Pattaya Now The Grape Nuts Cereal Hub Of S.e. Asia!

Jingthing

The crunchy nutty-like healthy-like goodness of the classic American brand, Grape Nuts Cereal, is now taking Pattaya by storm.

At my latest visit to Villa Market, not only did they finally have some Grape Nuts cereal in stock (none spotted in many months now), but there are FIVE rows of it TEN boxes deep! I think they probably have more Grape Nuts than any other kind of cereal! Now that is fantastic and I could see it was already selling.

Now folks, please buy the stuff, or it will disappear again.

At 245 baht for a 24 ounce box, it ain't cheap, but this does reflect worldwide grain price increases.

For those who have never tried Grape Nuts cereal, why not try one box? It really is different than any other cereal. You most likely won't go wild over it (the classic way to eat it is cold not hot with milk), but some of you will be revealed as Nutheads and be on the stuff for life, Villa Market stocking policies permitting.

post-37101-1207593579_thumb.png

Edited by Jingthing

At my latest visit to Villa Market, not only did they finally have some Grape Nuts cereal in stock (none spotted in many months now), but there are FIVE rows of it TEN boxes deep! I think they probably have more Grape Nuts than any other kind of cereal! Now that is fantastic and I could see it was already selling.

Definitely an acquired taste...that I never acquired. Tried it a few times in the States and could never understand what the attraction of it was...I'll give it a pass.

Definitely an acquired taste...that I never acquired. Tried it a few times in the States and could never understand what the attraction of it was...I'll give it a pass.

i could never understand what the attraction of cereals in general is.

i could never understand what the attraction of cereals in general is.

Too bad for many milk is a no go..we lose our ability to really digest it

well after childhood. Goat's milk may be a little easier to disgest but I

haven't seen it sold outside Bangkok.

One doctor I spoke to thinks milk shoudn't even be sold.

The crunchy nutty-like healthy-like goodness of the classic American brand, Grape Nuts Cereal, is now taking Pattaya by storm.

Now folks, please buy the stuff, or it will disappear again.

At 245 baht for a 24 ounce box, it ain't cheap, but this does reflect worldwide grain price increases.

For those who have never tried Grape Nuts cereal, why not try one box? It really is different than any other cereal. You most likely won't go wild over it (the classic way to eat it is cold not hot with milk), but some of you will be revealed as Nutheads and be on the stuff for life, Villa Market stocking policies permitting.

May we assume that you'll apologize for calling them liars with the same trumpeting as you displayed HERE?

I find soy milk is acceptable with cereals.

The last time I ate grape nuts (why not the whole grape - just its nuts?) it jarred all the fillings out of my teeth, I didn't realise till later that the fillings tasted better than my nuts! :o

Soy milk works too. Milk on cereal is hardly unique to Grape Nuts.

Do you really think Grape Nuts is an acquired taste? I think you either like or you don't, and you know the first time. I won't apologize to Villa. Having such a staple absent from their shelves for several months was their fault, not mine. My intention here is to let the current Nutty fans know it is safe to go back there. and also of course to establish the fact of a real and constant demand for it here, so that they make sure to keep ordering it. (Please, no hoarding.)

Edited by Jingthing

Hoarding? I don't think so! Not recommended in these parts for cereals or any kind of grain for that matter. I just opened a new heat-sealed bag of flour and found it crawling with weevils. It looked like salt and pepper except the pepper things were scurrying around. No idea how they got in the sealed bag, I always test the bags before purchase by pressing on them to test the seal; I suspect the creatures or their eggs were there when the bag was packed so no way to ensure a bug free purchase. In any case, my new refrigerator has a HUGE freezer compartment and all potential insect-seductive foodstuffs will be packed within it.

Edited by popshirt

Perhaps now is the time to share treasured Grape Nuts "recipes"? Plain Grape Nuts with milk is way too spartan for me. At the very least, it needs some sweetening (honey is best) and chopped fresh fruit.

Here is a recent recipe of mine; be careful as it may induce intense crunchasms:

Jingthing's Pattaya Nuts Surprise

Grape Nuts (amount to appetite but use less than usual)

2 tablespoons Flaxseeds

1 tablespoon Pumpkin seed kernels

honey to taste

chopped apple or sliced banana

milk or soy milk (if using soy milk, it is quite thick so try watering down with cold water)

Edited by Jingthing

Goat's milk may be a little easier to disgest but I haven't seen it sold outside Bangkok.

My local 7-11 sells goat's milk...I assume most others do too. Just look closely in the dairy section...there is one dairy that produces the stuff.

I'm a Captain Crunch Berries guy myself...gotta love that sugar high :o Though I have been stocking up on the Golden Grahams at Villa lately.

Edited by jonniebkk

2 tablespoons Flaxseeds

honey to taste

milk or soy milk (if using soy milk, it is quite thick so try watering down with cold water)

YUCK :o

I love grape nuts cereal . i never use milk. i used to use orange juice but its a bit sweet. what i used to use in the real world was yogurt. i would get my grape nuts, mix with yogurt and add fresh chopped fruit. good meal and yogurt is good for you. i then added a spoon of ground flax seeds for health

Perhaps now is the time to share treasured Grape Nuts "recipes"? Plain Grape Nuts with milk is way too spartan for me. At the very least, it needs some sweetening (honey is best) and chopped fresh fruit.

Here is a recent recipe of mine; be careful as it may induce intense crunchasms:

2 tablespoons Flaxseeds

honey to taste

where do you get your flax seeds in thailand ? i have to have them brought in from the US

They have been Villa market for a long while. :o:D

I have heard reports but whenever I used to look for them in Bangkok (only checked two of the Sukhimvit ones), no stock, no shelf space. Hopefully, they have now found a permanent sell space in Pattaya at Villa. Now if Foodland was smart, they would stock them for 200 baht, 245 is ridiculous (but of course I will pay it if I have to).

where do you get your flax seeds in thailand ? i have to have them brought in from the US

Friendship on Pattaya Tai always has them and at a good price too. I also noticed organic ones at Villa Pattaya.

I love grape nuts cereal . i never use milk. i used to use orange juice but its a bit sweet. what i used to use in the real world was yogurt. i would get my grape nuts, mix with yogurt and add fresh chopped fruit. good meal and yogurt is good for you. i then added a spoon of ground flax seeds for health

Yeah, another flaxseed fan. You are correct, grape nuts and yogurt are well coupled. I find it also goes with Sangsom. That last part is a lie.

Grape Nuts cereal in Thailand? Its a veritable craze!

Edited by Jingthing

Why? Doctors I talk to recommend at least a large glass of (skimmed/light) milk per day. I'm 46 and have never had any problems digesting milk, drinking at least half a liter of the stuff daily...

Ob topic: Don't see what's all the fuss about grape nuts though, quite happy with my standard muesli cereal.

Edited by Phil Conners

Why? Doctors I talk to recommend at least a large glass of (skimmed/light) milk per day. I'm 46 and have never had any problems digesting milk, drinking at least half a liter of the stuff daily...

Ob topic: Don't see what's all the fuss about grape nuts though, quite happy with my standard muesli cereal.

Well some people can handle it better than others....some people can

smoke all their lives with no problems too - that doesn't mean smoking is

good for health. Asians in partricular are poor at digesting milk it is said.

I know at least one study that links milk to heart disease and

it is strange that we are the only animal that consumes milk of another

animal and past childhood. I clearly feel bad after drinking milk

but fermented dairy like cheese or yougurt affects me less strongly.

As to the cereal well I believe in paleodiet...eat as little processed stuff

as possible - eat naturally...avoid carbohydrates as much as possible..

So I avoid cereals and stick to eggs, fish, occasional rare beef(good quality

too expensive), some veggies like brocoli, watermelon..........

and to wash it all down..Singa beer :o

I tried those Grapenuts ... A bit like Ovaltine laced cat litter :o

Naka.

I wouldn't know. I have not tasted Ovaltine or cat litter.

Fair enough to say that not everyone, actually most people do not like Grape Nuts, but those that do, really do, and as the brand has been around for over 100 years, that hasn't changed.

Edited by Jingthing

I tried those Grapenuts ... A bit like Ovaltine laced cat litter :o

Naka.

I wouldn't know. I have not tasted Ovaltine or cat litter.

Fair enough to say that not everyone, actually most people do not like Grape Nuts, but those that do, really do, and as the brand has been around for over 100 years, that hasn't changed.

Fair enough ... But next time you go shopping buy a can of Ovaltine, I'm sure you will love it !

Naka.