paying too much have never employed household staff so don't have a good basis to determine a salary. In addition, the position of a long-term maid is not comparable to the position of shop-girls making B 5000 per month.

What many don't understand is the level of trust and confidence one must have in a maid. This is a person who has in many cases, unfettered and unsupervised access to your house. Therefore, a very high level of integrity and trust is required in that person. These people can be hard to find and when you find one you want to keep them and have them be satisfied with their working conditions (within reason). Also, like you say, she has been with you for 8 years so some of her current salary, I assume, is from raises. Most Westerners who employ household help want them to be reasonable chearfull as well, and paying them a decent salary helps accomplish this.

Sometimes you will hear about maids who make more than what you pay...sometimes B 15,000 or more. However, these are often for those with extensive cooking and language skills who are employed in higher level business executive or diplomatic residences, where allot of service at parties or formal dinners would be required and these extra skills would be needed.

For the skill level of your maid and what you require, I would say you about right. Many people who say you are paying too much have never employed household staff so don't have a good basis to determine a salary. In addition, the position of a long-term maid is not comparable to the position of shop-girls making B 5000 per month.

Agreed--shop girls and factory workers can come and go, and pretty much anyone can be a paid cleaner. In this particular case though I value the trust and the long term relationship--once lost, these factors are not easily replaced.

So I'm actually happy if the consensus here is that we're overpaying her. Hopefully she agrees with this, since my goal is to keep her as a happy, productive employee--not to cut back on expenses.

Cheers, Misty

Agreed--shop girls and factory workers can come and go, and pretty much anyone can be a paid cleaner. In this particular case though I value the trust and the long term relationship--once lost, these factors are not easily replaced.

So I'm actually happy if the consensus here is that we're overpaying her. Hopefully she agrees with this, since my goal is to keep her as a happy, productive employee--not to cut back on expenses.

It's not even so much the fact that shop assistants and restaurant serving staff can come and go as they please, it's the fact that the potential for loss with them is minimal compared to someone having access to your house (even when you do lock-up the valuables). Having long-tern trusted household staff is a completely different relationship than hiring/paying "regular" business employees. Unless one has employed them, one cannot know how dependant and beneficial the relationship can be for both sides.

As you saying, paying a little over market beats having to find/train/trust a new member of your household staff anyday! :o

What many don't understand is the level of trust and confidence one must have in a maid. This is a person who has in many cases, unfettered and unsupervised access to your house. Therefore, a very high level of integrity and trust is required in that person. These people can be hard to find and when you find one you want to keep them and have them be satisfied with their working conditions (within reason).

but still you find clowns (not only in Thailand!) who boast how "cheap" their maid is and that she works for peanuts and some food leftovers. what these clowns do not take into consideration is that the maid might pee out of frustration in their morning coffee :o chok dee! :D

We've had our maid over three years. She comes three days a week officially (3-4 hours a day) and does cleaning, washing, ironing and general stuff. She often comes the following morning to finish ironing etc. She also looks after the cats if we're away, which is often.

Lovely lady. We pay 4800 a month. I also pay her husband (employed in the building as a handyman) 800 a month to give our two cars a quick clean as and when he thinks they need it. The maid gets a months salary bonus at Christmas, and half a baht of gold as a gift at Songkran.

She's priceless. Heart of gold and well worth it.

In fact, having said that, she's due a payrise . . . .

what these clowns do not take into consideration is that the maid might pee out of frustration in their morning coffee :o chok dee! :D

Kinda like those disgruntled fast-food workers who spit on the burgers :D

Bendix...I too pay a month's salary bonus at Songkran. The gold is an especially nice touch...glad I never thought of it :D

I do, however, have my own homemade medical plan for her...I put in her medical savings account (in my head) B500 per month. At the end of the year, she can have what she has not spent in cash (which is usually all of it) so basically a little more than another half-month's salary...so I guess she gets that half-baht of gold afterall :D

Website below shows the minimum wages per province 144 - 194 a day. Reasonable benchmark for maids.

http://eng.mol.go.th/statistic_01.html

Many Thais will pay below the minimum rate for all sorts of jobs, particularly if manual unskilled labour, (maids included) or if illegal imigrants eg Burmese.

Be fair and pay at least the minimum, but not too much more as excessively overpaying can cause as many hassles as underpaying, and sometimes in some unexpected ways. Seems like you have a decent maid, been with you 8 years. IMO you're not "excessively overpaying", and being reasonably generous/fair. Depends where you live also.

The rates above from Ministry of Labour are quoted in "bath", but I suggest you don't get into negotiating baths with your maid, and pay in "baht" instead. :o

Edited by AFKAFSinLOS